lel
Years ago

how is greg page in the nbl?

there are literally 500+ juniors who are miles better than this guy. Is it because of the club he is from? connections? why are most nbl development players sub 6ft. Pick some players with potential.

Topic #33674 | Report this topic

Peter Steven  
Years ago

Greg page is a Diamond Valley junior and former state captain. You will never meet a harder worker nor a better quality person from a fine family, one who always gives back for the kids whenever needed. He left Diamond valley to play at a higher standard at Knox in the SEABL and went from there.

There are probably better players around but you won't find one with a better work ethic so maybe it was his personal qualities that got him in over others. I wonder why you would come on this forum and anonymously have a crack at a guy who has done nothing but work his tail off? In the absence of information to the contrary could I suggest jealousy?

Might I suggest to anyone who wants to get better that they work a hard as Greg and you will reap the rewards that he had.

Reply #456545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've actually played against Greg, and he isn't anything special. Extremely hard worker yes, but he averaged 4 pts a game in a sub-par Knox team and before that didn't exactly set the world on fire at Youth League level at Diamond Valley.

As i said, a great work ethic, but that doesn't mean your a NBL level player.

Reply #456546 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

so work ethic and great personality = making nbl. okay.

Reply #456547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You will find some people have nothing better to do but have a go at someone who works there arse off to achieve their dreams good luck to you greg I for one hope you don't give up and go for your dream of a long career in basketball

Reply #456548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sometimes the last roster spot isn't about talent.

If that player isn't going to play, going with someone with a positive attitude and great work ethic could be good for the other players.

ie. The high paid player sees the kid on below minimum wage working his ar$e off with a smile on his face every day, the high paid player knows he also needs to keep working and not let the attitude slip.

That situation might work better for the team as a whole rather then grabbing a talented player unhappy with his role and minutes.

Reply #456551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Nice post

Reply #456553 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

what above said

Reply #456554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers held open tryouts for players under 23 in July - http://www.tigers.com.au/article/id/1gr0cwcwb8lhc153xcrnstzp9v

From what I heard only about 7 or 8 players were at the first session and that included Greg Page and Alister MacDonald. Other ex vic-metro/country players were there like Stefan Uzelac, Ben Kelly and Jarrod Fryar as well as some other players from SEABL/Big V clubs. Having open tryouts isn't about connections and looking out for others, they really wanted to see the talent and I actually think they made a mistake by selecting 2 guards given they already had Owen Odigie which has basically meant that Alister MacDonald hasn;t played.

I know from in the past often the development players can't commit to the trainings required as these contracts aren't full time and if you are balancing work, going to uni or those still in high school can't make all the sessions and rules out some guys on the fringe.

Tigers could really only pick who turned up and who can make the commitments. This isn't saying that Greg isn't up to the NBL standard, but there are more things to consider than just talent. And given he goes to the Australian College of Basketball, the Tigers staff know that he will be practicing every other day in between Tigers training sessions and giving himself a great chance to improve.

As for the 500+ better juniors, who would you have chosen instead? And given that, did they even put their hand up to try out?

Reply #456555 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

so work ethic and great personality = making nbl. okay.
Take "great personality" as "good team chemistry". Coaches in the NBL keep players for that more than you might think.

The other thing that favours some players is court smarts. Coaches like players who know what they're doing and follow the plan. NBL history is riddled with one-and-dones who didn't have a couple of these things.

As anon mentioned, ability to make it consistently to trainings is something too. Not everyone can.

Is Page that guy who came on against the Sixers and scored double figures? May have been in the Blitz even or when they were really undermanned.

Reply #456558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^great post isaac... take note kids!!!!

