Gareth
Years ago

Score Bench and officals Junior and Senior

Hi everyone just an idea.

Some times it can become frustrating in regards to having volunteers to man the score bench for junior and senior games.

Especially when your involved in the senior grades where parents aren't as involved as they were in junior basketball programs.

If BASSA were to set up for each club, paid officials to attend games to run the score becnch for that day or night session.

If not BASSA then the individual basketball clubs.

Firstly that would take the pressure of parents.

Girl friends boy friends or just feinds of senior players would come to games more, that are a bit apprehensive because of been asked to sit on the score bench.

Team managers and coaches would not have to worry about finding someone to do it.

Coaches would not worry about been penalised for not having score bench people.

More spectaors would come, they don't have to worry about, is it my turn. And they can relax and watch all games.

The more people that come the more revenue for clubs and BASSA.

How? Every player has to pay player game fees to play.

Lets say every team has an average of 8 players, they pay approx $8.

If you were to ad $1.50 to that fee. That's $12 from each team.

As a spectator if you were to ad only 50ยข. Average two people per player. That's $8 a team Total $20 per game.

If there are 5 games on a Friday night on 1 court. Most clubs run 2 courts and some 3.

1 court 5 games $100.
There are games run over 6 days a week between juniors and seniors.

Dare I say one could become a profesional bench offical not just for ABA games but all.

And would that not create a qualified pool of trained officals for all State, and National and International bodies to access and train for the higher level of professional games.

Basketball in general would benefit from implementing score bench officals for all disrict games senior and junior.

As a parent or spectaor it would not worry me having to an extra $2
to have scorebech people officiating the games.

I've been all three, parent coach and team manger and it is a bit of a pain and hassel at times.

What do you think?

Regards
penn4

Topic #3362 | Report this topic

Libertine  
Years ago

Raise prices even more? Crazy?

Reply #38687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is a body of trained and accredited score table officials it they are called STOP (score table offical personnel)

they undertake exams and training and give hours and hours of their time to clubs and to BASA

they are not paid by their clubs to do ABA games and if they chair the games as a neutral person the most they get for both men and womens games is the princely sum of $33.00 and that is if they have the top accrediation

many give unlimited hours to junior championships to score taking holidays from paid employment.

most if not all of these people started by scoring for their childrens teams. there is a level of competency that is expected at state, NBL and international level not all whilst very compentent achieve that level.

Logisically trying to find people would be prepared to give up friday nights or saturday morning in the numbers you require for not alot of money etc, the rostering etc would be prohibitive and a nightmare to undertake.

whilst I applaud your idea i personally don't think it is feasible many clubs can't even get enough people to undertake scoring for div ii div i or aba

Reply #38694 | Report this post

Kafman  
Years ago

Sports teams around the country are backed by volunteers who have a passion for their club. I think that families and friends should be encouraged to participate more in volunteering.

Senior players and u/20, u/18 players could be encouraged by clubs to score junior games.

One more thing: when something goes wrong on the bench or a scorer stuffs up players should be more understanding. Often players have little tolerance for inexperienced scorers.

Reply #38696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about just if you are scoring you shouldn't have to paid. Friday Night or Saturday Morning you paid to watch you child then if it is your turn to score you paid to be abused by some coaches etc.Start the Clock - Stop the Clock. or are you sure that is the right Foul count. No wonder people wont scored or say they can't. How about you sign a sheet saying you are scoring like they do for the Senior Divs 2 -5

Reply #38700 | Report this post

penn4  
Years ago

Thanks anonymous.

I see your point.

If one Asscociation, governing body that it would be a big undertaking and maybe to larger an undertaking. But there are 11 member clubs and asscociated clubs that could help.

Mybe at the indiviual club level would be better implimented. I don't know.

If everyone thinks it's to bigger an undertaking then so be it.

It just might have been a better alternative than pleading at times for people to sit on the scorebench.

And as you have said it's hard enough getting people at the div ii div i or aba.

If this could be done it may have solved that situation.

We'll just keep goping the way we are.

Regards
penn4

Reply #38701 | Report this post

penn4  
Years ago

Hi anonoymous

I like the idea to implement that in the junior games the scorer signs a sign in sheet as per they do in the seniors div 2 to div 5.

