Melbourne Boy
Years ago

Big V - Practice Match Results

Lots of teams had their first hit out this weekend, any results to report from around the traps?

Topic #33627 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Bulleen Youth were beating Sth Pen D1 men by 16 at 3 quarter time.

Reply #456300 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

What was the end score Happy Days?

Reply #456314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Altona Div1 Men defeated Whittlesea Scm 85-82

Reply #456383 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

ringwood vyc beat coburg Yl2 by 50ish

Reply #456385 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Dont know they stopped posting them at 3q time.

Reply #456391 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Sorry, thought you might have attended the game given your love for Southern Pen

Reply #456407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysborough Y2M beat Corio Bay Y2M
But about 25.

Reply #456413 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Didnt know it was on....Must of been top secret!!!

Reply #456421 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

So because Happy Days didn't know, it must of been top secret! HOLY SHIT!! HAPPY DAYS DIDNT KNOW SOMETHING!! What is the world coming to. NOOOOOO

Reply #456430 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

I use to like you Happy Days, but you have changed.....Your lack of knowledge is a turnoff.

Reply #456431 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Any games on next weekend that we know of?

Reply #456432 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Sorry to disappoint....i have a few other slightly more important things to do with my time than watch a D1 team get beaten by a youth team.

Reply #456435 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Ouch! But true....

Reply #456437 | Report this post

Klondike  
Years ago

Knox YL beat Sherbrooke YL in OT.

On a total side note, Eric Williams will not be back at Corio Bay. They have signed 2 imports. A point guard and a small forward.

Reply #456439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysborough Youth 2 Beat Westernport Youth 1 89-42

Reply #456467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so when Boguts main man is tested for the first time he looses to a youth team. Oh dear !

Reply #456471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow did Luke suit up on the court for the game on the weekend?

Reply #456472 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Only a practice match, wouldn't be to concerned. All about getting some match fitness.Get the import in and see how they go.

Reply #456473 | Report this post

Smeta  
Years ago

Practice matches are just that--Practice... While you ideally want to win every game you play it`s about finding out what your secondary guys can provide during the year.

Most coaches will know what there 1-6 guys are going to give them.

Add to that Preseason is filled with similar results every year with youth sides doing this. Different style of game.

Reply #456474 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

hahahahaha annon, your comments regarding Luke just go to prove you have no idea what so ever about basketball.

Reply #456491 | Report this post

Klondike  
Years ago

Did Southern Penn have their full team? If it's their first game I would not be
to worried. Takes time for guys to jell a little but in saying that the season
is only 6ish weeks away

Reply #456492 | Report this post

Smeta  
Years ago

Ashke that comment was made by me, forgot to sign in. Comment was made tongue in cheek, not sure how Luke himself was tested without taking the floor. First game in charge of a new group with new systems in place. Im sure they will do fine. With out Davey and import for the game were they not.

Or should we just start a whole new Bash Sunderland and bogut academy thread?

Reply #456503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eric Williams was never going to be re-signed at Corio. Stingrays signed their 2 imports in November last year.

Reply #456504 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Corio Bay should make an announcement shortly on there new imports?

Reply #456506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why should they, because 'happy days' says so?

they can do what they like

Reply #456522 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Promote your club, brand awareness, sponsorships, memberships....

Reply #456528 | Report this post

Sting What?  
Years ago

This will please Happy Days. Corio Bay announce one of their imports, The Rock!

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-7333-0-0-0&sID=143617&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=28095433

Reply #456541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

headlam couldnt catch a ball in seabl not going to make a difference in champ men

Reply #456549 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

New import for Corio Bay:
http://iballuni.wordpress.com/2014/01/23/duane-johnson-signs-first-pro-contract-to-play-in-australia/

Reply #456552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Osborne playing for a Melbourne team, not Corio bay

Reply #456581 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance but never heard of him:

The Stingrays clearly value their big-man stocks and to ensure they develop the club signed legendary former Australian Boomer centre and CBBA Life Member Russell Riches as assistant coach in 2014

When did he play for the Boomers?

Reply #456598 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

He played in Lindsay Gazes era

Reply #456600 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Cheers MB. Bit before my time and probably yours.

