Anonymous
Years ago

Whats with the fouls???

I'm not a feminist...no where near in fact so don't get me wrong...and this is not a whinge...but something occurred to me on saturday night at the ABA sabres / eagles games: how come the guys are allowed to foul out on 6 when the girls only get 5?

Given the quality of game between the sturt and forrestville female teams - it is obvious that "roughness" in play is just as paramount in the girls side as it is in the mens - in fact I don't even think the men's game matched up to how physical the girls game was!

So to whoever made that rule, I think you may need to come out and watch some of the girls games - because if your under the impression that the guys need that extra foul given the high physical standard of their game and that the women only need 5 i think you will be in for a surprise !

Topic #3360 | Report this topic

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

The men play an extra 2 mins/quarter.

Reply #38670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't you just love it when somebody who is totally ignorant post sonthing like this.

An extra 8 minutes equates to 1 extra foul for each player. Dooohhh!

Reply #38681 | Report this post

Kafman  
Years ago

hah. totally ignorant? Mott the Hoople posts a simple statement on the issue and you have a winge. oh, something is spelt with an m and an e in it as well.

8 minutes is a long time in basketball. Perhaps girls should play the same time as the mens games and allowed 6 fouls.

Reply #38698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes anon you get a foul and time out for every 8 minutes of the game. That's why in the mens game they are allowed 6 fouls and 6 time outs with 12 minute quarters. I believe this is how FIBA works out the fouls and time outs per game. I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Reply #38699 | Report this post

supporter  
Years ago

#38699 you are correct with the foul count but the time outs do not vary. 2 in the first half and 3 in the second for both 10 min and 12 min quarters.

Reply #38703 | Report this post

Potty mouth  
Years ago

I would love 6 fouls in a game, that way I can get a tech mouthing off and it wont matter as much.

Reply #38745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon - dont naturally assume it has anything to do with gender. If you look at all grades 12's through seniors, everyone only gets 5 fouls, whether they play 8 minute quarters, 10 minutes quarters, 20 minute halves etc. The only games were six fouls are allowed are under full championship conditions. 12 minute, fully timed quarters, hence the extra time-outs and foul.

Anyway, sheilas couldn't handle games that long...
(for the ignorant anon poster, that last sentence was a joke.)

Reply #38750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when women played 12 min qtrs they too were allowed 6 fouls

when men played 2 x 20 min halves they were allowed only 5 fouls.

Reply #38759 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:26 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754