Chris
Years ago

NZ NBL Off-Season Rate Card: North Island

Check out this article from NZhoops on the off-season for the North Islands NBL teams:

http://nzhoops.co.nz/2014-nbl-offseason-update-north-island/

I'll post the south Island one on here too.

Topic #33496 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Thanks for posting, lots of good stuff on nzhoops, worth a read if you like a few different angles. Love how Niall devotes time to breaking down the game.

I notice he referred to Marcel Jones as an import, does he play as a Kiwi now or is he still restricted?

Reply #452557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import for palmy kiwi everywhere else as only allowed one naturalised player

Reply #452587 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The upcoming season stands to be one of the most even/fiercely contested from recent memory.

Look at the spread of talent:

Auckland - Boucher/Corletto/probably few Breakers DP's/a good import

Manawatu - Trueman, Horvath, Marcel Jones, Alonzo Burton

Nelson - Vukona (if they can get him), J.Pace, Erron Maxxey (if they can get him back), Ruscoe and Bloxham.

Otago - BJ Anthony (if he doesn't go to AKL), Akeem Wright(if can get him back from ACB), Hayden Allen, Dickel and Tisby

Southland - Brian Conklin, Braswell, Martin, Te Rangi and Henry

Wellington - Webster/Tait/Maybe get the likes of Rickert and Andrew Warren back (Bit of cash left for the imports you'd imagine)

Hawkes Bay - Everard Bartlett, Kenny, Kareem Johnson, Winitana and a high level import.

It is going to be a very competitive league and one where games should be tight.

Pero isn't managing to pull anyone at Waikato - as the article suggests, no Breakers boys or even Aucklanders really want to come down and play for him.

Remember, he was essentially sacked by Wellington -- mainly because he didn't work hard enough as a coach. (I remember last season, half way through, when he just left to the GC for a week and didn't tell the owner or anything)

Reply #452595 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

That sounds like a hell of a coach that Waikato has, Macdub...

A real keeper.

Reply #452616 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Nothings official until players have signed.
Be interesting to see who the Saints get as coach. Pero chose to go to Waikato to coach. His role there as well is development officer. Working with rep teams schools etc

Reply #452620 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

He chose to go to Waikato mainly because Mills elected to advertise the Saints head coaching position.

He walked away from what has being the top team over the last 4 years to join a team coming off a 2-14 record last season.

I don't think he voluntarily went. I think he was pushed. Just my opinion.

Reply #452634 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Year before that Waikato were stacked and went well

Reply #452646 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Pledger still a muppet. youd think after @ least 5years in the pro game . hed have a strong body by now and elevate his game

Reply #452702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pledger is a former NZ NBL league and finals MVP and a player who has improved every year in the ANBL you 'muppet'

Reply #452976 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

agreed, he (Pledge) has managed to steer clear of any major injuries and improve every year.

Reply #452978 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:41 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754