B0b
Years ago

Madgen and Garlepp Re-sign for two years

http://www.sydneykings.com/article/id/1g0dp7z1wfhhk11wjoe86pb6dk

Topic #33991 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Great news! Two very likeable and hard-working players.

Reply #463504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really on topic, although I would like to see Hammer play Young at the 4 more in small ball lineups.

Young attacking bigger 4's with a few more shooters around him seems like his perfect role in this league.

Well perhaps it is on topic as that move would mean Garlepp would need to be on the bench more.

Reply #463509 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Garlepp has improved this year and Madgen has had a great year imo. Good news for the kings

Reply #463512 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Great for them to get Madgen wrapped up quickly & not a bad move with Garlepp too given his improvement & the possibility of other clubs chasing him if the expansion goes ahead.

Reply #463513 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Madgen's averaging 19p at 48% on threes the past 10 games, looks like he is back to his best.

Reply #463516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news for the Kings,

I know it would probably not happened anyway, but Madgen would have been a major target for me if DJ leaves for Europe, he is very different but fills a need for the 36ers with his outside shooting. Assuming DJ is on good $$ now, i would have thrown that at Madgen.

I would have been aiming for

Schenscher/? actually Garlepp would have been ok here aswell
Petrie/Anthony
Madgen/Creek
Gibson/Carter
Ervin/Cadee (or Daly if he leaves)

if points cap goes, could grab a import Will Hudson style to back up pf/c and that woulda been a awesome team and not lost alot losing DJ.

Ahwell, was probably me dreaming anyway.

Well done Madgen and Garlepp (2 guys i wish the 36ers snapped up/kept) and the Kings in signing them early

Any news on guys like Creek, who i think is out of contract, is he looking at re-signing before the end of the season?

Reply #463521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree I was hoping the Sixers might try to bring back Madgen if as expected DJ goes to Europe next season.

Reply #463531 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Yep good Kings' news.
Both guys getting married in the preseason so some stability in their lives, all round.

Reply #463534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Madgen just signed a shoe deal with Peak too, joining Tony Parker & Shane Battier on their roster.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/rankings-24--and-not-much-more/

Reply #463546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With a coaching change at the Kings the new coach may not want these two. Amateur hour continues in Sydney.

Reply #463565 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You don't let important players go just because of a coaching change. Pretty much all new coaches inherit parts of the roster and if they can't manage that they're probably not much of a coach.

Reply #463571 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I agree with Paul.
I would hardly call the signing of Garlepp and Madgen amateur hour especially Madgen.
Its only amateur hour imo if Ben Allen is retained.

Reply #463574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen good Garlepp not sure.

Reply #463576 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Man, if the 36ers went out and got Madgen it would be downright scary.

I think the 36ers should not re-sign Ervin and give the reigns to Gibbo (can't really do that if they win the title this year).

But imagine allocating Ervin’s money to 2 key areas: 1) Shooting and 2) Rebounding interior defence.

If only the 36ers got Madgen and they built a lineup like this:

Gibson/Cadee
Madgen/McCarron or cheap College returnee
Creek/ James Harvey?
Petrie/ Anthony
Ogilvy (only on a 1 year deal in Sydney?)/cheap Import (as Mystro said maybe Rogers)

Obviously it won’t work with Madgen already signing with Sydney. What about throwing the cash at Ced and pushing Gibson to the SG spot. Only issue is that it doesn't really address the shooting dilemma (though Harvey might)

On a side note, and irrelevant to this topic somewhat, I think Goulding is certainly off to Europe after this season. He has a UK passport.

I don’t think the Tigers would be too upset as there is a clause built in his contract (of course) that any European club would have to pay the club a significant amount for the buy-out.

Reply #463606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whether it was with the Kings or elsewhere it's good to see Madgen staying in the NBL. Unless Goulding gets a really good overseas offer that benefits his development (and is also good for the Tigers' coffers) it'd be nice if he also stayed. With Penney rumoured to be returning to the Breakers this could be a really strong season for SGs.

Reply #463613 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Would like to see Kings retain Harvey and Gleeson.
Altho originally said to to be Heal's boys, that can hardly be repeated now. Mostly the opposite.
Since Harvey's reduced training sessions, he appears to be omitted from the game plan altho has had some extra minutes here and there. No plays set. Gleeson's injuries never got him a chance, even when ready to go.

Madgen doing a great PR job off the court but Harvey's the one with leadership skills at game time and when times are tough.

