Steven
Years ago

NBL awards/All Nbl teams

We've had this thread early in the year but time to name your award winners and all NBL teams with another season just about complete.
For me
MVP: Goulding (Ennis)
ROY : Jervis (Ellis)
DPOY : Martin (daylight!)
MIP : Tomlinson
Coach : Wright
6th man : Wilson (Wagstaff)

All NBL 5:
Clarke
Goulding
Ennis
Young
D Johnson

Second 5:
D Martin
Ervin
Worthington
Conklin
Ogilvy

Third 5:
Markovic
Beal
Abercrombie
Redhage
Wilkinson

Your Thoughts ?

Topic #33968 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

MVP ennis
Roy Te rangi
Mip goulding
Coach gleeson
6th man tiggs

First team
Clarke
Goulding
Ennis
Young
Johnson

Second team
Ervin
D Martin
Abercrombie
Conklin
Ogilvy

Third team
Markovic
Beal
Worthington
Redhage
Wilkinson

Reply #463060 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I'm not sure about Ennis getting MVP. He's had quite a few quiet games, or been out shone by his team mates who would take some votes off him when he hasn't dominated, but still played well.

For me its either Goulding or Clarke, and leaning more towards Goulding at this late stage of the season.

Just a quick stab, without much analysis:
MVP: Goulding
ROY : Jervis
DPOY : D.Martin
Coach : Geordie
6th man : Wagstaff

Reply #463062 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

@ wildcats fan it's the same reason I have gone for Goulding as MVP I think without him the tigers would not be in the playoffs whereas Ennis although he has been great has had more support from Beal, Martin and even Redhage.

Reply #463063 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Would it be fair to say if the Hawks make the playoffs then Clarke for MVP, else Goulding?

Reply #463070 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Agree. Melbourne's success has depended a lot (maybe too much) on Goulding having a huge game, and he's delivered. He's been as important to his team as Clarke has to Wollongong, but with the Tigers having a few more wins, he just gets the nod.

Ennis has been spectacular, but has also had a lot of support around him, along with not always needing to be huge as the Wildcats have either had easy wins, or balanced team support from Redhage, Beal, Martin etc.

Reply #463072 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Marcus, the way the MVP is awarded, it's entirely possible that Clarke could win without making the playoffs. With all due respect to Clarke, who has had an outstanding season, he will get votes for being "the best of a bad bunch."

Ennis has got the fact that the Cats won a lot more games than other contenders, so there are more votes up for grabs. Yes, he will have votes "stolen" but he still could have enough.

This is why I think Goulding will win. He is the middle ground between the two. Decent number of wins, he has been the standout player for his team, so the votes up for grabs will largely go to him.

Our system is similar to the Brownlow and stolen votes don't always come in to it. Recent winners like Ablett, Bartell, Swan, Judd, Cousins, and going back a bit further to Black and Aker, all came from teams that finished on or near the top (from memory).

Reply #463075 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Would it be fair to say if the Hawks make the playoffs then Clarke for MVP, else Goulding?"
It's voted game-by-game, so playoffs won't matter.

Why should team performance impact an individual award anyway?

Reply #463076 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Ennis,Goulding,Clarke
Clarke,Ennis, Goulding
Goulding, Clarke, Ennis
Whichever way you look at it the MVP should be one of those 3 players.

Reply #463077 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

"Why should team performance impact an individual award anyway?"

MVP traditionally should go to the player that makes the biggest difference to his team.

Going by this definition Ennis should be out on a stacked Perth team, although if we stick to this then Lebron should be out as well for NBA MVP.

For me Clarke gets it, dragging a pretty ordinary Hawks team into the playoffs (if they get there).

Reply #463083 | Report this post

Stevie Wonder  
Years ago

Is Vukona not rated in this league anymore?
scoring is up & his rebounding is still up there

kerron johnson ROTY?

