Upgrade
Years ago

Ref's are their own worst enemy

It seems to me that any ref who is also coaches or starts coaching seems to be more critical of the standard of umpiring than most coaches.

Over the weekend Nathan Durant managed to get himself ejected from the Nunawading tournament for abusing a referee after a match.

Considering he is one of the top level ref's here, should Neil take action to stop the ref's from having a go at each other.

If they want the rest of us to quiet down. Shouldn't they fix their own backyard first?

Topic #3332 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if the ref is going to sue Nathan now? :)

Reply #38407 | Report this post

Figjam  
Years ago

Upgrade - I agree, that refs who coach or play need to show a profesional attitude at all times and this is something which needs to be addressed for all Aba Ref's.

Reply #38415 | Report this post

Figjam  
Years ago

Having said that, basketball is emotional and if Nathan learns his lesson I am sure it would not be a major issue for him

Reply #38416 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

im sorry but nathan will never learn his lesson, i ejected him for the same thing (during a game) during the norwood classic carnival in 2003. he was rostered to umpire but @least the UIC for the day could see fit to ensure that after dealing such abuse he should not umpire that day.

Reply #38453 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Whoever started this topic is an absolute moron. "Refs are their worst enemy".....

A referee is a person just like you and me, and when in a role of a referee nathan is relaxed and knows his role....

And just as every other coach does they get frustrated, and sometimes go over the limit. And this is where referees on the day do their job.

This is just like me coming on here and saying "Coaches are their own worst enemy" or "players are their own worst enemy" for abusing referees causing a massive decline in numbers.

"Considering he is one of the top level ref's here, should Neil take action to stop the ref's from having a go at each other."

And then at the same time we will go to every other person who has ever abused a ref and do the same hey? Yeah great fucking idea!

Reply #38471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But Freddy, If Nathan Durant can abuse referees, why can't everyone else? Or is it OK because he's a ref, so he can do what he likes since they're a precious species these days?

Whilst I don't think that refs who coach should be held to a higher moral standard, surely common sense would suggest that their behaviour towards refs wouldn't be so poor.

Reply #38508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of you have any idea what actually happened so maybe should just leave he topic alone as its not over with yet. And the tournament management are the ones in the wrong.

Reply #38512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with anon (38512). Upgrade; you should check your facts first before misrepresenting what actually happened.

Reply #38522 | Report this post

shane  
Years ago

Remember the code of conduct for both refs and coaches ! And just think how short we are on refs . The way we are going we will not have any refs and no refs no games and it is not just because of abuse it is because of the amount they get payed for that abuse . Nathan is a good ref and as a good ref would get pissed of we the crap . But untill Neil pulls his finger out and looks at the real problem we have to remember the code of behaver act and put up with the refs we have got or as coaches pick up the wishle your self . And I am a coach who can see what the future holds for all the "KIDS" who want to play basketball in the future . So for the kids insead of us all (me included) bitching about the problems help to fix them

Reply #38528 | Report this post

Upgrade  
Years ago

Maybe then it is just North coaches. I understand their U/16 Boys coach was ejected from a game.

Reply #38577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well north lead from the top after all doesn't loveday set a good example chasing ref's into the car park. bailing up evaluators to accuse umpires of cheating, when that is condone why doesn't it surprise me that it filters thru the ranks

Reply #38608 | Report this post

basil faulty  
Years ago

there are better examples

that silver haired ref coaches at sturt and you could not meet a nicer bloke

haebich coaches at west and he is ok

alan fisk is a nice bloke who was coaching at woodville

the u20 west coach refs but he seems a bit sus

Reply #38656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG BUT DIDNT HAEBICH GET KICKED OUT IN THE NORWOOD CARNIVAL

Reply #38810 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:35 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754