Sign Cadee. Cannot believe his bad luck in trying to get a leading opportunity. Adelaide signing Gibbo was great for them but shoved Jason back down the bench, again.
How far will these signings go before the coach signs also? Or is the preferred coach, who ever he will be, being consulted anyway? Can it work this way?

Reply #463619 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Amateur hour continues in Sydney

Mark up another idiot anon post... It's great to see these two very quality players (and people) re-signed... If nothing else, it's great to see that the Kings management are thinking ahead to the next season instead of this whole "we won't do anything until after the season has ended" rubbish... A great core to build on with Ben, Cody & Tommy...

Would like to see Kings retain Harvey and Gleeson.

My immediate reaction is "you're mental!" but Harvey, if used correctly, could still POSSIBLY be viable, but only if the points system is abolished, as at 7pts, he's over priced and really hampers the team building a deeper roster with only 10 players (instead of our usual 11). I agree with Gleeson never really getting a chance, in his very very few limited minutes he did ok as a back up back up... However if I can get my dream team (see below, since we're making them already :) ) then he will not be required...

Sign Cadee. Cannot believe his bad luck in trying to get a leading opportunity.

Cannot agree more. Would be great to have him back home, would hopefully tie in the western sydney fans more to have a wider appeal to the greater (physical, not quality wise ;) ) part of Sydney... I really don't know if he's 100% ready for a starting role yet though... My main PG target would be Damo and have Jason as the third guard in the rotation... He's proven he can hit the outside shot, so it's viable that minutes can be spread with Damo, Cadee and Madgen at the 3 if needs be... I know I'm greedy, but the time is primed to be able to get two of NSWs best guards back in the fold... There won't be another chance to do it again any time soon I would wager...

As for signings without a coach, there are some in the Kings ownership group that I think would fancy themselves as fantasy GMs, but hopefully they don't get carried away... We saw what happened with Bob Turner picked too many players when they returned and offered too long deals to players that might not should have gotten them...

Players being re-signed has given me faith that the Kings are being active and while the writing is on the wall for Shane, I have a feeling that they will be going with someone else next season... Hopefully if they ARE going with someone, they might have committed to them and they are being involved... I think if they sign other players other than starters, that might be a bit more obvious, but I think any new coach would be ok with the current re-signings... Either way, they won't be able to ink a new coach until the season is well and truly over...

Ok, so for my ultimate wish list/realistic team...

Damo / Cadee
Madgen* / 1pt player if cap is still in, or White
Import / Ellis*
Peach / Garlepp*
AJ / Brandt

* - Already signed for next season

I think AJ returning comes down to who is the coach... I think you ask anyone and Bevo would be the top of everyones list... If he comes over, I think AJ will stay and no doubt become and even better player...

Damo is turning 30 soonish, there's no doubt he will be able to have a much longer career than 3 years, but he's got to start thinking where he wants to raise a family, how close he wants to be to his own family, Sydney, if the money is right, will provide some good options, but it will be mighty hard to drag him away from what an awesome situation that the Wildcats can provide...

Cadee I think is a better chance of coming home, but I still don't think he's really ready to lead the team... Nate did it pretty well for the Tigers this season, I wouldn't mind him coming back home either, but he seems pretty solidly placed in the Tigers...

Peach has been in Sydney before and I think moreso than Damo needs to think long term... He deserves a three year deal instead of all this one year option and moving his family around stuff...

If the points cap is still in place, that all fits in I think, doesn't have to be a flashy import, more to be able to fill a role like Tiggs or even Pace...

Reply #463706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Peach has been in Sydney before and I think moreso than Damo needs to think long term... He deserves a three year deal instead of all this one year option and moving his family around stuff..."

Petrie signed a 2+1 year deal with the 36ers in 2012.

Reply #463710 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Garlepp did some great things tonight, was almost money whenever they went to him in the high post.

Reply #463751 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Rebounding wasn't one of them though Paul.

Mind you, "the best centre in the league" was even worse.

Reply #463755 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hard to rebound when you're scrambling to shooters on rotations. Kings needed to take some more risks defensively I thought so their "out-of-shapeness" when chasing shooters was at least predictable to them.

Reply #463766 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW - Sydney smashed the Hawks on the boards, so wouldnt not really an area to criticise particular players on.

Reply #463767 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha! I take that back, read the wrong column!

Reply #463768 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:07 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754