Bandit's Fan
Years ago

Knox CEO position

Anyone heard any news on the Knox CEO position?

Have applications closed yet?

Anyone know if there was much interest?

You'd assume it would pay pretty well so I'd be guessing there would be a fair bit of interest. Tough gig though.

Topic #33628 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

CEO of a multi million dollar business with alot of weekend and outside business hours work....you might think it would pay very well...but you might be surprised at the wages of on offer

Reply #455594 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I know they've been head hunting but without much joy. Have to be $120k plus....

Reply #455597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reads well but in reality it's effectively a General Manager position of a couple of million dollar small business with not much say or control.

Reply #455598 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

For that sort of position you'd be asking $150K plus package...including vehicle, phone etc with KPI's for bonuses etc

Reply #455599 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

So how much are they offering?

Reply #455601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

your all DREAMING if you think its over $100K. They dont have that sort of coin now.

Reply #455605 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I was sent this PD asking if interested. I laughed and politely declined. Worst job in Basketball. I'd rather be Callum Chambers whipping boy.

Reply #455610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#610, How ironic given the previous role of the former CEO!!! LOL

Reply #455658 | Report this post

knox boy  
Years ago

rumours abound. don't know what or whom to believe. The job ad reads like a $100+ job but they will pay peanuts and get a monkey.

Reply #455686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was a house for sale ad it would read, Stately old home requiring some TLC. Renovators delight. Suit restoration enthusiast.

Reply #455721 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Can't believe they expect to get a decent candidate for anything less than $150K package.

People with the right experience and business acumen are going to require that sort of package to be interested in the position.

Reply #455727 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

You could add "Mortgages Auction"

Reply #455728 | Report this post

knox boy  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher - you are so spot on. But this board has such a narrow focus on cost cutting and price increases - all short term no vision strategies.
The old saying to make a dollar you must invest a dollar rings true.
Knox needs a visionary person with exactly the skill sets outlined in the job advertisement.
The board must learn from their mistake in recruiting the last CEO - a good person but not up to what the club needs.
Hopefully the board engages some good recruitment people to help them in the selection process.

Reply #455744 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Totally agree Knox Boy.Even if they spent $130K plus you'd be surprised by the callibre of the persons available as went through the process mid last year.

Reply #455752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Can't believe they expect to get a decent candidate for anything less than $150K package."

Trouble at Fort Knox, the gold has disappeared!

Reply #455757 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Knox Boy. When organisations are in crisis, and it appears Knox is / has been in a major crisis, then longer term vision necessarily goes out the window. Its about survival and recovery. Your ability to make decisions for the longer term is limited by your current circumstance.

That is normal in organisations. I wonder whether they need a fulltime CEO or perhaps someone solely devoted to Business Development at the moment.

Reply #455758 | Report this post

knox boy  
Years ago

HO - you make some good points. CEO or BDO - either way they need to get out of the short term cutting costs and increase prices - members will not tolerate that stance for much longer.

Business Development - now that to me sounds like investing some $'ss to make $'ss.

Reply #455824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In any well run business the Board would not be so active and involved in day to day activities like it is at Knox. In fact most boards at BB clubs are way to involved as they are made up of self centered mums and dads with hidden agendas as is the case at Knox.
You will never get a real CEO when they don't have the free rein to do whats needed. Its the same at Big V which is where the last one came from and left for much the same reasons she left Knox, to much interference from board members and little control to effect change.

Reply #455850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#455850 you are exactly spot on, I couldn't agree more.

It's not remotely a "CEO" role in the true sense of the word, its a General Manager role at best, and i don't know too many good GM credentialed people who would tolerate the level of interference Boards seem to have in operational activities at most associations.

You're effectively a puppet for the board and only there to facilitate the direction and directives of the board.

Basketball clubs are predominantly run by Boards with most people on that board for their own interest.

Reply #455852 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

#455850 & #455852,

At this point in time, given Knox's position, close operational involvement of the Board is both required and desirable in my view.

Once the organisation is back on its feet, then the Board should pull back and focus on non-operational stuff.

Reply #455854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO i agree, so they don't need to go to the expense to employ a CEO at this time do they, they just need a entry level GM or Business Manager to carry out the Boards directives.

Then, at some point in the future when things have improved and they can afford it they can let go of the reins a bit and put a more senior person into the role and give them the autonomy to do the job without being micro managed.

