Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Taipans Dec15

Sunday Funday is back at the Adelaide Arena with the Sixers hosting those pesky snakes from Cairns. With a couple of niggles in the Sixers, Doctor Darren would have no time for a game of HORSE with KB this week as the Sixers prime themselves up for a rematch.

Cairns had the better of the Sixers last game, but today on the home court of the Sixers, there will be no welcome mat rolled out. The hot water has been turned off and a flickering fluro installed in their change room just to annoy thm.

Both teams match up quite well so this will be an exciting game to watch and we the game being on Ten as well, there's no excuse not to go to the game and watch the tape later for the bits you missed while you were discussing the finer points with the guy next to you.

Sixers all the way.

Topic #33355 | Report this topic

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The Sixers better not aproach this game as a lock win.

Cairns are playing better now that their record suggests.

I think if Ervin is really having back issues and Frye ankles....then this is the time for Cadee and Creek to really step up.

Somehow I think Loughton and Gliddon will be a big difference here.

I think Cairns by 3.

Reply #449860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're well wrong mc...

Reply #449873 | Report this post

Who am I?  
Years ago

You were wrong during the Marty Clarke era Marcus and you were just as wrong today as well.

Reply #449875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns were pathetic today

Reply #449876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns arent that good, so this is a win the 6ers always should have had. Nice to see them take care of business.

Reply #449877 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Jesus that's pathetic. Ran way too much perimeter oriented offense and when we did get spot up jumpshots, absolutely nothing went down. McCamey stagnated the offence a little too much for my liking. Just a badly executed game. Their mental ficklety showed though. Adelaide kept pouring it on and you never know, points percentage may count come the end of the season. It probably won't with these teams, but it's good practice to play the full 40 every time.

Reply #449880 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Johnson had a good game. Very slippery around the key. Gliddon for Cairns showed why people rate him highly. Mitch Young had a very strong game too

Reply #449882 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

When Creek hit that three mid way through the third to put them up seven, I knew it was over. Out of the mid quarter timeout, we all of a sudden started doubling Schenscher when he was 15-20 feet out, allowing an easy pass out for some subsequent passes and an easy score. It was one of the worst coaching moves I've seen from Fearne all year.

Anyone notice that?

Reply #449883 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Is that our first win this season by more than 5 points?

Reply #449884 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Cairns missed a lot of open looks, especially from the 3 (3 of 24).
They were getting through the 6ers full court press way too easy early and getting dunks and layups.
Loved the 6ers fast breaks and push up the floor. Something that was missing in the Clarke era.
Another home win. Something else missing from the Clarke era.
Joey benched Cadee (and let him know) for not playing intense enough D on their inbounds. Coaches high standards. Something else missing from the Clarke era.

Reply #449886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everything was missed in the Clarke era.

Reply #449887 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Marcus, I don't know why you bother to post on this website, you have a history of disputing the real Adelaide fans. With an Adelaide win today by 24 points, just shows how much off the mark you are. Blind Freddy would have attributed last week's loss to Cairns to fatigue after playing the night before in Townsville and flying and playing again the next day. There is no way you can prepare for the second game in that short amount of time and preparations were on the Townsville game. There is no way anyone with half a brain would have read too much into last week's game in Cairns.

Reply #449888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is that our first win this season by more than 5 points?"

We beat the Kings at home by 13 in Round 4.

Reply #449891 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

What was the crowd like? I couldnt make it because of work and there's no crowd figure on line yet.

Reply #449892 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

I think they said around 4900. But I heard it over the pa at the game so I could be wrong you know how hard it is to hear what's been said at the game. Anyway great game from the 6ers hopefully we can ruin Townsvilles new years eve celebrations next round and live stats works

Reply #449894 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

You guys are lucky we kept missing threes. The game could've been vastly different. We are a team whose offense actually fuels our defense so our whole disposition would've changed if we connected early.

Reply #449896 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Nothing lucky about it 'Statsheet'... You guys were just outplayed tonight... come up with all the theories you like. Last week Cairns outplayed us... But "if our three had been falling, or if gary ervin invoked a point scoring demon" we would have won.

