Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers vs Breakers, 4th Jan

The Sixers had a great NYE game against Townsville and when the Sixers needed a hero to stand up, enter good guy, golf caddie to Warren Treadee and official understudy to Harry Styles, Jason Cadee. Tonight, the Sixers are back on home pine and host the Breakers, who have made way for Wollongong at the foot of the ladder.

Looks like the Breakers will be without Pledger and the Sixers without the pocket rocket in Ervin. The Breakers will be a different team to that beaten in NZ earlier in the season. Wilkinson is starting to hit his straps and went to town against Sydeney in their last game and Abercrombie is back in the groove averaging 15.3 ppg at 46% in his last 9 games. Vukona is still their leading rebounder, but will face some fierce competition tonight from a guy who once wrestled a wild boar with his bare hands because he needed to use the boar's ribcage as a basketball hoop, Mr A Petrie.

Joey was told he was too loud last game and tonight he will have 5,000 spectators to make the noise for him. The only thing louder at the stadium will be Rupert Sapwell's Hawaiian shirt.

Let's not forget the Sixers are undefeated at home this season and it is a record we hope to hold onto, and should hold onto. Sixers to win by the narrowest of margins.

Topic #33436 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Big ask for the Breakers on the road against a team full of confidence and enough competent ball carriers, even with Gary Ervin missing from their line up.

Adelaide by 4.

Reply #451318 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I'm going with an upset NZ by 3.

Reply #451320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very much a danger game for the 6ers. If the Breakers want to make a run at the playoffs this is a must win. Whoever wins, itll be a slug fest I reckon.

Reply #451329 | Report this post

I feel the Breakers are ready to take this season to the next level... #BREAKERNATION by 7

Reply #451349 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

This is definitely a major game for the Sixers and will test their resolve.

Neither team has a defined advantage as such.

C: Johnson v Wilkinson - both athletic players who can shoot a 3 with ease. We won't want to see to much Wilkinson v Schench
PF: Petrie v Vukona. Like that.
SF: Frye/Creek v Abercrombie. Critical matchup. Abbers is the better shooter but needs things to go right for him
SG: Gibbo v Corletto. Another critical matchup. Corletto in an enigma and if the Sixers can seal him out of the game, Gibbo wins the arm wrestle.
PG: Cadee v Johnson. Most would say Johnson would be a clear winner. I say it's match ups like these that create great players. Real chance for Cadee to create a name for himself.

Will be close. To win the team must shoot over 75% FT's. The ability of the Breakers to score 3's unchecked, will be the difference. I think the Sixers will hold those players in check and this will be a very fast paced tempo game. Scores will be close all night and I am expecting 180 to 200 points scored this game.

Reply #451358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is ervin definitely out?

Reply #451367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Ervin's out, the Breakers will receive a big boost. As much I like The Chief, I'll take an Ervin vs Pledger trade off any day. Wilkinson is a streaky player but that does work both ways, and after the last game he looks poised for another big night. Although, for the Breakers to play at their best Johnson needs to play well. If he puts in a performance like he did last time against then 36ers then this won't be fun for Breakers fans to watch.

All in all, I'll agree with Steven and take the Breakers by 3.

Reply #451374 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Ervin is out. Joey said so in his pregame speech

Reply #451375 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Not missing GE so far. Breakers struggling to stop Sixers attack on the basket.

Reply #451379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Backdoor cuts and give and go's are some of the simplest plays to pull off, can't the guys at least bring some help over. This is where Lemanis would have done something but Vickerman sits ideally doing nothing much.

Reply #451381 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

there walking all over them right now. Everyone is playing their roles and it looks more like a training run then a real game for them. I think New Zealand will mount a run at us but I don't see the game getting too close tonight.

Reply #451382 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Breakers are missing Pledger a lot too. Wilkinson just isn't big enough and he is no threat to block Frye or Creek either. At least Abercrombie has played well for u guys. Wilkinson making a few now but no one else can buy a basket

Reply #451386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #451388 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Hin folks at the game - LiveStats is not working and I'd appreciate any score updates

Cheers

Reply #451389 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

36ers are 26points up at threquarter time. Crowd is 6676

Reply #451392 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

thanks Camel

Reply #451393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers up 74-48 at 3-Qtr time.

Reply #451394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Party time

Reply #451395 | Report this post

Flamin Moe  
Years ago

Another sponsors logo covered on Adelaide singlet after Solar last year?

