GWB
Years ago

NBL in small venues? Yes or No?

So it looks like the NBL wants to play every night, and from small venues... I have issues with small venues which I outlined in a letter I wrote to Boti Nagy. Here it is.

Hey Boti,

Just writing in regards to the 'Crystal Ballin' article on your blog page.

I worry a bit about the smaller venues, the push for 60 games and holding games every day of the week.

Mainly because the smaller venues in question look unprofessional as I see it. I don't profess to have seen every venue in Australia but many of the ones I see and hear about look like glorified local recreation centers.. That wouldn't look very good on TV, hence in my opinion would effect ratings.

I think a fair amount of money would have to be spent to bring these kinds of venues up to something that looks professional.. what with netball lines and markings everywhere simply making the product look cheap in my humble opinion..

Then 60 games (or 44 for the 15/16 season) is overkill I think. Scheduling would need to be drastically overhauled so as not to have these "groundhog day" games.. where Adelaide and Townsville are playing eachother.. AGAIN... personally.. I wanted a slightly shorter season to avoid that kind of thing and I think teams should play eachother 3 times and not 4..

Playing games every day of the week I think would also lead to having empty stadiums on many days... Not sure that will translate well to TV either. I just think the league needs to look professional, sure it CAN be done in a small venue but I just don't think it can if the venues aren't purpose made for it and are essentially makeshift courts.

Just my thoughts.. would be interested to know what you think in response.

Also looking forward to "Crystal Ballin part 2"

Thanks..

____

So what do you feel about how small venues will impact the NBL?

Topic #33547 | Report this topic

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

A lot of the current venues look like 'glorified local recreational centres.' I would like to see more thought go into the court colouring etc so they provide a better TV product.
But to answer the original thread, yes if they're going to run with 60 games, no if they're going to run with 28 games and maybe a mix if they're going to run with 44.

Reply #453614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where are the current glorified rec centres?
The 60 games thing is rubbish. If it happens and IMO it's extremely unlikely, worry about it then. Not now.

Reply #453615 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The other problem with the smaller stadiums is that they're terrible to get to, which decreases attendance. Challenge Stadium is essentially inaccessible by public transport, and you can get a seat at Perth Arena cheaper than Challenge's parking fees. The Cage apparently has no parking, and possibly no public transport access.

And yeah, the Cage in particular looks terribly amateurish, with the netball lines in place.

Reply #453618 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

The only small venue that I think looks good (in fact, great) on TV is the Brisbane Convention Centre, when the Bullets were around. Perhaps the best "boutique" venue there is with a capacity of no more than 4,000. Fantastic to watch a game there on the TV. I think its the lighting and clean court that give it a professional look.

Wollongong Ent Centre, Cairns Convention Centre and Townsville Ent Centre have perhaps the best capacity venues for the league (between 5,000 and 5,800), and their venues are quite nice, modern and look fine on TV. But when its empty or half full, then there's problems, and being struggling regional teams, that happens often.

The Cage would be much better if it didn't have the netball lines, as mentioned, but when its full it has a really good atmosphere and looks pretty good on TV. It's about 1,000 capacity too small however.

I dislike NSEC and hope one day that the Breakers can sustain playing more games at Vector.

As long as there are a handful of teams that play in bigger stadiums (and get crowds) like Perth Arena, Vector, Adelaide Arena, SEC and soon to be Margaret Court Arena - then there is a good mix of large and small venues, which I think the league will still want to maintain even if they are gearing for smaller venues when they expand.

Reply #453622 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Wollongong just barely got their shot clock fixed.

Cairns can't get faster than dialup to broadcast NBL.tv.

I fear for smaller venues being up to scratch.

Reply #453624 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Technical issues aside, I was talking about their capacities being ideal, in the 5000 to 5800 range.

Reply #453625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane Convention Centre has a large rent for only 4000 seats.

Reply #453626 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I actually think Cairns/Townsville look ugly on TV. Wollongong looks ok but I still would have the floor colours changed and lighting. Would it kill the NBL to try to do something a bit different and colorful with the floors?

Reply #453628 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

WHile we are talking small venues.. If it does become a league of botique (read shitty small) venues.. you could make a claim for Northern Territory... who hasn't really got anything going on at all and would probably get behind a team.