Reply #456601 | Report this post

Klondike  
Years ago

Why would Osborne play for a Melbourne
Club and not Corio?

Reply #456603 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Because Osborne likes to be a big fish in a small pond.

Reply #456613 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Camberwell Men team named on the BigV website. You'd think Graeme Anstey would do pretty well at Div1 level even though coming out of retirement.

I don't really know any of the other guys. Can't imagine they'd make finals with that roster.

Still Sunbury, Chelsea and Mildura who seem like the favourites with Blackburn as the smokey

Reply #456714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong , Chelsea, La Trobe will be massive Favs this season no one should get close to them , Sunbury smokey. Mildura have not recruited anyone so they will be down the bottom somewhere, the Venom will underachieve again and again.Just looking at the Dragons I think they will be pretty good and Altona beat Whittlesea on the weekend pretty easy.

Reply #456748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sunbury D1 Men lost to Keilor Youth League 1 men

Reply #456750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations Stefan if you are reading this, you're now a big fish and Bulleen you are a small pond.

Another post from a nobody.

Reply #456754 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Wow, that isn't a good result for Sunbury! Lucky practice matches don't mean much. I did leave out Geelong as a favourite, Goodgame and Loader will be massive for them

Reply #456762 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wouldn't be reading too much into the Sunbury vs Keilor game. The Sunbury Men did a tough 1 hr Personal Training group session before the game in 40 degree heat, were missing 2 starters through injury, 12 players rotated evenly and the game was played 4x10min qtrs no clock stopping so effectively half a normal game. But in saying that full credit to the Keilor boys, they were very good.

Reply #456767 | Report this post

Klondike  
Years ago

Is there any games this weekend?

Reply #456775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen State Youth Taking on Keysborough Youth 2 I`ve heard.

Reply #456778 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

wow, interesting how not many teams are playing practice games Vs teams from their own division. Whats the pro's to this? I would imagine its just simply to "mix things up" for the team?

Reply #456780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think A lot of times it comes down to who is avilable, If someone pulls out then you try and get something last minute you take what you can get.

Or can simply come down to who has relationships with who.

Can be good to mix up divisions. If I were a Div1 or Div2 side looking to work on transition and increase the tempo I would wanna play a state youth champ side as they will play that style.

Other side of that is youth league coaches wanting to get the younger guys a taste of playing against bigger bodies.

Reply #456783 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

You play teams from other divisions so you don't have to hide anything like new players, offensive sets, defensive systems, etc.

Reply #456785 | Report this post

Klondike  
Years ago

That will be a tough game for the Keysborough
YL team. But they will learn something.

Them and Coburg would be front runners.

The idea of most teams playing teams
Which are not in their league is great.

Great viewing

Reply #456786 | Report this post

twist  
Years ago

VYCM - ringwood vs sherbrooke on sunday

Reply #456787 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy, really? Like the 1st 3 minutes of a game wont expose that anyway..... But each to their own i guess.

Reply #456788 | Report this post

funnythin  
Years ago

Anon #45661 - that's just a dumb statement. You have no idea why Stefan has moved and maybe you'd understand if you knew anything about NCAA requirements for eligibility.

Reply #456789 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think its more of a case as to who is available. Ringwood playing SEABL Geelong and Frankston this weekend.

Reply #456790 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Ashke, the saying goes "If you fail to plan you're planning to fail"

How can you possibly determine a players strengths and weaknesses that quickly? If the game program says a guys 6'8, hey better but a big guy on him! what if he's a 3pt shooter and has already nailed some before you know it. Also how do you determine your match ups and where in the offense the main players are getting their points? How will you play a guy on an on-ball screen? Who will you sag and help off? the list goes on.

From a team perspective why give anyone a free scout on what you're doing? Most times teams play Practice matches within their own division they just play basic man to man and don't use many sets, against another division you are free to practice whatever.

I guess you're right though, each to their own.

Reply #456791 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The 7 Ps is a British Army adage for Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Reply #456793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it Goodgame or Hutchinson playing Geelong D1 or both?