Reply #463084 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Kerron is an import. He can't win ROTY. also, he's crap.

Reply #463086 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

If Hawks make playoffs anyone think Geordie has a chance for coach of the year.

Reply #463092 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Yes I do, I mentioned it in my prediction :)

Reply #463096 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

As long as Damo gets DPOY, I'm happy with whatever.

Reply #463097 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Ok. We have 3 outstanding options for MVP... If it was a 3 way tie then do you think that would upset anyone?

Do you think winning or not winning would influence any of the 3s decision to return again next year (ie they won MVP so they have proven themself in this league) or choose to go the Europe route?

I think people need to recognise how great a defender Gliddon is! Not to the point of Damo but he is the second best defender on the league.

I also think Markovic deserves more love as he has been great in 2014 (a bit slow in the first month or so of the season) and Shawn Redhage has had a very poor last couple months of the season and I think he should come off the bench.

It's been a great season and so unpredictable and remember that half the teams had a new coach to start the season and all have survived this far.

Reply #463098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seems this is Ennis' first pro stint, can an import be ROY?

Reply #463105 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

if you smell what the rock is cooking !!!!!!!!!!

Reply #463115 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

MVP: Clarke
MIP: Goulding
ROY: Te Rangi
6th Man: Wilson
DPOY: Martin
COACH: Wright

1st Team
D Johnson
Young
Ennis
Goulding
Clarke

2nd Team
Ogilvy
Vukona
Abercrombie
Ervin
D Martin

3rd Team
Wilkinson
Conklin
Worthington
Beal
Markovic

Reply #463118 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Paul any chance of you being named 6th man in Big V after making that cameo on the weekend in D1.

Reply #463120 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

MVP: Clarke (Goulding)
ROY : toss a coin over a thin field
DPOY : Martin in first, second and third
Coach : Dennis
6th man : Wilson (Wagstaff)

All NBL 5:
Clarke
Goulding
Ennis
D Johnson
Ogilvy

Second 5:
D Martin
Wilson
Young
Wilkinson
Conklin

Third 5:
Ervin
Beal
Vukona
Petrie
Morrison

Reply #463141 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"seems this is Ennis' first pro stint, can an import be ROY?"
No. ROY is open to Australian players playing their first season of NBL. Or at least it was last year. This leads to guys like Ennis being ineligible and guys like Ogilvy being eligible, though, so hopefully the NBL has changed the criteria to something sensible.

Reply #463146 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The wooden spoon coach simply cannot win COTY.

Reply #463153 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

wright has to be miles ahead in talks for coach of the year,

afterall to take a team with only 4 changes to the roster to second on the ladder and an overall better product on the court is impressive...

Gleeson has done a great job at perth but didnt have to change too much...

And McLeod should always be shown the respect he deserves with what he can do with the money he has to do it with...

But Wright shoe in

Reply #463159 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"The wooden spoon coach simply cannot win COTY."
Why not? Hell, a few weeks ago it was quite possible for a five-way tie for fourth, so the wooden spoon coach would have missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker.

"Gleeson has done a great job at perth but didnt have to change too much.."
Correct, he only lost a former league and grand final MVP. Whereas Adelaide only added a former league MVP. C'mon, you can't be serious.

Even if Wollongong were crap this year, Gordie would deserve it for all the other times he's missed out.

Reply #463166 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Why not? Hell, a few weeks ago it was quite possible for a five-way tie for fourth, so the wooden spoon coach would have missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker."

Still means he is the wooden spoon coach then, doesn't it.

Reply #463169 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

the core of the 36ers team was still there....(Ervin, Frye/Carter, Anthony, Teys are the ONLY Additions this year, plus different Developement PLayers)

ervin was the missing link for the team that plus a better game plan (Coach)...

the results and effort of the team are chalk and cheese from last year to this year... (Coach)

The team is playing basketball as opposed to playing a 'system' with rotations etc so refreshing to see an attractive form of up tempo basketball being played (Coach)...{across the whole league too}...