Overall.. good work by the 6ers. Nice to see the old school footage being played

Reply #449897 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

So? Basketball is a make or miss game a lot of the time, GWB.

The old school footage was nice to see. I remember that Stewie three like it was yesterday

Reply #449899 | Report this post

jjb  
Years ago

Adelaide 6-0 at home, good mental buffer

Reply #449900 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Statsheet, the same could be said about any team not hitting shots. Surely Cairns would have options to explore when perimeter shots aren't falling? Also, if Fearne excuses poor defense due to missing jumpshots (which I doubt any professional coach would) Cairns just aren't that good of a team.

Normally I agree with your comments, but this time you're (excuse the pun) 'off the mark'.

Reply #449901 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

For every possession the 36ers ran to perfection, they also wasted one with no ball/player movement.

I vividly recall Gary Ervin dribbling out the shot clock in the 4th when matched up against Stephen Weigh, like it was such a huge mismatch. Needless to say it was a wasted possession. I'm glad Joey was visibly upset with him afterwards.

Reply #449902 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Good to see Stevie Weigh playing like he usually does in Adelaide with only 4 points, 2 rebounds and 1 assist in 19:54 on the court. Now Cairns fans can know what us 36ers fans had to put up with for the past 2 seasons (though luckily for the Taipans he's not doing that for 30+ minutes per game).

Reply #449904 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Hendo8888, its our second win by more than 5 points this season. We defeated Sydney by 13 in round 4.

Reply #449906 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Well obviously Adelaide were generally in control of the play. However as I said, Mo, Cairns' defense feeds off their offense. They played with no intent for most of the game because their shots weren't falling.

Of course the same could be said about any team (because basketball is simply a make/miss game a lot of the time), however 9.9/10 teams aren't as mentally fickle as the Taipans are. Some shots fall while the margin is still a half dozen or so, we start playing harder at both ends, defenses then overplay our jumpshot, we move the ball, get it into the paint and bob's your uncle, we have a contest.

You'll notice the main culprit is McCamey--when he makes just one good play, he pumps out the chest and goes for more. When things aren't going well, he does nothing at all and shoots a necessary three before the end of the shot clock as an excuse for involvement.

Of course Fearne should have drawn up more inside/out plays, however that doesn't mean the statement: "we would've still been in arms length if we hit shots", is wrong.

Oh, believe me, I agree with you in that Cairns are a bad team. They are terrible mentally, which is half of the battle. They are terrible when they aren't hitting shots. When they aren't hitting shots, they aren't confident/aroused; when they aren't confident/aroused, they aren't hustling. It's a vicious cycle. This has been the case since Crosswhite left, because back then we actually cared about defense.

Though, when they are aroused and hitting shots, they can beat pretty much anyone, because their mental state is where it needs to be. I put it down to the coach.

Think about it, three of the team's four wins were because they sourced external motivation. Two of them (Townsville) came against arch rivals, and the other (Adelaide) came under intense fan and media scrutiny. It's pretty clear to me that Fearne couldn't motivate a group of Asian kids to do a calculus assignment.

Reply #449907 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Having someone at the helm who knows what they're doing is long overdue in Adelaide. Joey is obviously a fantastic coach and his results show.

I'm pretty happy I got 36ers to win the championship back when they were paying $9 in preseason. They're about a third of that last time I checked.

Reply #449908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC, fair call that last week was possibly due to fatigue....

Could you however not attribute today to Cairns playing Friday and having to travel to Adelaide for the game?

Reply #449911 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Adelaide looking good this season clearly the second best team in the league

Reply #449916 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could you however not attribute today to Cairns playing Friday and having to travel to Adelaide for the game?
Definitely a factor and often fatigue is something that shows up late in the game. Just as Adelaide were in touch until late in the second half in Cairns, the Taipans were in this one until Adelaide pushed on with it.

