ShutUp!!
Years ago

International Series - Adelaide miss out again

Just read this on the BA website. I wonder if Adelaide was even under consideration as a venue. I guess Melbourne missed out this year due to Commonwealth Games.

Resi Mortgage brings basketball's Boomers to Sydney

An exciting new Australian-based international basketball tournament has been born today, with Basketball Australia unveiling the inaugural Resi Mortgage 4-nations tournament.

The Australian Boomers will take on world powers China, Lithuania and New Zealand in an international tournament to be played in Perth and Sydney this August. The tournament will become an annual feature of the international basketball calendar, with the event hosted by both Australia and China on a rotational basis.

"A four-year agreement, signed with China this year, will ensure four annual tournaments between Australia, China and two other invited nations," Basketball Australia Chief Executive Scott Derwin said. "Australia will host the tournament in alternate years, starting this year with matches being played in both Perth & Sydney."

"We are ecstatic to have Resi Mortgage Corporation on board as the presenting sponsor in Sydney and look forward to a successful relationship with one of Australia's most awarded home loan companies."

"Resi Mortgage Corporation welcomes the opportunity to support this inaugural tournament," Resi Managing Director, Peter James, said today. "The prospect of so many talented international players coming together in one event is a huge windfall for the game, and it's great to be a part of it."

The 2005 tournament commences on August 9 and 10 at the Challenge Stadium in Perth and concludes at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on August 12 and 14. In what will be a blockbuster weekend of international sport in Sydney, fans will have basketball on Friday night, the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday night, the City to Surf fun run on Sunday morning and basketball on Sunday afternoon.

Fans attending the Resi 4-nations event will have the opportunity to see some of the world's best international basketballers compete live. Each night, two games will be played, with special entertainment and activities for the whole family surrounding the games.

Boomers head coach, Brian Goorjian is hoping to successfully guide the Boomers to the inaugural title.

"I always expect to see my guys come out and leave everything on the court," Goorjian said. "We are all ecstatic to be playing in front of a home crowd and will not disappoint the fans who come out to support us. They will see some really exciting Boomers-brand basketball."

Athens Olympian Matthew Nielsen said he was looking forward to continuing the rivalry with nations from the Asia Pacific region.

"Australian basketball fans will get to see some high-quality international basketball between four nations who competed at the Olympics," Nielsen said. "This is a great opportunity to build the rivalry between countries in our region and we hope to build the strength of Asia-Oceania teams as well."

Tournament organisers are hopeful that the event will boast two NBA players in Andrew Bogut (Australia) and Yao Ming (China). While the two players have not confirmed their attendance at the tournament, the event has been scheduled to allow for them both to make the trip to Australia.

"I'd love to go up against Yao in front of a home crowd and it's sure to be a sight no basketball fan would want to miss," Nielsen said.

The tournament agreement with China will continue Basketball Australia's drive to forge strong relationships with Asian basketballing nations.

The Honourable Henry Tsang MLC, Parliamentary Secretary to the Premier on Trade and Investment and Chinese Australian community leader, is excited to have the event in Sydney.

"This is undoubtedly the strongest-ever Chinese basketball team and we are delighted to host this historic series against the Boomers in Sydney's Chinatown precinct," Tsang said. "Basketball is played by over 200 million people in China and following the phenomenal success of Yao Ming in the NBA, its popularity is only set to increase."

"This basketball series will serve as a fantastic bridge between Australia and China, and should strengthen our cultural and sporting ties. The Chinese Australian community is very excited about the tournament and for the chance to see China's best against Australia's best."

"We will see this tournament become a firm fixture between the two nations over the coming years," Scott Derwin predicted. "We are sure that this initial four-year agreement will only be the beginning of what will be a high-profile and successful annual tournament."

"We are pleased that we were able to attract New Zealand and Lithuania to the tournament in its inaugural year. Lithuania have been a top-four world-ranked team for the past 12 years and few will forget their memorable clash with the Boomers in the bronze medal game at the Sydney Olympics. Their strength and size will provide for some great on-court action."

The Perth leg of the tournament is supported by Western Australia's EventsCorp and the NSW Department of Tourism, Sport and Recreation are providing invaluable support for the Sydney leg.

The Perth Wildcats and Sydney Kings are hosting the tournaments in their home arenas, and tickets go on sale for both venues on June 29 through Ticketmaster 7.

Competition format and schedule
Tuesday, 9 August  Challenge Stadium, Perth

6.00pm - New Zealand v China
8.00pm - Australia v Lithuania

Wednesday, 10 August  Challenge Stadium, Perth

6.00pm - New Zealand v Lithuania
8.00pm - Australia v China

Friday, 12 August  Sydney Entertainment Centre

6.15pm - China v Lithuania
8.30pm - Australia v New Zealand

Sunday, 14 August  Sydney Entertainment Centre

3pm - New Zealand v Lithuania
5.15pm - Australia v China

Topic #3392 | Report this topic

Skyhook  
Years ago

Has Adelaide traditionally "paid" to come out and see the International matches played here ?

What was the last Basketball showcase played here?

Are we a profitable investment?

I dont know the figures.. but we cant sell out our own HOME FINALs recently so (eventhough i am personally disappointed to miss out ) I CANT really blame the promoters of this one.

I guess on the other side of that is the TIGERS can barely fill a small stadium either .. but they have a greater population to draw from i spose .. hmmm .. *scratches head *

I spose $9 (+ tax) flights could be an option for some people .. ??

Reply #39017 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Actually, since sending my first post, I thought about, Why Perth & Sydney. I catually don't think its all to do with Basketball.
I work in finance and Sydney is the biggest Home Loan Market in the country and would give RESI Mortgage a lot of exposure. Perth has the biggest Mortgage Broker market in the country & would once again give RESI a good promotion, so it may not be entirley Basketball based. You can't blame BA is a major sponsor says well we're putting up the money, so we want the games played where we are going to get the best exposure.

Reply #39019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also from a international point of view sydney and perth are main airports from an overseas point of view teams can fly in and play rather than fly into sydney then have to go on to brisbane or adelaide or melbourne
same with perth.

besides that why not think it as a positive to basketball in general that we have the tournament we are a big bloody country they can't play in each town.

and not sure if it is a FIBA sactioned event but there is a criteria on size of court and stadium for those events and the dome doesn't qualify we could hold round robin events for the OZ94 world champs but we couldn't have the finals as we didn't have a big enough stadium

Reply #39029 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Plus our state government isn't going to put up $200,000 towards the event.

Reply #39042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the last time the boomers played in Adelaide was 1999-2000 as a olympic warm up. i think it was against France or russia. only a 2000-3000 people showed up

Reply #39055 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Luc Longley was involved - see BA website.

Reply #39168 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Yeah,it would be great to see the Boomers play in adelaide.

I have a tape of a game from 1990, Boomers vs 36ers, great match!
Bradtke and Mckay played for the 36ers although both in boomers team.

Reply #45631 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:42 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754