To go from last to second with pretty much the same team is a great feat (Coach)...

cant just give it too a coach for what he 'has' done and missed out on getting it...

i agree Gordie has been unlucky at times in the past and probably has deserved it but this year Wright has to be very short priced favourite...

Reply #463171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MVP: Goulding
ROY : Jervis
DPOY : Martin
MIP : Goulding
Coach : Wright
6th man : Wilson

All NBL 5:
Clarke
Goulding
Ennis
Young
D Johnson

Second 5:
D Martin
Ervin
Abercrombie
Conklin
Ogilvy

Third 5:
Markovic
Beal
Blanchfield
Vukona
??? nobody qualifies for the 3rd centre!

Reply #463173 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Adelaide have only achieved what was expected of such a talented roster.

Reply #463174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilkinson is the third centre.

Reply #463175 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Still means he is the wooden spoon coach then, doesn't it."
So?

"the core of the 36ers team was still there....(Ervin, Frye/Carter, Anthony, Teys are the ONLY Additions this year"
The Wildcats added Ennis, Beal, Burdon, Muo/U'u, Jervis. That's two starters and a guy who started most of the year, and five players overall. Your "more stable" Sixers added one starter, and four players overall.

"ervin was the missing link for the team that plus a better game plan (Coach)..."
So anybody better than Marty Clarke should win coach of the year? Eight-way tie it is, then.

"To go from last to second with pretty much the same team is a great feat"
Adding a league MVP makes it a pretty bloody different team, even if that were the only change.

"i agree Gordie has been unlucky at times in the past and probably has deserved it but this year Wright has to be very short priced favourite..."
Rubbish.

Reply #463176 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

All-NBL teams are two backcourt/three frontcourt, IIRC. You don't need a third true centre.

Reply #463177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three perimeter, two frontcourt in the past but may have changed. That method favours players like Redhage and Worthington who can be either.

Reply #463181 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Adelaide have only achieved what was expected of such a talented roster.
We expected good things of them in past years too. Wright has been a big part of the improvement but I would still be leaning towards Gordie. Worth remembering that he picked two stand-out imports and then lost one of them before the season even started.

Reply #463182 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wright for mine, comfortably.

Adelaide were wooden spooners the past two years with a really poor culture, game style, defence ... you name it. Sure he upgraded the roster, but that's part of good coaching, and he has them playing to their strengths.

Reply #463197 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I can see it the other way with Wright and Adelaide though. They completely underachieved in the past few seasons. He just did what was kind of expected from them. They were definitely not a bad team on paper last season.

Gleeson's team coached itself, sometimes not even that well. He did get half a new team to top of the table quite comfortably.

Anstey.....na, too inconsistent. Same with Heal.

If the Hawks make the four, it's Geordie's award. A streak like that while missing an import is outstanding in this close league.

Reply #463198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks

Low budget, limited depth. Shouldn't really be able to win games when injuries hit.

Summers leaves, major setback although plugged quite quickly.

Davidson misses time. Stumble a little, essentially tread water.

Demos misses time, not a major thing.

Tiggs misses time. 3rd in the league in PER according to http://lobpasstoabercrombie.com/player-metrics/
They don't miss a beat.

This roster should have finished last. They make playoffs and Geordie is coach of the year (even if they don't he still should get it).

Reply #463203 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, I don't think you can judge Gordie's grasp on COTY on this Hawks-Kings game which is what it will likely come down to.

Reply #463205 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Adelaide were wooden spooners the past two years with a really poor culture, game style, defence ... you name it. Sure he upgraded the roster, but that's part of good coaching, and he has them playing to their strengths."
But again, if the bar is 'better than Marty Clarke', more people clear it than don't.

Reply #463211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rotnei Clarke has more to do with the Hawks winning than Gordie

Reply #463212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice post guy.

