TR
Years ago

GOOD NEWS... LOCKOUT AVOIDED

It looks like a lockout has been avoided at the 11th hour.

Here are some details:

- 6 year agreement
- 19 yrs age limit on draftees
- stricter drug policy
- shorter player contracts
- Increase in the salary cap
- Total player contracts will be guaranteed.
- Change in rookie contacts, the first 2 years are guaranteed (currently 3), and then team option of years 3 and 4
- Escrow will be reduced.

Whilst no signatures have been inked, it seems that both sides are in agreement over the major issues.

Here are some links for interested people:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=az_o4XOyaDpE&refer=us

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2091116

Topic #3372 | Report this topic

Sponge Bob  
Years ago

that's awesome news as im going to the states in nov and would like to see the knicks at madison square garden! and when i was there in 98/99 there was the lock out so i would of been spewing if it had of happened again!

Reply #38801 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

This excerpt from Bill Suimmons from Page 2 on ESPN.com...he makes some very real 'in your face' style comments on hoops. Check out his comments on the Lockout below...ITS GOLD!:

"Everyone forgets this now, but when they had the last lockout, the reason it ended was because too many players had leveraged themselves financially and were relying on their next paycheck to survive. I know, I know & that sounds impossible in a league where just about everyone has an eight-figure contract. But without pointing any fingers, imagine you owned multiple houses and multiple cars, you sired multiple kids by multiple women, and you were supporting multiple family members and multiple friends from back home & and suddenly you weren't getting a paycheck for six months? Would you be sweating it a little bit? Once the players started panicking, Stern smelled the blood in the water, stuck the shark fin on his back and started circling Hunter & leading to the famous story (possibly apocryphal) of an enraged Charles Oakley slapping an A-list superstar player across the face during one meeting, followed by the abrupt end of the lockout and fans' paying $80-90 a ticket to see overweight stars playing themselves back into shape.

(The NBA & it's FANNNNNNNNN-tastic! I love this game!)

Anyway, there was no way this was happening again. From the last lockout, Stern knew the players would cave once he started threatening a lockout and sitting quietly in his seat with a menacing look on his face every time ABC showed him during the Finals. Too many of the guys in the league were there in 1999. They weren't going down that road again. And Stern knew it. That's why he's the best. And that's why he should be our next president."

Reply #38894 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There was an interesting part of the new CBA that I wasn't aware off. Basically the NBDL will become a proper farm system for the NBA. Teams can now offically send players to this league and recall them when required.

Oh, no more IL either, roster are 15 players, with 12 playing. This means that the 5 game wait if you go on the IL is gone. Could make things interesting.

Reply #38898 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754