Anonymous
Years ago

NBL expansion to Canberra?

CANBERRA has joined the growing buzz regarding NBL expansion in 2015-16, with the capital-based Hall of Fame trio Cal Bruton, Herb McEachin and Danny Morseu likely to front the drive.

While details understandably are sketchy at this point, the Cannons program in Canberra in the league's early glory days was a pacesetter and one of the most successful in NBL history, to this day.

The Grand Final in the league’s inaugural 1979 season and three championships (1983-84-88 and another Grand Final in 89) before dropping out in 2003, the Cannons were innovators and extremely popular in the city of public servants.

Getting clubs viable again in traditional centres such as Canberra, Brisbane, Tasmania, Melbourne, Newcastle, Gold Coast, Vic Country, not to mention the options across the Tasman, is a most exciting prospect.

Again, I would reiterate ensuring the existing eight clubs are all viable and sustainable is of equal importance, if not more, in terms of establishing credibility in a mainstream world dubious about our sport’s long-term stability.

But back to Canberra and any bid with names such as Bruton, McEachin and Morseu attached to it already has credibility.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/rankings-18--and-quite-the-bonanza/

Topic #33646 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

Could work I suppose... Lets see what they come up with. I am also hearing strong word the Magic intend to make a comeback

Reply #455925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who isn't making a comeback lol

Reply #455926 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Would love to see a Canberra team back in the comp. Essentially half way between Sydney and Melbourne as well as a long par 5 from the 'Gong.

Garnishing sponsors could be difficult if they focused just on the ACT level, but a national brand would be a good fit.

As with anything, really need to do the business plan well.

Reply #455928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would think with all the tax money flowing into Canberra sponsorship can be arranged. Capitals receive the most in the WNBL due to generous territory companies.

Reply #455930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't cal bruton going to be involved in the Brisbane bid?

Is this more evidence that the Bullets are not coming back in the foreseeable future? Surely if the interest was there it would have been achieved by now...

Reply #455933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cal Sr. latches onto anything in the hope he will be involved in the league once again as a coach/GM.

Reply #455935 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Another week, another expansion rumour. I do want to see more teams (8 is lame) so hopefully this does happen

Reply #455936 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

The Wildcats have local government sponsorship with 'alcohol th!nk again' so I find it hard to believe that they couldn't get a government sponsorship.

I think ADFA would be a terrific sponsorship if they retain the Cannons name!

I think this should be an extension of AIS with this team being the perennial rookie of the year winner. I'm not sure what imports would think about playing there but I'm sure those wiser than me would sort that out.

I'm all for a Canberra bid

Reply #455944 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Aside from the Capitals in the WNBL, who would the new Cannons be competing with in Canberra's summer sports marketplace?

Reply #455947 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Canberra Raiders

Reply #455959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Raiders are winter.

Would be the Union team.

Reply #455963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cal will always be around anything basketball related where he can make a buck.

Reply #455966 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Yeah with Cal it is all about making a buck and staying relevant.

Reply #455975 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

AIS involvement and possibly partnering with universities to include a degree to stop the drain to the USA. If they were called the AIS instead of Canberra they Could play a number of 'home' in regional centres over a few seasons to test the viability of other teams going there (Darwin, Albury, Geelong, Newcastle etc).

Reply #455977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cal is involved he will undoubtedly make a buck with someone else's money and probbly get a share of that too.

Reply #455987 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I still agree with you Curtly but it just had me thinking would the NBL ever consider a New Zealand institution/development team aswell?

Where's the love for Cal? He is a great guy and I hadn't heard a bad word about him (until this forum) and he has improved this league time and time again and I wouldn't put it past him to help us in the future too

Reply #455991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No AIS please. Rather a straight up team like the Cannons.

Summer time there is no competition which is a plus.

Winter has Raiders & Brumbies.

Reply #455993 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Didn't Cal say just two weeks ago that he hadn't been approached to head a Tassie, Brisbane or Canberra bid?

Canberra will be a tough one to break again. It's a tough city for any sort of punter support whether it's sport of music.

Personally I'd think this should be the order of priority for expansion:
1. Brisbane (needed for new TV deal)
2. 2nd Melbourne (needed to revive a Melbourne rivalry)
3. 2nd NZ (needed to start a NZ rivalry)
4. Hobart/Tas
5. Newcastle/Canberra

The 2nd NZ team has been ready to go for a while.

Reply #456006 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

I like the Tassie thing,could really build an 'us against them' mentality with their fans,similar to perth.

Canberra is certainly a 'different' city.....which could work in the same way as Tassie and perth.

cal bruton worries me, each time his name is linked in a management/owner role I get nervous.

Reply #456007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just another NBL expansion team pipe dream.

Lots of noise, not much financial viability or thought.

Reply #456009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cal was one of the reasons Tassie failed.

Reply #456016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of talk, very little action

Reply #456017 | Report this post

Savaloid  
Years ago

As a basketball fan living in Canberra would love to see this happen. There is no other sports to follow here in summer. Back in the day when the Cannons were floating around there was also the comets playing cricket and cosmos playing football, so would expect crowds to grow from levels they were at in their last iteration. I know I would definitely check it out.

Reply #456027 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Nat is right. People in Canberra don't go anywhere but work, a quick pint on the way home, and then home.

It's bound to fail.

Brisbane is a must for the TV deal but I think the franchise will flop crowd wise. Brisbane people won't go to the games.

The priorities have to be 2nd NZ, Brisbane, 2nd Melb

Reply #456030 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Im not so sure about Canberra. I'd love to see more teams and have a thriving 12-14 team league, and that could/should include Canberra, but from all reports about the area being a place where people go to work and don't do much else, I have my doubts about it being a success.

One big tick is that they have a nice arena (AIS arena - 5,000 seater), which is ideal for the NBL.

Main problem will be getting sponsors in a city that is a bit too government focussed and not enough corporates in the area.

Brisbane (for TV and sponsorship only, I agree with Mick about their crowd potential) and a 2nd Melbourne team should remain the priorities, however I am warming to the idea of a Tassie side coming in. Splitting games between Launceston's Silverdome Stadium (if its possible) and Hobart's Entertainment Centre will be interesting to see if thats the plan.

Reply #456044 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i understand there is a fairly lively nightlife in Canberra....the idea that everyone is tucked into bed at 9pm because they cant wait to get to work the next day is a bit of a generalisation.

Reply #456047 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Yeah but do they like sport though? A lively nightlife and a strong sporting culture are very different things. I've always thought Canberra people just don't have enough interest in following sport. Its just an observation. The scene might be different now that there are less summer sports to choose from though and there could be an appetite for some more sport now.

Reply #456048 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

They don't like going to stuff.

Talk to any concert or events promoter and they'll tell you it's a damn hard slog getting people along to anything in that town.

Reply #456053 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

In practical terms and in terms of mass psychology how can the city renowned as the most boring in Australia have residents that ALSO don't want to do anything other than hang around at home?

Someone needs to write a thesis on that.

Reply #456101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothings changed in Canberra at all. When the NBL was there they had a great nightlife and they stayed at home AND supported the basketball.
Will it work again my crystal ball isn't that good.

Reply #456103 | Report this post

Antho  
Years ago

Basketball is only sport for the players, for the rest of us its entertainment. I love seeing the Kings play and knock back a few bourbons and I'm sure I'm not alone. Any of the previously mentioned expansion cities could work, they just need a downtown location and a marketing department that pushes the entertainment value of the game.

Reply #461603 | Report this post

Years ago

Who started to spread a rumour there is a team called Adelaide Clippers being formed? Is this NBL? Only overheard this in a conversation yesterday.

Reply #461604 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754