Alabama Slamma
Years ago

OneHD Production Team

Please Please Please OneHD try and hire professionals that actually understand Basketball. Just now cutting to an ad break, they had a 25 second clip of highlights consisting of...............Turnovers!

Now Respect for going to Uni, landing an awesome job producing professional sport and making great money, but how in the hell can you think that highlighting all the shit plays of the half would be beneficial.

Unless the commentators specifically talk about sloppy play.

Study the NBA and how it is produced!!!!
I watch old Jordan games from the late 80's and its 10x more professional.

Topic #33568 | Report this topic

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I agree with you Alabama Slamma, the tv production is quite often questionable. However I got the impression they delibrately showed those plays to highlight that the game was a slog, which it was. I dont think it was effective enough though and made it look like an error riddled sloppy game rather than an intense game.

Either that or they were trying to be funny.

Reply #454140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I liked how Wortho hit the game winning three, and before showing a reply of it they decide to cut to an ad break.

Reply #454142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, agree also. They need to be listening to this feedback and making some changes! We get very little air time so we need to make better use if it!!!

Reply #454169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't believe my eyes when they misspelled Anstey as 'Chris Ainsty' during his half-time interview.

Reply #454188 | Report this post

wildgoose  
Years ago

I just can not watch while NBL is shown in such low definition.
On a large tv it is just so pixelated.

Reply #454353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks-Tigers game this afternoon had an advert for NBL.TV on the LED signage with an error. No one puts any effort in this league as evidenced by all the sloppy mistakes.

Reply #454354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Today when interviewing Joey Wright they had a graphic underneath with the name Shannon Ponton, I think he's that dropkick from The Biggest Loser.

Not good.

Reply #454356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe nbl.tv should advertise on 10 could not make things worse

Reply #454360 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I agree the showed highlights of players getting to the rim but cutting to the next 'highlight' before they showed the shot going in or even being released.

I'm sorry but there is definitely someone taking the piss.

I love my cricket but could you imagine if it happened like that or on 7s tennis coverage... I'm sure there are still people out there that flick through channels and spotted NBL and stopped for a moment and had a laugh at how this league is 'professional'.

I'm not shitting on the league, it's administrators, the players, referees or the fans but I think something needs to happen before ten/one turn our game into something no company wants to invest money in

Reply #454377 | Report this post

+ -  
Years ago

I think it's time someone with the skills to produce and the PASSION for the game apply for the job.

Lennon Cooper please STEP UP! I know you're at Foxtel, but you are exactly what the NBL needs.

Even the Laungerie Football League is produced way better than the NBL.
AFL
Cricket
Soccer
Netball
Rugby
Tennis
Are way more professional on TV it's not even close.

Reply #454400 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Today when interviewing Joey Wright they had a graphic underneath with the name Shannon Ponton, I think he's that dropkick from The Biggest Loser.
Ponton had been on the outfield catch podium at the Big Bash game previous so it might've been a copy and paste that wasn't noticed. Not to mention that Joey Wright hardly looked excited to be interviewed!

Even the Laungerie Football League is produced way better than the NBL.
Funny you should mention the Legends (lingerie) league - I made the exact same comment to my wife. Decent prodution, good picture quality, pro uniforms and support cast. It's put together surprisingly well and the athletes play harder than you'd expect from what was likely a gimmick when it started in the US.

Reply #454413 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Ponton had been on the outfield catch podium at the Big Bash game previous so it might've been a copy and paste that wasn't noticed."
He was also interviewed at the last Kings game, which is the more likely source of the issue.

Reply #454416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a shame they got rid of those generic rotating CGI sneakers where player mugshots were supposed to be in the pregame lineup screen. They were a nice touch.

Reply #454418 | Report this post

Frankly the truth  
Years ago

It's really bad also that they also showed a graphic that said the last time they met was round 4 when it was actually just a few weeks ago.

Simple mistakes that make the production appear so bad.

Reply #454420 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

When did they do that? I remember seeing both, although it was during a commercial on NBL.TV, rather than the broadcast.

Reply #454421 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Commentary on the Hawks-Tigers game was reasonable I thought. And Carfino was a bit more enthusiastic for Kings-Sixers (loves Kings and Joey, so that probably helped).

Reply #454443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The main commentator was great for Hawks-Tigers. He was genuinely following the league and even referenced what had happened the day before in the WNBL in regards to flopping and technical fouls.

He was curious to find out why Tiggs wasn't played towards the end and also what had happened to Farrakhan yet meathead Pilon goes down for the post game interviews and asks one basic question to Greer that a 5yr old would come up with and that was it. God I hate meathead ex players in the media.

Reply #454444 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Im a massive critic of Carfino, and I've made my feelings known on here before. But, credit must be paid when its needed and I also thought that Carfino was a lot more lively with the Syd-Adl game.

Being a pretty entertaining game and Carfino's obvious love for the Kings and Sixers probably helped. So I thought that was one of his better games.

Reply #454454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Troy Pilon is atrocious. Adds nothing to the coverage. I don't necessarily agree with Isaac about Tom King - doesn't do anything for me as a play by play guy and needs to do a lot more research. I mean he was asking Pilon whether he had played with Adam Ballinger before!! Errrr remember a certain Grand Final in 2005??? I get sick and tired of listening to these guys who know next to nothing about the league and the game.

Overall, the NBL.TV commentators are pretty dreadful, although Andrew Johnstone knows his stuff and Cameron Luke has been pretty good when he's done the job. But they definitely need to look at bringing some fresh faces in next season.

Oh, and it's been done to death, but Steve Carfino is NOT a play by play commentator. Stick him in as the expert commentator and he would do much better.

Reply #454471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, that should have read "I don't necessarily agree with anon". Sorry Isaac.

Reply #454472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Perform really bothered with screening commentators, they had x amount of spots to fill and did so with whoever. I recall when NBL Radio was active many seasons ago the standard was much higher.

Reply #454557 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754