Reply #456795 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

Goodgame playing for Geelong
Hutchison playing for Corio Bay

Reply #456802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong need to perform this year, much pressure on Jamie and coaching staff from the board is the word at the supercats. They were very unhappy with how Loader was sent packing in the way he was and not happy with getting to finals and failing to win a game last year. Gaff needs to be in cotton wool because there is nothing behind him that can play the centre position on their list.
Mt. Gambier will have a real shot at it this year with that group they have put together again.
I think Hutchison is playing for geelong with goodgame. Goodsgame will be a focus of the referees after his last year with them and the way he behaved.

Reply #456813 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Mt Gambier playing BigV? I thought that was only Brisbane and Knox.

Reply #456815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO -

Mt Gambier play seabl league not big v

Reply #456817 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Quoting Urban Dictionary....

Sarcasm

A tongue of which the user speaks of something the complete opposite of what the user means. It often has the best comedic value.

Reply #456819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have proved how much you don't know in 5 of your 6 points. Interestingly they were all about Geelong. How are things at Corio Bay?

Reply #456835 | Report this post

Cherry picker  
Years ago

Bulleen men played Nunawading Seabl team and lost by 8 last night

Reply #456836 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Fair enough Melbourne Boy, just think its a bit over the top really but each to their own i guess.

Reply #456837 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Seems like too much worrying about others than worrying about yourself. Wouldn't you want to play teams within your competition so you know what your up against as much as getting through your stuff? What's the point of being able to execute offense perfectly against a lesser team? As for worrying about people knowing what your running, well they are going to get a good understanding sooner or later AND if your systems are good enough it shouldn't matter what others know about it

Reply #456850 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Who says you play lesser teams? you play teams in divisions above as well.
And no matter how good your systems are on both ends of the floor they'll work better if your opponent hasn't seen them.
And knowing what you're up against is all about scouting, so the coaches who are prepared to do the extra work see the rewards, yes they'll eventualy know if you play them a second time, but alot of teams you play only once per season in certain divisions as well.

Reply #456854 | Report this post

funnythin  
Years ago

Sometimes you play whose available, like the Bulleen YM v Keysborough. Both has other things worked out, they fell through and now playing each other cause they're both free and had planned to do something that night..
Sometimes you want to see where your place, what your group does against other defensive systems and, finally, you can only play internally for so long.

Anyway, after week one can't everyone get copies of the game tapes? Makes hiding things irrelevant.

Reply #456855 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

So if your playing a team I'm a division above, there is then a team playing a lesser team right?

Id say good coaching is having systems that allow you to still win even if the other team know what your running.

The AFL don't run pre season tournaments against VFL do they? They run it against teams they are actually going to compete against in the normal season. The NBL run pre season practice matches with NBL v NBL not NBL v SEABL Because when it comes down to it, they need to practice against teams they will play against.

Reply #456856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing against other divisions is smart, every advantage you can get by oppo players not being familiar with your players and sets is worthwhile.

Reply #456861 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Maybe you're on to something Chook, you should call Greg Popovich because he has arguably the best systems over the last decade, tell him he should sack his 15 or so employees in the opposition scouting department because their systems just do the job, thats coaching!

Plus there's a fairly big gap between AFL and VFL, and NBL and SEABL to play against each other, alot more than within Big V divisions.

And yes Big V isn't remotely close to the NBA as in my first example here, but it's all relative, state leagues still have players who shoot well from the corner, guys who can't shoot outside 10 feet and guys who couldn't defend a perimiter player to save themselves, I guess if you coached a team you'd just wing it hey?

Reply #456862 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Do you have Pops number? I'd love to give him a call and discuss all of this. That would be sensational.

Gaps or not, there is still a plausible reason to play practice matches against the opposition you will face in the season.

I wouldn't wing it but I would definitely want to know where my team is at by playing practice matches against other teams within my division if possible. (As a few have mentioned, sometimes it doesn't work that easily)

I reckon a good scout could tell you before a game without even seeing a team play who is going to shoot the 3s and who won't shoot outside the paint, as for the defensive side of things, why wouldn't you test every player out on every night?

Reply #456864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sick of all this talk about preparing at the end of the day it doesn't matter because the refs decide who wins and who losses

Reply #456874 | Report this post

Smeta  
Years ago

A lot comes down to who is available at that time. We have the game planned against Bulleen this Saturday, yes by league status we are ranked two leagues below them. For my guys it`s a fantastic opportunity and I am greatfull that Mike has given my boys the opportunity to compete against a side in a higher division.

