natwhereyouat
Years ago

Hawks Crocs game not on TV

As per media release yesterday the Crocs V Hawks game won't be shown on ONE tonight due to weather conditions. Instead a replay of Breakers V Kings game on Thursday afternoon will be shown.

There was cyclone warnings over the week, however it came and went a few hundred KM away in the early hours of this morning and now is all sun shine, yet ONE & NBL TV still won't televise the game.

My first thoughts was that TEN took any chance they could to not televise what will likely be a low rated game.

Thoughts?

Topic #33608 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

There was no weather-related reason why they couldn't broadcast it.

Two of the three small market NBL clubs in one game, so they made up an excuse to can it.

Reply #455002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I always thought that the TV crew drove to the games to broadcast them. Weather and cyclone would be a damm good reason not to drive there.

Reply #455003 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

May be the tigers v cats game wont be on due to not having enough car bays for the channel 10 crew? Or its 40deg cant drive got no air con in the car! F n pathetic!

Reply #455005 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Drive from Townsville to Melbourne (Sundays game)? That's 28-30 hours if you drive non-stop.

I was under the impression there was local broadcast vans they lease.

Reply #455010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getty Images pulled out as well.

Reply #455011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought that too Nat. I certainly didn't suggest they were going to drive from Twnv to Melb. There are some serious fracktards about. Maybe they travel from Brissie?

Reply #455012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carfino flies in from Sydney.

Reply #455015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes that's where he lives.

Reply #455016 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they used it as an excuse too.

Reply #455019 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Only a handful of tickets sold during the week and when I say a handful, I mean like 10-15 according to a Crocs player.

In the end they had 3,100 but makes you think the possibility of a storm mixed with perhaps the worst pre-sold ticket figures in the history of professional sports (give or take 3-4 tickets) made TEN pull out because they didn't want an embarrassing turnout on TV.

If all channels can send do live broadcasts from the town where the storm actually hit, then they could go an hour or 2 up the road to broadcast the game.

Reply #455033 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

can send staff to do live broadcasts****

At the end of the day tonights game will only be memorable as a obscure NBL trivia question.

Reply #455034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a difference between news crews reporting on a storm and people going into the area for other work. They wanted to make the call early and that's fair enough.

Reply #455035 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah but it was going to be a mild cat 2 at maximum with minimum winds and damage expected. Fell short of even that conservative prediction. If you can put the game on you can broadcast it.

Reply #455040 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not to mention the game was never in doubt of being played.

Reply #455041 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Seven news (as they do every game) filmed the whole thing start to finish, so it would be nice if NBL TV maybe uploaded that footage? Rights may be an issue though.

Reply #455042 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Ratings and effort. The only reason 10 have to not to bother with this game. The cyclone was just an excuse. If the NBL rated well they would have put a local production crew in place and used fill in commentators at the very least. Not that flying to Townsville was an issue anyway.

Either way, i enjoyed watching a far superior broadcast from Sky Sports, even though the game was played the day before. Sky just shows up Ones effort every time.

Reply #455044 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yep ten were making excuses because they didn't want their cameras damaged but yet they film floods and fires and cyclones but us NBL fans must have short memories or something.

I can't do anything about ten not showing it but fuck you Perform, I paid good money and I expect basketball, no excuses, even if it is putting up with Trevor Roberts.

Someone mentioned channel 7 filming every game live there, does this mean that Townsville would look favorably upon a league wide tv deal with the 7 network?

Reply #455049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naywhereyouat. The Razorbacks had less than 1000 people at one of their games in the season they exited so 3100 is still a very good crowd in comparison.

Reply #455055 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

At least we were spared the clueless ramblings of the horror townsville commentary team I guess...

Reply #455058 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I've no problem with them canning the broadcast of TSV v Hawks but they should have showed the replay of Perth vs Cairns OT game instead of the NZ vs Syd blowout.

Reply #455068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didn't shown the Perth Cairns game because it was NBL Tv and their quality isn't good enough

Reply #455080 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Pretty sure they still have the rights to the Breakers home games, but not to any of the NBL.TV games.

Reply #455081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All NBL.TV games are shown on Sky Sport NZ so there is no problem with airing on TV but rights were probably an issue or more realistically Ten couldn't be bothered and took the easiest approach.

Pathetic by Ten, Perform and also the NBL for not taking a stand. Shame on you all.

Reply #455092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no problem with quality for TV*

Reply #455093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pay peanuts get monkeys.

Reply #455174 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:51 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754