Beantown
Years ago

Gary Ervin knee surgery, out vs Townsville

Just saw on the NBL site that Ervin had minor knee surgery on the 20th of Dec and will miss tomorrow's clash with the Crocs!

Article talks down the seriousness of the surgery, saying Ervin hopes to be back for our next home game 4 January.

I hope he doesn't rush back too soon. Would hate to see him tear up his knee because it hasn't been strengthened enough after the surgery.

Topic #33419 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Knee surgery?? I thought his was a back problem?

Reply #450985 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

No always been a knee thing. Very minor, utilised the extra xmas break to take care of it.

Reply #450986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the 36ers have any cover at that spot?

Yep 2 pretty decent Australian guards.

Reply #450993 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Gibson and Cadee will pick up the slack while Ervin is out. Adelaide will possibly lose to Townsville tomorrow nght but they will be there at business end of season if he fully recovers.

Reply #450995 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Better to have the surgery over the Christmas break and only miss one game than do more damage as the season goes on and be out for the finals.

I still think we can win tomorrow night. I'd expect Cadee will start at PG (and unlike last season he will play PG), with Mitch Creek in particular, and Brendan Teys to get some more minutes.

Ervin having surgery might have also been part of Joey Wright's motivation to give a couple of the DP's some game time against Cairns last time out (other than the blow out score). The 36ers would have known Ervin was going to miss a game or two so gives a good reason to give the fringe DP's some court time.

Reply #451010 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Cadee a point guard?

Reply #451017 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

I don't rate Cadee at all but people seem to be forgetting Gibson I think he will do fine in ervins absence but crocs to get this one.

Reply #451036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commonsense

Cadee is a player who had Division colleges in America after him which speaks volume about his talents. His decision to play in the NBL has slowed his development simply because he has played under coaches(Marty Clark & Joey Wright) who doesn't work with players individually. Plus
he had the serious accident that nearly ended his career and his recovery shows his determination & mental toughness.

Unfortunately he's been a backup PG to players(Gibson, Erving)who are not known for guiding younger players and helping their improvement.

Cadee will be an starter on a NBL team soon and a Olympian one day. The sooner he gets individual coaching concentrating on his areas of his game the sooner people will see a much improved consistent NBL player.

IMO..Its time for him to move on from the 36ers and step out of the shadows of Gibson & Erving.

Reply #451039 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Anon - I would point out that Marty spent a LOT of time individually with Cadee.

Reply #451041 | Report this post

Pointguard  
Years ago

Anonymous

Cadee will never be a Boomer, we have way too much talent coming through now.

Reply #451042 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Gee if only there was someone like Brett Maher around him everyday that could help

Uni games performance already lost on people it seems

Reply #451045 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Cadee started here last season 28games, 30minutes a game,good chance to see him. (Wouldn't mind J.Frye for 30minutes tonite) G.Ervin injury on 3 TVnewses last nite. (Most likely J.Pace out with hand injury)

Reply #451046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel. ANd we also finished bottom last year

Reply #451047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bizzy

Marty spent a lot of time individually but did nothing. Cadee game is mainly where is today because of his own will & desire to work on his skills.

Marty was the worst coach in the NBL and it blows my mind that St Marys hire him on their coaching staff. That program IMO have lost all its credibility of being a college where Aussies can go and develop to one day possibly make it in the NBA. They will not recruit anymore high talented Aussies like Mills, Matt D. Instead they might get average kids from Australia who have very little college options.

Reply #451048 | Report this post

GD  
Years ago

I've actually been impressed with Cadee this season, he seems to have found his shot more than last year (at least at home games, heh). He also seems to be attacking the basket more aggressively, which he has always been good at, but seems to do more often now.

Even his defense which was previously dire has improved a lot from 12 months ago.

As for Ervin, hopefully it does end up being just a minor setback and he is back at full strength soon.

Reply #451068 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Agreed GD, once he settled back into a bench role, Cadee has actually played better this season. Other than maybe Perth he'd be a starter on just any other NBL team.

Reply #451071 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I said all of last season that Adelaide will reap the benefits from giving so much game time to Caddee last season and he has been a much better player this season and I think he will be a star if he went to Bullets or somewhere where he doesn't have Gibbo looking over his shoulder all the time.

Crocs for me and I'm fascinated by the biggest team coming up against one of the smallest

Reply #451084 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Cadee was awesome last night versus Townsville. Hit 3 huge shots down the stretch which won us the game.

