OFFSEASON
Years ago

SEABL 2014

Any rumours or movement in the upcoming season. I see Gerard Leonard has gone back to Kilsyth. Kilsyth may struggle I think in the mens as they are going with young local players mostly. Women should go ok.

Topic #33283 | Report this topic

Rhea  
Years ago

The same Gerard Leonard that was a pretty average chucker in Div 1 Big V??

Woah

Reply #448391 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Some clubs cutting there budgets so not as actively recruiting.Things should start to fire up a little in the coming weeks.

Reply #448392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adam Doyle has signed for Knox

Reply #448393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does that mean the interstate 36ers development players end up at the Eagles!!

Seriously though surely Adelaide had players as good as if not better than those two. Why are locals not being supported fully in those roles? The 36ers want us to support them but are not necessarily supporting SA basketball especially in these type if roles.

Reply #448402 | Report this post

OFFSEASON  
Years ago

Rhea
Yes the same G. Leanard?

Reply #448405 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

A few of the Melb clubs are looking at the Junior/college returnee option as a few clubs have reveiwed the $$$ side of things in the current economic climate.

Reply #448407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is in the Men's AIS team?

Reply #448411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballarat shafted Shaun Bruce and are not resigning him. Their loss, horrible coach and administration (Peter & Nick). Great servant of the club, played for peanuts and did a hell of a lot in his own time to promote club.

Look out when he destroys you if he plays SEABL next season!

Ballarat to be bottom 2 again this season.

Reply #448416 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I'd take Bruce any day.He wont have any problem finding another club. I think you'll find alot of teams will be similar to last year. Will Frankston sign Long and two imports?

Reply #448438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Polk fielding offers
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/local-sport/chargers-on-hold-as-brandon-polk-fields-offers/story-fnj92b0f-1226775493487

Reply #448471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sooo Kilsyth get rid of O'Hea and bring in Leonard? I don't understand. I thought they were meant to be going through a development phase.

Does anyone know what's happening with the other core guys?

Reply #448486 | Report this post

OFFSEASON  
Years ago

Masunda - Hobart
McMillan - Having season off
O'Hea - Nuna
Bridgewater - Waverley

Reply #448504 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Any word on other movements?

Sandy have been keeping a low profile thus far

Nuna interesting move with O'hea...are they keeping Sheppard? They are the same type of player.

Kilsyth going for youth might have a tough year & leonard is an interesting signing that raises some questions about direction when they let O'hea go for a guy whom has been plugging away in D1 of Big V.

Knox look like a good young core together with expereinced imports so pending other expereince signing they will be improved from last year.

Geelong - They will be tough as always.

Albury - Will depend on how the imports go....but the Big V signing will be an interesting one!

Hobart - Pending the imports i like some of the other moves they have completed.

Reply #448507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find O'hea wanted out of Kilsyth to go back to Nuna with the coaching change, not the other way round.
Also Leonard left Kilsyth because of Wallace but now that he's gone he's most likely happy to return.

Reply #448508 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Leonard will merely play his role off the bench surely?
What happened with Shaun Bruce at ballarat ? I can't imagine it would have anything to do with coach flint.
Wilcher coming bak to sandy after his stint in England?

Reply #448549 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Wilcher signed with Bendigo 6 weeks ago.Fischer will play the 1 for the Miners.

Reply #448550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra to announce Shaun McEachin as coach.
No players onboard yet.

Reply #448551 | Report this post

Whitey  
Years ago

Polk has signed with Frankston. Woohoo as a chargers fan I am estatic, thought he was very one dimensional and was a liability on defence against athletic 4's.

With masunda signed lets grab a decent size centre, and another Jordan Gregg type and we will be competitive.

Reply #448747 | Report this post

Talias  
Years ago

Kilsyth are going to struggle. Their full starting five aren't returning bar Lang. I'm surprised they didn't keep Masunda. Also don't understand the Leonard .

@whitey how do u know Polks gone to Frang? Thats a big gap im the Hobart lineup. One dimensional? I'll take a 20 and 10 one dimensional import any day.

