Anonymous
Years ago

Big V: Ben Hollis to Wodonga

Ben Hollis to play for Wodonga, Will avg close to 20 reb a game in div 2.

Topic #33451 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Very good pickup for them.Human vacum cleaner on the boards.

Reply #451675 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Anyone know why he isn't playing for Albury/Wodonga? He's been a quality player in the SEABL for the last few years. Strange to see him playing Big V instead.

Reply #451682 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

They signed a replacement for him from Big V which means he would of taken a substancial pay cut.Would probably get more money going to Wodonga than staying with the Bandits.

Reply #451688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Hollis > Alex Bogut-King

Reply #451689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be more to it than that.

Reply #451693 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Bandits dont spend alot on Aust talent so Bogut-king would of taken his money therefore he would get little if anything coming off the bench.Im sure Wolves will be able to find him some $$$

Reply #451697 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Can't think Hollis would have been on the bench behind ABK in all fairness

Reply #451698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hollis got too fat from reports.

Reply #451700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bandits don't spend a lot of money on talent at all.

Reply #451701 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If Hollis isn't motiviated....which less face it Div @ isn't going to get him motivated if SEABL can't don't expect him to dominate

Reply #451702 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Have to think Corio Bay will announce there two new imports soon. Bandits dont spend alot as they have been paying off there debt to SEABL.

Reply #451706 | Report this post

face value  
Years ago

Hollis didn't want to play Bandits anymore so they had to get a replacement - hence Bogut-King. Not the other way round. I understand he left cause of the one dimensional approach their coach had. As that great man Steve Waugh said: 'treat them all differently but treat them the same' Chalmers will never get the best out of his players because he is unable to see 'gray'. I don't believe money was ever an issue and I doubt Wolves would be paying anything. If Hollis plays Big V it will be cause he wants to!

Reply #451708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said face value

Reply #451724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Face Value, what would you know you troll. First post on this site I see....not much of a local hater hey..lol, cheap shots from the peanut gallery as per the norm up that way. No wonder they have never been successful with obvious people likeyou around...oh that's right your one dimensional coach who doesn't suffer fools or lack of committment lead a 3 win team to a championship the next....axe to grind???, what didn't your boy get looked after or something..lol
Nothing wrong with coach, Hollis is the one running from hard work to bush ball and thats right you would know all goings on as you are in the inner sanctum..

Please do us those of us whom try and speak commonsense on these threads and crawl back down your hole in the ground and resurface when you have something constructive to say...

Reply #451726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha...Face value, you got told!!

Hollis plays or doesn't play, who cares....Good to see the Bandits doing well, and and I see they posted a $10k profit for the year too...and payed off their debt, no small part to the 2012 success and perhaps Mr Chalmers and their strong board.

Know about 3-4 SEABL teams down here in Melbourne whom would like to post a profit, own a championship and have a young upcoming coach who knows what it takes to win it all.

Reply #451727 | Report this post

terry u  
Years ago

One championship doesnt make a great coach. That was clearly evident last season. Wait for the excuses to be rolled out now and the same excuses when they under perform next season.
Chalmers was lucky he had momo and jazz. Both have wised up and moved on. Hollis is happy to stay in slbury and despite chalmers wanting him to return hollis said no.
One dimensional is certainly close to mark.

Reply #451729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who said Momo isn't returning....Think your wrong there Tezza as you are with your comments. Think it's fairly common knowledge even in Melbourne here that he is returning...he loves the club and the coach..

One Championship doesn't make a great coach, that's right, and yeh he did nothing but show up each week and roll the balls out, c'mon man, your dreaming and have no idea of SEABL professionalism and whats needed as a coach to get a group to a title, think he might have recruited Mo and Jazz too so there's a start...and you know what his C'ship is one more than lots of others have!
He may not be great, no coaches in SEABL are but he is doing a good job over last 2 years....30 wins or something and a C'ship....previous 5 years combined they won a total of less games I think, so where's your rationale...

Oh and the club is posting a profit as I saw above too...

And i thought the thread was about Hollis bailing to Div 2 Big V.... What's he thinking, chance to not train and just play, so the rumoured poor work ethic I hear with that kid....didn't do the work post 2012 success...and got a bit lazy might be true.

