Funny one
Years ago

National Junior Classic venues announced

Just saw that the venues for the National Junior Classic have been announced.

12s & 14s at MSAC as normal.

16s at Sandringham and 18s at Frankston.

That's a change. No 16s & 18s together and no Dandenong Stadium.

Wonder why it was split and moved away from Dandenong Stadium? Hope Dandenong Stadium didn't lose what should be a lucrative weekend of Basketball.

Topic #33537 | Report this topic

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Where was that announced?

Reply #453399 | Report this post

Funny one  
Years ago

VJBL site today - http://www.vjbl.com.au/index.php?id=10&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=429&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=a0ec04a7ac

Reply #453402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the sandringham stadium like compared to dandenongs? Why don't they use the state basketball centre or whatever the Knox one is?

Reply #453407 | Report this post

Funny one  
Years ago

Sandringham is a four court stadium whilst Dandenong is 10 or 15?

I think it costs a lot to use it but don't quote me on that as the Knox people may get even more upset.

Reply #453408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bloody hell, Frankston! Who wants to go all that way?

Reply #453418 | Report this post

Vodka 33  
Years ago

Seems a very unusual move to take the classic away from a venue that has run it successfully over many years and split it to create three venues. There will be a lot of travelling for some families.

Reply #453437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't fix what ain't broke!

Reply #453444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodka 33, it's always been run at two venues. 12s and 14s together, and 16s and 18s together. Your post sounds as if you think it has all been held at one venue in the past.

Reply #453445 | Report this post

Vodka 33  
Years ago

True two venues but now three. Families will be travelling more. Dandy a very good venue all round. Nothing wrong with the others but just feel it is strange to take it away from Dandenong who have run the older age groups for many years.

Reply #453452 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

madness for interstate teams.

if we assume Classics qualification and book near Sandringham and DON"T make it you can farewell teams then competing at Nunawadding.
It's too late to find accomodation close by and too far for teams to travel back and forth from Sandringham digs.
Very poorly thought out situation.
It has now become Classics or bust..the Spectres tourney will suffer greatly through no fault of their own.

Reply #453481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have heard it is purely a financial decision.
Apparently previously Dandenong didn't charge for court hire (and I assume made a killing on canteen etc). Whereas they tried to charge a fair bit this year, which I guess wasn't cost efficient.
Have heard "the new Knox" is not used for the same reason except it very expensive.

Not having 16s and 18s together will, quite frankly, greatly reduce the fun of the tournament. Very poor form by Dandenong.

Reply #453497 | Report this post

Vodka 33  
Years ago

So does this mean that the other venues including msac don't charge court hire for the Classic. Would be a huge burden carrying all the energy cost for all the courts.

Reply #453512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodka - I'm not sure - I personally would have thought that MSAC would have been quite expensive to hire.
The above is the word going around the SCC yesterday - that the costs for using Dandy had risen too much as a result of court hire no longer being zero.

Reply #453513 | Report this post

Vodka 33  
Years ago

What other costs would the host venue have to charge for? Court hire costs are often reduced for BV events.

Reply #453514 | Report this post

Funny one  
Years ago

Obviously the new management at Dandy decided to make some money on the event and ended up making nothing!

Heard they pay for MSAC but it might not be that much. They did move it away from MSAC one year and played at Frankston & Dandy. Went back the next year, I think MSAC realised their mistake.Maybe Dandy will next year.

Reply #453518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodka - that's the point! They were nothing, now they are a fair bit more than that. Tournament organisers look like they went with a cheaper alternative.

Reply #453533 | Report this post

Vodka 33  
Years ago

At least the DBA did not incur the costs of energy Would seem a good business decision to not give courts away for nil. It would seem they will also not have to pay wages, cleaning costs etc.
Great tournament so let's all get down to new venues to support it.

Reply #453536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL - a terrible decision actually. The upstairs bistro and (in particular) the canteen would have made a TON of money - the line to the canteen was always 20+m long. Even if they wanted to cover some other costs, negotiating to cover a happy outcome for all seems better than just quoting a ridiculous jump in costs.
There will be little support for the new tournaments as they are a) split and b) not in great locations. A terrible result for families with multiple players. I was at the last Frankston classics (for 12/14s) and it was a dump then.

Reply #453539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodka 33 - how much vodka have you been drinking? Started early this morning did you? It's an absolutely terrible decision and the DBA will lose out big time. No doubt they will realise the error of their ways and fight tooth and nail to get it back next year.

Reply #453543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lock up your cars at Frankston.

Reply #453555 | Report this post

State watcher  
Years ago

At least both the Sandringham and Frankston courts have a fair lot of noise reducing grandstands between courts. MSAC and parts of Dandenong continue to be a nightmare for coaches and parents at Classic and VJBL finals (I got to coach at both last season and the noise didn't contribute to the quality of games)
I also doubt that the venues will affect patronage- these are national invitational tournaments.

Reply #453560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course they will - I went to watch the 16s/18s last year. I wouldn't go to watch just one, just not feasable.

Reply #453577 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

I coached at Dandendong for ten years and never found the noise to be that bad really but each to their own. MSAC is horrible for noise and the 2 courts by themselves at Frankston are the worst going around IMO. The other Frankston courts are petty good though. I've seen so many VJBL games on the 2 isolated courts at all grades where the kids have stopped thinking the siren or whistle on the next court was on their court. Not to mention the very weird shape of the backboards.

Reply #453587 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

I agree that the noise at MSAC is horrible, but i have never had the same problem at Dandenong sorry. Surely to christ they will not use both of those back courts @ Frankston? Cant see everyone fitting in to watch, so i think they only really could use one of those back courts.

How many courts would you think they would need to use? 4? If thats the case, i think they will be fine.

As for the "lock up your cars" comment.....What, as apposed to Dandenong???

Reply #453592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they have to split 16's and 18's I would much prefer 16 and 18 boys at the same stadium and the girls at the same.

Reply #453627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they cant use the State Sports Centre as Knox signed an agreement with Nunawading to host the Nunawading Tournament there for a few years. So until that agreement runs out the classic cant use the state sports centre.

Reply #453657 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yeah i agree with anon regarding the 16's and 18 boys being at one stadium, and then the girls being at another stadium. Makes sense to me!

Reply #453674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The difference between having yer car stolen from Dandenong in stead of Frankston is that at least when it is stolen in Frankston you don't have far to go to retrieve yer car!

Reply #453683 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Who doesn't ordinarily lock up their car, regardless of the location?

Reply #453684 | Report this post

Vodka33  
Years ago

Dandenong could possibly be lost to the classic As it manages the Stadium now they will look at filling the Queens Birthday long weekend with another event.

Reply #453811 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:48 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754