Reply #456559 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Isaac = Mrs Page?

lel

Reply #456561 | Report this post

Peter Steven  
Years ago

PlaymakerMo
Why would you bring Greg's mother into this? Please, that's not on

lel
Perhaps you might be good enough to give us your name so we can check your cred v Greg's or would that be expecting a little much? Let's see your level of courage, I'm betting it's pretty low

Reply #456563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lel your a weak little bitch to try and alienate some young kid who as an avid NBL fan has no idea who he is! Maybe you or your son didnt make the cut. Deal with it, this is not thread worthy, although some of the mature response (not mine) have been solid. Just shut up if your only going to dog players for no reason. Sick of it...

Reply #456565 | Report this post

Titan15  
Years ago

Lel,

Firstly your creditability has been called into question straight away when you say there are 500+ juniors who are miles better than Greg Page.

Secondly you are questioning the coaching staff of the Melbourne Tigers in selecting Greg in the first place. I am sure Chris and DMac have seen enough of Greg to offer him the spot he ahs been given.

Thirdly, the club that he has come from, really. As mentioned above Greg is a DV junior who played all of his junior basketball at DV. Represented and captained Vic Metro, played juniors for Australia. He then went to Knox to continue to improve his basketball so to say he doesn't deserve to be in the NBL, well again I question your creditability.

So Lel, will you have the courage to not just be a keyboard warrior, put up your playing career and then we can debate it.

As for PlaymakerMo, not worth the effort to even justify his comment.

Reply #456566 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

What should I do? Adamantly defend a position which isn't my own? Bring Peter Steven's mother into this? Point out I'm not a role model?

What should I do?

Reply #456567 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

FYI - I was actually talking about a different Mrs Page.

No relation to Greg as far as I know, but I'll get onto that right away.

Boy is your face red, Peter Stevens!

[hint: there's some inflection in the above text, somewhere]

Reply #456568 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

What a pointless post!! I have no knowledge of Greg or his talent but an attack like this can be nothing but personal. Give the kid a break will you!!

Reply #456570 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Speaking of Melbourne players lucky to be in the league.How is Tommy Greer still in the league? The guy doesn't seem to offer anything.His season averages are 0.6ppg, 0.4apg and 2.9rpg. Down from his massive career stats of 3.9ppg, 0.5apg and 3.4rpg.

Reply #456577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ARE you kidding JUSTIN that would mean Warrick giddy should never have played either

Reply #456579 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I though Greg Page was the yellow wiggle

Reply #456580 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Didn't the yellow wiggle die?

Reply #456583 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There should be a box to put people in who don't understand why Tommy Greer has played NBL for so long.

Reply #456585 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The idiot box?

Reply #456586 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Anybody who has ever had the pleasure of working with Greg Page in a basketball capacity already knows the reason why he was selected initially as a development player by the Melbourne Tigers coaching staff. As has been previously said by others in this thread, he is an extremely hard worker who is always looking for feedback and ways to improve his game. On top of his basketball skill (and yes, he IS a skilled basketball player), he is a genuinely good guy with a fantastic attitude to basketball and life in general.

Greg was selected as a development player from open tryouts and earned his spot. Through early injuries at the Tigers he had the chance to prove himself by being promoted to the full roster, and he held his own in the pre-season Blitz. The Tigers could have brought in other injury replacement players, but they chose to give the spot to Greg because he EARNED it through hard work and training.

Once the injured players were back Greg returned to his position as development player.

Anyone who would begrudge Greg this opportunity and do anything other than encourage and support a great young Aussie kid who is pursuing his basketball dream is no real supporter of basketball in this country. Enough with the tall poppy syndrome, let the kid enjoy the beginning of his professional career.

Any other juniors who think they also have what it takes to be in the NBL, I whole heartedly encourage you to contact your nearest NBL club and find out when where and how you can attend try outs for a development spot for next season, and work your ass off to get it, like Greg did.

Reply #456587 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Good on him,done the hard yards and deserves his spot.

Reply #456588 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Putting Greg aside the whole Dev player systems needs to be looked at.

I understand alot of players can't afford the time away from uni or the major pay cut to go ahead and train with an NBL team which really hurts the games development.