Reply #448755 | Report this post

Talias  
Years ago

If Frang can grab another import and keep Long they'll be tough as shit!

Reply #448756 | Report this post

Whitey  
Years ago

80 percent of the offense went through him, and he was permanently camped in the post. Which makes boards easier to come by.

He needs to be more athletic in his play, in my opinion.

I will have to find a source for him going to Frankston, but the word in Hobart is he is gone.

Reply #448759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Franga know what they are getting in Polk?

Reply #448779 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Frankston made an offer to him months ago as girlfriend lives locally.Great fit for FRankston as havent had a 5 man since Gruber.

Reply #448800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone knew that far from a secret at all.

Reply #448824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't want to be basing a career move on having a girlfriend in another state as the major reason to be moving.

Reply #448842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what ive seen most imports wouldn't need to move state to have an interstate girlfriend/s.

Reply #448855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Observant ;)

Reply #448872 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

36ers development players already playing for Forestville in Under 23 program!

Another recruiting coup for the club developing in the junior to senior transition

Go Eagles

Reply #448890 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Frankston have signed a new import. No not Frankston Blues but Frankston VFL have signed Alex Starling who had a stint with the Sydney Swans. Paid his own way out and the club has fixed him up with a job.Be interesting to see how he goes.

Reply #449022 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He'll be looked after well down in Dolphin land! Given we also have Leigh Kitchin who played U18 for Australia we could put together a nice little basketball team as well.

Reply #449025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frang are looking at Calvin Henry again from a report on the weekend

Reply #449031 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

There is a also Paul Kennedy who played at Chelsea Big V down at the Dolphins.Henry left Frankston on good terms and i wouldn't be surprised if he resigned. Ticks all the boxes off the court.

Reply #449040 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, but he's a bit old and slow that Kennedy fella.

Reply #449050 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Must be the pony tail. Is he playing football this year?

Reply #449054 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not sure. Maybe, but maybe Gulls again, trying not to think about it at the moment!

Reply #449059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is Franga going to have 3 imports?

Reply #449063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ massingale and Lester to Bulleen big v

Reply #449073 | Report this post

Tiger watcher  
Years ago

CJ could have 40 every second night in big v....Bulleen would have to pay top $$ to get CJ.......

Reply #449080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why won't they? Both of them are past SEABL.

Reply #449081 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

So if CJ averaged 40 every second night he would actually only average 20 on the season? Not bad but not the best ever either

Reply #449090 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Lester looking around wont be at Knox.Frankston only 2 imports including Chuck.No money.
Thought Paul you would of started pre season by now.Isn't running up and down Olivers Hill inviting???

Reply #449092 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Right now, running up and down a court is much more inviting than that bloody hill!!

Reply #449111 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Whats the odds of you playing Big V?

Reply #449112 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Reasonable, Im a long way behind the eight-ball if I go back to the Dolphs, a lot of work to be done to catch up and my legs aint what they used to be.

Reply #449113 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

How did you get the gig with FIBA?

Reply #449127 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Back in 2006 when I was studying freelance journalism I just emailed them and offered to write for free. I did that for a few years then they started sending me to tournaments, and now I write a weekly opinion piece.

It's a pittance money wise, but it helped me get my current gig with Pagemasters which is a really good one, plus I get to travel to different parts of the world watching international basketball courtside!

Reply #449131 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Just goes to show if you bang on enough doors eventually one will open.

Reply #449146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Pichon to Hobart, Bendigo or will Sandringham get him back?

NW Tas may be close to signing a former SEABL MVP

Many fringe NBL players shopping themselves around at the moment, hoping to earn a chunk of cash in between seasons. Cashed up clubs like Bendigo, Nunawading, Hobart, will be in the hunt but expect a few to play Big V as $$ seem to be becoming scarce in SEABL. However, Some big signings to come for sure.

Reply #449244 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

What's the average SEABL salary?

And the top-end?

Reply #449247 | Report this post

SEABLWatcher  
Years ago

There is a big range in salaries in SEABL with some clubs paying most local players nothing except bonuses for making playoffs, etc & others paying several starters $5K-10K a season plus providing accommodation & other perks. Most NBL players would be more again I expect.

