Anonymous
Years ago

Brock Motum v Cameron Bairstow?

Who do you think is the more talented player at the moment?

Are either of these two guys a chance for the Boomers team at this years World Cup?

Topic #33931 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

BAIRSTOW

Reply #462195 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Cam Bairstow

Reply #462201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people say Bairstow? Because he is averaging 20ppg?

Motum averaged 19ppg and had NBA try outs

Reply #462205 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Motum would be in front...can strech floor and playing in a good league getting a nice amount of court time.

Bairstow is having a great year but it is only a solid conference at best so would like to see a bigger sample size against men before calling who's better.

Reply #462254 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I can't remember much about Brock's final season, but surely Bairstow is gaining more recognition and awards?

Also, people have seen Bairstow more, not just featuring but performing very well in international series against NZ...

To be able to choose between the two of them would be a great problem to have, Motum probably has more range, being able to hit the outside shot, but there's no questioning the hustle and inside play of Bairstow... It would come down to who surrounds them as to who would prefer better in different circumstances...

Reply #462256 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

If I was to start a team right now, I'd pick Motum.

Reply #462308 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Bairstow plays both ends better, he also strikes me as being a much tougher player. Based on what he did at last year's WUG I would have him ahead of Motum if forced to choose, but really it's hard to tell at this stage.

Reply #462312 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

Bairstow is averaging 20 for a WINNING side.

Plus Motum is possibly the softest man alive.

Reply #462322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wouldn't have had NBA workouts if he was that soft.

NBA clubs scout very well and aren't stupid

They obviously saw a reasonable amount that they liked about Brock

Reply #462324 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Both are different players, both starred in the final senior year of college but in different ways.

Motum is just a flat out scorer with range all the way beyond the arc - think natural stretch-4. He is a relatively soft rebounder and defender, but is a good passer.

Bairstow is a better defender and just as good as Motum in finishing around the rim. He is the type of guy that you want to go into battle with. Very good rebounder, with range on offense to just within the arc.

For mine, Bairstow has more upside and something you can't teach what which is a great work ethic.

It is a line ball call right now, and would most likely depend on what role needed filling. Both are long-term Boomer prospects. I think that Bairstow will work on his range following the season's end, and it will became another weapon he can unleash.

Reply #462329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good post above by LC, I agree Bairstow has a bigger upside and long term will be the better player.

However, in terms of if either of them will make the world's team and who is the better option, I think it will determine on who is playing in front of them. In an ideal world if Baynes and Bogut both played (unlikely for Bogut) then Bairstow doesn't really offer anything different to Baynes at the PF as an inside banger.

The thing Motum can do is stretch the floor as he has a solid 3 point shot. Dave Andersen can run that role as well, but struggles to guard 4's and is more suited to a 5. And if the back-up 5 spot in the team goes to either Jawai, Ogilvy, Maric of Nevill it just goes further to saying you probably don't need Bairstow in the team.

Reply #462334 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

The anon above also makes a good point. Knowing who is available in other frontcourt positions could also determine who gets a world cup berth.
Bogut will not be playing this year and Jawai and Andersen are not certainties.
Both Bairstow and Motum will be looking over their shoulders with Simmons and Bolden emerging from 2016 onwards.

Reply #462336 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Motum probably fits better as the Stretch 4 as we already have big bangers in Baynes, Ogilvy, Maric, Jawai etc.

Most teams really only play with 1 banger in FIBA bball so the stretch 4 is very important in that game style.

Also Bairstow is only listed at 6'9 so he undersized to play the 5 and be a regular low post threat so without consistent 3 range he isn’t a viable option unless playing with an Anderson type who prefers to play on the perimeter in offence...thou still leave Bairstow exposed guarding other stretch 4’s.

Reply #462382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

both Simmons and Bolden are aiming to be a small forward.

although if simmons grows a bit more he may end up a power forward...

Reply #462429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's see how they go up against each other at the next Boomers camp, that will answer the question I would imagine!

Reply #462430 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think Motum would be a chance this year as he hasnt been in the system. Bairstow would be an outside chance but he at least had a headstart in the squad last year.

Reply #462434 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Agree with LC, if Bairstow also worked on his hook shot to add another offensive weapon to his game.

Fran Fraschilla said Bairstow's game reminds him of Luis Scola, but i think Bairstows more like Indiana's David West

Reply #462461 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I think Bairstow was pretty unlucky not getting POY in the Mountain West.

I see both as solid Boomer prospects but I see Bairstow as the one who can step in and help immediately.
Could see something like Anderson and Bairstow working of the bench pretty well.

Reply #462470 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Why not take both!! Why do we have to choose. This we have a stretch 4 and a rebounder and inside 4

Reply #462879 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I have got both in my world cup team at this stage

Reply #462882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754