Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Breakers 23rd Feb

What a Heritage Round game this will be. Breakers with an insipid performance against the Gongers on Friday night will either hit back hard, or curl up into the foetal position calling for mummy to make it all better. I'm expecting them to hit back hard! And why not. They are still in the hunt for 4th spot.

The Coopz videos of the 98 season during the week have been great and have been the entree of freshly shucked Coffin Bay oysters leading up to the main meal of exotic hand reared, hand massaged beef served on a bed of potato mash. Let's hope the current Sixers summon the ghosts of the past to this game. It's great to see some of them running around in the pre game. For some who couldn't make it I find drawing a pentagram and saying their name backwards three times does the trick.

I think the Breakers and Sixers match up very evenly and so this game will be won on perfect execution of perfect plays. As you all know, I think Creek > Abba so that's one spot I can tick off. The Peach-Vukona arm wrestle involves two of my favourite players and neither likes to be pushed around. Wilkinson has been the danger man for the Sixers, but if DJ is switched on in D that matchup will be tighter than a shirt dress on a cheap hooker. Guardwise the effervescent Johnson will definitely test Gary Ervin.

There will be a bit of emotion at the start so expect the Breakers to foul hard early and bomb down a few 3's to try to get control of the game and nullify a noisy crowd. I think all the Sixers need to do if the Breakers are in control is look at the 98 team in the bleaches and summon the 6th man to the court.

Sixers in what should be a great game of basketball.

Topic #33790 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombie > Creek every day of the week. Creek is getting better for sure but wipe your eyes please.

Reply #459034 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

They already did hit back hard 2 days later after crossing the country and showing some backbone. Im thinking this one will be a continuation of good things to come. After Breakers efforts in the Gong Fri, expecting a 36ers by 11+

Reply #459035 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Sixers comfortably get this one. Great bounce back against melb and NZ a shell of their former selves. I would still take Abercrombie over Creek but that gap is closing fast

Reply #459036 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Creek over Abercrombie?

Nope nope nope.

Reply #459066 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ were completely thrown out of their rhythm on Friday by the Hawks. Adelaide are a different style of game, and the Breakers season is on the line now.

It will take a big effort from the 36ers to get this one, a lot of NZ's better players spent a lot of time sitting with foul trouble so theyll be ready to roll in this one.

Reply #459084 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Paul, I think itll be much the same. 36ers too quick and will draw same players into foul trouble and put them on the back foot. Sometimes when a team has 'alot to play for' its becuase they have been bad all season, nothing tells me against solid opposition, not Cairns, they will be ordinary once more. 6ers got their scare and will be trying to make as many statements between now and the playoffs as possible.

Reply #459088 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

This one is OFFICIALLY match point for the Breakers, gonna be almost impossible at 9-14....

Reply #459092 | Report this post

carcus mamby  
Years ago

No names and numbers on heritage shirts, disappointing

Reply #459205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amateur hour with no numbers or names on heritage jerseys.

Reply #459215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if Adelaide will struggle to cover both Abercrombie and Te Rangi with no Frye and Creek being the only 3

Reply #459223 | Report this post

carcus mamby  
Years ago

Creek at 4 playing small ball, not really working

Reply #459225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep need Frye and not just at the basket. His steals were pretty nice too... aargh....

Reply #459226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep need Frye and not just at the basket. His steals were pretty nice too... aargh....

Reply #459227 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

FFS Sixers....NZB are shooting 36% FG.

How are they still ahead?*

* The above question is rhetorical, the answer is rebounds.

Reply #459228 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Lets be fair guys.

Abercrombie is a considerable way ahead of Creek at this time.

Creek has potential to be better for sure.

But right now, Abercrombie comfortably better.

With all due respect to Sixers fans (and you guys are one of the most loyal and knowledgeable fan base), do you guys think you overrate Creek a little bit?

He is a player with a bright future no doubt, but the gap is not closing fast!

Thought Creeks comments pre-game was a bit unprofessional. Creek has a habit of saying some pretty outlandish things:

'All he's worried about right now is keeping Abercrombie quiet, and he’s got a few ideas.

