Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers @ Cairns Dec 7

After smashing their first two games coming out of the blocks hard and talk about a Perth-Cairns GF, Cairns have had a 0-7 run, slidding down the ladder in their quest to secure a wooden spoon. They have not won since their Adelaide loss, so tensions in the Cairns camp would be high.

They put up a pretty good effort last week against Perth pushing them to OT before Perth switched on the turbo booster and iced the deal. (could have been a time zone thing) They must be close to breaking that slide. So where are Cairns going wrong? On paper they don't seem to be doing too much wrong. The team is shooting 46% FG%, 32% 3P, 75% FT - not too shabby shooting, but only getting just under 82 ppg. Averaging just over 32 rpg, 15 asg and 3.8 spg. Are they just not getting the shots up? 13 TO’s per game might be killing 'em!

With the Sixers backing up from the Townsville game, Cairns stand a good chance of sinking their fangs into the Sixers and delivering a much needed home court win if they do their homework. Is it just a matter of their fangs not being long enough? Or not enough venom to deliver a knock out?

There will be some good match ups this game. Loughton is Cairn's leading scorer and 2nd rebounder so Peach and BJ will be busy keeping him on a leash. Matty Burston will be pushed by DJ and will have a hard night at the office. Lets not forget Trigger. The 3 spot should be exciting with Frye and Creeky having the edge over Weigh and Mitch Young looks like he could have a breakthrough game any minute.

The guard department provides for some excitement too. Wilson and McCamey v Ervin and Gibson. The Sixers have the edge there, but Gliddon & Steindl v Cadee & Teys could go Cairns way so every possession crucial.

Sixers might have a hard road trip, but they look like taking this one as they know how to close out the tight games. Joey injecting the team with some anti-venome just to be sure. Sixers by 2.

Topic #33291 | Report this topic

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Shawn Dennis made some good points here:
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/will-the-real-cairns-taipans-please-show-up/story-fnjpuwrj-1226776844706
"To me it comes down to chemistry they may not be sure how to work together and a lack of identity," the Crocs coach said.

"They are trying to play at speed, but traditionally Aaron likes the slower, grind it out, style. That can contribute to uncertainty."

He compared this season's Taipans with the Adelaide of old, who for the past three seasons failed to convert talent into wins.

Reply #448556 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Out of all the unusual things to happen so far this year, Cairns having an 0-7 run must surely rank as the least predictable.

Reply #448557 | Report this post

Michael D  
Years ago

My full take on Cairns is up over at The Roar - http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/12/06/its-now-or-never-for-the-cairns-taipans/

There's definitely been some underlying positives for the Taipans in recent weeks, but the fact is they haven't been able to convert that into a W. Having the 36ers on the second night of a back-to-back, on the road, is a perfect opportunity for them.

But at the same time, if the losing streak blows out to eight, that's pretty much their season. Stakes are high.

Reply #448561 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yes, the appealing stench of desperation hangs over most of the games this week, adds a nice spice to proceedings :D

Surprising for so early in the season though...

Reply #448562 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Weighed down

Reply #448584 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

For the sake of the remaining two seasons we've got him, I hope Steven Weigh pulls it together tomorrow..

Reply #448673 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Was hoping the 36ers would beat the Crocs so they'd be a little complacement tonight. But they'll be out for blood now, here's one nervous Taipans fan hoping the snakes can pull it together.

Reply #448754 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cairns for the spoon.

Reply #448758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Taipans could get their lay ups to drop they be up 10+

Reply #448761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers up 43-42 at the half.

Reply #448765 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

dam live stats frozen at 9 min 23 sec to go in the third quarter any one got a score update please

Reply #448768 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Cairns 57 Sixers 52

Reply #448769 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

thank you

Reply #448770 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

2:45 left in the 3rd, Cairns lead 59-57

Reply #448772 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Cairns 68 Sixers 63 at the break.

Reply #448774 | Report this post

Jamie  
Years ago

Taipans 68 - 63 (end 3rd) ...

Reply #448775 | Report this post

68-63 at 3QT after a crucial 3pt shot from Cairns.

Still anyone's game, but in their 8th quarter in 2 days with a 5pt headstart to the locals, will be hard to tip Adelaide over Cairns from here.

Reply #448776 | Report this post

And Jamar Wilson gets the basket and the foul to start the 4th

Reply #448778 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

thanks for the updates I watched the live stats for the syd woll game without a hiccup then the game I really want to know the result crashes so frustrating

Reply #448780 | Report this post

Cairns by 9, 74 to 65

Reply #448781 | Report this post

Couple fouls already against Cairns, both of them on the lighter end of the greyscale.

Reply #448782 | Report this post

Ervin gets a layup on a one-on-one break to cut the deficit from 10 to 8.

Reply #448783 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Cairns 81 sixers 71 6.00 to go

Reply #448784 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Has NBL.tv just gone down like the NBL live stats?