Good effort by Adelaide. Spread of scorers early and then Gibbo and DJ got going. Schenscher's contribution was very effective also.

Reply #449955 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We cain't help it if we're lucky.
The harder we worked the luckier we got.
Someone showed me a picture of weigh and I just laughed. He went off to get it autographed.
He's heading for 20 and 10 a game, but not in that direction.
Frye haters can wank themselves up to Cairns.

Reply #449956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd was about 5000.

Reply #449961 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I feel the need to address the Steven Weigh 'issue' (if you want to call it that)... Every time I see a game with Stevie in it commentators rave on about how good he apparently is... Since when?

"He could be a 20 point a game 10 rebound kind of guy".. His numbers have never been remotely close to that. "He needs to believe in himself more and take more opportunities"... Well when Stevie was getting 30 plus minutes a game in 2011 and taking a fair chunk of the shots, what did he really produce. I think he became a half decent role player for the 6ers last year, but he is not a star, he is not a potential star, he is not a "prodigious talent" as some moron in cairns called him.. he is just an ok roleplayer.

What is he 28? He is getting a bit old to talk about potential.. you talk potential about 18-23 year olds. If he is ever going to be any kind of genuine star in the league the time is right now and I just don't see it. Not to hate on Stevie.. I have nothing against him and didnt really jump o the hate bandwagon last year, just saying when commentators start calling him a potential superstar I cringe inside.

Reply #449963 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Law of averages, minutes played - 20 and 10 unlikely.
6 and 3 likely.

Reply #449967 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Weigh is really ordinary, the hype has worn off.

Reply #449997 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Hate on Weigh all you want but the Steindl/Weigh combo is much more consistent than the Frye/Creek combo, especially since Steindl has started.

Reply #450003 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

It's nice to watch an Adelaide game without Carfino going on about Cadee's potential and pedigree, which was all he'd been talking about for the last (however long Cadee's been playing) years.

Reply #450005 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Steindl looks pretty good, as does Frye and Creek.

Reply #450016 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

In relation to Stevie Weigh. For some time he reminded me of a guy like David Hookes who has all the potential and dominated state cricket, but could never replicate that dominance at international level. Talented, but too good for one level, but not good enough for the next level (i.e. NBL)

But if you look at his stats according to NBL perhaps that is a wrong assumption to make:
162 games: ave 9.5 ppg @ 40%, 1.4 apg, 4.3 rpg FT% 78%

Those numbers are pretty handy and if you compared him to say Tommy Greer
208 games: ave 4.0 ppg @ 39.1%, 0.5 apg, 3.4 rpg, FT% 68.8%
or Lucas Walker
90 games: ave 6.4 ppg @ 49.5%, 0.9 apg, 4.8 rpg, FT% 67.6%
or Jesse Wagstaff
133 games: ave 9.8 ppg @ 42.4%, 1.1 apg, 3.8 rpg, FT% 81%

He doesn't actually stack up too badly.

So, bearing that in mind, what does he do to annoy people?

Reply #450029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get force fed too many minutes?

Well at least at the 36ers anyway. The rumour always was a certain amount of court time was in his contract here.

Reply #450030 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Jack Toft, you are making a great case for why just analysing stats often doesnt tell the story.

Reply #450032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would've if he had included mpg and in Weigh's case 3pt%.

Reply #450036 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Paul,
quite correct. On paper his stats are nothing to be ashamed of. Just under 10 ppg is a pretty handing scoring average. That's what I am saying. What is it about the guy that haters hate and commentators say she should be doing more?

Reply #450038 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

The word potential is just that, "a word." Means nothing in what a player does.
If he only scores 6 points and has an average field goal percentage then he is just that . "Average"

After watching Weigh at the Sixers and hearing terms such as leader, potential, etc, those terms did not register. Now seeing him on Saturday night, those terms definately do not register with Weigh. He is now at his third NBL club and should be experienced enough to be past the learning phase. But when Cairns need someone to stand up, it is not Weigh. Gliddon, Steindl and Young showed much more.

