koberulz
Years ago

NBL Hoping for Four Expansion Teams in 2015/16

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/r5fl3zzq8fx0zi92ja6epxij

"Project expansion consultant Graham Watson, a former test cricketer and a key figure in the establishment of the licences for the Western Sydney Wanderers (A-League) and the Greater Western Sydney Giants (AFL) has been brought in as a consultant to canvas opportunities in Australia and New Zealand.

"We're not just going to go 'there’s our four that we think’ and hope it all works. We’re going to look at five or six potential sites to go to and we’ll get four out of that. We’re determined to get the four," he said.

Mr Neill said the NBL has a long-term plan for a 16-team competition within five years."

Topic #33510 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I assume that they'd rather more smaller teams than fewer monster teams. Seems like an interesting tactic.

Doing it all in one hit strikes me as free agent payday for that off-season. Without more imports and at least a few Euros back, we'd be hard pressed to fill 30-40 more jobs and maintain the talent level, but this would keep more players around, provide more spots for college returnees or those straight out of the AIS, etc.

Not sure how they've reconciled this with TV numbers of regional teams? Wonder what the NBA does with regard to that?

Reply #452847 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I tell you what, if they bring in four new rosters in one hit, the teams that manage to keep their squad together from the 14/15 season will simply destroy the ladder.

Reply #452848 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

I might get a gig in the nbl?

just saying four as a number seems a bit weird?... so they will take four new teams even if only 3 bids actually look remotely viable?

Reply #452850 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They're aiming for four. That doesn't mean it'll be four regardless.

South Melbourne, Brisbane and Wellington seem likely.

Reply #452852 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

"Project expansion consultant Graham Watson, a former test cricketer and a key figure in the establishment of the licences for the Western Sydney Wanderers (A-League) and the Greater Western Sydney Giants (AFL) has been brought in as a consultant to canvas opportunities in Australia and New Zealand."

Now that's a pretty serious range of end results.

Reply #452853 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Ben Allen may start

Reply #452856 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I seriously think 4 in one year is too big a leap. Maybe 2 one year then 2 the next.

Reply #452858 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Let's hope they can get four and manage the transition well to give them a chance to be competitive sooner rather than later.

Reply #452859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New teams will be in next season. Expect Mr Watson to get the GM's job in the NNBL too.

Reply #452861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Extra teams sounds awesome! Aslong as its viable, id love to see it.

I dont mind extra teams diluting the talent pool, the dilution of talent in the nba is huge, it would mean the days of having guys like Creek, Cadee, Schenscher off your bench would be gone and guys like Daly and Burdon would get gigs in a 10 year after year.

will probably lead to more high scoring games and guys like Goulding could average above 30ppg.

Could also allow us to retain more top end talent, as given say the extra spots go to guys like Daly on the cheap it could allow each team to pay a player around 300k per year, which could see some of our stars stay ie Cedric Jackson could still be in the league, which would be awesome.

As remember guys like Creek would now be getting starting gigs, benches wouldnt be very deep so that extra money could go on top of the say $150k good imports like Ervin probably get and make it a $300k gig.

Could structure rosters like this

1. 300k
2. 150k
3. 115k
4 100k
5. 100k
6. 60k
7. 50k
8. 50k
9. 40k

Could also add 3 imports, even a cheapy as the 3rd to keep the talent level up on each team.

Reply #452863 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Having a number (4) in mind seems foolish. Why bias the process from the start?
Surely franchises have to be able to meet certain criteria to be successful. Settling for "well, they're not up to scratch, but we only have 2 that are and need a couple more, so what the hell they're in" would hurt more than it helped.

This guy's involvement with the GWS Giants is possibly not the world's greatest selling point either. A team that, despite the league pumping squillions of dollars into, so far has attracted very little interest and has a record of 3-41. That's fine if your wealthy league is determined to see you succeed. Not so good if you're an NBL team though IMO.

Reply #452866 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Was involved in GWS, but also Wanderers, so both sides of the coin there.

Reply #452867 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I know nothing about A-League or the Wanderers. I take it they are successful on top of roaming around around around around?

Reply #452869 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dan, maybe they are using that number as a bit of a carrot to see what's out there. And perhaps it's been said with knowledge of the situation of a few potential teams?

I expect throwing the net wide might mean no minimum venue size.