As you said "How about you sign a sheet saying you are scoring like they do for the Senior Divs 2 -5" by anonoymous.

That would have to be organised by the team manager prior as to who on that day is scoring?

Then that opens, should junior team managers pay? and should junior assistant coaches?

Thanks
regards
penn4

Reply #38709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penn 4
scorers do get in for free at div 2 to div 5 level problem is a junior level you can have the unscrupulous people who can sign in to score for a team and then disappear into the crowd and when the legit scorer comes along they have to pay. or you get mum of player a) thinking she is to score etc.

re the first concept of supplying scorers you would need minimum of two people per score table. minimum of a scorer and a timekeeper. you need them to be trained to be able to know the rules that apply and by laws that apply to the competion they are involved in.

in theory you would need two people for each court for say 5 games a night / and or sat morning: multiply that across marion, starplex, wayville, dome, pasadena, hillcrest, port adelaide and morphett vale you have 19 courts if i have counted right. if you had the same two people do each game on one court you would at an absolute minimum require 38 people for a friday night then 38 for saturday morning. that is not allowing those poor two people to have a chance to eat grab a drink or go to the toilet. Because as you have finished with the scoresheets from one game the next game is due to begin.

if you alternated teams one game on one game off you would still be looking at 76 people all trained all prepared to give up time. as refs at that level aren't paid much more than $12 a game you can't see scorers getting near that much if you are saying put the prices up and pay people to score. so pay someone $5 a game it still isn't an attractive prospect week in week out.

parents can do scoretables themselves. we have for years survived with parents scoring. what is needed is team work. forget the them against us issue, don't sit and scorer and chat to your best friend and miss who scored. the time keeper can call out the person who scored and if communication between scorer and timekeeper is high problems can often be circumvented.

ie if the scorer is saying the score as they write it down, the person putting the score on the scoreboard can check they have the right score. if they disagree then the problem can be rectified then because the problem must be in the last foul, the last two points or where ever the discrepancy has occured.

IMO having 3 or 4 people on the score table when there is only the need for two, especially if they are only there for support is distracting.

Most clubs have highly qualified scoretable officials members of STOP who can help their clubs train parents. There are also very capable parents who can help their own club people learn to score.

IMO the retention and pay rises for referees at junior level is a much more pressing concern.

Reply #38758 | Report this post

penn4  
Years ago

Thanks anonymous

If you don't ask the question one does not know.

You have some very good points and especially in relation the "IMO the retention and pay rises for referees at junior level is a much more pressing concern".

I don't know what the pay rate for refs are for juniors. Dare I say it should be looked at the commencement of each year to implenment pay rate rises in realtion to cost of living so to speak. (CPI)? And maybe at what level is paid from under 10 to undre 20-21,s? If that is possible.

Thanks
regards penn4

Reply #38812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penn4

referee pay rates have been a topic of discussion on here plenty of times

they need more money, they need more training, they need more empathy

all which has been discussed on here
before

but as you said regarding the scoring if you don't pose the question you don't get an answer

Reply #38821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also Penn4

BASA run Level One score table courses which are open to everyone.

the clubs are informed and parents can attend. Level one gives the basics of timing - scoresheet - timeouts etc.

It is very informative and helpful.

Clubs themselves if they have the numbers can organise to have BASA/STOP run a Level one Course for their own people.

Reply #38822 | Report this post

36erz1111  
Years ago

raise money you gotta be joking asif i'd rather just score cause you can watch the game like that and you are also contributing into your daughters or sons team which is a great way 2 get involved and support u child
from 36erz1111

Reply #38866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'And would that not create a qualified pool of trained officals for all State, and National and International bodies to access and train for the higher level of professional games.'

already happening

STOP people do the chairing for all ABA games
they also provide the group of people responsible for WNBL & NBL score tables.

score table people from south australia have already been involved at international tournaments OZ94 world championships of women, OZ97 world championships of men 22 and under, gold cup 98 wheelchair world champsionships, olympic and paralympic games and the goodwill games in 2001. they have also been asked to nominate people for the commonwealth games.

more than 80% of these people started scoring for their kids. and sadly they don't get paid what they are worth majority of it is still volunteer level or money for petrol. even at WNBL/NBL level the dancing girls are given more money

Reply #38874 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:25 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754