Reply #453629 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The French Pro A is notorious for a lot of 'boutique' venues - 3500 to 4000 capacity.

(I watched a French Pro A game on TV.
Despite the small venue, the broadcast did not look bad on TV)

The France Pro A has a TV deal until 2017 for only two live games to be shown per week.

Yet teams have an average budget of $4.1 million euros, which works out to be $6.3m AUD.

Sponsorship must be quite large.

What is this league doing/teams doing that we aren't?

Is it simply because French Pro A teams are bankrolled by extremely wealthy businessman? Surely they would still expect some sort of profit back or expect to at least break even? (which suggests sustainability)

Reply #453634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams make a little bit of money off transfer fees of players.

Reply #453637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's so ass backwards in Australia. In junior leagues, all we do is play games and train less. Our senior men's league is the reverse - train more and play less. Absurd.

Reply #453638 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

koberulz,

the cage is very accesible via public transport...like all sporting venues in Melbounre (Waverly being the exception) just catch a tram, yes parking there is limited but public transport is so accesible there why would you drive to any sporting venue in Melb?

I think if costs were the biggest issue in regards to playing in smaller more profitable venues than who cares what it looks like on TV...

If the league wants to progess it has to do something different...

like the old saying whats the definiton of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome...

atm thats all we seem to be doing...

teams back in canberra, newcastle, tassie, western sydney, brisbane plus playing in smaller venues with less over heads and more profit for clubs in front of capacity crowds and a good standard of basketball being played with a majority of games on FTA whether delayed or live with a weekly Basketball wrap up for half hour or an hour on sunday afternoon would be fantastic...

i can dream can't i?

Reply #453644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah The Cage is fairly accessible - train station is close and tram line goes right by the stadium. Went for the first time ever a few weeks ago and found it more viewer friendly than Hisense. Also a more intense and loud (damn those "clappers") atmosphere. One issue (which is a general issue with a summer season) is that it gets hot. Was on Sunday afternoon and only low 20s outside but quite humid inside. Could see it affecting players at times. Not ideal basketball playing conditions.

Reply #453650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Koberulz and Tiger Watcher should win a shared award for lack of basketball knowledge and trying to make it sound real.

MSAC a great venue and atmosphere when occasionally full,and whilst parking isn't ideal if you get there early there is an abundance. tram literally at the door and also in Flemington Rd if you want a longer walk. train nearby too.

You also have to understand that not every location has a dedicated basketball facility. Shared venues are the way of the future for many locations.
The old Devils stadium was known as the court with a 1000 lines and was the hottest ticket back then. No one had any issues with the lines then including the players.
it the experts that don't like this and don't like that like the afore mentioned that really are too fussy for words let alone knowledge.

Reply #453651 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NBL in small venues?

Yes, provided it is a mix with games in big venues. Games at SNAHC, MSAC and SBC in Melbourne have a great atmosphere and look fine ok on TV, but if you are having marquee games you want on a main FTA channel it is best to have them at MCA, HA, PA, AA, SEC, VA etc with a big crowd.

The idea of mixing up the stadiums allows the best of both worlds, more games, lower rents but also keep the growth of recent years where more and more capital city teams are attracting decent sized crowds once again.

Reply #453653 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Aren't all stadiums air-conditioned? I would have thought the players union (is there such a thing??) would be all over that.

Reply #453658 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Good point earlier about taking games into NT. Perth used to have one or two home games there until the season and league was reduced. But there would be nothing stopping say TSV having a 'home' game there, especially during a longer season.

Reply #453661 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

the 36ers are/were looking at tassie and i think darwin as well jsut recently... will be interesting to see how it all works out int he future...

but i think the league is on the up and good things ahead for the competition!

Reply #453664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait for a 60 game season if they can get 16 teams (not likely). More games more highlights. Four games a week currently is weak as.

Current crop of stadiums is perfect apart from SNAHC although it's great Tigers play part of their schedule at HA.

How is Townsville ugly on TV. Their court is one of the best looking.

The worst venue in terms of broadcast presentation is AA which looks awful on screen due to lighting issues. It looks so dark when watching on the tube.

