Anonymous
Years ago

Will Kyrie Irving make Team USA?

With lots of talk about who will be in the Boomers squad, I was thinking is Kyrie Irving actually playing that well to make the team USA team. I doubt he will ever suit up for the green and gold, but I think he might be in international basketball limbo at not being good enough for team USA.

Based on current form, I would have him as the 6th best USA PG behind:
1 - Chris Paul
2 - Steph Curry
3 - Damian Lillard
4 - John Wall
5 - Mike Conley Jr
6 - Kyrie

This doesn't count that Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo or Russell Westbrook who have been injured in the most part or that Deron WIlliams is out of form. Or the fact that guys like Kyle Lowry, Monta Ellis, Michael Carter-Williams, Isiah Thomas, Ty Lawson or Eric Bledsoe probably won't get looked at as not being bigger enough names.

On current form I would say the team would be
PG - Paul / Curry / Lillard
SG - Harden / George
SF - Durant / Anthony
PF - James / Love / Alridge
C - Davis / Cousins

With Dwayne Wade, Blake Griffin, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh and Andre Iguodala, Al Horford missing out.

So given that is Kyrie a chance of the Boomers?

Topic #33506 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought I read somewhere that Paul, James & Kobe had retired from team USA?

Reply #452786 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

I would have Ty Lawson ahead of Kyrie based on current form. Also there is no chance of Davis playing C at this point in his career. He is not strong enough to handle the bigger and stronger European C's.

Reply #452789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al Horford isnt Americsn so would never make team USA anyway

Reply #452792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

American**

Reply #452793 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

C - LaMarcus Aldridge/DeMarcus Cousins
F – Carmelo Anthony/Anthony Davis
F – Kevin Durant/Kyle Korver
G – Paul George/James Harden/Steph Curry
G – Russell Westbrook/Damian Lillard/ Mike Conley

This team has 3 genuine big men in Aldridge, Cousins and Davis. All bring something different to the international game. Melo is a devastating 4 man. Durant and George are lengthy wings that can just score at will. George will play the "Iguodala" role and be the designated lockdown wing defender. Korver is the 12th man, there to just spread the floor when necessary. Harden is the 6th man and can fill anything spot from 1-3. Curry is another shooter off the ball. Westbrook provides an experienced guy to handle the ball who can also play off the ball when George and Durant handle it. Conley is another lockdown defender who can shut down the better 1's and 2’s and Lillard is there as a legit point guard but one who will benefit hugely from the experience.

Reply #452797 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Can't see Kyrie making the team....he really isn’t making people better and as a PG he needs to focus on this as Team USA have plenty of better scoring options…(Melo, Durant, Aldridge etc)

Paul was always first choice and he didn’t score heavily he facilitated to the offence and got others involved not sure Kyrie has that in his game at this point as he is a score first guy.

Despite him not making Team USA he ain’t playing for OZ

Reply #452798 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I don't see him making team USA way too much talent ahead of him probably has a better shot at 2020 team when he will be 28

Reply #452800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia don't need him. Will be stacked at the PG position - Exum/Patty/Delly

Reply #452829 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He isn't good enough for Team USA.

Reply #452831 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Kyrie instead of Kobe
yes plz

Reply #452836 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

Yes but the Team USA coach is his old College coach !!! Coach K will pick Kyrie because of the duke connection

Reply #452841 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Rubbish.

Reply #452842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

829, so you rate Exum, Patty and Delly ahead of Kyrie then? That's a big call.

Reply #452849 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

will he? dont get me wrong but his product endorsements will be more appealing to the world if he stays loyal to Basketball USA. also, i wonder if he really remember growing up in Australia or what.

Reply #452877 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kyrie is slightly overrated IMO.

I think his flashy plays and dazzling handles tend to cause some fans to forget his sometimes inefficient shooting and semi-selfish decision making.

Its a case of his big plays been that good that people forget the other (many) mistakes he makes.

Reply #452879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, he's not good enough yet, not sure he ever will be.

Reply #452893 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I hope not, but I don't know what exactly he would bring to the Boomers, would Andrej do everything he can to keep Kyrie happy or will he think more team balance and give Exum experience that will be invaluable in the future ? To do both I see Mills and Delly perhaps getting their noses put out of joint if its not resulting in wins and they aren't touching the ball enough to do anything about it

Reply #452916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't say that exum/patty/delly are better than kyrie. I said Australia doesn't need him. We have some quality players who can play the PG position. And players who are willing to play team ball.

Reply #452925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754