Its a great test for our boys to be tested against higher competition. Should we come away with a victory I will not jump up and down and expect to be elevated to State youth cham, the BIG V is a long season where many factors inlfluence ladder positions and eventual champions, at the end of the day these are practice matches. A chance to run things and try out new concepts without the worry of the reslut at the end effected your chances of making finals.

The past three games against Youth 1 or sides in our divison have resulted in 20, 30 and 40 point wins meaning we got nothing out of it except for giving new guys a run.

There are some coaches that are protective of what they run heading into the season and if that is the way they choose to go about things then so be it, it`s there team not yours!

Reply #456884 | Report this post

michael  
Years ago

There is merit to not playing teams in your own Conference. But only at the elite level. I think form and development is the difference from the first 3 months of the season to the last three months. So In Div-1 down I don't think it makes much difference. just get games in whenever you can because it helps you find form sooner which equates to more wins early. If you are worried about the scouting aspect then don't run your entire arsenal at them. Teams rarely stay the same from beginning to end. A div 1 team probably wont look the same as the Spurs even if they are running the same offense. Players make systems..systems don't make players.

Reply #456887 | Report this post

Smeta  
Years ago

Well Said!!

Reply #456892 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

You make some good points michael, but i have to disagree with it making no difference below elite.

I guess if i happened to coach a Div 1 team with mostly new players and new systems, i'd rather have practice matches against SCM and Div 2 teams so that at least for the start of the season my opponents won't have seen anything, surely you'd agree there is some advantage to doing that?

Reply #456896 | Report this post

Klondike  
Years ago

Seriously it should not matter. Everybody who knows anything about basketball/NBL knows what the Melbourne Tigers run and yet struggle to stop it. If you run your stuff well it wont matter

Reply #456920 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

And imagine if a team played the Tigers back then and didn't know what they were going to run, Gaze and co. would have picked them to pieces.

Reply #456924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chelsea D1 men defeated Keysborough D2 men 74-70 this evening.

Reply #456977 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

There's always the higher risk of injury when the two sides are not of the same standard. But games are games and any you can play are good.

Reply #456982 | Report this post

Klondike  
Years ago

Were Keysborough and Chelsea
Both at Full strength ?

Reply #456992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. Chelsea missing four guys from roster and filled with YL kids. They did have their import (Standerfer), as did Keysie (Benn) and both scored plenty.

Reply #456997 | Report this post

Klondike  
Years ago

And Keysborough had all their players?

Good hit out for both teams is suggest

Reply #457005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysie D2 men gona struggle this year.

Reply #457009 | Report this post

Tate  
Years ago

A division team should never lose games to a youth side.
#concerning

Reply #457014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

**Tate if you think that a top state youth champ side is not going to take it to and most cases beat a Divisional side then your delusional.

Reply #457017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chelsea youth are playin youth 2 not youth champ

Reply #457022 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Decent Youth Champ teams would beat Div 2 teams, and only the top couple of Youth Champ teams would be competitive in Div 1, the bottom half of Youth Champ would struggle to win a game against both.

Reply #457024 | Report this post

twist  
Years ago

youth champ teams would beat any d2 team and the best youth teams would beat most d1 teams and even some scm teams.

Reply #457027 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

twist the bottom 6 Youth Champ teams last year were young and terrible, Div 2 teams would smash them.
The majority of good Youth Champ teams would struggle with size, experience and imports vs the higher divisions.

The top 4 Youth champ sides would win Div 2, make finals in Div 1 and come last in SCM.

Reply #457028 | Report this post

twist  
Years ago

yeah you're probably right ^. I don't think theyd come last in scm though maybe 3rd or 2nd last, they could beat melb and sherbrooke.

Reply #457030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysborough are D2 and Played Chelsea D1 not their youth 2. May have had some youth players in the side at Chelsea but youd assume most senior teams would have some youth guys in there squad.

Reply #457032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chelsea only had 3 or 4 non YL

Reply #457041 | Report this post

Klondike  
Years ago

Speaking to one of the Sherbrooke players from their SCM team he is not at all confident that they will be able to get a win against Pakenham D2M this weekend.

Im tipping a close one.

Is there any other being played this weekend??

