Isaac
Years ago

36ers considering playing NBL in Tasmania

...the 36ers have made a preliminary approach to the Government about staging games in Tasmania.
"The Adelaide 36ers have made a very preliminary approach to the State Government about playing games in Tasmania," Mr Bacon said. "The club will put forward a formal proposal for future consideration.

"Any proposal to host NBL games would be subject to close consultation with Basketball Tasmania.

"The Government would need to assess the proposal, taking into account the benefits for the state including the expected interstate visitor numbers and the duration of their stay," Mr Bacon said.

"We are always looking at expanding the calendar of events supported by Events Tasmania, especially those that provide important jobs and investment in our economy and occur in traditionally slower winter months."
Full article

Topic #33378 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Great idea especially if they get backing from the Tassie Government.

Reply #450336 | Report this post

catching fire  
Years ago

an odd game here and there may appeal - would need backing by tasmanian tourism / gov etc.

good to see some pro-activity and if it works out well done for those organizing it.

where would they play ? capacity ? is there still a nbl level facility available ?

Reply #450340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit of a slap in the face to the members in Adelaide as they will be getting less home games?

Reply #450341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wont Happen, the majority of Tasmanians hate the fact the govt prop up Hawthorne.

Reply #450344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What rubbish the $ return on Hawthorn and North melbourne games you for got them is huge.
Don't mention the Penriff Panfers plaing in Tassie too.

Reply #450346 | Report this post

catching fire  
Years ago

who says it would be a home game ? surely season tickets would reflect that

Reply #450349 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Less home games would be a huge slap in the face to those members who fork out the $$$ each year.

Reply #450350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really who told you that??$$$

Reply #450351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are the crowds going in Adel? despite the on court success Does match or better the salary spent to achieve that success.?

Reply #450354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs need to start looking outside Townsville for hosting games to try to get some extra cash! 2800 at the last game...

Reply #450357 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crowds are OK but the figure for Perth was great. Attendance will lag performance by a bit but should get there if the wins keep coming through the new year.

I assume season ticket cost would be lower if a home game was removed from the schedule.

Reply #450359 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Nbl could look at getting all teams to play 1 or 2 games outside their city at least until we get more teams.

Reply #450360 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Steven, that is true. Players are contracted regardless. The league could even add games to the schedule without changing numbers for season tickets.

Reply #450361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, could easily have a sister city for each team, play 2 home games in each city.

Just extend the schedule by the extra games so season ticket holders get the same number of home games.

I assume in this instance, the Tas Gov will pay the 36ers a fee, so this would become a profitable exercise for the club, isnt that how it works with the AFL clubs playing.

Reply #450362 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Perth used to play in Darwin

They would offer the visiting club a fee in exchange for them giving up a home game so Perth would still play 14 games in Perth.

36ers could so the same, offer Crocs or Hawks an incentive for them to drop a home game and actually make some money.

This has been in the pipeline since as the 36ers have a strong link back to Tasmania over the passed few years

Reply #450364 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

"Occur in traditionally slower winter months"

The cat is out of the bag, the NBL season is returning to winter :-)

Either Mr Bacon wasn't briefed on the timing of the NBL season; the quote should have been linked with the NRL approach; or the Government is providing a subtle hint.

Or none of the above.

Reply #450365 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

Great work indeed by the club being proactive about this. A lot has turned around this season on and off the court, as this just shows. Hopefully this happens and can be successful as I'd expect it to be.

Reply #450366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep a slap in the face to members because the club is looking at better options to make money as survive.
I am a member and I think it's a great idea i think it can work and good on them.

I would go for the game.

Trying stuff the club hasn't for years. Well done, hopefully those who are real supporters see the positives. I hope its true and I hope it works.

At least they are not sitting around like other clubs waiting, our team is winning on court and off at the moment.

Reply #450375 | Report this post

shayno  
Years ago

I can remember when the Melbourne tigers played a pre season game on the north west coast. Had 2000 just to that game alone. was satnding room only.

Hey if the tas gov can help the hawks win the flag why not the 36ers?

Reply #450377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they should help get an NBL team back?

Reply #450378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs missed out on an opportunity to play a game in either Bris or the GC in the last year or 2!

Reply #450381 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

If a game was played in Hobart then I could see it being played at the Derwent Entertainment Centre, the former home of the Hobart Devils. It seats 5,400 which is better than some current NBL venues.

The NBL might not just be looking at Brisbane or a second Melbourne team. Tasmania has NBL history so it stands to reason the league would want to go back there at some point.

Reply #450456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Far sooner than anyone thinks.

Reply #450462 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:38 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754