Isaac
Years ago

Eagles win both games against Sabres

In the womens game, Forestville won 89-70.

In the mens, the undermanned Sabres were massively outshot by the deadly Eagles, losing 102-137.

Jason Dix was unstoppable, registering 36 points (15-26 FG, 3-6 3P and 3-5 FT), 19 rebounds and 6 assists. Matthew Gange added 26 (6-7 3P) and Matthew Sutton had 9 points, 7 rebounds and 8 assists in an all-round performance.

For Sturt, Darren Ng had 33 points (13-22 FG including 3-3 3P), David Shepherd scored 19 and Tom Finkemeyer had 14. Oscar Forman was scoreless in the second half and had a single rebound after half-time to finish with 11 points (5-16 FG) and 7 rebounds.

From the Sturt boxscore, only Forman's line looked below expectations. They shot 48.8% from the field, had Ng's 33 and three other players in the teens and a couple on 9. But Forestville put on a freak-shooting display that saw them make 58.3% from three-point range, and finish with 48.4% for the game. 15-31 three-pointers compared to Sturt's 5-15 (45-15 on the scoreboard). 34 assists to Sturt's 15. 54 rebounds to 39 from the Sabres.

It was 55-68 at half-time, and the Eagles won the fourth 39-24 as the end of their bench kept the momentum to make more baskets.

Newley and Mottram were at the end of the Eagles bench in street clothes. Sturt, missing starters Paul Bauer, Todd Gower and Marcus Hackendorf, and early sub Tom James-Martin, were forced to play Shane Breheny in the first quarter, put Michael Humphrys on before half-time, and start Mark Bauer (who averaged less than 4 MPG over the first 9 games of the season).

Seemed to be few fouls called for either team. Forestville's shooting percentage seemed much higher -- I can't remember seeing them miss a three-pointer in the first half! Sturt really missed Gower's defense against Dix and having two extra guards who would've been handy in dealing with Forestville's early full court press.

All up, a bit painful to watch as a Sturt supporter! I guess I was lucky that I couldn't see the scoreboard from the corner of the stadium.

Topic #3328 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

A 35-point win? Heck, Cameron Wood could'v gotten game time out of this. Does anyone know?

Re Newley and Mottram - will they play again this year?

Reply #38388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done eagles! Great games by both sides. Where does this place us on the ladder?

Eagles

Reply #38404 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Moses, don't think so.

Reply #38408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mr Cameron "No Fouls On Me" Wood got some good minutes and did well.

Newley & Mottram are learning how to be Team Managers giving out drinks and towels, getting free lessons from Mike Sweeney (the new U20s State Coach)

:P

Reply #38433 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754