Jack Toft
Years ago

Tigers v Kings 9th March

Well........Cairns drove a stake through the heart of Gonger fans last night and loosened the noose around the Kings neck. Today The Kings can remove that noose and lock in finals action with a win over The Tigers.

Can they be masters of their own destiny?

Sydney are 3-0 over Melbourne this year and should win this one, but Melbourne are a ladder position clear of them.

Melbourne needs a minor miracle from Goulding and Wortho to snatch this one. Gonger fans will be looking for a hero to step up. Sadly for Gonger fans, Sydney wins the Bradbury Award for 2014 season as Melbourne fall over themselves and let Sydney hold 4th.

And the winner is Syd den kneeee

Topic #33915 | Report this topic

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Tigers pulled a Houdini in nz the other night so Syd-den-knee will be a little more desperate for this one. Kings by 6

Reply #461707 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

A great battle for third with two of our "favourite" coaches going head to head.
Sydney have the talent and pushed Perth last week but I have a feeling melb will get up in a close one

Reply #461709 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I am confident this is very winnable for the KIngs from this point at half time.
But only if Heal uses some common sense.

Reply #461712 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Goulding has 29 points with 40 seconds remaining in the second quarter! 51-51 at this point with Young and Madgen also having a big impact.

Reply #461713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The match centre on the NBL website doesn't seem to work. It doesn't show live scores. Terrible!

Reply #461714 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

It's been doing it all season.
Pot luck if you ever get Live Stats.
Goulding heading towards a 50pt plus game. No other Tiger in double figures.
Did I say common sense?

Reply #461715 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

^Agreed anon, nbl website a joke.

Reply #461716 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Kings' Twitter hasn't had a score since 3/4 time.
They are in the same predicament.

Reply #461717 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Disgraceful from the Kings.
Tigers are a one man scoring team.
Tigers had 3 major players on 3 or 4 fouls
and STILL they are going to win this.
Kiss the finals goodbye Heal!!
Too many non-team-players.

Reply #461718 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Disgraceful effort.

Reply #461719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um, the Kings are still in the 4.

Reply #461720 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I expect them to lose that position by March 22nd.

Reply #461721 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Disgraceful effort from Sydney.
Awesome effort from Chris Goulding

Reply #461722 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Goulding MVP?

Reply #461723 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Young on Goulding?
That's a pretty smart move. A sacrifice for nothing.

Reply #461725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazing performance by goulding! How he goes melbourne goes. Sydney should've gone to a box and one I thought

Reply #461726 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

How was it a disgraceful effort from Sydney? Goulding single-handedly won the game for Melbourne, as he has done countless times this season (in less emphatic fashion).

Given that the referees were having a free-for-all on foul calls, they couldn't be physical with Goulding, and he couldn't miss from distance.

The zones from Sydney were a mistake: they were awful, but Sanders and Madgen in particular worked hard to defend Goulding. Young and Garlepp generally looked lost defensively.

Reply #461728 | Report this post

Reply #461731 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Jeez Kings fans are so fickle. Shut up and be happy that you're in the four. You won't be surpassed by Wollongong so be happy that you'll be in the playoffs. It's a whole new ball game then.

Looks like Anstey read my comments regarding tempo and quick decisions/first option in the halfcourt.

Reply #461732 | Report this post

Woops,
Interesting how we all see it differently.
Young was slack and lazy on Goulding for a big portion of the game. He was too far away from him so many times and had that "less than 100%" effort again that we've seen a bit of this season.
My only sympathies for Heal are that he has to tolerate him or else... He can't possibly think he'll get back in the NBA.
Goulding was superb, another Tigers' MVP and a close NBL MVP also.
Heal for Bullets' coaching job? Surely not.

Reply #461734 | Report this post

Hammer MUST Go  
Years ago

Heal is a joke of a coach. Amazing how many posters here can't see it. Routinely gets outcoached week after week and never makes the proper in-game adjustments. I hear about his having to coach with a supposed lack of talent - really??? A guy who should be a stud big man in Ogilvy, a great offensive player in Madgen and an NBA player in Young, not go mention a serviceable big man in Garlepp, a solid PG in Sanders and some good bench depth.

And yet he still has a losing record and some guys on that team want nothing to do with him. The Kings will be well rid of him.

That said, Goulding was awesome. One of the best individual performances I've ever seen. If he plays like that in the playoffs, the Tigers will give anyone problems, despite the fact they are playing with virtually one import right now.

Reply #461739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be second consecutive year in the play offs.

Worst coach ever!

