Annon
Years ago

Sanders arrives Monday

Purple patch: Jesse Sanders is keen to help the Kings' title push. Photo: Getty Images
One of the first things Jesse Sanders did when he arrived home to Sugar Land, Texas last November was sign up to NBL.TV so he could watch streams of the team that had sent him packing.

The point guard was bitterly disappointed to be cut by the Sydney Kings for NBA player Sam Young after all the hard work he had put in during the pre-season and first seven games.

Few truly believed coach Shane Heal when he said Sanders could return to action later on, not least the player himself.

But when fellow import Charles Carmouche regretfully told the team late last week he had to return to the US urgently because of an illness in the family, staff wondered what the 24-year-old was up to.

Advertisement
''They were trying to get hold of me but I had a different number,'' Sanders said from Texas on Saturday.

''When I checked my email before bed I saw two or three emails from management and the coach giving me a snapshot of what was going on, the situation with Charles having to leave. Everything moved pretty quick from there.''

Sanders will arrive on Monday with wife Courtney and head straight to Kings training. The side is gunning for a play-off spot and need him to fire. He said he was in great shape, despite not having signed another contract since leaving Sydney.

''The Kings had my rights for a certain amount of time, so I couldn't play for another team for about a month till I was a free agent,'' Sanders said.

''Thankfully the city of Houston has a lot of good ball players. I played in a few leagues and tournaments in the city. My agent was talking with some teams in Europe, but nothing was really a great fit. In hindsight, I'm grateful things worked out this way.

''I've been staying in the best shape, waiting for an opportunity, but I didn't think this opportunity would open up as early as it has.''

The former Liberty University star said he had ''left everything on the court in those first seven games'' with the Kings, felt ''blessed'' to have played previously in Sydney and, despite being ''very disappointed to leave'', was thankful to have departed on good terms.

''I'm definitely not coming back with a chip on my shoulder,'' he said.

''I'm excited and thankful and ready to chase the title with the guys. That was one of the hardest things, knowing the work we had put in and having to leave before we could finish what we started. It's a great feeling to go back, reunite and chase this title. It was not something I expected but now I get a second chance.''

He said he had been keeping an eye on the league and felt the Kings were looking good.

''I've had my NBL league pass up and running - my wife would have to kick me off there sometimes. I'd check games, check stats. I'm excited to play with Sam and everybody. Tom Garlepp looks like he's been playing well, Ben Madgen too.

''My wife and I have been praying for Charles and his family. But there's a vacancy there now that I'm thankful to be able to fill.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/jesse-sanders-returns-to-sydney-kings-as-charles-carmouche-makes-his-exit-20140222-338vr.html#ixzz2u3C0ch19

Topic #33795 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great man playing for a poor club.

Reply #459145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Colonel!

Reply #459146 | Report this post

JW21  
Years ago

Good on Jesse, some justice for him after being treated so unprofessionally.
The Kings however, have no shame.

Reply #459152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd love to see him have a long career in the NBL, is a solid play maker who works hard,

Reply #459154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am fascinated to see how prolific this makes Ogilvy again as he is guaranteed of getting far more touches on offence.

So he will be there for the Perth game?

Reply #459165 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Perhaps Sanders likes the idea of living in Australia, maybe even permanently (plenty have stayed) so happy to be forgiving as he is a Christian. Hope it goes well as it may bring some ripper finals games for all our entertainment if the AJ/Sanders combo is as effective as some may believe. Happy to see some tight edge of the seat games as long as my faves still come up trumps of course.....

Reply #459168 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Speaks volumes of his character, very professional.

Reply #459170 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

While I think the public handling of it was poor, from what I hear Sanders knew what was going on so wouldnt feel jilted, just part of the business of being an import.

Reply #459174 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"While I think the public handling of it was poor, from what I hear Sanders knew what was going on"
Heal made that claim in the paper, but a random dude on Twitter was quite insistent he knew one of the parties involved and it wasn't the case.

On the one hand, like I said, random dude on Twitter. On the other hand, most of the time people just admit they don't find the story plausible, rather than claiming to be involved. And it's not as though it's particularly implausible for the Kings and Heal to lie about it for PR.

Reply #459176 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I remember Sanders saying Heal had been pretty open to him that they were exploring other options.

Reply #459178 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Why are people so hyped up on this guy? I dont remember him doing much of anything as far as an import point guard goes... is it purely due to the dislike of Heal and the way he was sacked, because alot of imports get the sack in pro basketball worldwide. And lost of them are great people off the court, but its a business.

Reply #459180 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Did you not notice the Kings completely collapse as soon as he was let go?

Took three months, but this is the team Sydney should have had in November.

Reply #459187 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

most of the time people just admit they don't find the story plausible, rather than claiming to be involved

lol... are you new here?

Why are people so hyped up on this guy? I dont remember him doing much of anything as far as an import point guard goes...

He wasn't needed to be the flashy Ervin type of PG, but he was very valuable in doing the things that needed to be done... he had his ups and downs early on but he brought a lot of value to the team... That and i think people could see that he was the teams only real decent PG and it was mental that the Kings would be giving that up...

I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a saviour or a super star, but just to bring in some organisation and hence make everyone else better...

Reply #459192 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Madgen wasn't firing on all cylinders early in the season when Sanders was there before, so it will be great to see Sanders feeding Madge, Young and Ogilvy. Could be looking at 10 assists a game.

Reply #459195 | Report this post

Steven R  
Years ago

Won't be a superstar, but will have superstar impact. You're right, Wookie.

Reply #459198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people assume Kings will be in the playoffs.

Reply #459209 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Should be a great battle next week a full strength kings at home v Perth

Reply #459211 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Definitely a good bloke no question.. I also thought he was a decent point guard. If he was an Aussie he would have stayed on and people would respect him as a player. I am glad hes back... He might not be a superstar but he is solid and if he got citizenship he would have a 10 plus year career here.

Reply #459276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Perth fan I must say I am very pleased to see him back in the league.

Reply #459324 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Rewatched Sydney vs Perth r2 the other night. Sanders does really well against Martin. 4 steals +

Reply #459580 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:19 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754