Reply #457042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysie D2M v Sunbury D1M on sunday

Reply #457048 | Report this post

Klondike  
Years ago

I see the McKinnon SCM playing Southern Penn D1M and the Vic Metro u18 boys

Reply #457054 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Sth Pen playing Frankston youth 2pm Sunday week (23rd)

Reply #457056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pakenham will smash sherbrooke this weekend. Sherbrooke won't win a single game this season. Interesting to see mckinon have taken it a step further about playing teams in different divisions. Not only are they playing div 1 southern pen but also an under 18 side.

Reply #457057 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Happy Days is back!!!!!!

Reply #457062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mckinnon and Keysborough play a 3 games series between Youth, Mens and Womens on the 1st of March

Reply #457064 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Im always there...depends how busy i am with work.

Reply #457070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chelsea youth 2 men tied Oakleigh D2 men 85-85

Keysborough youth 2 men loss to Bulleen state youth champ men 73-71

Reply #457555 | Report this post

Klondike  
Years ago

Bit of a shock to see Pakenham go down 70-49 I think it was in the end!

Was not expecting that at all. That's a great result for Keysborough
might have to get down to the Cougar Cup and have a glimpse.

Reply #457564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Altona div 1 men beat keilor div 2 men

Reply #457686 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I heard Sunbury beat Keysborough by 40 today.

Reply #457688 | Report this post

Mac daddy  
Years ago

Sounds like Keysie D2m are real bad this year.Saw Sunbury lose to Keilor and they hardly looked astonishing.

Reply #457826 | Report this post

Klondike  
Years ago

Looking at some of the results Ringwood SCM will be very very good.

How did Melton D1M and Weribbee SCM go?

Reply #457841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arn`t Keysborough and Sunbury playing in two weeks at Sunbury?

Reply #457843 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

A few people are a little off in their information. Which tends to be the norm around here.

Sunbury did not beat Keysy by 40. They played their own YL after Keysy pulled out due to player availability. I wouldn't have a clue if game is being rescheduled or not.

Reply #457847 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

After the Pakenham result on the weekend lets hope the local Pakenham rag gets off their tip. I'm sick of reading about how all their players are guns and going to take over the world and Coach Rogers has them all motivated etc.

Fact, Rogers can't coach and the if the Pakenham players were any good they would be in higher divisions.

Reply #457849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pre-season results should be taken with a grain of salt!

Reply #457856 | Report this post

jetset  
Years ago

Men in Geelong on the weekend:
Frankston SEABL defeated Geelong SEABL by 10+
Geelong SEABL lost to Ballarat SEABL by 4
Ringwood SCM defeated Frankston SEABL by 10+
Geelong SEABL defeated Ringwood SCM by 6
Great event ran by Geelong - well done.

Reply #457860 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Jetset, did all SEABL teams have imports? Ringwood could surprise a few SCM. Nice import combo.

Reply #457861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jetset, Geelong defeated Ballarat, went 2-1 for weekend

And yes, a sensational event.

Reply #457862 | Report this post

jetset  
Years ago

Why would Ringwood 'suprise' anyone this season?
They would have to be favourites after Bullen no?
Lose Sam Belt, bring in Latham and a new 2nd import to go with the runner up team from 2013?

Reply #457866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong had all suited up apart from Herbet who was unavailable for the weekends games

Reply #457870 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I wasnt suprised about Ringwood but some our learned colleagues on here were happy to write them off. I think they are a top 2 team.Second import has slotted right in.

Reply #457873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank god Ringwood use every cent of their juniors fees to pay for 4 imports.

Reply #457881 | Report this post

jetset  
Years ago

Whilst the imports that Ringwood have will be effective, they are an example of what poor junior development we provide here.
Both are small combo guards who can shoot it really well, they shouldn't need to be imports, we should be producing those kind of players at a dime a dozen.

Imports should be have skill packages and size well beyond these kinds of players but because we fail to develop them they are imported. These are basic D2/3 college guards and there are thousands of them in the US coming out each year. Each team used to have a couple of back up guards off the bench like these guys.

Reply #458032 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more Jetset, though I don't think Ringwood is alone in this case.

Reply #458043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The FUSO pre-season tournament in Geelong was a huge success!