Reply #452870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Minimum size venues was one of the negative things that impacted severely on the NBL.
Look at the crowd sizes now. Poor. Syd very few paying, Adel well down, Gong low, and the Crocs still low. Tigers only in a 3500 seat venue that seldom sells out. Smaller stadiums lower overheads and with a lot more games in the future basketball is trying to become a hot ticket in 2 seasons time. The new teams will enter in the 15/16 as stated and the main requirement will not be financed based and crowd numbers it will be about what the basketball teams will be able to do within their communities and across the state. Back to the grass roots approach which has long been lost.
The next 18 months will be treacherous and it will be interesting to see who will survive until the new model is in place.
Smaller venues, more teams with a corner stone of community involvement and purpose will be the feature. So will a lot more games per week.

Reply #452885 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

ummm.. I think we need to stop and think where in the world the four potential teams would play out of? Are the venues suitable for broadcasting - otherwise kiss the project goodbye. No one is going to buy a license if they can't get there product on TV.

Reply #452889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Look at the crowd sizes now. Poor. Syd very few paying, Adel well down, Gong low, and the Crocs still low. Tigers only in a 3500 seat venue that seldom sells out"

2010 rang and wants its summary back.

Reply #452890 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Anonymous: Adelaide's crowds aren't down, they're up significantly. Melbourne has sold out several games at the Cage, and generally get far more than the Cage's capacity at their Hisense games. And they won't be playing at the Cage after this year.

Perth are looking at 13,000 for Friday night and haven't had fewer than 10,000 since 2012, NZ is playing half their games at Vector...

Reply #452891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone here said that 5000 or so was break even in Adel. Up until their last game their crowds were down. It's been discussed elsewhere.
Tigers, who cares about Hisense crowd being more than the Cage. The pertinent question is what is break even there. If you get 5000 there and break even is 6000, who cares if more people go there and you lose money.
Gong way down, Crocs way down the only saving grace is Perth crowds keeping the averages up.
Kings, I heard a figure today and the paying crowd is very very poor.
The TV product can be selective. It doesn't mean that your team cant be scheduled on TV at and arena that is TV friendly. Less overheads and more teams playing. 3 games a week at least for everyone. already talk is 20 or so home games. Certainly road triples has been mentioned.

Reply #452895 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You don't know what "down" means, do you?

Reply #452902 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I would love for the NBL to go from an 8 to 12 to 16 team league.

But I cannot help but wonder how come it has been so hard to find new sustainable teams in the last decade but suddenly 8 teams within 3 seasons?

It kind of smacks of if we build it (a bigger league) they will come mentality.

I hope all the new teams can legitimately meet their financials because build a big league only to see one or 2 teams fold each year is more destructive to the NBL than increasing it by one team every 1-2 years.

Reply #452903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A well run franchise doesnt have a break even crowd as that is only one aspect of their financials. NZ, Perth, Cairns and Melbourne are all around break even point or better as an overall organisation, and that is what matters.

Reply #452904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many people pay at Sydney games?

Reply #452910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The question is more about is the club sustainable. If you open the doors for free but make your money elsewhere in your business it doesnt matter.

Reply #452913 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I love this idea, it lets a Newcastle think that if they get their shit together then they may not be overlooked, which is far far better than nipping any chance they have in the arse because they aren't a Melbourne or Brisbane!

I really hope that Tasmania can finally unite and I couldn't give a stuff if its Davenport, Hobart or Launceston... I want the Tassie Devils back and the Tassie talent in the league (Goulding, Walker, Knight and Gibson) if im not mistaken prove that there is tremendous talent down there so anything I'm all for the NBL returning!

Is there any chance/point of having AIS Cannons in the NBL, with all our best juniors given a chance (probably too early) to compete with men. Unsure about imports but I'm guessing they would be role players that could help mentor players instead of stars wanting 20 shots a night. Is AIS arena suitable for TV presentation... Boomers/Opals played there last year.

Lastly I'd like Geelong to think they have a chance of coming back into the league, I know they are hamstrung with an undesirable court but if they can do something with Geelong Cats that can benefit both clubs for training etc. then hopefully the 4 clubs desired is a possibility.

I'm not saying I want THESE 4 clubs in this time (why not though) but I want them to be excited by this announcement and those with the ability step up and give those at NBL real excitement and if there is 5 or 6 genuine viable options then great

Reply #452914 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I would think that Brisbane, Melbourne II, and Wellington are likely to be three of the four to come in in two years. Given that talk of expansion is originating from Tassie, they'd have to be a favourite right now for the fourth spot, but that may require Launceston and Hobart to play nice, which doesn't sound like it's going to happen.

No idea who the next four could be. Newcastle is the only one that springs to mind as a particularly viable option.