Reply #451396 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Champagne ball from the Sixers tonight! They just dominated the Breakers in every aspect of the game. Cadee is really proving himself as a point guard with Ervin out. Don't know how many assists he had, but he ran the show very well.

Reply #451405 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Ervin is a good scorer but with the talent the 36ers have at their disposal they may well be better with a good general. Cadee is probably a better facilitator than Ervin.

Reply #451406 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

36ers - Everybody scored

Reply #451408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes but the surfer boy still hasn't got one thru the net

Reply #451409 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

fstos, I agree, Cadee is a better facilitator than Ervin. Really liking his growth as a player this season. Joey really knows how to get the best out of his players.

I don't think they're better overall without Ervin though. We still need him to be the go to guy in tight end game situations, as Cadee doesn't have the experience yet. Its also a big advantage having three top notch guards, because you can rotate them through and keep running the ball down the opponents throat all game.

Reply #451410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know why Petrie sat out most of the second half?

Reply #451411 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I assumed it was because they could. We were in control take the time to rest some guys.

Reply #451414 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think Peach sat out for 2 reasons. 1. Because we could do it and 2. He had a tough week at Port Lincoln teaching his kids how to wrestle great whites.

Reply #451416 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Wow loved the game and to see a Sixer team playing like a real team again with real system and real defence .
Also think team more organised with Cadee and Gibson than Ervin but we need that game breaker when tougher games come .
Schens. and Creek probably had their best games and good to see bench boys score as well .
Think Frye lucky we are playing well as not offering a lot and those foul shots were bl--y awful .
Great crowd and massive atmosphere .
Good on management in getting Joey and team and hope getting club back on its feet .
But those Qtr and half time games are straight from pre- school .
Very amateurish in front of near sell out crowd.

Reply #451421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love people slagging off at Frye, if we had his "underperforming" last year compared to some others we might have won a few of the close ones (except if they forced him to the line every time)

Reply #451423 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

I think we play a better team game without Ervin. If we could get him to start playing more of a team game than always trying to be the hero the 6ers will be a better team for it. I hope he is watching closely and taking note at how much better the team looks when sharing the ball around, every single player got on the score sheet tonight it was a very enjoyable game to watch.

Reply #451425 | Report this post

Brett  
Years ago

@Flamin Moe - Dean Parker has said contract with VIP was terminated (via Twitter). Date of & reason for termination wasn't stated.

A "Note from Dean's Desk" to Members regarding this would have been nice, to keep in contact with members as they had stated they would. No legal details would need to be delved in to, but 'hoping' people wouldn't notice wasn't the way to go.

Come to think of it, I haven't had a "Note From Dean's Desk" for a while...

Reply #451427 | Report this post

Brett  
Years ago

Seems they only sponsored for half a season. Fair enough, still a reminder of this wouldn't have gone astray.

Reply #451431 | Report this post

Brett  
Years ago

Seems they only sponsored for half a season. Fair enough, still a reminder of this wouldn't have gone astray.

Reply #451432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually lately it's been NO note from Deans desk! Don't let us down now Deano. All good to start off like a house in fire, that's been done before. The job is yo keep it coming .....,.,, consistently !!

Reply #451433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh please, Ill take 1 game off first place over some 'note from deano', bball fans expect so much, fickle bunch. Frye wouldnt have been any good to the 6ers last season, Clarke wouldve benched him every time he even went close to taking over a game!

This 6ers team is going to win the title, stop the whinging over trivial shit and get on board!

Reply #451434 | Report this post

catching fire  
Years ago

best crowd this season here ? and the lightning got a good W

Reply #451436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If frye had a jumpshot or free throw he'd be the man

Reply #451437 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

whaddya mean if Frye had a jumpshot. What about the jumper in rhythm from just outside the foul line in the 4th. That was pure. Now if only he was in rythm for his foul shots.
Seriously though, Frye gives a lot that doesn't show on stats. He can switch on D and guard any type of player. Puts himself in good positions on offence. Can glide coast to coast without the need for any help and get to the basket. When shot clock is running down, he can open up the opposition and get the team a shot. all those traits are going to come in handy for playoffs when the real stuff starts. Can hit a 3(JUST). A very underestimated player by some. If he could just shoot the foul shot, how much would the opinion of him change?

Reply #451440 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

Stuff the note from Dean's desk. His priority should be to promote and get new faces thru the door, not writing long e-mails to season ticket holders each week.