Agree that Brisbane CC although small looked sexy in its day.

Reply #453687 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

SOmeone said "how the stadium looks on TV doesn't matter"... I ask, how in the world doesn't it matter??????

I think "drop in" courts are the way to go... and make them look cool if you can.

Reply #453689 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

What exactly do they mean by small venues in terms of capacity?

Is there a realistic small venue option for all current teams - mainly thinking Wollongong, Cairns, Adelaide.

Reply #453693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with GWB. Make the courts look hot. I love some of the college basketball hardwoods which have a huge team logo emblazoned across the halfway point, e.g. Kansas Jayhawks.

Reply #453696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason why the new brass in charge mention small venues is to let regionals in, they are basically scrapping the minimum capacity rule. They don't mean capital city teams playing out of tin sheds, that would suck.

Reply #453697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is an NBLPA that is as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike.
The summer rule was always expected to include AC in any venue that was to play NBL. Under the NNBL I don't know what their expectations are.

Reply #453707 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"I think Koberulz and Tiger Watcher should win a shared award for lack of basketball knowledge and trying to make it sound real.

MSAC a great venue"

That's hilarious. I said *possibly* no public transport, which isn't definitive and relates only tangentially to basketball at all. You don't even know what venue they play in.

Reply #453709 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The old Devils stadium was known as the court with a 1000 lines and was the hottest ticket back then. No one had any issues with the lines then including the players.
Might not be a deal-breaker, but certainly makes the league look a little more professional if they can play on a surface that looks right for the sport. Part of the prospective new audience would be NBA snobs used to professional looking courts and others might be coming across from the pristine look of the Australian Open or things like AFL, A-League, etc.

There'd be priorities over court appearance though. Good presentation, entertaining product and enthusiastic commentators would be higher up the list when it comes to broadcast.

Reply #453713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course you said possibly Kobe, that's a way of saying you don't know and are hoping you maybe right. How do you know I don't know what venue they play in? yet another assumption from you.

Reply #453715 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Small venues is only about new regionals?

If they are talking a huge increase in games then they cannot just be talking about this. If Wollongong go from 14 home games to say 22, you would expect their average crowd to drop again, hardly making it sustainable to play in the venue. If it was 30 home games, even worse. I would think if Wollongong stay in the league, with extra games, they have to play somewhere else as well.

Venue deals has always been one of the biggest issues for the NBL, since they graduated from association stadiums.

Cairns has a great venue deal, as stated here previously, and appear to be making a reasonable go of their business model accordingly.

Reply #453716 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Of course you said possibly Kobe, that's a way of saying you don't know and are hoping you maybe right."
No, it's a way of saying that I recall hearing something along those lines and may or may not be right. I was quite aware of the possibility I could be wrong, which is why I said "possibly".

"How do you know I don't know what venue they play in?"
You mentioned the atmosphere at MSAC when it's full. When is MSAC ever full for an NBL game?

Reply #453724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly when I have been there in the past there have been games when it's been full.

Reply #453726 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Like I said: you don't even know which venue the Tigers play in.

Reply #453729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank goodness schools back next week.

Reply #453733 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Tigers play at SNAHC. Why is MSAC relevant?

Reply #453734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typo. And I am sure I have been to far more NBL games there at SNAHC than you will ever get too.

Reply #453735 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm sure you have, but that's entirely irrelevant.

You took a shot at me over my 'lack of basketball knowledge', which was actually a lack of knowledge of public transport in a location I've never been to, and 'trying to make it sound real', by which I can only assume you mean speaking with a misplaced tone of authority, which I wasn't doing in the slightest.

You went on to claim the Tigers played at MSAC. I pointed out that they didn't. You continued to dig in and suggest I was an idiot, despite the fact that I mentioned MSAC by name in every single post I made on the subject, giving you ample time to spot the mistake you'd made. It's not like you made the error, didn't realise it initially, and then it was never mentioned by name again so you still didn't notice.

Basically, you're calling me an idiot because you made a mistake, which is a pretty flawed argument.

