Mick
Years ago

granger to philly for turner

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=10491189

Topic #33774 | Report this topic

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

It's a real shame that Granger's career got to this. Only guy in the history of the NBA to develop at such a rate where his ppg increased incrementally by over five points every season for his first four seasons.

Shame he got hurt.

Reply #458765 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also there was no reason for him not to continue to develop well past his prime because he never relied on athleticism.

George turned into an amazing player...which could have been expected, but no one expected Lance to become the stud he is today. That was the end for Danny, unfortunately.

I thought some of Paul George and Roy HIbbert's comments while Granger was out were a bit stinging...i'll have to find the specific quotes but when asked if Granger would make them better on return they said something along the lines of "we are already good. we don't need danny. if he comes back, fine, but we don't need him to be good."

I knew he was gone after that.

Reply #458769 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Yeah, dig them up if you can. When delivered the wrong way, that kinda shit is harsh.

The Pacers need more shooting though. In Granger, they've just lost their second best perimeter shooter who gets real minutes.

Yeah Turner will get to the lane, but who's he kicking it to for the open three? Doubt Copeland or Rasual Butler warrant major minutes.

Reply #458778 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Bottom line is who knows how this will turn out? There are only two ways a trade can go -- good and bad -- and people get it wrong just as much as they get it right.

Rudy Gay has gone from a chucker to one of the most efficient wing players in the game. After their roster takes a hit, Toronto starts kiling it.

Reply #458782 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You'd think that Granger was only going to get better too. I would have thought he would just start to hit his straps come playoff time.

Now you have to rely on a younger guy to give you production in big games...and one who isn't as good on the defensive end.

I love me some Pacers ball but there are cracks on the offensive end that have really started to show over the past month. Hopefully Turner somehow patches them up, but I don't see it. He has a similar skillset to Lance, except he's not as good as him from deep and doesn't play as much D.

Reply #458816 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

But it saves them money, I guess...

Reply #458817 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Or maybe Larry thought they really lacked someone who can probe the defense other than Lance in the second unit, moreso than outside shooting? It also gives them another dude who can handle the ball.

Reply #458819 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

I really like the addition for Turner for the Pacers. With his size & ball handling he can potentially create some big mismatches for the Pacers. If the Pacers can find a way to integrate Turner with Stephenson & George they'll create massive headaches for every team including the Heat.

Reply #458820 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I really hope the Pacers don't knock off Miami. We just need Durant vs Lebron Part Deux.

OKC are my favourites for the title. Their defense is more or less on par with Indiana, and their offense is more or less on par with Miami.

Reply #458835 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

PG will have his time in the sun, just not this year please.

Reply #458836 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

In a 7 game series Scott Brooks could very well get exposed against the heat. He has shown improvement during this regular season though, but he is now the weak link for this team. Not a terrible coach by any stretch, but he's not great.

Reply #458880 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

You're basing that on the fact that his team had an off night and lost to a team they beat in the prior game

If you want to go down that road, let's look at how they've 'figured out' teams like Portland, Clippers, Warriors, Grizzlies.

They've lost to all of these teams this season and have won all of their most recent encounters.

Reply #458889 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'm talking about game to game adjustments in a playoff series and being above stubbornness, not the regular season. I think he will be a lot better this postseason and be more willing to cater lineups and rotations towards the strengths and weaknesses of his opponents. He showed that in the last Miami game a few weeks back when he benched Perkins for the last 3/4 of the game...something he never would have done a year ago, and OKC got the W.

Reply #458890 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Fair enough he's made mistakes in the past, but what has he done wrong since the start of last season?

Reply #458900 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Since the start of last season...just bad lineups and substitution patterns, as well as a lack of movement on offense in general. An over-reliance on the decaying corpses of Kendrick Perkins and Derrick Fisher. An over-reliance on his starters. Just stubbornness in general.

SInce the start of this season? Little to nothing wrong. He's taken that next step I think. Like I said he has grown as a coach this year by a noticeable margin. He's taking more risks and they're paying off. It also helps that the youngsters have come along but there is still a fluidity to his game plan that wasn't there last year. Can't wait to see how he goes come playoff time to see if he can really carry that improvement on into a 7 game series where game-to-game adjustments are very, very important and stubbornness is a bigger detriment. In the meantime you have to go with the field, coaching wise though.

A big test will be how he re-inserts Russ into his rotations without stepping on Reggie Jackson's toes.

Reply #459007 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:42 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754