It is an issue that many quality performers from the SEABL/SBL/State leagues get overlooked when compared to a Page, Qaafow etc whom are never going to make it and at best will be solid state league performers.

Nothing against those guys cause they are taking every chance they get but surely we’d be better to try and get player whom physically more chance of making the NBL level and competing for a number of years.....i.e Odgie & Dumovic are prospects who at least physically could make it and hopefully the basketball skills side gets to that level as well.

You don’t see to many NBA teams putting battlers with limited or no upside into the NBA D-League….they are normally the project guys or guys on the cusp of regular playing time not 5"11 athletic limited players who aren’t even considered a better player at the lower levels.

Reply #456589 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think that's how the Tigers view Page, I think they see him as a genuine NBL prospect.

There are always plenty of guys at the pub with a "could have" story, but if someone's not willing to make some sacrifices at a young age it suggests they don't have what it takes to make it.

Reply #456591 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

It does bring up an interesting point regarding payment of development players in all sports.James Magner (ex Melbourne AFL) said on radio with a wife and child plus a mortgage he couldn't afford to be rookie listed by an AFL club. He was better off working full time rather than playing on rookie wages.I would suggest that would be the same for a number of fringe basketball players.

Reply #456592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Page is also a Australian College of Basketball student.. Been rumours of the college paying his wages so that it makes incoming students look at the college and seeing a kid come from the college make the nbl, will encourage ballers to join up to the ridiculous price they charge.. Got nothing against Greg because he showed his quality in the pre season comp but all the above are right there certainly are better juniors out there just don't have the commitment as Greg.

Reply #456597 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Some good points made, but back to the original thread.

PlaymakerMo and lel have gone quiet. Working on your inside shot so you look better when compared to Greg?

Something tells me you guys aren't good enough to be his drink bottle, he did what he had to do to make the grade, worked hard and got better. What have you chumps been up to other than slagging people off who never did anything to you?

Reply #456608 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Anon #456597 - Greg was a student at the Australian College of Basketball and graduated in November last year with his Diploma of Sport Development. To suggest that ACB paid his wages on behalf of the Tigers is completely ridiculous and false.

Reply #456610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reasons he is in the league.

1. is willing to sacrifice the time and lack of money.

2. he is of a good basketball ability and has a good attitude

3. A low maintenance guy for the coaching staff to look after.

4. Paid dues at training/practice games.

5. Is not too old.

Right place, right time for page. Anyone of better ability who decided to do the above thing would prob be in the team instead of page. But people doing the above make up a very short list...

Reply #456611 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Whoever started this post is absolutely ignorant about Australian basketball and how the NBL works. Development players actually don't earn any money for playing unless they travel with the team and are in the ten. An nbl club is under no expectation to pay a development player for their time and there is no minimum contract payment imposed on them. so the rule doesn't get abused by nbl clubs you can only have 3 registered with the nbl, you can be a development player up until the age of 24 and once you are contracted and get a points rating your forfeit your eligibility to be a development player. If you step on the court in more than 14 games in an NBL season you are given a points rating and are included the the points and salary cap. this is all in the rules of the NBL if you bothered to get a copy!! As for greg page i believe the kid has a lot to offer. Stop your hating.

Reply #456612 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

How is it that anyone actually believes I was being serious?

Reply #456615 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bethdavis, Anon 611 and Jeff, all absolutely correct.

PlaymakerMo, perhaps you should have taken some advice from your own mother, if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything. Your post was unneccesary and uncalled for. You know nothing about Greg Page's mother, I on the other hand do.

Sorry, it's just not funny, nor were your follow up remarks.

Reply #456650 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Given that your post wasn't exactly 'nice' either by calling me out, feel free to take your own advice.

My comments were neither nice, nor hostile. The joke wasn't even directed at Mrs Page... but obviously you wouldn't have a clue.

The advice from my mother might be: perhaps you need to prioritize your time better if you feel it necessary to police the 'seedy underbelly' of Hoops.

