Ganymede 86
Years ago

NBL: Road to the finals

Interesting weekend of games. 3 weeks left before finals with the race still open for the playoffs and wooden spoon. Just having a look at the play off picture.
1: Perth 19 - 6
vs Townsville @ Adelaide vs Wollongong
Top spot sealed playing now for form and momentum heading into the finals. Game vs Adelaide will be interesting after last time. See them going 21 - 7 or 22 - 6.

2: Adelaide 15 - 9
vs Townsville vs Perth @ Sydney vs Melbourne
Need one win to seal second spot in my opinion but playing for form. Need that chemistry with the questionable roster change/rotation. Looking forward to Perth game in particular. Sydney and Melbourne will be a good test heading into the finals, especially Sydney after the Perth game on the double. Think they will be 17 - 11 or 18 - 10.

3: Melbourne 12 - 12
@ New Zealand vs Sydney @ Cairns @ Adelaide
Out of form big time at the moment with a tough draw to finish. They rely on Goulding immensely for offence. They need the split minimum on the tough double this week having struggled vs Sydney so far and the Breakers are always tough at home. However two wins will seal a playoff spot but no wins will see them struggling I feel. This weekend will define their season. They could be fighting for their playoff lives lightly last round @ Adelaide. See them going 13 - 15 or 14 - 14.

4: Sydney 11 - 12
@ Melbourne @ New Zealand vs Adelaide @ Wollongong vs Townsville
They will be kicking themselves that they lost to Perth today as they could've/should've won that. 12 - 11 would have had them third. A tough draw to finish as Townsville is their only certain win I think. On a positive they are in reasonable form and have gone good against Melbourne and Adelaide this year. They also played well vs Perth today I thought with Sanders coming in. The games vs Melbourne and Wollongong are crucial to their playoffs hope for splits and games ahead. Think they go 13 - 15 likely.

5: Wollongong 11 - 13
vs Cairns @ Townsville vs Sydney @ Perth
The form team of the competition currently and the best coached I believe out of 3 - 5. I think they have an easier draw than Sydney and Melbourne but their record is worst and Melbourne is 4 - 0 vs them. Tiggs coming back will be crucial as Rotnei can only play at the level he is playing at for a certain period of time and is due for a shocker. I think if they beat Sydney and win one of the other two they are probably safe. I believe they well go 13 - 15.

6: Cairns 10 - 15
@ Wollongong vs Melbourne @ New Zealand
They need to win all three games remaining to make the four which I don't think they well do given their inconsistencies all year. This is a talented group which could prove me wrong and win out as they have had the wood on Wollongong on the road in the last couple of years but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped all three and finished last. I see them going 11 - 17.

7: New Zealand 10 - 15
vs Melbourne vs Sydney vs Cairns
Down but not out I feel if they win all three games remaining at home which is very achievable. Considering they have the split on Wollongong Sydney Melbourne and potentially Cairns I think they can still make the playoffs. For this too happen however their shocking defence needs to improve. They have an experienced group and CJ stepped up over the weekend. I think they go 12 - 16 or 13 - 15.

8: Townsville 9 - 15
@ Perth @ Adelaide vs Wollongong @ Sydney
Townsville showed a lot of fight to beat Melbourne on the road with 7 players by the end of the game in an overtime thriller and were unluckily vs New Zealand. They need to win out to have a shot which I don't think they well especially with Conklin potentially out. I think they are thinking long term with the club. They could struggle to win a game and I think they end up with the wooden spoon.

Overall I think the league has been even this year which is good for it. I see Perth Adelaide Melbourne and Wollongong making the four looking at the remaining games and splits.

Topic #33865 | Report this topic

kings fan  
Years ago

Perth v Sydney GF.

I see Kings finishing 3rd and beating the sixers and the Tigers 4th where Perth will destroy them.As much as it pains me the Cats are by far the best team in the league.

Reply #460543 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Wollongong will sneak into the playoffs. Sydney finishing third and beating the 6ers. Perth v sydney gf where the kings will finally break their losing streak against perth but the cats will win 2-1 and championship. Perth are the best team this year but its not by daylight. Anything can happen in the playoffs and remember the past two years perth copped injuries right before the playoffs. The title is wide open for the taking

Reply #460555 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

April Fool?

Reply #460567 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Perth will play grand final against;
Adelaide (most likely)
Sydney ( slim chance)
Melbourne ( very slim chance )
Wollongong ( see Melbourne)

Reply #460573 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The run home:

Perth and Sixers - will finish 1 and 2

Melbourne (12/12)
@Breakers (L) ---- critical game
v Kings (50:50 W) ---- critical game
@Cairns (50:50 L)
@Sixers (L)

Finish 13/15

Kings (11/12)
@ Tigers (50:50 L) ---- critical game
@ Breakers (L) - must win game
v Sixers (L) - must win game
@ Hawks (L)
v Crocs (W)

Finish 12/16 - no finals for you

Hawks (11/13)
v Cairns (W)
@ Crocs (W) - their danger game
v Kings (W)
@ Perth (L)

Finish 14/14

Breakers (10/15)
v Tigers (W) ---- critical game
v Kings (W)
v Cairns (W)

Finish 13/15

Final 5
Perth
Adelaide
Hawks 14/14
Breakers 13/15 (will have the split)
Melbourne 13/15
Kings 12/16

Breakers are +14 and are 2:1 over Melbourne. Tigers need to win by 15

To close to call who will go against Perth and Adelaide, but those teams will be carrying form.

Reply #460576 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Incredibly, the Breakers playoff dream is still alive, having the split against teams 3-6 really helps BUT they mus win their 3 games. If we sneak in, LOOK OUT, but it's a MASSIVE IF! Come on Breakers get up now!!

Reply #460600 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Breakers must win next game. Tigers season is on line as well in that game, but the Breakers should get that game

Reply #460615 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Breakers wouldn't have been happy with this round. Barely escaped with the home win over Townsville and then lost the second one.

Reply #460637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think last round was a good competitive round which is good heading close to the finals.

Reply #460649 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:03 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754