Necro
Years ago

Spurs deal De Colo, more room for Patty?

SA trade Nando De Colo to Toronto for Austin Daye.... Hopefully this means more minutes for Mr. Mills.. Thoughts?

Topic #33777 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

They have been playing Patty at the 1 lately instead of as an undersized 2, so not really any overlap there.

Crunch time lately for the Spurs (with Parker out) has been Mills on offense (Patty obviously much better than Joseph on that end), then subbing him out for Joseph at every stoppage before a defensive possession (Mills obviously much worse than Joseph at that end).

So to secure more minutes he has to prove to be a better defender than Cory Joseph.

Reply #458825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trade was made on the fact that Mills and Joseph getting job done. Good trade for Spurs as Daye is young and you'd expect Pop to turn him into a great team member.

Reply #458858 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Austin Daye is actually a serious player, crazy long. I expect him to come in and make a big impact. De Colo was never really going anywhere, but Daye may.

Reply #458861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, you think Daye is going to make a big impact? He's averaging 1 point, 0.9 rebounds and 0.3 assists this season.

Reply #458863 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Anon, you're totally right. I forgot to look at his season averages. I have no idea what I'm talking about!! LOL

Reply #458871 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also he looks like Tayshaun Prince, who was once a productive player.

My first thought when I heard of this trade was, "I wonder what Pop will get out of this guy. Could be interesting..."

Reply #458879 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Does Daye coming in pushes Aron Baynes further down the bench?

Reply #458920 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Daye is a wing runner who will knock down the three.

He's a freakishly long and skinny 3-man.

Reply #458922 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Doesn't affect Baynes. Baynes is a 5. Daye is a wing or stretch 4 in a small ball lineup.

Reply #458923 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

Austin Daye is Dirk Nowitzki without mental toughness

Reply #458926 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The difference between them is that Dirk doesn't think the paint is made of lava. And they play a different position. And yes, they have different dispositions.

If the guy realises he's on a good team and tries hard, Pop will give him minutes and he'll succeed. The Spurs don't just make trades for the sake of it; they'll mould him and tool him up for sure.

Reply #458928 | Report this post

Necro  
Years ago

Daye could turn to be a Danny Green type player on the wing.

Reply #458929 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Btw random tip for those wanting to make some spare cash: Suns to beat Spurs straight up tomorrow. There are some games you're scheduled to lose, and this is one.

Reply #458935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anybody else remember watching Patty mills first series for the boomers against New Zealand. Then I thought his defence was decent he has really dropped off since then.

Reply #458997 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't know about that, anon. There is a big difference in trying to keep Chris Paul out of the paint compared to whoever-the-hell-plays-the-PG-for-the-tall-blacks.

Reply #459005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll concede that point

Reply #459006 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

and @SS: betting against the Spurs is like betting against Miami for me: I always regret it. Just don't do it. Not on the road. Not on the 2nd night of a back to back.

Reply #459011 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha, wait and see. Last game of the rodeo, Spurs will be tired. Especially considering the trip from Oregon to Arizona.

Regardless of who it is, the Suns can and will run on you. Too good. PJ Tucker will slow Manu, Diaw will be stifled, Mills will dip.

Reply #459013 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not sure what they're like on the last game of the rodeo historically, but they have won over 70 per cent of rodeo games in the past, a ridiculous strike rate.

Timmy has had a day off too, hasn't he?

Reply #459040 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Nah I have no clue what the record is. Timmy is playing and looking quite sharp, but the team as a whole is flat as a tack. Two backcourt violations before the first timeout.

Reply #459041 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Close game somehow but yeah...flat as.

If you didn't look at the scoreboard you'd assume it was an early Suns blowout...

Reply #459043 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha wow what a crazy end to the quarter. Gotta take the Suns at this point.

Reply #459044 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Read an interesting stat this morning: Patty Mills is the only player not named Parker, Ginobili, Duncan or Robinson to attempt more than 25 shots over the past 15 seasons.

Says a lot about the opportunity he's been given.

Reply #459050 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

*for the Spurs

Reply #459051 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

put a 100K on the Suns, you better be right Statsheet stuffer!

Reply #459055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holy crap. 15 seasons is a career. You'd think if one guy gets hot one game...just one time. That's something like 1100 games?

Side note, your favourite offensive team is doing quite well as we speak

Reply #459056 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

^that was me.

And yeah, lance. Safe as houses my man.

I've actually come to the realisation that it's very hard being a professional gambler. Multiple betting sites have drastically reduced my maximum stakes lately. Quite unfair that they can take as much money off you as they want, but when you win they limit your winnings.

Reply #459057 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Safer than bank interest

Reply #459058 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

"It's like he can see into the future" -Mick.

Reply #459059 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:06 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754