Shells
Years ago

Finals Fixturing

Once again the NBL does it POORLY !!
Finals fixtures released for the Wildcats and what do we get?? That's right Perth fans the crappiest days....Thursday, Monday????
As a member that travels 2 hr each way to EVERY HOME GAME.... It is impossible to do this on these days, it hard enough on a Friday night...

GET IT RIGHT NBL!!

Topic #33970 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

Venue availability, avoiding AFL clashes & not having 8 days between games seems to be the criteria they have set for this years finals series.

Although Monday isn't really ideal, We have had a few Thursday games this season so that isn't really that far from the norm anyway.

Reply #463125 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

If you came 2nd then you would get a mid weekend home final.... Adelaide would gladly swap if you like……… Travel time needs to be considered especially being Finals rounds 2 days is needed, it is what it is so accept it and love that your team are minor premiers with a fair shot at the premiership……… Perspective please...

Reply #463131 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perth Arena is booked for an entire weekend in early April, so they don't have much choice without taking a two-week break for no reason.

And, as pointed out above, avoiding the AFL is a good idea.

Reply #463147 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Avoiding the AFL has to be the most important factor. The league really loses any momentum it has when the AFL starts up. I don't care what night the games are on as long as its live (or near live) on TV and there is no clash with the AFL - Only from a media attention point of view.

Reply #463152 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"As a member that travels 2 hr each way to EVERY HOME GAME.... It is impossible to do this on these days, it hard enough on a Friday night...

GET IT RIGHT NBL!!"

The NBL did get it right. You, choosing to live 2 hours from the city, got it wrong.

Reply #463154 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

It takes me about ten minutes to walk to the Arena from home. Or if I stick around after work and have several beers in the city, it takes me two. And I'm nicely toasted by the time the game starts.

Good job NBL and Wildcats.

Reply #463155 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

When are the finals in Adelaide?
I haven't seen any finals fixtures yet?

Reply #463186 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Gee the NBL does its best to come across as an amateur league. Received the following from the Wildcats. Obviously there is a venue issue at either Sydney or Wollongong. Its hard to imagine any other national sporting code lurch from uncertainty to crisis and back again like the NBL does on a regular basis. Now we start buying tickets tomorrow for a game on an unknown date.

Good Afternoon,

Due to potential venue availability issues with our Semi-final opponent please be advised that the Semi-final dates are not confirmed and a change to the date previously advised via post and email may occur.

Please see below the two Semi-final date scenarios:

Scenario One:
Semi-final Game One - Perth Arena: Thursday 27 March: Tip-off: 7:35pm
Semi-final Game Three – Perth Arena: Monday 31 March: Tip-off: 7:35pm

Scenario Two:
Semi-final Game One – Perth Arena: Friday 28 March: Tip-off: 7:35pm
Semi-final Game Three – Perth Arena: Tuesday 1 April: Tip-off 7:35pm

You will be notified as soon as one of the above scenarios has been confirmed by the NBL.

The notification of this change may occur after the member on sale period has begun however we encourage you to still purchase your tickets during this period to avoid missing out.

The member on sale period will go ahead from 9am WST Wednesday 19 March until 12 noon WST Friday 21 March.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, however we hope to see you dressed in RED at our first Semi-final game of the NBL Final Series.

Reply #463206 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Considering the NBL clubs play at multipurpose venues, clashes are sometimes unavoidable. I think they're doing the right thing by giving as much notice as possible.

Reply #463209 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You'd think they'd at least have the pre-sale last until Saturday, so people can buy tickets while knowing when the game is.

Reply #463221 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

How many members are really going to decide whether or not they are going to any finals game depending on the day its being played.

I know it would take something very significant to make me not go.

Reply #463224 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"How many members are really going to decide whether or not they are going to any finals game depending on the day its being played."
People who have other things on, or young children.

Reply #463234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, just be grateful your team made finals. Loads of fans around the country would love to at least have the opportunity to see their team in a final LIVE or TELECAST. We can't always have things our own way. If we get what we want someone else might not. PLEASE EVERYONE DON'T RESPOND ANY MORE TO THIS SELFISHNESS This is how life rolls for many, it's not life or death.

Reply #463252 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"lurch from uncertainty to crisis and back again"

I agree. How dare they not know the exact finals dates before the season is finished.

Reply #463254 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

"People who have other things on, or young children."