Reply #455855 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

You dont build a business, you build people and then people build the business.

Reply #455858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't employ a CEO to do a GM's role at Business Managers salary either.

Reply #455861 | Report this post

pandora  
Years ago

Board interference is always going to happen at Knox for the simple reason that all the sub committee chairs sit on the board with only the chairman,secretary and treasurer being supposedly independent.The CEO will always need to be in communication with these chairs from a day to day operational point of view.
No matter what people think I really felt sorry for the recently departed CEO as I believe she was what they needed for the simple reasons that she knew how the association operated.That in itself considering the position it is in to me was a real bonus.What I cannot work out is Knox has only changed in 2 areas being the new centre and it financial situation the rest of the place is just what it is and always has been a basketball competition. The board interference she received was not from the chairs but the top as 2 of them are control freaks and didn't allow her the autotomy she needed to move the place forward.I agee it is not a CEO or even a low level GM, to me they need a good BDO plus a financial controller.These to be put in place till it is back to health then reassess.No matter what the baord decides it is going to be a tough job.I just hope it works no matter which they board goes.

Reply #455864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, the board is the reason the place is in such as mess. Little people with little minds and BIG ego's.
BV should have stepped in long ago and appointed administrators. At least then people with NO VESTED INTEREST would look at the BUSINESS not whether their kids are playing in the ones !!!!!!

Reply #455873 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

All of that evokes a maybe/maybe not response.

Decisions made during negotiations for management of the new venue clearly affected the organisations viability. I am not sure anyone can say that is the responsibility of the current board. Those decisions occurred 3-5 years ago by my quick reckoning.

Whether the current board is competent I cannot judge. But whether they are or are not, they need to be involved almost day to day at the moment if the situation remains as serious we understand it to be.

Reply #455875 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The problem they also have is alot of potential candidates have been scared off by the negative publicity that it has received. You dont apply for a position like that without doing your due diligence.

Reply #455879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are head hunting for this role... what kind of people are you going after?

Business heads? CEOs/GM in other sports? Another basketball clubs CEO/GM?

Reply #455883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt there a former Knox employee now working in the seabl?

Reply #455967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who in their right mind would leave the relative security and higher level of professionalism in the mainstream corporate world to take on this kind of role is such an unstable sport and environment?
Basketball Management roles are filled by Basketball people for a reason.

Reply #455968 | Report this post

imagine  
Years ago

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

Reply #455973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine if someone from Knox got a job in the seabl as one of 2 without even advertisng the job.

Too Dream the Impossible Dream, to dream and get a a job without even advertising. To Dream the Impossible Dream and get it.

Reply #455988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the ex KNox person at SEABL is the media guy. His father by the way was the chair of the board when they screwed every thing up so there is good genes there. I am told Knox couldn't wait to get rid of him.
He left Knox some time ago , last year I am told so not sure how long it was before he was given the SEABL job.

Reply #456013 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Did the SEABL role get advertised as saw nothing on there website. Normal protocol is to go to market to find the best candidate.

Reply #456020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not advertised. SEABL again just making their own decisions without any member input at all.
Surely the process should be advertise, shortlist, interview, appoint.

Reply #456023 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Thats the way it normally works but this is basketball we are talking about....

Reply #456029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy Days when was the last time you looked for a job ? well over 50% of jobs are NEVER advertised so your idea that it must be or its protocol is rubbish.

Reply #456038 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I work on contracts so about every 6 months.If you dont go out to market it leaves you open to scrutiny. Doesnt always happen i agree especially when your headhunting for senior roles.

Reply #456042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great in the real world undoubtedly, but also in the real world the SEABL answers to its Board members, not the other way around.
There was no consultation with the board members about the vacancy not the instant appointment of Ed's replacement.

Reply #456102 | Report this post

nofatchicks  
Years ago

You people make me sick. Get a life or I will unleash the beast. Maybe it's time to start naming names

Reply #456154 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

No fatchicks - I dare you. Put up or shut up.

Reply #456166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stump up fat cow!!!

Reply #456167 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

I see another lame Knox CEO thread. No one cares

Reply #456174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're committees not boards.

Small time committees full of self. Interested parents running a personal agenda.

The Knox problems are symptomatic of a structure where domestic clubs have massive influence or even control over associations.

