The Body
Years ago

Competition Proposal

Just wandering what peoples thoughts would be on a new competition away from BASA (independently run)

North 1 & 2 - North, Centrals, Norwood, Woodville, West
South 1 & 2 - South, Southern, Sturt, Eastern, Forestville

U16 Boys and Girls and U18 Boys and Girls.

Best 16 Players from South and North to play in an elite competition. The 16 would be divided into two teams of 8 and play in a four team competition (North 1, North 2, South 1, South 2) . Players are picked weekly on basis of district team performance and this competition performance. Coaches picked yearly.

Games played on a Sunday Night at powerhouse.

Would this style of competition be beneficial for basketball in SA

Thought??????

Topic #3355 | Report this topic

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

Great in theory, but would this elitist type of competition deter the kids not in the top 16/32? Would this be detremental to basketball on the whole, at a junior level.

Perhaps we are not ready for this type of competition, but if we could increase basa player levels by another 25%-50% we may be able to implement such a system.

Weekly selection for this comp seems a bit too much work for the person who must decide on the squad. How are they going to fairly chose without seeing all the players. Perhaps it could be done on a monthly basis.

Would you suggest this for all ages (12's-20's) or just ... 14's 16's and 18's???

Great concept though!!

Reply #38646 | Report this post

The Body  
Years ago

No, this would just be for U16 and U18 as they would be starting to realise the elitus side to basketball with kids being picked in State teams and SASI squads. Thanks for the well thought opinion.

Reply #38647 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

so if its aimed specifically at development, towards SASI and State, could you hold training for these players also. For example start at 6:00 with training from 6-6:45 then then games from 6:45 - 7. It would be difficult to hold a separate training (and perhaps even too much basketball), but if you have training at the same time, you may get more development than just games themselves.

Another concern i would have (and i am not trying to rain on your party, i think this is a great idea for basketball in SA) but if it is going to be run externally from BASA, how is it going to be financed?

Reply #38650 | Report this post

basil faulty  
Years ago

i support any good ideas on development and strengthening the game

why not have some all star junior - north / south games prior to NBL - or wnbl games

Reply #38655 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

I think it's great that people come up with these kinds of ideas. Heaven knows BASA can't think outside their square.

I can't help but wonder, when does basketball become too much for kids? Given that you are talking the elite kids, they are already doing their own Club trainings and games, probably SASI and maybe State.

The parents have to be able to give up their time and expense as well.

Reply #38658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #40458 | Report this post

Coach5  
Years ago

I like the idea initially, in fact tried to get one started like it on a regional basis, becuase the local club level was so poor. However, I think given the level of competition that BASA has already, it is not entirely relevant to hold another competition outside of that, especially when there are sasi and state trainings going on throughout the year and then club committments to games and trainings, also those athletes heading into elitism may already be playing seniors once a week outside of all this other stuff. I don't mind basketball 24/7, but even the best kids need to have balance.

Reply #42974 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:46 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754