In the men's it was very close

Geelong 2-1
Frankston 2-1
Ringwood 2-1
Ballarat 0-3

All teams missing players and all teams will get better before the season starts but some good hoops was played. Ballarat were the most undermanned by a long way but their list on paper looks like it should be better than last year once together.

Ringwood will be top 4 in SCM for sure, they should be a strong chance for top 2. No shocks with import guards, solid players, hard workers, team players. The aussie talent has mostly played together for a long time and know each other very well. Latham is a key addition.

Reply #458044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Budgie cant coach bigs. He was a shooter himself so that's all he thinks about. As for their womens team just look at the YLW and count the home grown juniors there. Ringwood is a classic case of how to screw your juniors and should really be ashamed of their record in the VJBL. All the imports run clinics which they charge for as well so its not like they are giving any real value back. They are in the middle of the richest recruiting ground for juniors in the entire country yet they cant attract a single decent player or a decent coach. Parents there are just being conned.

Reply #458052 | Report this post

Klondike  
Years ago

Having no direct relation to anyone or anything at Ringwood Basketball it is pretty poor for a club their size with their success at BIGV level to be so poor in VJBL. No teams really every compete in VC even their 1st teams. Just a little strange

Reply #458059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the entire management of the club is controlled by two people who just happen to be the big V coaches. Of course that's where the resources are funneled.
Take them both out of that environment and neither of them would get a job anywhere.

Reply #458060 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Ringwood are a perfect case that if you're prepared to spend a little money on players you can build a strong roster, if it's in their budget it's perfectly ok. Usually it depends on how much money they make from other things at the stadium outside of Ringwood VJBL.

Reply #458065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The make very little outside the junior revenue. The bulk of the money from the domestic sides goes to council as they are the owners/operators of the stadium. Perhaps if they spent more on their junior program they wouldn't need such a high Big V budget just for imports. Plenty of other clubs compete well but still provide a good pathway for their juniors into seniors.

Reply #458078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would decent jnr talent go play at Ringwood when they're effectively land locked by 4 SEABL programs less than 20 mins in any direction?
Ringwood (and Blackburn) are where all the players who cant make the cut at Nuna, Knox, Dandenong or Kilsyth end up.

Reply #458087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but if they worked hard on building up the junior coaching ranks and did more for developing the players they have got they would /should gradually improve and therefore stop relying on everyone else s rejects simply for revenue. You cant build when you constantly accept the model of 2 u12 boys teams in met 3 or 4 and 6 u18's with the 1's in pool CC and the rest grasping to keep out of regional.

Reply #458105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry the topic has been hijacked a bit.

Reply #458106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#458105 But you need a reason for players to go there, unless you have the best coaches and best snr pathways the better players will logically go elsewhere. Ringwood will always be a small or "gap filler" club that provides a good place for average std players to play in the lower divs, trying to compete with the Nunas and Dandenongs is pointless..

Reply #458110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#458110 Partly true for sure, but if they put more energy and resource into their u12 recruiting and 14 kids they would eventually develop the talent needed to create VC teams. It requires a culture change which the selfish morons running the club are not prepared to do. So while they sit back and have more rejects kids coming in at top age 16 and 18's to bolster their piggy bank they will NEVER produce home grown talent for their Big V teams and will always rely on imports to be competitive.

Reply #458252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly some hate for Ringwood going on here

Reply #458278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Pakenham following the Ringwood model? Spend VJBL fees to buy players who can play.

Reply #458323 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I gather when you say recruiting under 12's and 14's you mean internally rather than from other associations??? I think the problem is everybody wants a quick fix and there isn't one.Invest in your juniors now and you'll reap the rewards in the next 5 to 10 years no different to football clubs.

Reply #458332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U12 dont come from other assoc they come from getting out into the schools and domestic clubs, something Ringwood do very poorly and very little of. Plus there are plenty of u14 kids not playing rep anywhere who could be in the south so it is again a recruiting policy and process. I know other clubs have dev clinics for u12 which attract over 80 kids, I think Ringwood would be lucky to get 8 to theirs but when you look at who runs it then its no wonder.

Reply #458343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone with a big axe to grind.
Wonder who that could be?
Did someone say OWEN?

Reply #458373 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:24 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754