With limited depth Geordie plays Demos 20 minutes a game.

Demos plays hard and tries on D, although he shoots the dreaded under 40% from the field, under 30% from 3 and under 70% from the line. Yikes....

I'm not sure if he would average 20 minutes a game on some of the stronger seabl teams.

#463212 How do you think Rot would have gone under Marty Clarke last year?

Geordie seems to get the best out of most of the players he coaches.

I can't really remember Ocsar's NZ stint although I don't think it was that successful. He is now extremely valuable in Geordie's system.

Trig played well under Geordie and used that to parlay into 2 well paid contracts while not performing to the same level since.

Demos is a rotation player in the nbl which I find amazing.

Gruber is a beast who no other club would look at.

Rhys Martin was looking like the best Australian based point guard last year until he went down with injury.

Geordie is one of the best we've seen coach on these shores.

Reply #463216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Oscars best year was whilst at NZ he hasn't matched that at the Hawks
Clarke's shooting has single handily won 3/4 games this season.
Hawks drop those games and they are on par with the Crocs
Gruber played NBL before joining the Hawks
Rhys Martin is well coveted by other NBL teams, he is a quality player that would be snapped up if he went to free agency

Reply #463222 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

IMO if you gave any of the current crop of NBL Coaches Adelaides roster you would see the same results if not better bar Heal who would cut a couple of players just to make life more difficult.

Reply #463242 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Forman has improved immensely at Wollongong and is a much better player than when at NZ.

For mine, you can speculate about what should have been in Adelaide in years' past, but it wasn't. It's not always easy to turn around a sinking ship, but Wright has done it spectacularly this season and I think that should be recognised.

With a game to play they have more wins than the past two seasons combined!

Reply #463246 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I agree with Koberulz and whilst I think the best coach this year has been Shawn Dennis with a basically pathetic squad that have been well outsized, injured and suspended and all the preseason issues of there even being a team and that culture up there seems as great (from the outside) as any other club in the league. Shawn won't win but he and his team have to go down as the greatest wooden spoon side in history.

Adelaide last year were talented (not sure if the extra year older should have benefitted this years squad as much as it perceivable had) but there was no confidence in seeing them get the victory and they found different ways of losing.

So to sum up I think that Dennis has been the best coach, Wright will win the coach of the year and Gleeson will have the last laugh as he walks away with the medal for coaching the championship side. Is that the Lindsay Gaze medal ? ( as I type I wonder if its the Brian Goordjian medal or even if he has anything named in his honour)

Reply #463248 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

No matter what, a wooden spoon coach can not win COTY, imagine how that looks, "the coach with the worst record in the NBL has won coach of the year" no way, i would be embarrassed for the League if that happened, Joey for the win!!!

Reply #463321 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think you can make that Clarke claim to discredit Gordie when he achieved similar results in the past after losing Hurdle, etc. Deleon got his numbers but his style of play was such that he hasn't come back anywhere in the league but the Hawks still had reasonable success that year.

Clarke's a great player but that roster on paper isn't exactly finals material.

Actually Oscars best year was whilst at NZ he hasn't matched that at the Hawks
His best year in NZ was 12.6 PPG and 6 RPG, relying on the three at 45% and attempting 222. Playing often out of position meant that foul trouble limited his impact (compare fouls/season from NZ years to Wollongong years - almost halved). He dropped back to 7.7 PPG and 2.7 RPG the next year.

Under Gordie, he was shifted to PF which seemed/seems like a smart move to me - less foul trouble means better availability. Had a career best 13.2 PPG with 6.3 RPG which got MIP that first year in Wollongong. Attempted 125 threes at 42% and played more of an inside game. Back to 51% from three the next year. Check the ratio of 3PA to 2PA in that best NZ year against the MIP year - far less reliant on the three. He's averaged double figures and played solid minutes in every year at Wollongong and they've generally beat expectations. NZ in those years he was there could be dangerous but didn't really get it done on the road and somewhat underperformed.