Reply #448785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We are currently experiencing technical difficulties"

Pathetic

Reply #448786 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Yes what a joke, I could run the nbl better than it is now.

Reply #448787 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Unfortunately its not the NBL. Its the company that BA signed to do their stats and NBL.tv who is the problem.

The NBL sadly are pretty powerless to do much about it until the contract runs out.

Reply #448788 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Outta order league should merge with basketball australia really

Reply #448789 | Report this post

Go sixers  
Years ago

I think the nbl need to take a good look at themselves. Nbl live stats down, nbl tv down, tell me, this never happens in afl, rugby league and union, cricket, soccer, afl etc. cannot find anywhere a live score. Nbl are a shambles of an organisation

Reply #448790 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Just saw the score with a little over 2 minutes left

Cairns 91, Adelaide 73

Reply #448791 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Cairns 16 points up 2.26 to go

Reply #448792 | Report this post

Lt44  
Years ago

Who won?

Reply #448793 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

Yeah the only reason that I haven't purchased nbl.tv is because i'm waiting until a better product can be produced. I refuse to waste my money on inferior products

Reply #448794 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Cairns 20pts up 1.18 to play

Reply #448795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way Ayjay!!

Reply #448796 | Report this post

NBL reports 98-78 final score, Cairns break their streak with a 20-pt pasting (largely a 4th quarter blow-out) of the 2nd place team.

Adelaide go 0-2 on the sunshine swing, the second team to do so this year.

Reply #448797 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Sixers definately experiencing technical difficulties

Reply #448798 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

We lost 98-78

Reply #448799 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Two nights in a row we let the opposition score 98 points.

Reply #448801 | Report this post

Jamie  
Years ago

98 - 78 (FT) ...

Sixers season has hit a major road hump.

Very ordinary weekend.

Undone all the good work.

I'm not sure they can get it back on track.

Thoughts ???

Reply #448803 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

nbl tv down, nil stats down, umps back down to last years standard..... Maybe Coles could sponsor …… Down down, Standards are down….

Reply #448804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't guard a chair!!

Reply #448805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL live stats says Taipans up 45-43, we're still in it!

What a complete joke, nbl.tv dies with 6 mins to go in the game and the NBL's live stats still thinks there is 9:30 to go in the 3rd quarter.

Reply #448806 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The Perform Group really do need to get their act together. First live stats go down with 9:23 left in the 3rd, then with half of the last period still to play NBL.tv goes down.

I think the NBL will be glad when Perform's contract is over. I doubt it will be renewed. The league's major sponsor is iinet, they should work out a deal with them to run NBL.tv

Anyway, Wilson scored 30 for Cairns, Loughton 20. For Adelaide out best was Gibbo with 20 and DJ with 12. Any more than that is anyone's guess right now.

Reply #448808 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

@Jamie It's not that bad yes we just lost 2 games in a row but we still retain 2nd spot on the ladder with 3 wins ahead of syd 3rd on the ladder and 4 wins ahead of towns 4th on the ladder. 6ERS now get to rest till next Sunday and extract revenge on cairns at home.

Reply #448809 | Report this post

So I raised some questions about the road form of the 36ers at the start of the weekend when it was 3-2; now that it is 3-4, I can't help but feel that I was on to something...

Reply #448810 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Sixers still not competitive from the three point line and every team has worked out how to slow down their running game and guard them inside. We are not versatile enough as long as our shooting from range stats are weak.!!!

Reply #448811 | Report this post

Jamie  
Years ago

I don't share your confidence "bk".

Hope they prove me wrong over the next few games.

I know home-court makes a huge difference.

Would have been acceptable to have got 1 from 2 on the road though.

Reply #448812 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Sack Joey!

Reply #448813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HoldenV8,

Pretty sure iinet don't sponsor the NBL anymore.

Reply #448814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL's live boxscore now says 0-0

Reply #448815 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

You might be right anon.

Reply #448816 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

@Jamie I was just pointing out that I don't think it's time to panic yet. I'm very happy with the way this season is going. At the start I was predicting to just scrape into the finals (which still might happen)and am pleasantly surprised to be 2nd on the ladder. We have had some very lucky wins and could have easily been down the bottom of the ladder,but the guys have shown guts and determination this season and I think they will bounce back.

Reply #448817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol at the people writing off Adelaide. Its two games in two nights on the road and they are well clear in 2nd. Hey, it might all come undone, but they just won 6 in a row, so is 2 losses a huge deal?

Reply #448818 | Report this post

iiNet definitely are not sponsors - the NBL doesn't have a naming rights sponsor this year.

Reply #448819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will be fine,Joey has made it compulsory that they team bond at a club tonight and forget about the poor weekend.
Party hard boys!

Reply #448820 | Report this post

They have those in Cairns?

