Isaac
Years ago

Boti: SEABL may affiliate with NBL over BA

From Boti's latest:

PSST. You didn't hear it here but my (e)mail is there is a far greater chance the SEABL will affiliate with the NBL than hand its reins over to BA.
Bit more on that plus his rankings and previews here.

Topic #33555 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Now that could be an interesting move...

Reply #453822 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think that would make sense. It could link the SEABL's players to the higher level and link the NBL's clubs with those associations' participants.

Reply #453823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball Australia is useless.

Employing Keneally was a huge mistake

Reply #453824 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I agree, dont see the benefit of linking with BA anymore.

Reply #453828 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

To be fair, linking BA with Hannibal, Face and Murdock paid huge dividends back in the day

Reply #453830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA will collapse soon enough , no money from NBL soon no money from SEABL , stuff all from the Fed and states.

Reply #453831 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I piddy da fool who's linked with BA

Reply #453834 | Report this post

SEABLWatcher  
Years ago

SEABL going under BA was always a questionable move & the whole plan should have been scrapped the moment the NBL parted from BA. Closer ties between the NBL & SEABL plus the state leagues has to be a good thing for the future of the sport & a larger national competition. I'm sure there are clubs at this level around the country that could be as viable in the NBL as Townsville or Wollongong currently are.

Reply #453846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA seems to be. disappearing out the back door fast. Just wondering, do we need a large and expensive government body to run the sport. If the same amount of money was channeled into an AFL type body would it be able to become more proactive and grow basketball into a mainstream media sport which can reflect the participation rate and become self funded. As with most things being dependant on go government money is a recipe for failure. Toxic.

Reply #453863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AFL doesn't have:

National Men and Women @ Olympics and World Cups

Under 19 Men and Women
Under 17 Men and Women

Wheelchair National Teams

I.D. National Teams

Nationally based development programs to run.

They have a league to promote and junior development to oversee. That's it.

What the AFL has is a TV Rights deal which sustains it and its clubs, even the ones struggling.

Basketball Australia will always have a role to play.

Reply #453865 | Report this post

I love it when a plan comes together...

Reply #453882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next step is promotion/relegation.

Reply #453896 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

How great would it be if basketball in this country was a mainstream sport and had regular media coverage. This type of news would be massive if it involved any other sport, as was the de-merger of the NBL with BA and the appointment of a new CEO of the NBL.

Unfortunately, NONE of this made any waves in mainstream media despite the interesting report. The only people to know about this stuff are basketball fans, who go searching for this type of news online.

If this was soccer (for example) this would be thrown in our faces and there would be so much discussion over it.

So much has been happening to basketball in the last few months, yet nothing has been said about it, unless you google it, or go to a forum such as this one...

Thank goodness for people like Boti and Michael Di Fabrizio for keeping the game in the news - online anyway.

Reply #453904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL was blacklisted nearly fifteen years ago by the media mafia.

Reply #453916 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

NBL is soo not illuminati..

Reply #453931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please school, go back early!

Reply #454009 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If the NBL teams committed to farming out there Development players & Benchies to these SEABL teams it could have benefits both ways not only on court but brand recognition off it and grow juniors interest in the NBL again from a grass roots.

Also it could help lift the talent level in SEABL & NBL as you would think sharing the costs of development players/benchies plus NBL teams possibly keeping closer tabs and being more involved in the offseason of these young players might make for a stronger league....i.e NBL coach & SEABL coaching working together to help a player improve certain aspects of his gameā€¦(i.e jumper, handles, post game etc) in game situations as in the NBL this player won't get that opportunity on court to improve those skills.

I could be dreaming but think it could work really well and make the SEABL a true reserves/development league to the NBL whilst still maintaining a high level of play with imports/ex NBL players etc.

Reply #454015 | Report this post

State watcher  
Years ago

I'm always a bit skeptical when these plans suggest benefits for all.
From the SEABL clubs' perspectives, there may be access to NBL coaches and players, but I'm not sure whether the local clubs also have 'access' to the costs of running NBL sides. NBL teams haven't been that successful financially along the East coast of Australia.

Reply #454053 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Always thought this was the way to go, nothing should be that hard...

Perhaps leave B.A. to do all the other stuff and have a small controlling commission at NBL level with representatives from both NBL and SEABL to manage that level of competition while B.A. concentrate on the rest.

Only concern is, where will the cash be chanelled through? Who and how will the money be controlled? Not as simple as the AFL or other codes, but we do have soccer as another world game to perhaps get some clues from....?

Reply #454061 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754