Reply #453736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe but you still are an idiot.
MSac, Snac easily confused Possibly

Reply #453738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your lack of basketball knowledge has been found out so many times here and on ozhos

Reply #453739 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

trolling or school holidays or both?"!

Reply #453740 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Anon 453738 - At the risk of "feeding the troll", how is koberulz an idiot? You may not agree with him, but there is nothing he has said in this thread that indicates he's an idiot or wrong or even that he knows what he's talking about (by him saying "possibly"). In fact, you've made the error by mistaking SNAHC for MSAC, which took you a while to realise.

Anyway, since you've been to both venues, it should be easier for you to not get them confused...

Shall we move on then ;)

Reply #453745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO yes I would say for existing regionals as well not just new ones.

Reply #453748 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

As Ho said, with more games.. bigger stadiums may become unsustainable.. especially if the games are played during the week. WOuld have a hard time filling Perth Arena on a Tuesday night, Adelaide Arena on the Monday... I am not completely against small arenas but they MUST look good... and I think its a huge priority because your going to have the court in view for the whole game.. so they have to look, clean, neat, professional.. and if NBL can manage.. a spot of flair wouldn't hurt too.. the product MUST look professional.. simple as that

Reply #453759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very few here have been to MSAC. I made an error. I am sure Koberulz has never seen and NBL game at MSAC. Simple.
Koberulz is as dumb on here as he is on Ozho's.
Be great to see Perth playing out of Challenge again. The way I have heard it that by the time, and that's a big if, there are 16 teams playing in the NBL the Wildcats will be playing in China with a 2nd string side playing here.

Reply #453760 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"I am sure Koberulz has never seen and NBL game at MSAC. Simple."
I love how you think this makes you right, when in fact nobody was disagreeing with that, since nobody was talking about MSAC. Even you, apparently, since you claim it was a typo.

"Be great to see Perth playing out of Challenge again."
It really wouldn't. Particularly during the week. It's basically inaccessible via public transport and parking costs an arm and a leg.

"The way I have heard it that by the time, and that's a big if, there are 16 teams playing in the NBL the Wildcats will be playing in China with a 2nd string side playing here."
[citation needed]

Reply #453764 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Sixers could still play at the Arena in front of reduced crowds by bringing everyone down below the concourse. That might drop capacity to 5k?

I'd be keen to know what their strategy is with crowds at frequent games. Boti's implied that smaller capacity would increase demand and create a "hotter" ticket, but I think they'd be hard-pressed to do it at anything like current prices.

What about the idea of having a dedicated weekend in each host city? e.g., one weekend each in Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne, etc every team is there that same weekend and plays two games or whatever they could fit in. Adelaide Blitz, Perth Blitz, etc. Buy a day ticket or weekend pass and see six games each day running from 10am until 10pm. Concert each night for fans even.

The other thing is there's nothing (but history) saying that all 44 or 60 games have to be played under the same championship. The goal is constant basketball, but half could be traditional and half could be something experimental - shorter games or modified rules (3-4 points for a dunk, c'mon, someone has to do it first), change in the way free throws or timeouts work, or fouling at the end of the game. Or even the first-to-100 concept - that would be interesting.

Splitting the game types so that two championships were run concurrently or back to back could enable historical data to stay relevant. e.g., the primary season stays 40 or 48 minutes and with traditional rules. The rest is "something else" with its own stats, in the way that T20 or One Day Internationals work.

What happens when you play 4-on-4? Does it make room for more dunks? What about not requiring passing in after a score? Big Bash is insanely entertaining and they have done whatever they want - the bails glowing is just one example.

Reply #453771 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Hi, curious.

Reply #453781 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Would appreciate it if the childish bickering would stop, I wasted valuable seconds of my life having to scroll through some teenage girl bullshit just now.. save it for the nightclub ladies.

Isaac has a few interesting ideas. But I think they need refining. NBL is trying to get games during the whole week, and not just one day with 6 games or something. I don't think many of the ideas would get off the ground but I like the fact he is thinking outside of the box..

Reply #453783 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Big Bash is insanely entertaining and they have done whatever they want - the bails glowing is just one example."
Other than the shorter game, the rules haven't actually changed though. The light-up bails are just an aesthetic thing.

