Jethro
Years ago

What type of marquee players does the NBL need?

So what would people prefer a team to use money for a marquee player on (if this is bought in)

Would you prefer teams to use the money to bring back the likes of: Matt Nielsen, David Anderson, Barlow, Kickert, Jawai

Or to just help prop up the retirement funds of former NBA players such as Marbury and co?

Topic #33334 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Barlow and few of those others are not going to elevate crowds. Needs to be players like Ennis or name players (ex-NBA) types to get media attention
Ennis is the prototype - plays hard and to entertain and he's there to win.

Reply #449451 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Wouldn't mind seeing Jawai back. As for the other Aussies agree that crowds wouldn't change much. More players like Ennis or Young are what the league needs imo

Reply #449455 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

LOL Kickert? He can stay wherever the hell he is right now..

Reply #449456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickers is actually putting up excellent numbers atm

Reply #449461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Kickert

Reply #449462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact neilsen is retired and living in Perth I think because his body if fucked. Why wwould you bring him back?

Reply #449464 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The thing is that teams are starting to be able to get these players without the marquee rule.

If we do create a marquee rule, it could just result in teams overpaying imports.

If we can get Ennis for 160-200k, why play him 300k under a marquee rule?

Plus wouldn't the marquee rule undo all the parity that the points/salary cap has aimed to achieve?

e.g. The Crocs can't even spend the cap. The marquee rule would allow a team like Perth to spend over the cap. Aren't you just widening the gap between each teams spending capability?

Reply #449465 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Depends how the cap is structured. If it was $850k plus a single player outside the cap, then that might be too problematic.

If I were the league, I'd do more to make sure the NBL was known to upcoming American players. Play here for $100k+ rather than D-League for $25k.

Reply #449466 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Players in the US know about the NBL, according to a number of imports I have interviewed it's seen as a pretty attractive destination.

Reply #449468 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

There it is again, the NBL needs to promote itself!

Just keeps coming up in conversations about the league, time and again, yet we also apparently need to be patient because of all the other things the NBL needs to do since the split from B.A.

House needs to be in order before we look at such things, I agree with MACDUB on this one...

In answer to the O.P. I think a player like Ismail Mohammad is what the NBL needs, not him necessarily, just the prototype (Ennis is also the prototype).

Reply #449469 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

If I was an nbl club I would be talking to as many NBA teams as possible about getting the lower second round picks. Much like an Ennis deal.

Have an NBA out clause so if the team wants them back at any time they can. Teams could even possibly try to make a partnership with a team so they can get access to players who are cut near the end of training camp etc.

Reply #449476 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think the NBL head office are suppose to be figuring an NBA link out.. but we will see how far that goes. I still wonder where the hell NBL's promotion is right now.

Reply #449479 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

The only teams that would get a marquee player in my opinion are Perth, Melbourne and Sydney. Other lack $$$$

Reply #449481 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but does any other team in any other basketball league actually have a deal with any NBA team Re: developing picks & signing players that were cut during pre-season..?

Reply #449482 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Pressed enter too early!

So if there are no deals like that in place (And I can't find any), then there must be a reason. Obviously the NBL aren't the first to have this idea. So makes me think the NBA have stopped such deals happening for whatever reason.

Reply #449483 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Promotion of the league is more important than a marquee player.

Sure a marquee player would bring promotion with it but I think the $150k extra would be better spent on advertising.

Look what the Wildcats have done over the last two years, sure they have Ennis now but last year they didnt.

Would much rather seen signs up around town promoting the team rather than a washed up NBA player looking for a pay check. The NBA die hards might get some interest but wont hold onto it as much as the families and casual fans looking for a good night out.

Teams struggling to use the cap now are just going to become further behind the pack.

Reply #449486 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I would argue that the struggling teams should shape up or ship out because they are holding the league back..

And also.. yeah, advertising is more important. But I actually think that the season should maybe be shortened until we have enough teams,.. right now every second game feels like groundhog day.

Reply #449488 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think building links with NBA clubs is the way to go. Build a level of trust that you are a good place for some of their picks to go to.

Reply #449491 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

If only one import is allowed for teams that have a marquee player (if that person isn't Australian) then that would even things out somewhat.

Reply #449495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Retired NBA All Stars. E.g. T-Mac, Arenas etc.

