kason jidd
Years ago

Dante Exum gets front page of The Age

Exum is featured on the front page of The Age today and projected by writers to get the number 1 draft pick (although I don't agree with that one Andrew Wiggins is a lock). This comes after a stellar performance at The Nationals.

Topic #33270 | Report this topic

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Wiggins is absolutely NOT a lock. Parker and Randle are killing him atm.

Good on Exum though. Hope he goes, not high, but to a good fit. That's the only thing that matters.

Reply #448175 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Nice to see him and ball get mainstream exposure. I think Parker is really showing a lot and Im not so sure Wiggins is a lock anymore. I think if Dante can get in the top 5 or 6 that would be a pretty good effort.

Personally Im hoping the C's can somehow grab him.

Reply #448176 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Could be a massive injection for Australian basketball if he gets picked and has an impact. Such a shame an NBL club couldnt convince him to play a few games before he went over there from a marketing perspective.

Reply #448183 | Report this post

kason jidd  
Years ago

Not a lock? Sportsbet are paying $4.05 for any player other than Andrew Wiggins' to get the number one pick if you are feeling confident.

Reply #448187 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I like Dante Exum, look forward to him becoming a stat... but does anyone else think he might start out undercooked a bit next year? get knocked around a lot by much bigger bodies and see more bench time then court time?... I do hope not. He is a superstar amongst his age... but as a kinda skinny 18 year old against men... I think he might get outmuscled out of a lot of the action?. Just a thought... hope not.

Reply #448189 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

So many commentators had 'locked' Wiggins in as their No. 1 and wouldn't even entertain ideas that he might not be so, even before playing a single game of college. I think many attitudes might be changing seeing as Wiggins while certainly talented hasn't been all that impressive. Jabari Parker looks much more NBA ready and more rounded

Reply #448190 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

People could say the same about Wiggins getting knocked around in the Nba with his frame. No doubt Exum will hit the weight room once he is drafted and will add some bulk. I personally can't wait for next years draft to see where he ends up, along with Jabari who has been solid so far.
College season has only just started so Sportsbet doesn't mean much right now. I love Wiggins but if Jabari and Randle keep playing the way they are they will surely push him for #1 pick.

Reply #448192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would take the 4$ for that from sportsbet. Parker is much more of a complete player than wiggins

Reply #448194 | Report this post

Manut Bol  
Years ago

Dante has said he is still undecided whether to nominate for next years draft. He's still considering playing a year in college to add some bulk to his frame and work on aspects of his game

Reply #448198 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Sportsbet is behind the ball then.

I doubt Exum will go #1, if for no other reason than Wiggins, Parker, Randle and Smart also putting forth a strong case.

Reply #448200 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bogut on SEN radio stated he thinks Exum should go straight to the NBA.

I for one cannot see what benefit college will give Exum as it could more easily hurt his draft stock rather than improve it.

Reply #448201 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

It doesn't matter how much better Parker and Randle play than Wiggins,he'll still go number 1 because of his potential athletically and his ceiling rather than his current ability which is well below Parker's all round skills and Randle's brute force.

Reply #448203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly LC, if people are talking about you possibly being a Top 5 pick you don't fk around you go to the NBA.

Who cares about how skinny he is and how many years he will need to develop (hello D-League) he can do all that whilst earning millions of dollars a year and set himself up for life even if he only lasts 2-3 years.

If he gets his arse handed to him in college or does his knee or something his stock might drop so low in just 1 year he might not even be a 1st Rd pick the following season.

Look at Schenscher in college at Georgia Tech they were all saying he would be a 1st Rd pick, he didn't leave early hung around, his stock dropped and he didn't even get drafted.

Reply #448215 | Report this post

Manut Bol  
Years ago

^ yes totally agree!

It came strait from the horses mouth in an interview on ten news this evening. He said he was still considering college ball for a year etc.
I'd be more inclined to take boguts advice.

NBA teams will be picking him now on his potential not for a ready made player

Reply #448217 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Bleacher Report has Exum at 3 last time I looked and a lock for top 5.

You would be going straight to the NBA imo, College would prob only benefit his sex life at this stage.

Reply #448221 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Slightly off topic, but watching evan turner play the other day reminded me a lot of Exum...

Is that his ceiling or his worst csse scenario?

Reply #448226 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yes Mystro.

Going to college would be another way of improving his shooting game (if you know what I mean hahaha)

Reply #448227 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

I managed to capture this drive & dunk yesterday by Exum at the Australian School Championships

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmLEeF8c08U

Reply #448234 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

He almost looks like he is just cruising through.....certainly a few kids who'd be pumped to be trying to guard him.

