Anonymous
Years ago

boomers and opals squad based on current form.

If you could pick national teams for the mens and womens 2014 fiba world cup based on current form . Who would be in your 12 member squads?

I'd go:

Boomers-
Mills, Dellavedova, Exum, Ingles, Newley, Goulding, Drmic, Bairstow, Simmons, Anderson, Baynes, Bogut.

Opals-
Veal, Mitchell, Phillips, Wilson, Taylor, O'hea, Ebzery, Allen, Bishop, Batkovic, Jackson, Cambage.

Topic #33457 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

While young guns Simmons, Exum and Drmic are definately players of the future, how can we say they are ahead of comparable players of much more experience playing in Europe or in the NBL right now?

Reply #451768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #451769 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I agree with Anon not sure on "form" you can have in Exum who isn't playing & Simmons who's only playing High School ball!

That said exum will be picked cause he'll be in the league!

Not sure Simmons will be ready unless you take him as 13th man...so times letting them develop can be better longterm i.e for the next olympics when we could have 6 or 7 guys in the league

Reply #451770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who from the nbl or euro would you add over the young guys?

Motum? Kickert? Broekhoff? Barlow? Maric? Nielson?
Neville? Jawai? Ogilvy? Johnson? Gibson? Martin? Worthington? Petrie? Madgen? Gliddon? Steindl? Tragardh? Wagstaff?

Reply #451772 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not sure you can pick Dave Andersen on form at the moment either. It's a fickle thing though, wind back a couple of months and AJ Ogilvy's form looks great, now not so much.

Reply #451775 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I have always been an Andersen fan but can't see what he has done lately. Simmons is a future star no doubt but wouldn't put him in just yet. Exum is raw but when you're about to be a lottery pick you deserve a spot. Bairstow and Goulding have played themselves into the team imo.

Reply #451796 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Yeah I am a bit hessitant on Simmons right now, playing High School ball.. isn't really ready to contribute.. he is going to be a Boomer but no need to put him in a World Champs team and a spots lost to someone who can immediately contribute.

Same kind of goes for Exum, I think he is too young to immediately contribute and I think that will show in the NBA also.. he will take atleast half a season to really get up to scratch.. Hes definitely the future of the team.. but the future is not RIGHT NOW... I would throw him in for some pre-cup tournys though.

No Brainers

Delly
Mills
Ingles
Baynes
Bogut (if he could pull his finger out)
-------

Then..

Goulding
Drmic
Bairstow
Martin
Anderson
Jawai
Newley

Reply #451806 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

GWBs squad looks about right with any of the following capable of being added due to injury/availability
Broekhoff
Motum
Ogilvy
Maric
Worthington
Gibson
Exum could make it though as 11/12 man.

Reply #451859 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If we are looking to include Drmic then you'll be throwing in Exum as one is likely to be a top 5 pick and the other undrafted playing in lower Euro leagues or NBL.

Reply #451869 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Drmic needs to get a lot stronger, he is still a boy, albeit a very talented one.

Reply #451871 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Bairstow a lock! He is killing it this year.

Reply #451885 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Bairstow has overtaken Motum imo

Reply #451886 | Report this post

Whodat  
Years ago

So Dante Exum is meant to be a top 5, top 10 draft pick in the NBA. Yet he is on the bubble making the boomers squad......

Reply #451892 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is top five on potential at the moment.

Reply #451893 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

well if there wasn't a chance that Dantes stock would fall I would say he should go to college for 3 years.. I think he needs to strengthen up and be use to playing against men. They are drafting these guys mainly on Potential like Paul said, and not what they are right now. Exum will be the back bone of the team.. probably in 2016.. I dont see Exum showing much in his first NBA year and I don't see why the Boomers would include him to the detriment of someone who contribute immediately. in 2016.. thbis is exums team..

Reply #451896 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Starters

G - Matt Dellavedova
G - Patty Mills
F - Joe Ingles
F - Aron Baynes
C - Andrew Bogut

Bench
G - Adam Gibson
G - Dante Exum
F - Brad Newley
F - Cam Bairstow
C - AJ Ogilvy/Aleks Maric/David Andersen
G - Chris Goulding/Ryan Broekhoff
F - Brock Motum/David Andersen

Assuming they were playing tomorrow I'd have something like this.

First 5 are obvious locks. Newley I think has to make it and Bairstow is playing out of his mind out the moment. I think its wise to include Exum. Gibson acts as somewhat of a veteran. He's a guy who doesn't need to play alot but can play on and off the ball, defend at a high level and knock the 3. Goulding and Broekhoff fight it out for that pure shooter at the end of the bench. Motum and Andersen fight it out for that stretch 4 man. Ogilvy, Maric and Andersen slug it out for the back up 5 man. This guy gets just a few minutes as Baynes and Bogut with play the bulk of the 5 mans minutes.

Reply #451897 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If I was picking a team purely on the here and now Id take Matt Knight over Bairstow. I imagine Cam will turn into the next Matty over time though so prob a good idea to get him in early where Knight was locked out by having Nielsen ahead of him.

Reply #451899 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

AK-- 47 is on the right track but I would take damian martin over adam Gibson just my opinion

Reply #451903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Knight, yes, easy to forget them when they go over seas isn't it?

Reply #451906 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

AK is close but I wouldn't be putting AJ Ogilvy above David Anderson.. Without Anderson we don't have a big who can shoot outside and that kind of thing is valuable. AJ might be ok if he has a good guard setting him up, I suppose he gets a shot if performs well in camp.

I would have Goulding ahead of Broekhoff every day in the week... Damo ahead of gibson solely because Damo gives you a defensive X factor.. you could probably stick him on any opposition guard and irritate them.. gibsons a good defender but hes not in Damos league. now that damos shots dropping... have to give it to him.

I have already stated my thoughts on Exum so I will leave that at that. Very interesting times ahead

Reply #451912 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Any love for Julian Khazzouh folks?

Now playing in Lebanon I think, he was really doing good things on the court before he left our shores...

Reply #451922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasn't he committed to Lebanon?

Reply #451937 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He didnt show up to Lebanese NT camp last season apparently, which caused a bit of a stir as that was considered part of his deal (at least by the journo who wrote the article).

Khazzouh would have to do a lot of work to be a quality international player though, he has the skill of course, but the last time I saw him his physicality, concentration and defence were well off that level.

Reply #451938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thoughts on opals?

Reply #452015 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754