Reply #451731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a lot of point in actually doing the work for little if any reward.
No one has ever questioned Hollis until now for not doing what ever was required at training.
Professionalism? That was the reason Jazz cited in his moving to Bendigo I recall. Maybe he didn't want to have to ref local basketball games to help with his income.

Reply #451743 | Report this post

SEABLWatcher  
Years ago

From what I know, face value is right that Hollis decided months ago he wouldn't be playing in 2014. He told the Bandits he wanted a year off so they got a replacement. I don't know about any dissatisfaction with the coach but maybe some frustration over a very disappointing season in 2013 - something many players expressed. He was mostly played out of his natural position and not really used for his strengths other than cleaning up the boards. Chalmers system did not use him offensively but it did allow him to grab a heap of boards off the many missed shots of others. He wasn't being paid much and likely lost more in wages when traveling than he made from the Bandits.

The Wodonga BigV gig is a bit of a surprise since he was going to take a year off and they're was talk of him heading back to Sydney to play. No way would he be getting paid so again I think face value is probably right that it's just a bit of fun without the time and travel requirements of SEABL.

Reply #451744 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Well said Anonymous #451743.

If Mrs Chalmers from Reply #451726 had actually spoken to Jazz about his time with the Bandits and reasons for leaving then she might be a little less inclined to label face value a troll.

Reply #451748 | Report this post

Bandit's Fan  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure you'll find there were about 25000 reasons that Jazz left and it certainly had nothing to do with the coach. I'm sure none of the imports want to ref local games but unfortunately club's like Albury/Wodonga don't have the luxury of paying big money to their imports. As was mentioned earlier, the Bandits have paid off their debts, posted a reasonable profit last year and seem to be on the right track.

Also SEABL Watcher, the reason Hollis wasn't featured in the offense is because he had none! He shoots airballs in warm ups! Not having a crack at him, offence just wasn't his strength.

Hollis was a great fit in the championship year because he wasn't needed on offence. With Jazz, Momo, Nick Payne and Alex Opacic, a player like Hollis rebounding and playing defense is exactly what they needed. There's no doubt he'll be missed because he was a good player but if he's not 100% committed then he should move on.

Good luck to him. I hope he does well.

Reply #451782 | Report this post

SEABLWatcher  
Years ago

As I said Bandits Fan, not really used to his strengths by Chalmers but you are right that in 2012 they weren't needed. In the 2013 they were needed but only used in a couple of games after Momo was injured before Whitfield arrived. He needed more minutes at the 4 spot and not wasted on the wing where they had several better options offensively. Strange that super coach didn't see that. 57.4% FG% for the season suggests not many air balls when it mattered.

Anyway, seems like the Bandits won't miss him too much and look to have an OK team this year but if reports of Momo not returning prove to be true that will hurt their chances. Still, a lot of teams are looking weaker this year so far.

Reply #451825 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

SEABLwatcher, he needed more minutes at the 4 spot.. Over opacic or Ntumba? Come on now.

I'm sure one of the anons above is Hollis himself, the attitude is easy to pick- he was obviously not interested in changing his game to become a more versatile player and fit into the team more adequately.

Reply #451889 | Report this post

SEABLWatcher  
Years ago

Ntumba didn't play most of last year Mark in case you missed it. I'm pretty sure nobody who pays at a higher level than D grade social comp wastes their time posting on here.

Reply #451902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hollis committed to another season and why did he bother? Now people here are saying a lazy trainer, can't adapt apparently. Air balls at training even. Nothing further from the truth. Incentive is based on reward, sometimes the stick as well. Let's see how the Bandits go next season. It can't get much worse than it was last season, or can it?

Reply #451914 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Calvin Henry has signed in Germany Pro B transferring from Iceland.Be interesting to see when season finishes there and whther he can get back to Mildura.

Reply #452028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mildura?

Reply #452045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that on MoMo's FB page he's still on a mission in North Africa. BETTER HURRY UP

Reply #452046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Momo will be back

Reply #452087 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Henry season finishes 8 March so could be back in time for Big V season.His team is on the bottom of the ladder.

Reply #452099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or SEABL...

Reply #452114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Henry has already signed with Mildura for the 2014 season.

Reply #452141 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:43 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754