Question!
Years ago

36ers Semi-Final date, potential clash with juniors

Strong rumours going around the 36ers first semi-final will be held on Friday March 28th.

If this date is correct, is BSA likely to postpone these junior games?

Or will they refuse to reschedule the games due to the 'short notice' given? Surely BSA would reschedule the junior games and allow all the players/families/officials to attend the first semi-final the 36ers have been in almost 10 years?!

Will common sense prevail, or will BSA hold firm?

Topic #33983 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBL and 36ers are stupid enough to schedule a Friday Semi at a venue they can use any day/night they want, knowing there is a clash then who should really be to blame here?

Reply #463292 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Serious question - Why are junior games held on Friday nights anyway? To me that seems like a terrible time to schedule anything. Don't people (including families with kids) do other things on Friday and Saturday nights - more so than other night of the week, causing plenty of commitment clashes?

Wouldn't Saturday morning to afternoon be better suited for this?

Reply #463295 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saturday has an AFL showdown in Adelaide, so that would be suicidal. Some of it may hinge on availability in Perth so they don't run two games on one night.

Reply #463296 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I think Wildcat Fan meant why is junior ball on Friday night? It's the nature of the beast. There are so many junior district teams that games are played all day Saturday and most evenings. Remembering of course that most juniors are attending school and/or uni all through their junior years. I would have thought each state suffers the same issues with junior district ball and even social ball for that matter. It's just that the level of commitment is greater for district - one game plus two trainings a week and pretty much every long weekend for tournaments. So it's the juniors, their parents and all the coaches etc who are impacted by NBL scheduling.

Reply #463302 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I think Wildcat Fan meant why is junior ball on Friday night? It's the nature of the beast. There are so many junior district teams that games are played all day Saturday and most evenings. Remembering of course that most juniors are attending school and/or uni all through their junior years. I would have thought each state suffers the same issues with junior district ball and even social ball for that matter. It's just that the level of commitment is greater for district - one game plus two trainings a week and pretty much every long weekend for tournaments. So it's the juniors, their parents and all the coaches etc who are impacted by NBL scheduling.

Reply #463303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The games go late on Friday nights, meaning they couldn't be scheduled during the week. Would be bad for a Southern under 18 player to play at the starplex on a Friday night 9:45 tip off, finish at 11, out the gym by 11:15 after coaches speech, and get back home at 1 am, to do a day of year 12 the next day. Or for example I have kids from renmark playing in my team. They couldn't do the same In reverse (play at Southern at 945) or they would get home at 3 am and start school the next morning, and parents work etc etc. Fridays is the most practice night for juniors

Reply #463305 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Interesting perspective, thanks for that. Im not sure what it is in Perth, but I remember playing junior ball at Perry Lakes on Saturday afternoons. I don't know if they play on Friday's though. Going by the attendances at Perth games, I don't think they do!

I'd say avoiding an AFL game would be far more significant than avoiding junior games, so maybe the Sixers had to choose between one or the other.

Reply #463309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or will they refuse to reschedule the games due to the 'short notice' given? Surely BSA would reschedule the junior games and allow all the players/families/officials to attend the first semi-final the 36ers have been in almost 10 years?!

I'm sure there are more than 6000 Players/families and officials involved in friday night juniors.....not everyone can go you know!!!

Reply #463310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the crowd for the 36ers game when it clashed earlier in the year with juniors. I think you will find it was quite high.

How many juniors would end up going to the 36ers if there was not a clash. I believe not as many as what people think!

Reply #463324 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I would imagine that Network 10 has the biggest say in when these games are held.

Reply #463333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fri night is Div 1/2
U12 to 18s

Sat morning is all U10 and U12/14 Div 3/4, etc plus Aussie hoops and Domestic leagues. Schools with courts like Unley Immanuel etc run social junior ball so it is not as you all think. There is ball happening all over and trainings in between at all clubs and schools are multi sport facilities. So you can't just shift Div 1/2 to Sat. As with catch ups it needs to be Sundays and needs to replace the trainings at facilities. Thats how it goes in SA for those that dont really know how it runs.

Reply #463358 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I would imagine they don't. Venue availability would be the primary concern.

It's not like the games will be on TV within five hours of happening anyway.

Reply #463359 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Previous post is a response to skip.

Reply #463360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers final now confirmed for Friday night. Question is now whether or not BSA will reschedule the games to allow fans, players, spectators, officials to have a chance at attending the first semifinal in 7-8 years....

Please BSA, take a common sense approach to this!

Reply #463382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not from SA or Vic which is another state that does Friday night junior basketball.

Really strange to me as how can kids play their game on Friday after being tired from school. Why not Saturday or Sunday? All junior sport generally have the game on the weekend and trainings weekdays.

I know in Vic they have the actual junior game on Friday night and training on Sunday (is it the same in SA?). Hearing about it made me feel like I was in the Twilight Zone. Weird.

Reply #463393 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

36ers final now confirmed for Friday night.
Not true. It could be on the Thursday if Sydney get through over Wollongong.

Reply #463397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney are really annoying aren't they. I thought Heal was bad enough but then they have their arena booked out the whole weekend and all the other clubs that are higher seeds have to wait and see because the don't have their house in order.

Reply #463569 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Tigers are saying their home game is now Sunday so it seems like Adelaide will be on Friday regardless of the Wollongong/Sydney scenario.

Reply #463583 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Sydney are really annoying aren't they. I thought Heal was bad enough but then they have their arena booked out the whole weekend and all the other clubs that are higher seeds have to wait and see because the don't have their house in order."
You do realise the Kings don't own the venue, right?

Reply #463591 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

doesnt matter if the numbers are still good even when there is a clash people should be given the option to attend if the wish
i want to attend the game but if juniors are on ill have to go to that
considering this is a basketball final the basketball community should be the ones attending

Reply #463637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My kids don't mind when we ditch juniors as they love the Sixers. But a lot of kids I've noticed have no idea about NBL which is a shame as the exposure is very poor for our pro league.

Reply #463953 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754