Reply #449252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One club just signed a lower end bench guy for $50 a game guaranteed even if dont get on court.

Reply #449253 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Few Big V teams are chasing the end of bench Tigers guys as they are cashed up., but depends if those NBL guys need the higher comp or are after a few extra $$$

Reply #449255 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Things have been a little quiet this pre season but that is all about to change BIG TIME!!!! Watch this space for a bombshell!!

Reply #449266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

absolute bombshell...people will literally blow up

Reply #449271 | Report this post

SEABLWatcher  
Years ago

Actually, a bombshell doesn't make people blow up (unless they swallow it).

Just sayin'.

Reply #449277 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Depends what's in it I suppose...

Reply #449285 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

It will shock people more than Packer-Kerr....

Reply #449286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McAughtry resigned.

Reply #449288 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Didn't see the McAughtry thing happening...came a little from left field but good luck to him in the future he is a nice guy and wish him well.

Reply #449289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a few new coaches in the league this year.
brisbane
canberra
hobart
kilsyth
frankston

Reply #449290 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see how they all go....does this annoucement at frankston effect them signing players?

Reply #449302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id imagine it puts a halt to everything. How can you sign players without a coach? Surely you let the coach pick their team?

Reply #449308 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

You would think the coach picks the team rather than the administration....

Reply #449327 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They might just hand the reins to the assistant?

Reply #449328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's plenty of precedence of administrations thinking they know more about player recruitment and team structure than the head coach....

Reply #449329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signing Polk caused the resignation?

Reply #449364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Polk been confirmed at Frankston?

Interesting times down there. Many issues...

Reply #449489 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm sure Runchey is thanking his lucky stars hes out of there.Dont think the mens program has signed any players going into the Xmas break.

Reply #449494 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They have signed players but not any main guys as far as I know.

Reply #449496 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

You might get a game Paul?

Reply #449497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Polk has signed so that's a main player.

Reply #449501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Polk may not have signed.

Reply #449580 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

CJ Massingale has signed with Sth District Spartans and Zach Henifen returns for 2nd season.

Reply #449601 | Report this post

SEABLWatcher  
Years ago

Now that is big news Happy Days

Reply #449610 | Report this post

pandora  
Years ago

has anyone told massingale he has signed?

Reply #449611 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Thanks SeablWatcher got it off twitter this morning.Blues new coach has been appointed.

Reply #449613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston coach - no it hasn't

Reply #449642 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Internal appointment.

Reply #449649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope that means Simon got the gig!

Reply #449650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ, Henifin, George, Tueta, Kenny.

Nice starting five for Spartans!

Reply #449782 | Report this post

Tiger watcher  
Years ago

If they can get another NBL develop player and a couple of depth guys they could be tough

Reply #449783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great starting 5. w's galore for the opposition.
Let's see how CJ's fitness and injury status holds up for a full season. George starting? Surely not.

Reply #449824 | Report this post

Spartan  
Years ago

I think it's a solid 5 with Brebner and another possible NBL development player added. Cj missed a few games last year because of injury and managed it the remainder of the season. To my knowledge from reading he came back weeks earlier than expected to attempt to help a struggling team. He still was in top 5 scoring! Let's not forget he is one year removed from being the league MVP. Spartans technically finished in the top four last year but unfortunately missed out due the point spread system. Adding Cj is an obvious upgrade. Even if CJ happens to have fitness problems and his injury status doesn't hold up he proved that he can be somewhat productive hence last year! Spartans aren't losing anybody for an 3x MVP and one of SEABLs 10 best players in their league history(wow just read that in bio).. They still have to gel and yes a couple of the players are getting older ie CJ George.. Low risk high reward on our part!!

Reply #449846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spin doctors down south!

Reply #449847 | Report this post

bongo  
Years ago

Wonder why people down at Frankston know the real reason why the coach left. Perhaps a certain front office official with too much input. Wonder who will coach now.

Reply #449861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asst it seems

Reply #449869 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bongo, it would be fair to say you've hit the nail on the head!!!

Reply #449878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Franga in turmoil. Like Knox and Hawthorn.