Reply #450039 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The reason a lot of people get on Weigh's case is because they have heard through commentary and such that he is a developing superstar.

NEWS FLASH:

He has never been great!

The reason he received so much hype is because he came into the NBL in the days where college kids didn't come over here. We said "oh he went to college so he has got to be good...will be taking the league by storm very soon." And that reputation has stuck. IT'S TOTALLY WRONG! Check his college averages. I'm surprised that even those in the know on this forum think he's a talent/has potential. He's not and he doesn't. Unfortunately, he's a never-has-been.

He came from college and has a fantastic physique. But he has never been great.

Reply #450041 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Cairns have Loughton, Trigger, Wilson and Gliddon who would be considered ahead of Weigh in the scoring pecking order. Then he also has to compete with Steindl, McCamey, Burston and Young. I'm glad his on my team because he's one of the most fundamentally sound players in the league.

Reply #450043 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Weigh is a very very good athlete. He is a smart baller who listens and completes instructions and so coaches love him. Clubs love him because he doesn't cause trouble and is a good locker room presence.

He is dependable at his role without being next level. He has the mindset and the tools to get there just not the swagger confidence or perhaps "me first" attitude that next level needs of him.

Granted he was given plenty of rope in Adelaide.

Reply #450045 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Jack, I think it's because every now and then he produces a great game where he shows just how good he can be. People are waiting for him to do that more often, perhaps not all the time but semi-regularly.

Re the hate on this forum, I think he is forever linked with Marty Clarke in many 36ers fans' minds due to the minutes he was given and so it will take quite some time to forgive!

Reply #450051 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Paul,
I think your right there. Great players have bad games and bad patches, but when the team needs someone to stand up, great players hit the 3's when they're needed, get the boards when they're needed and gets the defensive stops when they're needed.

I used to use the term "fairweather player" in juniors. They are the kids that get 20 points and 10 boards in the game against South (sorry South), but 2 points and 12 turnovers in the game against Sturt, so overall their stats look OK.

Unfortunately he seems guilty by association with Marty. Because Marty rated him so highly and some people rate Marty so badly, well he is a victim of circumstances and with that the respect is not there.

Like I said above, his stats are nothing to be ashamed of, behaviour around the club probably OK and listens to coaches, so ticks a lot of boxes. Unfortunately, he seems destined to be one of those players in some people's minds that lit a candle instead of lighting a bushfire.

Reply #450055 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Official attendance was 4,981.

So far this season the 36ers home crowds have been:

5,815 vs Wollongong (Saturday)
6,136 vs Sydney (Sunday)
4,364 vs Melbourne (Friday)
6,585 vs Perth (Friday)
4,080 vs Wollongong (Friday)
4,981 vs Cairns (Sunday)

This is a total of 31,961 for an average of 5,327 per game, second only to Perth's stunning average (for the NBL) of 11,001 fans per game in 2013-14.

Reply #450075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Sydney figure was wrong it was changed from 6,100 to 4,500.

Reply #450077 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Still, think you would have to be happy with those figures!

I think the average attendance has been

2009 4,666
2010 4,715
2011 4,852
2012 4,954
2013 4,150

2015 5,060

Reply #450078 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Further to the Weigh chatter, I get frustrated seeing a guy some 6'8 in height opting for a baseline jumper when he had a clear path to the basket for a dunk.

Ok he made the basket, but it was somewhat underwhelming.

One of the few things I will remember about the play of Steve as a Sixer will be a baseline dunk he threw down in a game last year. I didn't think he had it in him and it was nice to see him attack the rim with purpose. I was hoping he might do the same when the opportunity presented on Sunday but he resorted to the pull up jumper.

I know I'm being fickle but it was a reminder of why I never truely embraced Steve as a Sixer and why I have moreso with guys like Creek, Petrie, Anthony and Ervin. Those guys commit to getting to the basket instead of always opting for a jump shot.

Reply #450081 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I forgot the Sydney crowd was downgraded. Thanks for the correction.