Reply #456656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lel ur just jealous

Reply #456661 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Whatever happened to the days of taking the piss out of Ben Allen? I dont see the big deal about Page anyone stuck behind Goulding, Tomlinson and Farrakhan is going to be a bench warmer anyway

Reply #456667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the above posts about development spots in general is a good debate. Something definitely needs to change if these spots are real development spots but the reality of them at the moment are "training fodder" and the teams/coaches aren't really incentivised in developing players as the league is not stable and a coach is really only trying (a) to win a championship and (b) keep his job not trying to develop the players.

I think the team that does it the best is NZ, but this is also in part that they are also looking at developing players for the Tall Blacks team, so they bring in the development players, don't pay them and then let them go to College (Issac Fotu, Tai Webster, Jack Salt, etc) and guys like Rueben Te Rangi, Corey Webster move into the team. But I can't see any of the Australian teams operating the same system where say for example we think an Owen Odigie or Mirko Djeric might be a boomers player so lets play him some minutes, etc. None of the other 7 clubs are trying to develop the players for the Boomers, but rather who is around who is good enough to train with us.

As for young Aussie talent I think Cairns and Townsville do it the best, but that's mainly because they have low cash reserves to pay players, so they fill their benches (9th & 10th man) with young guys who give a go (Mitch Norton, Mirko Djeric, Shaun Bruce, etc), but generally coaches who have money to go for championships and hardly let those players get on the floor and they rarely develop.

I think there could be real potential about the development player spots, but it's hard for the NBL to influence each club to take bigger risks on real "development" players rather than "very good juniors" who may not develop. An example from the AFL is Majak Daw who has become a massive marketing tool that the AFL and North Melbourne promote as a great story of a Sudanese kid playing AFL. He has been on an AFL list for 4 years and played 6 games yet most people know about him. The other post about next big Sudanese talent is that a lot of clubs wont take a risk on these players as development players as they go for safe training guys, guys who can run an offence, understand defensive rules and don't stuff up training rather than developing a raw talent into being a better player.

I'll end the rant now, but I suppose at the end of the day, "don't hate the player, hate the game."

Reply #456672 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Interesting post, some good points.

I would say though, Norton and Djeric were starters on our junior national teams, I dont think it's a case of giving them a go than signing talented young players who skipped being DPs and signed onto the main roster.

Reply #456675 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

Wow so many people on this page have no idea.

First off, greg isnt that great a basketball player. Played against him many times.

But he came up through the "system", and knowing certain coaches/people within the basketball community especially in Australia where politics in sport are rife, gets you places.

There was open try-outs, anyone could have gone. Hardly anyone did, because who the hell wants to be a dev player these days? It makes you ineligible for college, and you get paid NOTHING. With NO guarantee of a contract the next year. Especially if your player who is only 6 foot without exceptional athleticism or skills.

So the tigers had about 3 or 4 legit guys to choose from. Some were just too old. 23 is "passed it" in terms of being a dev player. Greg was still pretty young so he was chosen, has a decent resume as hes made state teams etc.

There are definitely a LOT of other kids with a lot more potential, but if Greg is just a development player, earning no money, who cares. If he gets a contract next year, which I highly doubt, thats when the Tigers will be taking a wrong step, there are obviously a million other players that could use that money.

But we'll just have to wait and see.

Reply #456676 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If those players with potential want a spot, they could try proving it like many development players already are. If they're in financial difficulty, that's another thing, but many share houses with teammates, etc.

Reply #456679 | Report this post

Fossil  
Years ago

I am pissed off big time. the goose who started this thread needs to be put in a place where he cannot have contact with humans.
I have coached Greg and coached against Greg. If you were going to war and wanted someone to cover your back - Greg's the boy.
Is he a flashy player - no. Nor was Steve Waugh.
Is he gunna get ya 20pts a game - no but he will get you stops and assists. Will he drop his head and dog it if he is having on off night - no way. he will bust his arse back on D and set the example for others to follow.
I would have greg in my team all day, every day. I have coached for over 20 years from SEABL to Juniors. I am not Mrs Page - Lisa would not dignify you idiots with a comment.
Lets start posting threads about Kids who have guts, integrity, intensity, focus, work ethic, fitness, leadership, aggression, nous, smarts, passion, humility, mental strength, etc, etc, etc.
All you coaches out there - THESE TRAITS ARE GREG PAGE!!!.