Reply #453784 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

koberulz, talking about how they have not stayed bowed to the sacred cow that is Test Cricket and its whites. They've added other forms of the game and in doing so been able to optimise for entertainment, ultimately leading to Big Bash. Things like the free hit (T20?), forced field placements, power play (I don't even know what that is, but hear it mentioned by commentators), some clown celebrity trying to presumably catch a six for home viewers?

The ref has a hashtag on the back. The uniforms are garish and have a sponsor logo right where you expect to see the player name.

Not sure of the capacity in Adelaide, but it's selling out and this is without history, past branding, etc.

Add regional teams to the NBL, reduce the crowds, play in dorkier venues and saturate the audience with games - unless they do more than tweak the way refs are calling it, I'm not sure how that's going to compete with what other sports present in 2014. And that's even if they secretly have a TV network lined up to run it all live.

Reply #453786 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Forced field placements and power plays were standard parts of limited-overs cricket long before T20 was a thing. In fact, I believe power plays only truly exist in the one-day game, and the name has simply carried over to T20, although I don't watch much of either so I could be wrong. (FTR: a 'power play' is a period of the game with tighter fielding restrictions than the other parts of the game. In 50-over cricket, it's the first ten overs, and a five-over block of each team's choice. In T20, I believe it's only the first however many overs. It was previously the first 20 overs, and the teams getting to choose when to apply them is a relatively new rule, which is, I believe, where the term originated.)

My point is, yes there's a whole lot of showbiz about it, but nothing anywhere near as drastic as 'first to a hundred' basketball.

Reply #453791 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Isaac, I think the key is getting a broadcaster who promotes it and presents it right to generate an audience. It's not going to compete at the same level as BBL, basketball isnt cricket in this country, but the most important factor is getting a deal that returns revenue to the clubs and promotes the game well to the public.

Venues can be made to look better for TV with a little bit of effort and expense, and if the new deal provides some decent money hopefully a little will be spent on that first up.

Reply #453798 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I cannot see what the problem with Basketball is from an entertainment perspective.

Compared with football (soccer) where you may sit there for 90mins and witness "not much".

But maybe I am such a huge fan of the game, that I can't see the flaws (from an entertainment perspective) that normal non-basketball followers people can.

What does the normal, non-basketball fan think is wrong with basketball from an entertainment point of view is what I would be asking.

Is it:

- Too many longish breaks? - Timeouts, plus Half-time is too long, FT's etc?

- People don't understand the rules?

- Or is it because of the quality of the game(or lack thereof?)

The worrying thing, IMO, is that when you throw in the quarter time and half time breaks, the many timeouts and substitutions, the stoppages in play and the ft's (especially if it is a foul feast), you can have an extremely long, slow and (boring) game.

Football is boring IMO, but maybe people like it because you have 45 mins of football with limited to no stoppages, followed by a short break and another 45 mins of largely uninterrupted play.

The 3 on 3 FIBA game is great.
Have witnessed that and it is crazy. Unbelievably uniterrupted and flowing, requiring extreme fitness.

The 3 on 3 game would not be a bad initiative to showcase somewhere in Aus. e.g plenty of dunks, open 3s etc.

Reply #453800 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

If the goal is more BBall on tv, then 44 games is fine with also option for Asian champions league tournament. Top four nbl teams vs top 4 from china, Philippines etc, in a 4 week round robin, still nbl affiliated would mean more $ for the nbl if successful.

Reply #453804 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The issue with basketball on TV in Australia is it hasnt been done well since Seven had the rights in the early 90s. You cant just throw full games of a sport that doesnt have a broad following on TV, put little effort into production and expect people to watch.

If the product is done well under this next deal and the ratings are still poor then we'd probably have to consider that it's just not that interesting!

I dont think it will ever be a major sport in Australia, but I think it has much greater potential than has been tapped for the past couple of decades.