Reply #449498 | Report this post

thepostup  
Years ago

Agree with Isaac. Ennis has the most exciting highlights reel of any import from memory (and we're only 9 weeks in). The stuff he comes up with will make news bulletins, media reports etc, which is what the NBL needs at this present moment.

Reply #449505 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Let's not confuse promotion with advertising either...

Different, not same!

Reply #449507 | Report this post

Ideally, Ennis stays, Perth wins title, all other teams see the Ennis deal as a prototype to look for and emulate. If Ennis leaves early or we blow it, it might get chalked as flashy-but-ultimately-ineffective!

Reply #449515 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

id love to see a few retired big names come here.

If NBA scrubs like Copeland, Davis and DMac (I mean no disrespect to those greats) can play successfully past 40 y.o.here why cant a former NBA All-Star?

I was devo a few years back when Mark Price was coaching and he was released before playing us, really wanted to get a jersey signed.

2 types of imports draw crowds, high flyers and Names, the rest are just your come and go types who are forgotten as soon as they leave.

Reply #449527 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Yeah... Agree, Perth have been made to forget Kevin Lisch in the most spectacular way.

Reply #449538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with getting an older say 40 year old T-Mac type is

a. will they cost way too much to be cost effective for an NBL team.
b. will they have the right attitude towards their coaches/team mates to help their team win.
c. By 40 D-mac/Copeland were 6th man and within the salary cap probably only worth $100k tops to their team, could you get a T-mac type for $100k, if paying much more is over paying and will hurt the team
d. will they draw enough extra people to cover the cost assuming they come in at $200k +?

To me alot of questions need to be answered before going for the old NBA player, Marbury in China has been successfull but he would be on way more than a NBL team could afford even if our crowds doubled as a result of him playing.

I think clubs are better off get a Ennis type, young guy, working hard to improved and make the NBA whilst still being a good team mate and playing well at both ends of the floor than chasing the old NBA stars who will cost way more and likely be less effective than an Ennis type anyway.

If the league can get back to the point where every club has a Ennis type like it was in the late 90s/early 2000s with KB, Copeland, Rose, Grace, Mee, CT, in the league, still playing top level and having a little NBA experience on their resume, it would be great. Not to forget some of the other top imports ala Farley, Ebi Ere, Chris Williams, all (in their prime) would be marquee in todays league.

I'd like 3 imports allowed instead of a marquee player rule, its been shown that Ervin, Ennis who are basically as good as the NBL will get can be gotten within the current NBL salary cap, the 3rd import will just help give teams a stronger/potentially more exciting rotation, ie how much better would the Crocs look if they could grab a import C, even a Will Hudson type, basically every team has a hole in their starting unit a 3rd import could fill, quite affordably too, and potentially improve the product a bit aswell.

If going to have a marquee player rule i like the idea of a $800k salary cap for 9 players and can spend what ever you like for the last player, but this could send clubs broke quickly if they go crazy/it doesnt work out, so not sure if the risk is needed, id just leave the rules as it is, just encourage clubs to search for Ennis type opportunities.

Reply #449542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three imports would be a plus for teams - perhaps make the rule that the third import has to be under 25 to entice younger imports straight out of the draft pool

Reply #449563 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think James Ennis is the best kind.

Exciting but affordable.

Guys like Ingles, Jawai and Newley would be great to have back but the big spending clubs don't appear to want to structure their rosters in a way to afford them.

Reply #449571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly Mick,

I think we just need all teams to go after Ennis types each year, and the league will be better off than shelling out ridiculous money to get a Newley, Ingles, Jawai type who wouldnt really sell more tickets than a Ennis type anyway.

Reply #449572 | Report this post

I suppose the issue is that its not possible to keep an Ennis type (someone up and coming rather than an already there or end of career type) for a sustained period, so you're always having to work at sourcing replacements. Which is part of why you get them on the (relative) cheap.

Reply #449576 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Have always have thought that Paul Pierce would have been fantastic for the NBL, sort of like Del Piero is for Sydney in the A-League. Coming to Austrlalia means he would have remained a one-team NBA player but could continue playing and having a major impact here.

Just my thoughts.

Reply #449583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea Pierce would be amazing, but could we get him here, for say 150-200k?? i doubt it, thats the problem.

Reply #449587 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Guys like Ingles and Jawai won't generate the excitement that Ennis has brought.