Reply #449914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Spartans technically finished in the top four last year but unfortunately missed out due the point spread system."

Soooooo you technically did NOT finish in the top 4!

Reply #449948 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Spartans would have finished in the top 4 had the coaching staff had half a clue....how dumb can you be to try and send it to OT knowing the points spread...opps i mean not knowing the points spread...!

Reply #449957 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

SEABL have them AGM yet?

Reply #449962 | Report this post

Red36  
Years ago

from what i hear numbers at training went from almost 40 at the beginning of pre-season, to just 5 2 weeks later, not sure that you can blame that on the front office? just another example of a coach used to coaching juniors coming in to coach a senior program without adjusting the way they operate, can't earn the players respect, quits, then looks for a scapegoat on the way out, what a top bloke!!

Reply #449972 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Players aren't going to train without being signed.
Front Office to blame.

Reply #449973 | Report this post

Red36  
Years ago

a few players might've been waiting til they were signed anon, what about the rest???

Reply #449975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way Al is not capable of coaching Men. He is a professional and has a very high Basketball coaching IQ, I'd be putting my money on lack of support from the front office if anything. He would of done everything in his power to of got things done. Leaving for him would of been last resort.

Reply #449976 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Front office was blocking Coach from signing players.Unsigned players won't train as they are not covered by insurance.Now the front office is coaching the team.Go figure!!!

Reply #449977 | Report this post

Red36  
Years ago

Al may have the highest basketball IQ known to man, coaching seniors requires more than knowledge, it requires an ability to lead, with the numbers dwindling i think it is fair to question his ability in this area.
is Nathan Jolly the new head coach anon? i heard he was great when he coached the Chelsea men.

Reply #449981 | Report this post

Red36  
Years ago

Al may have the highest basketball IQ known to man, coaching seniors requires more than knowledge, it requires an ability to lead, with the numbers dwindling i think it is fair to question his ability in this area.
is Nathan Jolly the new head coach anon? i heard he was great when he coached the Chelsea men.

Reply #449982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan Jolly confirmed as the New Head Coach.
Assistant Coach is Santa Clause
Second Assistant is Rudolph

Reply #449988 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Red 36, the numbers were still high at training (all senior levels were training together), the session youre referring to with a low turnout was an off-site fitness session. I think youre confusing that with some other issues.

Reply #449989 | Report this post

Red36  
Years ago

that's interesting Paul, can't say i've ever heard of a program where sessions, in particular fitness sessions were optional during pre-season.

Reply #449991 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Optional before Christmas but compulsary after.

Reply #449993 | Report this post

Red36  
Years ago

btw Paul, the session i was referring to where only 5 players showed, was an on court session at frankston

Reply #449994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's more participation than Knox are getting.

Reply #450002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox get roped into everything......

Reply #450024 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anybody heard whether Mitch Chapman has signed at Frankston as i believe there was some strong interest being shown from further up the bay.

Reply #452489 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I believe Sandringham have Rayshawn Goins as there 2nd import 6-6 4/5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg0eZJ8Es1E

Reply #454759 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Chapman is definitely training at Frankston, dont know whether he has actually signed or not.

Reply #454763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes...Chapman has signed

Reply #454782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goins is a big boy! 198cm and 125kg.

Reply #455713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like some good import bigs coming into league!

Goins at Sandringham
Atkinson at Bendigo
Staff at Canberra
Horton at Ballarat
Johnson at Mt Gambier
Lee at NW Tasmania

Some good ones returning

Ntumba at Albury
Gaff across to Geelong
Polk across to Frankston

Who will have the best front court in 2014?

Reply #455717 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Hearing around the traps couple of NBL players will be playing this season.

Nothin offical yet but 6er's, Kings & Tigers players have been all been mentioned.

Reply #455724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will have the best front court? Why still bother, when no one has seen anyone play yet and still not everyone has a final side.

Reply #455766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hence the question. Who "WILL" have the best front court. Looking forward to finding out!
It's not always about you and your instant opinion #455766...

Reply #455780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Start a fantasy thread for this please.

Reply #455806 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:42 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754