Reply #461742 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Most Kings fans blame Heal when they lose and praise Ogilvy, Madgen etc when they win it's quite amusing.
A potential Adelaide v Melb semi final series is something to look forward to.

Reply #461744 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

This time next week, Hawks ahead of Kings in the 4?

Reply #461747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Farrakhan played under 5 minutes.....obviously goulding played exceptionally and tomlinson did well too but why bother even suiting the guy!!

Reply #461749 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Sydney should've gone to a box and one I thought"

They did, but a couple of well executed screens can kill that pretty quickly.

Reply #461751 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

The refs are taking Ogilvy out of the game too early with soft foul calls. Kings didn't play that bad, Goulding was just hot. I would have put a player like Brad Hill on Goulding and got him to tag him, so if he got fouled out it wouldn't be a significant loss on offence. Young obviously couldn't keep up with Goulding.

Reply #461754 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Paul, you're a prose pro, bro. Great report.

I wonder about Farrakhan... he's a master of digging the offense into a hole because the offense slows measurably when he's on.

What kind of team are they? Defensive minded, low possession, halfcourt team or one that implements more of a quicker pace? Their possessions looked good when they didn't use much shot clock to get things done. But if it weren't for Goulding consistenly bailing them out with made shots, I wonder what their offense would've looked like today.

Reply #461757 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne all will play finals.

Mathematically:
- Perth will be top
- Adelaide a ~97% chance of second and ~3% of third
- Melbourne a ~3% chance of taking second, ~87% of third and ~10% of fourth
- Sydney ~11% chance of taking third, ~38% chance of 4th and ~51% of not making finals (including a ~2% chance of finishing last!)
- Wollongong ~44% chance of taking 4th and 56% of not making finals
- Cairns ~7% chance of still taking fourth
- NZ still a ~5% chance of taking fourth!
- Townsville can't finish higher than sixth

If the Hawks win their last three games, they're a lock for fourth. If they beat Townsville and Sydney but lose to Perth, they're still an 88% chance to take fourth from Sydney. Even losing to Townsville and Perth leaves them a 10% chance to take fourth if they beat Sydney. Expect a sellout in Wollongong on the 21st.

Reply #461760 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I'm sure that Anstey threw a few game plans out the window when Bubbles went crazy.
Smart move.

Reply #461765 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

It's what every coach with half a brain would do, yes. My point was more bigger picture -- what is a Melbourne Tigers game going to look like come playoffs?

Reply #461766 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Because it's safe to say Goulding isn't reaching those heights again this season.

Reply #461767 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's a great question SS, I think the reason theyre so inconsistent is their preferred style is so hard to perfect.

IMO they need to push the ball to get into their sets quick, but not quick-shoot the ball too often to let opponents to get into an up-and-down affair where Melbourne's heavy rotations can get exploited.

But when they are running out off boards like today and using that time to execute they are very difficult to defend.

Can they do that against a team that disrupts fullcourt like Adelaide and Perth? Some night yes, some nights no, they need to make that more consistent over the next fortnight to give themselves a chance.

And thanks for the compliment, that was one of my all-time favourite games to cover, a real high-quality fun affair.

Reply #461768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else notice Shane heal suffering from a bout of herpes! What was going in there! Kissing madgens ballsacke to often!

Reply #461785 | Report this post

Bert  
Years ago

^^^ A typically absurd comment from an anon. herpes is no laughing matter.
@ Statsheet Stuffer, good posts mate I like the way you tell it how it is.

Reply #461813 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think the reason theyre so inconsistent is their preferred style is so hard to perfect.

You mean their preferred style of relying on Bubbles to shoot the lights out every game? ;)

I should go through their results this season to get some facts to back it up, but it's pretty clear that the Tigers win when Goulding fires (for the most part) as the rest of the team is pretty unexceptional overall...

That being said, as I've said elsewhere, a truly spectacular performance from Chris, hitting a lot of shots with a hand in his face but also a lot wide open, which is unforgivable from the Kings defence. With the Gong losing this round, it was on the Kings to take this game by the balls and put a stronger lock on that fourth spot and even push for a third spot on the ladder, but again, as we've seen recently, they come out flat and uninspired, which as a Kings fan is REALLY disappointing.

As has been said above, we can't use the old "getting the most out of a team that isn't that talented" as we've got a LOT of good players, some great ones too, but it's just lacking the desire and effort and desperation that other teams are showing, that really kicks you in the nuts as a fan.

Young puts up numbers, but again, lazy on D, whinging to refs on his arse while the play is up the other end, taking over 6 or so REALLY silly shots... This is extra frustrating ad then in another play, he gets it down low and completely dominates!