Reply #452917 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Getting an NBL side back in Tassie would be great but there is lots of work to do. Hobart - the primary 'home' - has no suitable playing venue.

Chargers currently rent their court from Netball. At just over 1000 capacity, and no room for expansion.

Hopes are pinned on state govt support for a new venue following the March election. Anthony Stewart and Randy Livingstone are part of the working group spruiking it.

As mentioned getting all areas of the state to cooperate would be a miracle.

Reply #452918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well for all of the koberulz and Tiger watcher know it alls here is the latest.
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/local-sport/back-on-board-as-nbl-commits-to-tasmania/story-fnj92b0f-1226802742675
Clearly the NBL are desperate Tiger Watcher by wanting Tassie in and Koberulz the best qoye from Meal was ""This is not about filling big stadiums," Neill said.

"I would rather have 4000 people in a 4000-seat venue than 6000 in a 15,000-seat venue." and he went on to say "It's about taking basketball to the community."
The new approach will certainly make a difference to what most of the NBL clubs aren't doing now. Back to the future finally. Right now Tassie is way ahead of the pack.

Reply #452921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The new approach will certainly make a difference to what most of the NBL clubs aren't doing now."

Early morning gold! Thank you very much!

Reply #452923 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Yes 4 in one year is surely unheard of even in very financially safe sporting leagues. An AIS team primarily based in Canberra but also playing home games in places like Darwin, Albury, Newcastle etc would be ideal as a developmental team for players under 21.

Reply #452934 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

This is great to see. Would love to see 12 teams competing. I personally think 16 sounds like way too many for our top tier league but happy to be proven wrong.

Reply #452936 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

@SMA - Playing Venue in Hobart Derwent Entertainment Centre. Capacity just under 5000.

I would expect to commence you would target crowds of between 2 and 3 thousand and seating sold and arranged for best atmosphere.

Reply #452946 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Rick - I just had a quick look at the Australian Bureau of Statistics data on participation in organised sports. Latest publication was SPORT AND RECREATION: A STATISTICAL OVERVIEW, AUSTRALIA, released 20 December 2012 (catalogue # 4156.0). I didn't have time to check more thoroughly for better data.

AFL has 16 teams each with more than 40 playing personnel, off the back of 212,700 boys aged 5-14 playing football.

A 16 team NBL would be looking for 10-12 local players (excluding imports) per team, off the back of 131,300 boys aged 5-14 playing basketball plus the New Zealand participating population.

That suggests there's the participation base for a top tier league as good as AFL is relative to the other Aussie Rules leagues. I know there are a lot of other variables at play but at least it's a (long term) vision that has a touch of credibility about it.

I think the key difference between achieving a 16 team NBL today and the 16 team NBLs of the past is that today we're looking at fully professional teams (players, coaches, administrators). In the past, they were a mixture of fully professional and semi professional. That makes the task a lot harder.

I believe it will only happen with a TV deal that delivers substantial revenue to the NBL and probably to participating clubs. That's what's driven expansion for other professional sports over the last 20 years.

Reply #452947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there are over 2mill registered basketaball players in the country apparently. The NNBL has done a lot of research into this. With 200 + kids off to college in the USA the talk of diluting the talent pool is furphy.

Reply #452949 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Fastest way to grow a player and talent base is to open up the billets for it.

You can't grow players when they can't play.

The contracted A-League versus the old NSL is causing the same headache for the FFA. You have to grow your talent base with opportunities.

Reply #452950 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

@Rick There is a lot of resistance to return to the DEC. Even Stewart is pushing hard for a dedicated basketball venue. At one stage talk about one in the old city hall.

Libs have offered a carrot, see below, but Hobart already has Kingston (another old Devils haunt), Moonah and Clarence all multi court venues that don't appear to suit.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/local-sport/state-liberals-shoot-for-basketball-vote-with-vow-to-back-new-sports-stadium/story-fnj92b0f-1226782559108

Reply #452953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately SMA that is old news. THe NNBL met with Hodgman yesterday. It may happen and southern basketball still doesnt have a true home.
I would speculate that the NNBL will be running in tassie long before the Libs achieve anything out of their investmant if they get into power.
The GGC also met with the NNBL and are excited to have the possibilitly of the NBL back there.
Enthusiasm, no relutance at all.

Reply #452956 | Report this post

Dr6  
Years ago

Is the plan for a 16 team one tier comp - or for two tiers of 8 teams with relegation etc? Haven't seen any detail on this.

Reply #452957 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think talk of dilution is a furphy - I think it's a discussion worth having. But on the other hand, Nathan is also correct: "You can't grow players when they can't play."