I don't often have other things to do on a Thursday or Monday night apart from unwind from work anyway. Tuesday I play social basketball but would definitely miss it for a Wildcats game. Friday/Saturday/Sunday games would pose more of threat for clashes with events, especially in sleepy Perth.

My point was, what else could a member have on that they would rank higher than a finals game?

Young children I don't really understand either, I have a 8 month old and haven't missed a game all season, family are pretty good and free baby sitters.

Reply #463276 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think its quite ordinary for the club to not consider every individual member's personal needs and accommodate each and every one of them when choosing a game night and for ticket purchasing.

Reply #463278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is with the Kings as SEC is booked on Friday and Saturday. So if Kings make it Game 2 would have to be on Sunday pushing back Game 3 to Tuesday. At least it could work out as then Wildcats Game 1 would be on Friday and Game 2 is on Sunday and not random midweek games. So that way Friday and Sunday are double headers and potentially Tuesday as well.

If Hawks make it the original dates apply which means more random weekdays used.

Reply #463287 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Do perth members have to buy game 1 and 3 tickets at the same time? When is the pre sale for game 3 finish if needed? Hope there is a game 3! Dont want the season to end! + Nba play games every day, ii go any time and nbl should look at more games on any night, one and ten dont care any way they still put games on when they want.

Reply #463293 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"My point was, what else could a member have on that they would rank higher than a finals game?"
Work? Some other event they've already paid significant amounts of money to attend?

"Young children I don't really understand either, I have a 8 month old and haven't missed a game all season, family are pretty good and free baby sitters."
If your kid were old enough to attend games, and had its own membership, though...

Reply #463361 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Do perth members have to buy game 1 and 3 tickets at the same time? When is the pre sale for game 3 finish if needed?"
That info should be in the letter you got. Pretty sure game three pre-sale finishes Saturday, which may be before game two depending on which team finishes fourth.

The price gets refunded if there's no game three.

Reply #463362 | Report this post

Shells  
Years ago

Attention| THE SITUATION

RE: "As a member that travels 2 hr each way to EVERY HOME GAME.... It is impossible to do this on these days, it hard enough on a Friday night...

GET IT RIGHT NBL!!"

The NBL did get it right. You, choosing to live 2 hours from the city, got it wrong.

You are an absolute IDIOT!! I choose to live 2 hrs fro. The city - what a moron!! There is life outside of Perth you know! And some jobs require you to live outside of Perth - which with out this we would not be able to pay foe the membership.... My point is to put MORE THOUGHT INTO THE FIXTURING.... I have been a member since the early 90's... When games were on the weekend... Which is ideal.......How many Saturday games have we had this season?? NONE?!!! Perth is not the be a.l and end all of the Wildcats!!!

How selfish of you.... I thought Wildcats fans stuck together - clearly your just a stuck up city slicker....

Reply #463427 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"And some jobs require you to live outside of Perth"
Take a different job.

"with out this we would not be able to pay foe the membership"
What category of membership do you have?

"My point is to put MORE THOUGHT INTO THE FIXTURING"
They've managed to minimise clashes with AFL, other NBL games, and other events at NBL venues. They've put as much thought into it as they need to. What would you prefer, that they play the grand final two months from now and get buried by the AFL just so five extra people can go to the three or four Wildcats home games, which will likely sell out anyway?

"How many Saturday games have we had this season?? NONE?!!! Perth is not the be a.l and end all of the Wildcats!!!"
They haven't been called the Westate Wildcats since 1983. Their entire strategy the past couple of years has been Friday night games targeting those that live and work in the CBD, and as a result the lowest Perth Arena crowd is still higher than the highest crowd at any other NBL venue over the same time period. Why, exactly, would anyone at the Wildcats alter what is clearly a tremendously successful strategy? Why would they push for games to be on nights when they cannot be on TV? Why would the NBL and Network Ten turn down the opportunity to broadcast up to 14 games a year live into the eastern states on top of the already-live Sunday games?

Reply #463434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The club sold out the fans - no Saturday nights anymore and also no Friday night traditional timeslot of 7:30pm get rid of the early 6:30pm! - TV is dictating way too much nowadays

Reply #463586 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, that they're only getting 11,000 people to each game is a disgrace.

The Friday night timeslot has little to do with TV. The non-TV games were initially scheduled for 6.30 tipoffs as well last year, and they moved it to 7pm when people complained. They're trying to get people who work in the CBD to head to the game; a late timeslot doesn't fit within that strategy.

Reply #463590 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754