AJ still is picking up soft fouls early, sure, there's no questioning them, but the inconsistency that allows him to continually get hammered on the other end with no whistle is painful...

Kings have Adelaide(H), Perth, NZ, Wollongong & Townsville(H) in the run home. That's three teams that the Kings haven't beaten this season and two more very tough teams...

Truth is, they've had their destiny in their hands a few times this season and they've come up short. I hope I'm wrong, but unless they pull their finger out, I can't see them making the playoffs, which as a Kings fan is really hard to take...

Reply #461819 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Goulding's scores when Tigers win: 29, 34, 29, 31, 14, 14, 30, 22, 26, 18, 23, 31, 25, 50.

They have wins with him above, below and on average, but obviously the odds are better when their best player plays well.

The extra nuance to that, though, is he is more likely to play well when they are playing with pace in the halfcourt - hence giving him more potential scoring opportunities - while keeping the other team playing slow, and that isn't easy to do.

Reply #461823 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Kings dont play Perth again, theyve got NZ, Adelaide(H), Wollongong & Townsville(H) in that order.

If they beat the Hawks and win one other I think theyll make it as Wollongong's other two games are in Townsville and Perth, and while they are playing well, winning both of those will be tough.

If the Hawks continue their dominance of Sydney though, the Kings will prob have to win all their other three and even that mightnt be enough.

Reply #461828 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Ah yes, my mistake, still blocking that close loss out, maybe... Still, I had least got some hope out of pushing Perth so far and even leading at some point... completely different team it looked like compared to the one that played the Tigers...

The Tigers game was there for the taking and would have allowed them to not have to rely as much on other results...

NZ have both Kings and Cairns at home, quite possible two wins... That could have them 12-16 best case (for them) which means that we would have to beat two of our remaining opponents, still in their hands, but not very comfortable...

Truth be told, if Cairns or Wollongong get up into fourth spot, it will be hard to fault them compared to the Kings... Would just be incredibly disappointing, considering third spot and a more favourable match up against Adelaide was possible...

Reply #461840 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I'm in two minds about Melbourne's post-season chances. On the one hand, you'd think you wouldn't want to take their game-plan into finals intensity play against Perth or Adelaide. On the other hand, perhaps just hoping Goulding explodes in two games is exactly the sort of thing that works in a best of three series.

Reply #461841 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

There's no two minds about it, Nathan. Melb have no chance post season. If they've only got one option (Goulding) and it's pretty clear that's the case, that makes the job a fair bit easier for decent opposition coaches (Gleeson, Wright). Compare that with Perth for eg. if Ennis has a bad night there's Redhage, Beal, even Martin that can (and have) step up offensively.

Reply #461866 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I do think Martin's last month is something that has really put some worries on the plates of the other coaches.

Reply #461870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it just me or was this game played at a super fast pace.

Reply #461883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal definitely had something on his lip which looked nasty.

After the debacle at Dragons and now Kings I doubt anyone else will give him a chance unless a really dumb owner in love with Hammer hires him. Bye bye. You don't jump into a head coaching role because you're a name. Well you can, but it won't last as you will get found out.

Reply #461884 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Wellington are a possibility and the NZNBL gig maybe connected. I always thought Pero Cameron would get the next HC job but the Heal appointment would be considered a coup. Not sure why, anymore.

Re the defence on Goulding, did anyone see one double team direction from the bench? The most obvious of initial plays against a sharp scorer like Chris.

Reply #461909 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Cheers, Bert.

My road to the playoffs:
I reckon the Hawks are only winning one of their last three. They're running into an emotion-charged Townsville on Saturday with Rusty's last home game (L), will be tough going against Sydney but I'll give them the (W) and Perth in Perth just ain't going to happen (L)

Sydney should win two of their last three with a probable (W) in NZ, but if they don't get that, they'll probably get up against Adelaide, but for arguments sake I'll give them a (L), lastly you can't say anything but a win at home against a Conklin-less Townsville.

Reply #461942 | Report this post

Jonty59  
Years ago

As good as Chris was, Heal's coaching was equally as bad. You saw Cairns double team Rotnei Clarke virtually every time he touched the ball at the Sandpit - at least in the first 3 quarters. Obviously Fearne made his mind up that somebody else was going to beat them. As far as Heal went, whether by his arrogance or plain stupidity, he almost never doubled Goulding at any stage.

50 points is awesome no doubt, but when a single player has 29 at the half, adjustments have got to be made. Heal never made them - and it's one of his giant weaknesses as a coach.

Reply #462063 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754