Dilution aside, the sheer number of teams isn't an issue. Each would pull from local investment, sponsorship and fans. But I keep thinking about TV and that the teams getting audiences are not these smaller, regional spots.

Maybe they've looked at secondary channels, worked out what it would cost to run the games themselves on TV (and draw a bigger share of ads) just to make it happen and provide value to sponsors and a product to more fans.

Reply #452958 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If they want to have lots of teams in boutique stadiums they should (and probably are) work with state and local governments on similar stadiums to the State Basketball Centre in Knox that have a 3000-3500 showcourt plus deliver new facilities to the community.

Agree 100% with PeterJohn, this model will only work with a TV deal providing the money to make the comp viable (rather than all the clubs just having to look after themselves). You would imagine the discussions theyve been having with TV stations would be shaping this model though.

Reply #452959 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Would be good to see some of the assistant coaches given a chance to run as head coach too. Seems wasted having coaching talent like Mick Downer, Darryl MacDonald and Mike Kelly sitting on the bench.

Reply #452967 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't think talent dilution is a problem. Most teams go too deep into their rotations as it is in a short season with only 20 odd 40 minute games as it is. As long as the teams go 7 or 8 deep with legit talent youll be fine.

Reply #452971 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Good point Mick but at the moment half the teams are already struggling to be 7 or 8 deep. Cairns, NZ Adelaide and Perth are probably the exceptions.

Reply #452973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Kelly's sat on the bench as an Asst for half a season.

Reply #452980 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

ADL - Ervin, Gibson, Frye, Johnson, Schenscher, Petrie, Cadee, Creek
9th and 10th: Anthony and Teys

MEL - Farrakhan, Goulding, Worthington, Ballinger, Morrison, Walker, Tomlinson, Greer
9th and 10th: Odigie and MacMillan

NZ - Johnson, Corletto, Abercrombie, Vukona, Pledger, Wilkinson, Bruton, Webster
9th and 10th: TeRangi and Development Player

Sydney - Young, Madgen, Harvey, Garlepp, Ogilvy, Hill, Carmouche, Ellis
9th, 10th and 11th: White, Allen and Gleeson

Wollongong - Martin, Clarke, Coenraad, Forman, Davidson, Tiggs, Gruber, Demos
9th and 10th: Harris-Tunks and Cooks

Townsville - Markovic, Pace, Blanchfield, Conklin, Hinder, Norton, Crawford, Holmes
9th, 10th and 11th: Kenny, Djeric and Vanderjact

Cairns - Wilson, Gliddon, Weigh, Loughton, Tragardh, McCamey, Burston, Steindl
9th and 10th: Young and Bruce

Perth - Ennis, Martin, Redhage, Knight, Beal, Wagstaff, Hire, Jervis
9th and 10th: U'u and Burdon

I think all the teams go 8 deep with 9th and below getting limited minutes.

Reply #452983 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I guess it comes down to interpretation of 'deep'. A lot of those players listed at 7 and 8 would struggle to start and play consistently if one of their star players went down with a long-term injury (eg. Greer, Ballinger, Hill, Harvey, Demos, Hinder, Norton). (note: probably being a bit harsh on Greer given he's only just come back).

Reply #452986 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All of those have started at some point recently. Guys like Creek, Anthony, Wagstaff, Gruber, Tiggs, etc should be starting in a bigger league and it would be just as entertaining.

Reply #452989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the NNBL?

Reply #453004 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

NNBL is new NBL or NBL pty. Ltd. the non BA owned league.

@ Curtly. Mate that is the best idea ever to have AIS playing out of experimental stadiums such as Darwin, Geelong, Newcastle etc. as we know they will be the leagues whipping boys but also everyone's 2nd favourite team and if they are coached to play free flowing run and gun offence then the enthusiasm of 21 year olds will be infectious and fun to watch and hopefully a university will be their major sponsor and other advertisers would be aimed at that demographic.

Reply #453191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The CoE as they are now called won't be able to play in the NBL. They are unable to commit to SEABL for a full season now, let alone an NBL season with probably twice as many games.

Reply #453197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The aim of the NNBL is try and become the hottest ticket in town. great idea and with the approach they are already showing every chance it could happen. Smart, savvy businessmen heading it up. Not only smart, but possibly for the first time they understand the game and what hopefully everyone wants.
Taking it back to the community and developing the game from there again. Rather than pandering to selfish owners and players. Once the model has been finalised wit will be a pleasure to see it implemented.

Reply #453202 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:19 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754