Reply #453813 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

My wife absolutely hates Basketball, can not stand it fines it boring, just doesnt understand it, but loves AFL....

which imo is more confusing than trying to tell someone the different between pink and salmon...

i love both sports as equally as each other and the big bash ahs been brilliant in getting bums on seats for cricket...

the NBL is heading in the right direction adn the ideas we have all bought up i am sure have been discussed to some extent at in the ivory towers in sydney...

some probably havent even got past the front door but hey more ideas the better...

what the NBL imo does need to do is question the people who dont go to the game and find out what would make them go to a game...

but how do you get average joe who doesnt like basketball to complete a survey about a sport they can not stand?

i know last season the 36ers did surveys in rundle mall adn at the game and fomr the dramatic change both on and off the court they have obviously taken some of those ideas on board...

will be intersting to see what ideas they do come up with... i am excited!

Reply #453838 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Not sure of the value of the TV timeout, when half the time (maybe a slight exagerration) they don't even play an ad during the broadcast. I'd rather see a slightly longer 1/4 and 3/4 time break.

Reply #453840 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Or replace a portion of the screen with an ad rather than cutting away completely. Late-game time-outs make some NBA games unbearable towards the end.

Reply #453849 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Basketball will never be the top 3-4 sports in Australia but I think it could easily double in appeal and popularity just by the numbers who play the game alone. No reason we couldn't average around 80 thousand views a game rather then the 20-50 we are at right now. I don't care if Basketball is THE sport everyone talks about, I just want to see the league and game healthy..

Reply #453853 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"but how do you get average joe who doesnt like basketball to complete a survey about a sport they can not stand?"

You don't bother. They aren't your target audience.

Reply #453855 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Or maybe a rule change along the lines of "In the last 3 mins of regulation, each team will only be allowed to use a maximum of one timeout, regardless of how many timeouts they have remaining"

Right now, I think teams get 3 timeouts each in the second half. That's a total of 6 timeouts in 20 minutes of basketball. Though they are only supposed to last a minute, it tends to be a min and a half delay all up. Meaning a total of 6 x 90 = 9 minutes worth of TO's for 20 minutes of basketball.

By reducing it to a max of 2 timeouts in the second half and inserting that above rule = teams will take one timeout in the 3rd and if its a close game, one in the last 3 min of regulation.

Reply #453856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is people in this country don't understand the rules. So the sport is behind the eight ball against traditional sports. Many who attended during the 90s when it was a big entertainment option still don't know the rules and only hopped on the bandwagon when it was popular. So they viewed it as entertainment rather than sport. Make of that what you will.

Reply #453877 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Plenty of people that follow AFL don't know the rules but they still attend and support their team. Its even more evident in Perth that many supporters don't know the rules whenever you attend a West Coast match.

I think the problem is they don't understand the finer points of the game. There is little dissection of some of the things that hardcore fans appreciate so the game gets boring for those who think all there is to the game is tall men dunking.

NBA coverage has breakdowns on non-highlight plays that are well executed that lead to easy scores, or on the flipside, they show where plays break down due to poor rotations etc. There is just none of that in NBL coverage.

Fox Sports used to show the same highlight play but from multiple angles. ABC's coverage would mean the top play of the week was a fast break dunk. Its gets boring.

Reply #453886 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

There doesn't seem to be too many deals going around to see NBL games, certainly not in Cairns. Maybe introduce a buy 2 get one free game packages? Everyone likes a bargain, and after 3 games people might be keen for more.

Reply #453903 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Something the new Tigers admin has done well is offer 2-for-1 on some of the more expensive tickets. Good marketing ploy while still getting a decent return.

Reply #453914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see their crowds at HA.

Reply #453917 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

The problem that basketball has it often fouling and free throw shoot take a while and timeouts. I'm fine with watching these events but if you are new to basketball it might be a little boring. I support TV timeouts but only if ads are played through, more revenue etc.

Reply #453986 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The fact that there are two TV timeouts per game that aren't used by any of the broadcasters, and the fact that there are two TV timeouts that are only used by one of the three broadcasters for two of the four or five games a week, is ridiculous.

Calling them after made baskets isn't helping.

Reply #453992 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Of course, if the broadcast presented something interesting in these breaks it could be beneficial, a chance to show highlights from around the league for example, but when it's just "same old" talking it doesnt help.

Reply #454005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point about coverage here in Aus. They don't know how to cut highlights properly which is detrimental to the viewing experience.

Reply #454079 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:28 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754