Still, getting over 5k per game when everyone but Perth and NZ (when at Vector) are still struggling most times to get 4k is a pretty good effort from the 36ers and their fans.

Unfortunately for Stephen Weigh, I think he has the talent, but I don't think he has close to the in-game work ethic required to be a dominant SF in the NBL. When he came here as a championship winner with Perth he was being talked about as a future Boomer. He was given carte blanche by Marty Clarke and it really did make him a bit lazy, because no matter what his stats were he was always getting 30+ minutes per game. The Boomers talk about him has all but disappeared and now he is with Cairns, he seems to be struggling to get the game day laziness out of his system.

He showed at times here in Adelaide (like Big Ads said, such as him attacking the rim) that he can be more than just an outside shooter who also grabs a few rebounds. But whether he gets himself to that point as a player is another matter.

Reply #450084 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

One more change. NZ have the second highest average attendance behind Perth with 5,734 per game, helped no end by crowds of 6,087 (Hawks), 7,470 (36ers) and 7,597 (Wildcats) at Vector Arena.

The Breakers average 7,051 (76% capacity) at Vector, while their average at the NSEC is only 3,347 (amazingly, also 76% capacity).

Reply #450085 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

^ This is why the Breakers should be playing MOST if not all of their games at Vector Arena. People argue too much about Vector not being in a convenient location or not being in a basketball heartland area, but the facts show they get the big crowds at Vector - so keep them there!

Reply #450135 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would the Breakers average as many people if they were playing all their games there? And if those crowds dropped away after a couple of average seasons and they had to go back to NSEC for financial reasons, would they have alienated some of their traditional fans because they turned their back on them?

I think the way the Breakers are doing it is very smart.

It will be interesting to see the end of year average for the five big stadiums (PA, AA, Hisense, Vector, SEC), it could well be in the 7000 range which would be a great sign and heading in the direction of the 'glory days' in the capital cities.

Reply #450142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did everyone see Gary Ervin's comment through the week after the point guards for Townsville and Cairns scored 30+ points each, that no point guard was going to score 30 points this week.

The Cairns guards, all 4 of them, scored 28 points between them.

Reply #450150 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Gary Ervin's defense on all four of them was fantastic this weekend.

Reply #450156 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Its a good point, NZ fans are known to be extremely fickle so I can see why there is some resistance to leaving NSEC permanently. Its a different sporting landscape to that of Adelaide or Perth.

I would have thought them winning a threepeat would have attracted enough loyal fans by now that they could confidently move to Vector for most games at least.

As an outsider it just looks like NSEC is holding them back somewhat.

Reply #450186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

move on people,Sixers blogs finished in hours when you lose and go for days when you win.

Reply #450190 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Weigh has been lazy exactly or lacks in-game work ethic, I think he's just been passive on offence. If someone else wants to take the reins, he lets them. There are other players like this - sometimes Wortho, Forman does it, sometimes Abercrombie, etc.

Marty grabbed him, seeing unrealised potential and knowing that Adelaide was in a tough recruiting position. In that spot, he had to overpay or pick guys getting under-played. Weigh could possibly do much of what Redhage does, but never really has and hasn't had the same mentality. He played big minutes in Adelaide presumably because he doesn't make poor decisions and is coachable.

Incidentally, Creek, who didn't get a lot of minutes under Marty, isn't exactly getting a lot of minutes under Joey.

2011-13: 15.8 MPG across 60 games (Marty Clarke's three years were 16.9 MPG, then 15.6 MPG then 14.5 MPG)
2014: 15.1 MPG across 13 games (Joey Wright)

Reply #450195 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

move on people,Sixers blogs finished in hours when you lose and go for days when you win.
Completely untrue. Some of the epic threads were after losses and this is now discussing a player across their multi-team career. The discussion includes non-36er fans.

You always chime in with your bitterness and nothing else.

Reply #450198 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I got the impression of weigh saving himself playing the league's most minutes, rather than going hard and taking a sub. Seems ' he guards a number of positions' Clarke.

Reply #450219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't handle the truth!!

Reply #450260 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754