I hope you don't read this crap Greg - not that it would affect you anyway. Greg Page will play SEABL/NBL for many years just to prove you DH's don't have a clue about player talent.

Reply #456681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@wow - for someone who thinks people here have no idea, you actually are wrong that dev players make you ineligible for college.

It was the case about 4-5 years ago, but that changed when the NCAA passed by-laws allowing for amateur players to play in professional leagues as long as they don't get paid (i.e. same as SEABL players) and I am pretty sure Tai Webster was a development player last year and this year is at Nebraska.

btw - here are the by-laws for NCAA eligibility to get an idea.

12.2.3 Competition.

12.2.3.1 Competition against Professionals. An individual may participate singly or as a member of an amateur team against professional athletes.

12.2.3.2 Competition with Professionals. An individual shall not be eligible for intercollegiate athletics in a sport if the individual ever competed on a professional team (per Bylaw 12.02.4) in that sport. However, an individual may compete on a tennis, golf, two-person sand volleyball or two-person synchronized diving team with persons who are competing for cash or a comparable prize, provided the individual does not receive payment of any kind for such participation. (Revised: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 1/14/97, 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02)

12.2.3.2.1 Professional Player as Team Member. An individual may participate with a professional on a team, provided the professional is not being paid by a professional team or league to play as a member of that team (e.g., summer basketball leagues with teams composed of both professional and amateur athletes).

12.2.3.2.2 Professional Coach or Referee. Participation on a team that includes a professional coach or referee does not cause the team to be classified as a professional team.

12.2.3.2.3 Amateur/Professional Leagues. An individual may participate as a member of an amateur team in a league in which one or more teams are professional.

Reply #456703 | Report this post

Sugar momma  
Years ago

Not sure how true this is but I honestly heard from a reliable source that Greg page is the recarnation of 2 PAC?

Reply #456723 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

Anonymous, thankyou for posting those NCAA by-laws to reinforce my point that playing as a DEV player in the NBL makes you ineligible for college.

Not sure if you were trying to say the opposite, because if you read it its clear as day.

And also considering I've spoken to the assistant coaches at Melbourne and they told me that, Id say Im right.

Reply #456729 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

From only reading what you posted - 12.2.3.2 seems like it makes you in eligible if you play minutes in the NBL. All Pretty vague to me though.

People will agree or disagree with this. If you play progressional sport, your always going to have people with totally opposite opinions on who they think should or should not be playing. That's what happens in professional sport.

People are passionate about sport, love their pro teams, and hate it if their side drafts a dud or someone they don't like. Why should NBL be any different.

He's not a kid. He's 19 trying to begin a professional career. Haters are all apart of that. The greatest players ever have forum topics of people saying they are no good. It won't change unfortunately. So no point crying over it or trying to baby Greg.

Use this stuff as motivation. It's only a young fella's opinion. Ridiculous how defensive people are getting

Reply #456733 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@wow - According to 12.2.3.2.1 if you aren't being payed by the professional team, you're eligible for college.

Jack Salt (a development player for the Breakers) is leaving for college in a few months. Case and point.

Reply #456735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12.2.3.2.1 Professional Player as Team Member. An individual may participate with a professional on a team, provided the professional is not being paid by a professional team or league to play as a member of that team (e.g., summer basketball leagues with teams composed of both professional and amateur athletes).

Says it all.
Professional like SEABL and not getting paid makes you eligible for college. it's has been that way for several years now and with 200+ kids playing in college right now, to suggest it can't happen and many of these kids have played in 'professional' competitions already is simple a fallacy.

Reply #456742 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:21 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754