As a result there are very few administrators running rep associations of any quality.

Reply #456187 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Commonsense,

You need to change your name, because common sense says 30+ posts and multiple posters suggests some people do care.

Reply #456190 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Why are they committees rather than Boards?

Reply #456191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because they are set up as associations not businesses

Reply #456193 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ok. So you don't know the difference. thanks.

Reply #456194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its symantics both are committees of management, however association call their managing committee a Committee, companies tend to call their committee of management a Board

Reply #456197 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Its not semantics and by any definition that is completely wrong.

NFP's (association or even companies with a ltd Guarantee structure for NFP purposes) can have a Board.

The safer definition is that a Board of Management controls the overall affairs of an organisation having been elected by its stakeholders to do so. A committee generally has a specific or set purpose, often limited in role. A committee is often called an advisory committee, or a standing committee or a sub-committee for exactly that purpose. That is not perfect but much safer than saying a board only applies to a business - that is just incorrect.

On topic, an organisation the size of Knox, with their budget, with contracts and agreements in place, and with executive and non-executive staff, would most certainly be expected to have a Board, and perhaps a series of sub-committees. But the main body, given its authority, is, and should be, a Board. That despite Knox being a NFP.

Reply #456198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK HO you had best contact Knox and let them know of your dismay and your availability to consult on structure particularly what they call their committees. I would have thought they had a little more on their mind at the moment. Like making some money. But I could be wrong and no doubt according to you I will most likey be wrong. I will keep working on my understanding of corporate governance!

Reply #456199 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

How does me calling you out equate to me calling Knox to account? Knox have a Board.

Reply #456218 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Nofatchicks - cat got your tongue? big mouth or just another DH?

Reply #456224 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

I refuse to change my name but thanks anyway.

Reply #456229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you think the turnover of Knox or other associations is? They are only really SMBs.

Reply #456231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most 7/11 service stations would turn over more money that Knox would, its not a big business by any stretch.

Reply #456235 | Report this post

Dom  
Years ago

Anon #456013

You are a flog! Absolutely slanderous what you have posted about two guys from Knox who have done everything right by the club since day dot. Grow a pair and put your name to ridiculous statements like that. Weak.

The new media manager at SEABL was head-hunted by SEABL - that much I do know. He is bloody good at what he does too, and the depth to which he takes his preparation. Will be a good appointment for SEABL.

Reply #456498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dom, which must be why he left Knox and waited so long to show up at SEABL. Headhunted my ass !!!!

Reply #456510 | Report this post

pandora  
Years ago

partly well said Dom.He or to use his correct name Dale left Knox for the same reasons as others he could not hack the the lack of no guidance no direction or no support particularly when there was no CEO.The reason he waited so long as you put it to show up at SEABL was there was still someone in the job you dill.

Reply #456517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The office party at Knox came to an end when the board and CEO changed.

Reply #456526 | Report this post

pandora  
Years ago

now that is confirmation annymous you are a dill.who kept the place running when the non contributing CEO was still their?

Reply #456531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So again why was the new guy at SEABL direct selected?
There aren't many in that office and some are coming under increasing pressure to be more inclusive.

Reply #456539 | Report this post

knox boy  
Years ago

What and why has Dale got to do with the Knox CEO position?
The kid is a good person and played a role at Knox with little support. He left knox for personal reasons. The fact that SEABL picked him up speaks volumes for his talent and work ethic.

Get a life some of you morons!!

Reply #456543 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Raelene gone - what hapened to staying until end of Feb or until such time a replacement was found? Big fall out with the board I hear?
Acting CEO in place - just happens to be best mates with Chairman Noordzy and by coincidence a candidate for the job(according to leaks from board members.
Here we go again - Knox Board came in on the principle of openness and transparency!!!!!
Raelene got the job with going to market. This time they have gone to market, for appearance reasons maybe, yet it nepotism and jobs for mates.
Fail, Fail and Fail again.
Don't criticise the old Board - the new board is full of amateurs.

Reply #456682 | Report this post

Win Win Win from what I hear!! Who cares whos mate the new guy is. Word has it that its worth a trip to SBC just for a look. About time there was something decent looking sitting in that seat!

Reply #456845 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

can't wait to meet you - URADH!!

Reply #456946 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:41 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754