Anonymous
Years ago

Cricket T20 Big Bash Live on Ch 10

Can someone explain to me how Cricket's Big Bash will be shown LIVE Friday & Saturday nights on Ch 10 at 7:30pm starting tomorrow when the NBL games are delayed until 9:30pm.

Clearly the 7:30 timeslot was available before now!

Its time the NBL get off there knees from bowing down to Ch 10 and demand some RESPECT!

The ball is in your court NBL CEO and its time to earn your money! What your next move?

And please..no more suggestions on twitter.

Topic #33381 | Report this topic

Michael D  
Years ago

Anon, it'd be my pleasure to explain.

Average Big Bash League TV audience last season (on Fox): 232,864
Average NBL TV audience last season (on two FTA networks): 35,687

Fraser Neill would be laughed out of the room if he made an issue of this.

Reply #450394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Micheal D

I agree with you but as I said. The NBL need to Stand Up and make it known to them they are not happy with the way they are being treated. Otherwise they will continue to be walked over!

What would be your advise be for the CEO?

Reply #450397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Channel 7 has lost the V8 Supercars to Fox and has a history with the NBL. Perhaps a new partnership could see growth and new management direction.

Reply #450402 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

I wouldn't be too annoyed by ch 10 bumping the NBL for the cricket but the NBL should be demanding some cross promotion by Ch 10 on there popular programs to advertise the NBL, ie have James Ennis and Chris Goulding on the Project, or run pop up promos during popular programs

Reply #450409 | Report this post

Manut Bol  
Years ago

Advertisments with ACDC's TNT playing in the background already gets me fired up. Then throw in a montage of ennis dunks and that would certainly get people through the gates

Reply #450411 | Report this post

Manut Bol  
Years ago

^ If that doesn't work pitch the idea of the players wearing bikinis to channel 7. Call it the LNBL and a montage of luke schensher hooks wearing his jock strap. They might even bump the better homes and gardens time slot for it

Reply #450412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every timeslot is "available" if there is a shitload of people willing to tune in to what will be shown.
Silly thread.

Reply #450415 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

NBLs future is not with channel 10. If it can secure a contract with another station that will give it the support it needs once the Ten deal ends, then we may see the league live up to its potential.

The TV situation with Ten, along with the incompetance of Perform are the two areas that are severely holding the league back.

For people who credit Channel 10 for at least showing the games - ten would dump the nbl in a second if it could. It originally signed up the nbl because One was a 24hr sports station and simply needed cheap local sporting content.

Thats no longer the case and Ten are stuck with a 5 year contract to which they want no involvement in anymore.

Ten contributed to the nbl's downturn in the mid 90s by putting games on at 1am , and their doing it again by not putting any effort into it. Ten may have had a long association with basketball, but the game has been worse off for it.

Went on a bit of a rant there!

Reply #450417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL needed to see viewer growth with the time slot it had to have any chance of greater promotion.

All we got was stagnation or decline..

I can't see a future in the next 5 or so years for the NBL on FTA, its just not that popular any more.

Like the WNBL, the ABC is its only hope.

Reply #450419 | Report this post

jodiechrist  
Years ago

Completely agreed - ABC is the place for it for at least the next couple of years. It's a great place to grow it from too, better than foxtel IMO.

Reply #450500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Pathways"... The NBL needs to observe pathways of growth.
Start t the bottom again, get on the ABC, build the product, demonstrate following and GROWTH both in attendance and viewing on the ABC THEN, and ONLY then take your case to a commercial station with data.

As it stands persevering with a dead product on the commercial stations where ratings are EVERYTHING is pointless.

Reply #450505 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Would the ABC be interested? They have an obligation to support womens sport and grassroots (eg wafl, lawn bowls), i would think the NBL doesnt fall under their criteria.

They should probably pay their way to be on TV, and work out a deal with Fox and 7Mate (no V8's) or Fox and SBS (a-league style)

Reply #450516 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:59 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754