I agree that he has showed significant improvement this year compared to last year, even though he has gone from a starting to bench role. He is more aggressive offensively and the fact his shot is far more consistent now seems to open up the rest of his game. It was not only last night he was impressive, he has had numerous quality performances this season including the win against the Wildcats. Hopefully we can find a way to keep him a 36er after this season.

Reply #451105 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What Cadee did in the off-season was pretty impressive, so it's not surprising to see him step up but Im glad it's happening as you never know, sometimes players dont reach their potential for a myriad of reasons.

Reply #451106 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think our starters all double figures. NBL don't show visiting teams box scores all that much here.
For the first time in Joey's career he and the 36ers bench were warned by the ref for barracking too loud.

Reply #451111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So with all the Sixers on court success, why is it that home crowds are down and possibly losing money?

Reply #451112 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Their crowds are up over 20 per cent (almost 1000 per game) on this time last season.

Reply #451114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure 36ers home crowds are up by the largest percentage this season, 17% on last season.

Reply #451115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide: +17%

Perth: -2.6%
Sydney: -4.1%
New Zealand: -6.9%
Cairns: -7.8%
Townsville: -15.4%
Melbourne: -20.2%
Wollongong: -26.9%

Reply #451116 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, and 22% on the same time last season. Sydney are the only other team that's increased by more than 10%.

Reply #451118 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Winning sure helps full credit to the sixers. Wonder how long before Sydney crowds drop

Reply #451119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So 1000 people up on shitty crowds is a positive undoubtedly.
Currently the average crowd is 4899. 61.2% of capacity. Poor. If as Paul says that the crowds are up 1000, the numbers simply don't stack up.
What's the break even figure for the venue, any know?

Further to that Paul, someone above says the Kings crowds are down -4.1% and you are suggesting they are up by + 10%. Who is wrong?
Where is the crowd data posted that everyone seems to know?

Reply #451138 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'd say the person above is comparing this season so far with the end of season figure from last year, where my figure is a like for like (ie same number of games each year).

As of Christmas the average crowd for Adelaide this season is 5060, while after six games in 2012/13 it was 4039 so just over 1000 in fact.

Sydney's average is 5105 compared to 4309 after five home games last season. Neither team is where they would want to be yet but at least they are heading in that direction.

Reply #451144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As of Christmas the figure is 4899 as I said.
No idea where your figure comes from.
So where does the data come from for us all to view?

Reply #451147 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adelaide's crowds this season according to the official reports:

v Cairns 4981
v Hawks 4080
v Perth 6585
v Tigers 4364
v Kings 4540
v Hawks 5815

Total = 30,365
Average = 5060

Sydney have actually played six home games now, so their figure is 5130 up from 4553.

All last season’s crowds are in wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_NBL_season. For this year’s you have to go through the game reports.

Reply #451148 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Division 1 and 2 district basketball in Adelaide is on a Friday night so that may explain the shortage of people on a Friday night.

Reply #451149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Break even at Adelaide?

Reply #451152 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'd work on it being 5000

Reply #451167 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Before this round:

After the same number of home games last season (This years number in brackets):

Perth: 11,534 (11,001)
Adelaide: 4,039 (5,061)
Sydney: 4,309 (5,024)
New Zealand: 5,170 (4,915)
Cairns: 4,365 (3,896)
Melbourne: 3,249 (3,345)
Townsville: 3,426 (3,044)
Wollongong: 3,875 (2,750)

New Zealand has played the same proportion of games between NSEC and Vector as their first 7 home games last season. For Melbourne's average I took their first 7 games at SNAHC last season.

Reply #451176 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Opponents have a lot of impact on the attendance numbers. You cant simply say "this time last year"

Assess the numbers of say 36ers v Perth against last year as a more consistent measurement

Reply #451178 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From what I remember looking at numbers over the years the calendar has a bigger impact than opponents (as do other localised factors like scheduling and competing events), with numbers generally rising as the season wears on.

Reply #451179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So at the risk of saying alluding to what I asked before, if 5000 is break even surely that is a problem.

Reply #451180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Break even is more like 6500 for the 36ers

Reply #451181 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It would depend on what you mean by break even. On stadium hire for the night, or to balance out costs for the entire year?

Reply #451194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Braking even if it is indeed 6550 possibly clearly means losing money. 5000 and breaking even is still a problem. Roster payments Vs income is an issue.

Reply #451207 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Someone who could possibly have known told me for the 2012/13 team if they averaged 6000 they would have been in the black. Obviously no way of testing that.

Two or three playoff games this year could well make the difference between red and black, and breaking even in today's environment would be a good effort.

Reply #451211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never base your budget on making the play offs nor any crowd. EVER.

Reply #451217 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:36 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754