Reply #449609 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

TV news services were wanting teams to sign more Ennis's

Reply #449612 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If you are one of the 3 or 4 clubs that can spend the full cap, you can easily fit in a guy on 300-400k and be competitive. It's just about structuring your roster in a different way. NBA stars on max deals take up nearly half of their team's (albeit flexible) salary cap.

Look at Townsville or Wollongong: they are only spending (by a rough guess) no more than about 800k on their rosters this year (could be as low as 700k)

If you transplant Townsville's roster to Perth, for example (because they can spend the cap), and replace the highest paid import (say it's conklin on 120k ish) with a "marquee" guy, you have that 120k plus the entire cap surplus to spend on them = 320k, with a damn solid team behind them.

It's just about not overpaying your role players.

That's if that is the way you want to build your team...

Reply #449643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats a good point about NBA stars taking a bigger portion of the cap than what NBL players do,

I like your thinking Mick, i wonder if a team will be willing to try it.

Its obviously a case of offer the role players less/lose some depth but get a top end talent and run with a stronger 5-7 man rotation.

Perth in a way have done this, by sacrificing depth at the guard/sf spots but putting in 2 top notch imports, even though neither would be on $300k, but if they were to replace Wagstaff with Prue, and have less depth again they could probably replace Beal with a $200k+ import. I guess the other thing is, would that more expensive import have much more impact than Beal?

Reply #449677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how the 36ers could look if we applied spending 30-40% of the cap on a marquee player.

I reckon we could put together something like this,
(with guestimate salaries)

For the sake of the argument my Marquee player will be Ebi Ere for $350k, as i think his style is sort of a little bit what we lack a consistent perimiter scorer, who can shoot 3s and fts at a good clip, and the cap is $1 mil, min salary is 37k.

C Schensher 100k/ Pero 37k
PF Petrie 100k/ BJ Anthony 37k
SF Creek 100k/ Henry 37k
SG Ere 350k/ Teys 37k
PG Ervin 150k/Daly 37k

Fits in under the cap.

I wonder if a team like that would do aswell as this years team, obviously with alot less proven depth,

I still think Henry, BJ and Daly are solid enough 6-8 men, and would play all of the starters around 30 mins a game, the 2 imports closer to 35.

Is getting a marquee guy worth losing say Gibbo, DJ, Cadee, Frye and replacing them with the marquee guy and cheap guys currently not in the league like Daly, Henry, etc?

Im not convinced either way to be honest, i think in some cases you would be better getting the stud import for $350k and am not convinced this years team would necessarily beat the team i have named above, but also not convinced the team i have named above is better than this years team, so is it worth the risk?

Obviously a starter missing several games due to injury would be disastrous, but also would line ups like that league wide, with imports of Ebi's caliber put extra bums on seats? would paying up for a guy like that be safer than just going for a Ennis type who is basically just as good, but alot cheaper, i reckon in a away you would be safer, because constantly looking for top notch bargains can be tough, but it has been shown it can also be done around the league.

Reply #449684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another way to make it even better allow a 3rd import, often it would be min salary SEABL type, so lets say for my line up above you would bring back CJ Massingale and drop Teys.

So the line up ends up as

C Schenscher/Pero
PF Petrie/Anthony
SF Creek/Henry
SG Ere/Massingale
PG Ervin/Daly

That actually looks very good to me.

I guess the biggest thing with paying stud imports $350k, is we could probably keep them in the league longer term, instead of getting them for 1 or 2 years ala Cedric Jackson, and then having to find a new bargain each year,

would teams be better off paying him 350k, sacrificing roster depth, than having a deeper roster but having to search for a import just as good for $150k, and often not finding it? (ie Cedric Jackson v Kerron Johnson + some roster depth) (fwiw i dont mind Kerron Johnson, he is a good import, but not in Cedric's class nor is basically anyone in the NBL imo, (except maybe Ervin and Ennis?))

Reply #449685 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Depth is way overrated in the NBL anyway. Not many games in a season, just over 1 game a week on average, 40 min games.

It's a waste going ten deep unless the skillsets have no overlap.

Reply #450066 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

LOL. Well seems like you want a whole lot of Ben Allens and Graeme Danns in the league! .. I don't think the leagues depth is THAT great as it is.

Reply #450067 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754