Reply #448821 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Nathan, you do realise Cairns is the biggest tourism city per capita in the country, right? Don't you go dissin my city boiiii. Carn the Taips! Champions baby. Champions!

Reply #448825 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Champions?

Whilst I applaud positive thinking and supporting your team, the home record of 2-4 needs to be addressed I think.

Reply #448826 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

The game was closer than the score reflected. Cairns had no answer for BJ Anthony but luckily Joey kept taking him off. DJ didn't turn up to play, he seemed to be getting upset at everyone while he was on the bench. Good all round performance by the Taipans though.

Reply #448827 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

BTW, the reffing was terrible, just like last weekend. Letting ridiculous amounts of contact go. Cairns still managed 98 though.

Reply #448828 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha I know, Marcus. I was just f***ing around because I'm so happy we finally won a game.

A win like this kinda shows that there is in fact a coaching problem. The guys need to be this motivated and consistently focused every night. This shouldn't be a fluke for this team--they are so talented. It took intense fan and media scrutiny just to get up for a game.

Yes, they were up for the first 15 minutes of the Wildcats game, but then they lost their concentration and willpower.

Reply #448829 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

As good as a game plan is, guys need to be motivated to put it in place.

Reply #448830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't hate on the NBL, hate on PERFORM

Reply #448831 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"Joey has made it compulsory that they team bond at a club tonight and forget about the poor weekend". That explains why I literally bumped into Gary Ervin outside the elevator at Rydges on Grafton Street aboout 90 minutes ago. Hope he stays clear of Gilligans. The 36ers don't need their PG out with debilitating herpes.

Reply #448832 | Report this post

Mate...

Reply #448833 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great win for the Taipans and just shows how close the league now is.

Did the Sixers peak early and drop off or just a little blip on the road to the playoffs?

Reply #448835 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Geordie may have lost a battle last week but has he revealled a strategy that might win the war against the "Sixersnation".

So I guess we'll find out whether Joey is a student of Churchill or a George W.

Reply #448840 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Perspective please. Coming off 6 wins, all not easy, hitting injury time where niggles affect not only physical but also psychological wellness and a virus hitting Gibbo who seems flat for the most part. If it's the virus most of my friends have had, it is hanging around creating a lethargy that is in peaks and troughs impressed you can even get out there at all. Its possiible others are brewing it too. One player out of sorts can have a domino effect on the entire team and not only on the bench. Climate too on the road. I can't imagine how a long flight went for Ervin's back, noticed him stretching a lot. Some teams are hitting the home games and the right teams at the right time so the results can be scewed and not reflect the true potential of a team matchup either way. There is an element of luck of the draw and timing for all teams. Yes, umpiring is hit and miss and I am frustrated at the inconsistency swinging between last season and early this, and the variability between the 3 on court. But all I am concerned about is hitting the finals in what ever fashion then praying our team The Sixers are all fit and well, have learnt from the good, the bad and the ugly of the season and play with heart. Win or lose I AM LOVING THIS SEASON AS A GLIMMER OF WHAT THIS NBL CAN BE AND THE POTENTIAL TIGHTNESS OF THE COMPETITITON MAKE IT ALL THE MORE EXCITING. GO ALL TEAMS AND MOST OF ALL GO SIXERS, PARTY TONIGHT, GO EASY THOUGH AND BE KIND TO YOUR BODIES AND GOOD TO YOUR MINDS. I'M LOCKED IN AS A SUPPORTER WHAT EVER THE RESULT.........

Reply #448846 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yeah, Ervin back, Frye and Creeks ankle, wouldn't be easy 2 games in 24hours, assuming box score is correct. Fresh here at home we should be pretty good
Don't try to follow on live stats, it's not pleasant

Reply #448863 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bets for this game were Cairns head-to-head and Cairns by 11+ (paying $6+). Taipans were too desperate for a win and Adelaide backing up after they should've won in Townsville.

Reply #448972 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

"Adelaide , and not as previosly published Cairns, have won. We are experiencing problems with the demerger" Cooper said;"Things around here are getting pretty corrupt." But he changed the subject everytime money came up.
It was just about the break of dawn and the three refs were tumbling along the road. All three were blowing horns. "I've never been so happy in all my life!" sang the one carrying all the money.

Reply #448990 | Report this post

Ervin's stat line is pretty rough reading, but on a positive note, the FT shooting improved for Adelaide.

Reply #448992 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I wouldn't get too worried about an 0-2 weekend with so much of the season remaining. Only Perth has a winning road record. Adelaide will be there at the end of the season

Reply #448994 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The Taipans would be scary under someone like Lemanis.

Run and Gun with Wilson, McCamey and Gliddon.

Reply #449006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect to see Ervin out of action for a bit shortly.

Reply #449045 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I hope the above is not true.

But if Ervin's back is that bad, why was he allowed to play 2 games back to back?

Reply #449095 | Report this post

They may simply have underestimated the problem.

Reply #449096 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754