Isaac
Years ago

Bevo to coach Shanghai Sharks

Rob Beveridge is off to coach the Shanghai Sharks.

Topic #33272 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Answers those questions about "what happened to that China gig" quite nicely.

Reply #448204 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Good on him

Reply #448205 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

With Goorjian and Bevo coaching in china... watch Chinas league point per game averages slide, watch defence become dirtier.. and watch basically the Chinese game "Australianize"

Reply #448210 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ And get rich whilst doing it!

Reply #448212 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Gueswhosback...

Why can't you just congratulate a fellow Australian Basketball identity on landing a good gig and let it be?

Why does it have to be negative?

Reply #448216 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Lol? your making it sound like I got a grudge against the guy? ... No... I am just saying you got 2 defensive coaches now in that league. the kind of coaches that did really push the bar in what is acceptable for defense. He is still a very good coach... and its still a good gig.

Reply #448218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China is refereed a whole lot different to just about any league in the world. Wont make a dint

Reply #448223 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Goorjian and bevo seem an odd fit for China. I can't imagine coaching makes much of a difference there. It's basically harlem globetrotters style, with a very poor standard of play. Keep getting them cheques fellas.

Reply #448225 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mick, it definitely used to be average but the standard is improving pretty quickly in China. They are getting the benefits of the Yao-inspired upsurge at the moment, just as we got the increase in standard of the Jordan-boom in the late 90s.

GuessWhosBack, Goorjian (post-2000) and Beveridge's teams were amongst the highest scoring in the NBL each season, which most years has the highest scoring rate of any of the top 10 leagues in the world.

Under Goorjian the Boomers were the second highest scoring team at the 2008 Olympics and the highest ever scoring Australian team at an Olympics or WC.

Under Beveridge the U19 team were the highest scoring team in the 2003 WC, the highest ever scoring Aus U19 team and ran up the largest score in an U19 final.

So while it might not be a personal grudge, it is definitely a lack of research!

Reply #448228 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Having seen Goorjian & Bevo coaching, both advocated all players being able to take the shot when it was available so to argue that their focus on defence came at the expense of scoring is a nonsense.

Reply #448232 | Report this post

Historian  
Years ago

Maybe the Sharks think it's about time they hired the bloke that oversaw a 66-23 thumping of them 2 years ago

Reply #448233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL GuesswhosBACK just got owned by facts!

Reply #448242 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Goorjian's teams were excellent on both sides of the ball. Bevo at Perth, not so much but he was just plauing to the strengths of his roster.

Reply #448244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless Bevo gets the home cooking he had in Perth & an owner spending 2x the opposition, he won't enjoy the same success. But good luck to him. Good to see more Aussies abroad!

Reply #448258 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Lawl.

Reply #448259 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yao Ming is the owner of the Sharks!

Reply #448260 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Alright. I was owned by facts. I still contend they are primarily defensive minded coaches.

Reply #448261 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Bevo did advocate all players taking the open shot; I just wish that at some point he rescinded that license to Bartlett .... ._.

Reply #448263 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, Bevo handed out too much of a licence sometimes!

Reply #448267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But...but... he was going to coach New Zealand! ;)

Reply #448276 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754