Reply #448237 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Mystro, from what I've heard about NBA players over the years, being in the NBA won't hurt his sex life either ;)

just as long as he doesn't pull an "every pro athlete ever" move too soon...if you know what I mean ;)

Reply #448238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very interesting NBA Draft prediction here:

http://nbadraft.net

Reply #448239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like the majority of first round draft picks over the yrs he will get lost after the first season. DO the research and see how many of these guys are ACTUALLY playing in the a decent NBA team and getting minutes, you will be surprised. He needs to got the college and toughen up for a season or two. Even graduating would be an idea as at least he would have a decent education. The money will still be there no matter what.

Reply #448240 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

The kids guarding Dante in that video look like they would be lucky to have hit puberty yet

Reply #448246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thankyou #448240. This 'don't go to college because you might decrease your stock' is utter bullshit. If you're legit then there is nothing to worry about. If you're not then you will get found out very very quickly. Why would an NBA team fork out millions on a player that has done nothing internationally senior wise, and refuses to test himself against the best at College? The NBA is not a development league, you're expected to produce straight away.
Go to one of the big colleges, pay your dues and have a LONG NBA career. Don't try and get in through the backdoor on hype and be a bust.

Reply #448250 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think there's no question an NBA team will pick him, and early on in the draft, so I dont see why he should jeopardise that at college.

It's like having a job but offering to go for another round of interviews anyway.

Reply #448251 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Scenario: Exum goes to college and heaven forbid he suffers a serious injury. What then?

Top 5 in the next NBA is a no-brainer.

Reply #448268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly - why pass up guaranteed $?
Only fools would do it (aka two anon's above).

Reply #448269 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

His PR person has earnt their pay this week; apparently there's a profile in this week's Sports Illustrated too (due out this afternoon).

Reply #448274 | Report this post

sharod  
Years ago

Where is Dante now? Just wondering if he remains in Aussie before the draft, how the scouts see his true potential (to decide his draft position) without seeing much of his play against players in US?

Reply #448283 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

what are the chances that he does well and takes up a US passport to play for the US instead of Australia?

Reply #448284 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

hoopie... zero percent chance. Simply not happening. The guy bleeds green and gold.

And if he actually wanted to, it would be an uphill battle because he has already represented us at Junior level. Basically, No... not happening,,, hes too well grounded and has too much respect and love for the country to turn his back like that.

Reply #448285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's already represented Australia

Reply #448286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He played for the Boomers in the Oceania series, FIBA sanctioned games. Boomer for life.

Reply #448287 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would an NBA team fork out millions on a player that has done nothing internationally senior wise, and refuses to test himself against the best at College?
Because they've done it before and the top six picks are guaranteed $5m over two years. Blow out your knee and you can forget that.

I heard that he's already had and turned down fairly high endorsement offers.

Reply #448293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dante Exum > Thon Maker

Reply #448294 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

He will be a boomer it's just a matter of when, will he make 2014 team or focus on NBA draft or will he wait until 2016 by which time he could be starting

Reply #448295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, if he was worried about blowing out a knee then he shouldn't be playing in the schools competition on right now.

Reply #448307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm probably also in the minority camp of wanting him to go to college. In part for the selfish reason that I like college basketball and am curious to see how dominant he is at that level. I feel in many ways the college basketball environment is a better environment to work on his game than the NBA, with more practices and a more gradual difference in standard to adjust to etc.

I totally get the guaranteed money argument though and I'll still be pumped to see him in the NBA right away (which looks like the way he's leaning anyway). He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would let money be the deciding factor in his basketball career however, so I won't be surprised if he does choose college if he thinks he still needs time to develop.

Also are internationals like Ben Simmons who are playing High School in America counted as locals and thus prohibited from going straight to the NBA and skipping college? He's committed to LSU so it doesn't matter but I was kinda curious.

Reply #448313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dante really dominating right now despite his opposition being the mighty Launceston College.
It's not even half time yet and he already has 5 points on 1/7 shooting.

Reply #448371 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I haven't seen much of his play outside of the sparse Boomers minutes, but he didn't look like someone who'd excel in college right away. Second and third years, perhaps. And surely not right away in the NBA either. However, his stock is high as we all know. Lock in the money and worry about D-League or sitting on the bench afterwards.

Not sure why he's playing a high school tournament. Guess he has to keep in shape and do something. Could get injured in training, plus he wouldn't have to push himself too much against that level of opposition.

Output in the schools tournament so far, from what I can see online:

(stats not working for first game)
32/7/8
37/12/7
12/3/4 (during third quarter; McVeigh has 29)

Reply #448376 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dante really dominating right now despite his opposition being the mighty Launceston College.
It's not even half time yet and he already has 5 points on 1/7 shooting.
He finished with a triple double of 27 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists. McVeigh had 41 and 11 on 17/35 FG.

Reply #448452 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

aNONYMOUS -"Dante really dominating right now despite his opposition being the mighty Launceston College.
It's not even half time yet and he already has 5 points on 1/7 shooting."

WHAT A HATER!

well, he finished off with a triple double.. so rub your nose in that you moron

Reply #448464 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754