LC
Years ago

2014 FIBA World Cup for Women: Opals draw

The draw for the 2014 FIBA World Cup was held this morning; how did the Opals fare?

2014 FIBA World Cup for Women: Opals will need to be at their best

So who should make the final 12?

Topic #33960 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Predicted group (C) finish: 1st
Predicted quarter-final opponent: Brazil/Spain/Czech
Predicted semi-final opponent: USA

Easy group stage, unlucky finals draw.

I still can't believe that Russia (ranked 3rd) didn't qualify!

Reply #462901 | Report this post

Years ago

Too many variables in cross overs to predict top 2 at this stage.

Reply #462910 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

They will head the group in their sleep. But we will see how it goes from there!... cant imagine them not gettin on the podium.

Reply #462973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opals will need to drop a game and finish 2nd in their group to avoid USA in the semis, or its playing for Bronze again.

Reply #463132 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Disagree, if we are going into tournaments to avoid the USA we are not going in with the right attitude.

IMO we should be saying let's get the USA in the semi final and place them into the Bronze medal game...

Reply #463142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Bear, what are you disagreeing with? Its fact, I never said they should or would drop a game on purpose its just how the draw works.

Reply #463150 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Just not that fussed with the defeatist attitude that suggests if we play the USA it automatically means we will lose, that's all...

Reply #463156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't one of the criticisms of the 2006 gold medal win the fact that we never played the USA and apparently we had it easier because of that?

I agree with bear; if we play to avoid a possible match-up with the USA until the goal medal match then you don't know what other obstacles might present themselves along the way and the impact that could have. If we are good enough to beat the USA it shouldn't matter if its the semis or the gold medal match.

Reply #463172 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm with Bear too; play to win.

Reply #463201 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754