Reply #451441 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

What did he get 10 or 12 points in a 26 point win.
NBL no stats, Creek got 20 points.
Seems pretty good , eveybody scored.
Given the weigh-clarke relationship, 10points from weigh in a full game and a loss, I'd have this current team, with Frye

Reply #451442 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think a lotta sixers got double figures.
A box score for this game would be interesting , while in the weigh-clarke era it was frustrating reading.

Reply #451456 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I thought the Breakers looked a broken team last night. Too few options in offence, too much reliance on the foul to stop the momentum of the other team, and too many passengers.

Abbers top scored for them and contributed nearly half their score, but no other Breaker looked like a viable option in offence. I am trying to work out if that was the worst Breakers team I have watched, or the worst coached Breakers team I have watched, or the best coached Sixers team I have watched.

Reply #451465 | Report this post

GO SIXERS  
Years ago

Funny, everyone says how dominate Perth have been last 4 years all they have to show is 1 championship and 2 runners up. If the Sixers win this year which is a good chance, its Perth 1 Adelaide 1, how funny would that be.

Reply #451466 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

Go Sixers at least we don't have 3 wooden spoons like Adelaide does in the last 5 years hhaha. Blowing your own trumpet way to early.

Reply #451467 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

GO SIXERS lol! championships are not won in January and I do believe perth is still on top of the ladder

Reply #451468 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

wildcats80, we might have 3 wooden spoons, but that means we can stir you 'Cats fans up 3 times better!

Reply #451473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know where a boxscore is for this game?

Reply #451474 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Liking the friendly ribbing on both sides only Melbourne could spoil a potential Perth v adel final

Reply #451477 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Gold, Jack Toft.

Reply #451488 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I see Perform are up to their usual high standards when it comes to the game stats on the NBL website. As pathetic as the English cricket team.....

Great win by the 36ers, I wish I had been there to see it but had other things on that I couldn't get out of.

Reply #451493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boxscore up now!

http://www.nbl.com.au/matchcentre/matchid/74786#box-score

Reply #451626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frye & Schenscher combined 1/10 on FT's o_0

36ers shot just 10% on 3pts & 52% on FT and still won by 26.

Reply #451627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth wont win the Championship, truly believe its Adelaide's to lose at this point. Hope the cats enjoyed Bali and the USA for the imports over xmas break!!

Reply #451641 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

perhaps they'll make the change on frye during finals

Reply #451676 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Camel, Frye is a very interesting player. Sleek and always working hard in D, his shooting is his big weakness and one I trust the brains trust at the Sixers would be working on.

His overall FG% is 49%, not shabby figures. He is definitely not a 3 point shooter, nor do I think it's his function in the side is as such. (2/17). Definitely needs to work on his FT's. He is bottom ranked in the Sixers and is 10/31 (32%) Really should be around 80% (only an extra 15 FTMs, but would have given the Sixers an extra 1 ppt) Not much, but every trip to the strip should be money in the bank.

I think his contribution to the team is in the defensive end and I think it would be unlikely a change is made unless absolutely required.

Reply #451684 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Perth wont win the Championship, truly believe its Adelaide's to lose at this point. Hope the cats enjoyed Bali and the USA for the imports over xmas break!!"

puff puff pass lol

Reply #451766 | Report this post

Brett  
Years ago

Re Swagger & Anon - the "Note From Dean's Desk" was to keep fans engaged and feel more apart of the club. It allowed fans to know what the players were doing and to keep members updated with what was happening around the club so they didn't need to find out 2nd or 3rd hand. Lack of fan engagement had been a critiscm of the club.

It is irrelevant to club position / on court performance. It is a key 'marketing' tool which further enhances your chances of gaining more spectators and members and retaining them when times are not so good. In the tough sports entertainment market, you need to use every tool you have in your arsenal to compete against the other sports played during summer.

This is not to say it needs to be every week, but major developments such as a termination of a sponsorship agreement could be covered off. Heck, the media department can write it & Deancan take a minute or two to approve it.

But hey, if you prefer to not be fully immersed in your club and like being in the dark, that's your call. Just delete the email without reading it.

Reply #451909 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, I was a big fan of the newsletter and hope it has just been on an extended Christmas break!

Reply #451911 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Pretty sure a newsletter came out a few days ago.

Reply #451924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't seen one for a few months

Reply #451926 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:37 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754