Reply #463338 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Can Te Rangi win ROY. I remember hearing that he could as it was his first fully contracted year (as he was only a DP in the past). He would be my pick.

Probably the only Breaker (ok I won't be too cruel)..probably one of very few Breakers who actually did their job for the team this season. Honestly, at the end of every game I found myself saying "This young kid is showing all these vets hows it done". His rebounding and work ethic was terrific.
Classic example was the Tigers game at Vector. He was exceptional in that game. Assists, scoring, rebounding, defence you name. Then, he didn’t get any burn in the last/starters came out and the energy was non-existant.

Reply #463345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey won't get it after the debacle in perth. Agree on Te rangi he is better than jervis Ellis and young

Reply #463346 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Gordie is an outstanding coach, but it is a myth that he has a poor roster.
Davidson excellent 5, Forman best 3 point shooting 4, Coenradd very solid and talented role guy, Martin outstanding Australian point guard. Clarke top three import. Tiggs excellent wing Grueber rock solid front court guy as Demos is to back court.
Very well balanced roster. Gordie excellent offensive system and a defense that is hard to play against (unless you can shoot)

Reply #463350 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The Perth "melee" will have zero impact on Joey winning or not winning the COTY award.

Reply #463351 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

There are only 4 realistic options for rookie of the year and you can throw a blanket over them statistically.

Minutes per game most to least:
Ellis (18), Jervis (17), Young (16), Te Rangi (13)

FG% highest to lowest:
Te Rangi, Jervis, Young, Ellis

3P% highest to lowest:
Te Rangi, Ellis, Jervis/Young

PPG highest to lowest:
Te Rangi, Jervis, Ellis, Young

RPG highest to lowest:
Jervis, Ellis, Young, Te Rangi

SPG highest to lowest:
Ellis, Young, Jervis, Te Rangi

Blocks highest to lowest:
Jervis, Young, Ellis, Te Rangi

I think it will comed down to Jervis and Te Rangi and Te Rangi will probably get it because he has played the least minutes to achieve his stats.

Reply #463386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AJ is leading the league in rebounds and blocks. I have him as the best rookie.

Reply #463404 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If Ogilvy was eligible I would have him down as top rookie for sure but I believe he's not.
I still think Jervis might win, he made the most of Knight's injury.
Te Rangi has huge upside at only 19 and I think he will become a great player in this league.

Reply #463406 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Check out the pickandroll.com.au end of season

NBL 2013/14: End Of Season Awards

Good discussion piece.

Reply #463407 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"If Ogilvy was eligible I would have him down as top rookie for sure but I believe he's not."
He is under last year's criteria, but one would hope the NBL has changed that. Imports ought to be eligible too, IMO.

Reply #463409 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Imports should not be eligible for Rookie of the Year. Or one would win every single year. Imports are picked from the entire world of players to choose from. And are usually among the highest paid and most used players on a team. Whereas Australian rookies usually get paid bugger all and also usually only get role player minutes, unless they are a special talent, in which they deserve to win RotY.

Reply #463410 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Imports should not be eligible for Rookie of the Year. Or one would win every single year."
There aren't even rookie imports every year.

"Imports are picked from the entire world of players to choose from."
So?

Reply #463417 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Why should imports be eligible?

Reply #463418 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Imo they should keep ROY for best aussie/kiwi player just my opinion tho we're not all going to agree.

Reply #463420 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why shouldn't they? Alternatively, why should they be eligible for MVP, etc?

Reply #463421 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I wish people would stop posting while I'm typing.

Reply #463422 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

LMAO

Reply #463428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of those blokes on that pick and roll site put Jamar Wilson in his All-NBL 2nd team, ahead of Gibson and Beal. Wow.

Reply #463429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wish people would stop posting while I'm typing."

Wow get over yourself honey.

Reply #463587 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754