wildcats80
Years ago

No NBL this round

Just another poor example of the NBL being run very very poorly. Look at worldwide EXAMPLES, heaps of sport, NBA has xmas day games, Premier league, teams play 3-4 games during the 2 week period. A league has games, we have big bash on, why not the NBL.

So many people on holidays people want things to do, why couldn't they have come up with something original for a change like a discount system over xmas break to attract more supporters.

EG 26TH to 31st, we could have had each team play 2 games each. Its not too hard.

Boxing day
Could have had , the tigers play on Boxing day at 7pm after the cricket and give the consumer something if they show their cricket ticket eg free drink or free meal so its on offer for all members too, advertise it as a go to the cricket then walk to Hisense Arena, aim for a big crowd 8-10K. Make it a big day and celebration or all. Theres 100k going to the MCG this boxing day.

They could easily have had 8 games from the 26th-31st
1 game on 26th Hisense.
2 games on the 27th
1 game on the 28th
2 games on 29th,
No games on the 30th as its a Monday plus gives teams rest for NYE game.
2 games on 31st

8 games over the xmas new year period and each team has 2 games. Most teams have a home and away game except perth due to Arena unavailability.

Its not hard NBL.

Topic #33399 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are games on from 27th to NYE.

Reply #450582 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

I see your point wildcats 80. the nbl season is boring and drags on. should also play 20game season.

Reply #450583 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

ok well my point is theres not enough should be more. should or capitalised on the boxing day test, try something different

Reply #450585 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Doesn't the NBL know that basketball is the source of wildcats80's life force? Doesn't the NBL care?!

Reply #450586 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

Not sure why you blokes above are taking the piss out of Wildcats80, he is correct.

We have all these games that clash with district basketball but now seasons have broken up the NBL takes a break.

Reply #450589 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Yeah this whole all-star weekend without the festivities has just been awful... I'd hoped for atleast some publicity to get everyone excited about the back half of the season but in truth it's felt like they have given the Big Bash for example an unwarranted leg up.

We can sit here and say that NBL Pty. Ltd. have had their hands tied with old ongoing contracts and limited time but that shit won't suffice next season.

Whilst I'm not exactly sure what NBL should do with scheduling this time of year Wildcats80 is about as good an idea as I know of but I'm still not liking a weeks break with literally zero activity from our league... Can't imagine sponsors liking a league where they hide away for a week either

Reply #450590 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just don't know how people have any spare time at this point of the year to wish there was more on.

Reply #450594 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wildcats80, they have 5 games on over the period you have mentioned. So your complaint is that they should have 3 more games at this time of year? That is not exactly a missed opportunity. Seems a long rant if that is your point.

Reply #450598 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I tried to recall the events ,,,,, BA did the schedule with an allstar game 22dec in adelaide. Later,it was decided the NBL would be in charge of its own destiny and cancelled the allstar game.

Reply #450601 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The thing I worry about is how many of those "ocassional fans" would forgot about the NBL because of the break in games.

The big bash started friday and i will be honest, i completely forgot about the NBL.

Fortunately, il go back to watching it when it starts up on the 27th.

The same probably cant be said of those borderline fans who are now in cricket mode and wont go back to watching the NBL.

Terrible idea to have a break -- even more stupid to do it at a time when yhr big bash started

Reply #450610 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

For me, BA's NBL AllStar game wouldda been pretty good

Reply #450612 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Do basketball fans really have to criticise everything? It is an 11 day break (effectively, 1 weekend) in a six month season, at a busy time of year, with a simple explanation that has been explained repeatedly as to why it exists.

Reply #450613 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

For me there is plenty to keep myself occupied during Nbl Xmas break with NBA, cricket etc. I could be wrong but maybe the break seems long to wildcats80 because there is 18 days between Perth games.

Reply #450625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The same probably cant be said of those borderline fans who are now in cricket mode and wont go back to watching the NBL.

All 1.1 million that watched Friday nights BBL season opener.

Reply #450627 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

In two minds over this one.

I wonder how basketball viewing numbers would go if the NBL followed straight after the cricket on Ten. I watched the cricket because there was very little else and found myself stuck on the couch last night watching Predators immediately after, a move I had not contemplated 4 hours earlier.

Reply #450634 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Totally agree MACDUB, it's one thing to have a long drawn out playoff series when the footy is starting up but we are just inviting other competition and they aren't as kind in giving their audience back to us

Reply #450681 | Report this post

ushiro  
Years ago

So the players get a weekend off to spend with their families prior to Christmas and their bodies get a rest and a chance to recover form any niggling injuries they might have. Seems pretty fair to me. How about a bit of "give" at Christmas instead of the selfish take.

Reply #450697 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"So the players get a weekend off to spend with their families prior to Christmas and their bodies get a rest and a chance to recover form any niggling injuries they might have. Seems pretty fair to me. How about a bit of "give" at Christmas instead of the selfish take."

I bet it's a tough life being paid decent cash to play a sport you love.

Reply #450710 | Report this post

ushiro  
Years ago

What's the relevance Mystro to players being paid. The thread is about the NBL All Star weekend not being played and some people wanting extra games played across the Festive Season.

If no game last weekend means Frye's ankle and Ervin's back gets a chance to recover, and a few others with niggles get some rest, all good for the 36ers for the post Christmas period.

Reply #450735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754