"If he hasn’t shot the ball yet, make him shoot it. If he misses it, talk to him about it and remind him he missed it. Tell him he’s playing a s*** game so far, get in his head, play physical," Creek said.'

Reply #459232 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Creek v Blanchfield would be a fairer comparison

Reply #459233 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like that Mitch is confident and speaks his mind - he is not happy crawling he wants to walk! He is definitely improving and in time he will be able to back those words up more often.

The NBL needs more guys like him talking up the game and giving fans something to talk about.

Very entertaining game, great cameo from CJ at the end, and some real class from Gibson, Johnson, Abercrombie and Webster throughout.

Reply #459237 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Can we get rid of the three guard lineups please.

Reply #459238 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

NZ's biggest problem has been getting results out of close games. Corey Webster and those missed free throws, could have set the game up for pay-back for that buzzer-beater loss at Vector.

Reply #459255 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

cj is still so clutch, far out

Reply #459258 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

How good was his last play where he looked like he was going to shoot and then found Abercrombie open on the money for the potential game winner? Classic PG play.

Reply #459261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't worry about CJ how good was Adam Gibson!

Reply #459265 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Why Webster had the ball in his hands is beyond me, never been a fan of his...kerron johnson- thanks for coming but you're not who/what we need....dean vickerman should have a fucken press break by now and the same issue from last month- transition defense, too many easy buckets for the 6ers.

Despite this being a better effort, the win was needed and whilst it's still mathematically possible, this season has been a failure!

Reply #459271 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Abercrombie on so many occasions had Ervin defending him and NOT once made an effort to seal him at the rim. He spent most of the game just standing in the dead corner. Same on Friday against the Hawks. Vickerman needs to run some stuff for him on the miss matches and also get him moving more in the offense.

Reply #459275 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Great game and great long range bomb at the end for CJ to keep spectators on their toes.

Breakers did very well. 3 guys fouled out, one guy with rolled ankle. Still can make finals but need to make 5/5!

Great to see the olde skool cheerleaders too. They were still looking good.

Reply #459278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

11 assists by Gibbo in a 40 minute NBL game is a great effort. Probably the equivalent of 15+ in the NBA.

Reply #459281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers played too many pgs at once, the amount of offensive boards the breakers got is unacceptable. Not much to take out of this game but slot yo be worked on if we are to make a run

Reply #459299 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Ervin zero assists. Says a lot really!

Reply #459305 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"11 assists by Gibbo in a 40 minute NBL game is a great effort. Probably the equivalent of 15+ in the NBA."
It's the equivalent of 13. You probably need to adjust it back down for pace, so it's likely the equivalent of about 11.

Reply #459306 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I cannot get over how shit the D Trans was today.

Reply #459307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given the Breakers are usually a bit of a bogey team surely the first time we've swept them in a regular season series, 4-0?

Reply #459314 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Great game ,nice shots by cj in the corner and downtown,lucky the ambercrombie shot didnt drop.Good days worth of value not only seeing Sixers win another tight game,plus see the 98 team and the all star players another good game plus good to see some of the. Old cheerleaders out there,great to see Tina and Emma cheerleading again they still look awesome .

Reply #459347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Defence Wins Championships,6ers have no hope.

Reply #459350 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A little bit of improvement in Teys and Carters games, perhaps not quite Frye just yet. Schenscher could be handy. Missed freethrows gave NZ a chance. A big pushoff by Bruton, foul on DJ seemed weird.

Reply #459372 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Underestimating Fryes long arms and amazing jump pushing the ball out or bringing it down. Not saying Teys and Carter didn't perform but just missed his defensive presence. I couldn't care less about his fouls, it at least meant he took it to the basket and the Sixers site has at least 6 shots of him taking to the hoop successfully......

Reply #459402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still dont get Teys starting and playing basically as much as Creek and more than Carter who both imo are better players.

I understood the decision to let Frye go, but wouldnt have increased Teys's minutes would have given Creek more and any left to Carter.

Hopefully Joey changes his mind on this one and gives Creek the court time he has shown he deserves for most of the season, and more consistent minutes would also make it easier for Creek to be more consistent with performance aswell.

Reply #459403 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Breakers are still tough. I actually kind of feel sorry for Vickerman in a way.

Reply #459474 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:02 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754