Anonymous
Years ago

SEABL round1

Pioneers beat Ballarat 75-66 at home.

Pioneers missing 4 starters, yes that's right 4! Ballarat were only missing Kris Blicavs I think so it might be a long year for the miners. Pioneers shared it around as is there way a number of 17 year olds getting some decent minutes and holding there own and 15 year who also got some decent minutes and certainly didn't look out of place, might be some reasonable futures for them.

Topic #34009 | Report this topic

JMc  
Years ago

Super impressive win considering the players out. If the 4 missing guys come back fit and firing all season Mt G will be right there once again.

Reply #463777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Miners wouldn't win big v div 1.. They are woeful

Reply #463794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben dowdell? That's another good pick up for them, going to be a very good team when everyone is back!,

Reply #463817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben doe fell very impressive!

Reply #463823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That should have been Ben dowdell very impressive

Reply #463824 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nice to see Ben has seen the light!

Reply #463833 | Report this post

GM1  
Years ago

How did the Miner's imports look?

Reply #463836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, seen the light or had a power outage in the other room?

Reply #463841 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hahaha!

Reply #463843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very solid first game back for him though. With expansion could we see him in the NBL soon?

Reply #463845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Franga fails

Reply #463973 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Frankston has its starting 5 and thats it.Chuck is finished as an import but very handy as an aussie.Pity the club wouldnt listen to Al.

Reply #463976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chuck naturalised the other day so room now for another import.

Reply #463984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kilsyth huge win over Sandringham and still to add to roster! Cobras back!!

Reply #463985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North West Tasmania may have the best import in the league!
Jenkins 31pts 5reb 6ast 4stl impressive start!

Reply #463987 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

A very impressive performance from Jenkins but I'd hold off on any best import in the league assessment until he's played a few tougher teams.

Early days yet but Bandits looking very average in their first game.

Reply #463989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Miners imports nothing special. The bigger decided it would be a good idea to blow kisses to the crowd in the second quarter after he made a foul shot! Wtf in every venue I have attended the crowd cheers to try and put the opposing team off their shot. Think he thought he was a lot better than he is time will tell I guess but it was a poor attitude.

Reply #463992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you need money to buy another import

Reply #463994 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Frankston wont be getting another import unless they win tattslotto or rob a bank.

Reply #463999 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

North West Tasmania Thunder smashed Knox and take their roadtrip 2-0 behind 36/7/5 from import (and former NBA D Leaguer) BJ Jenkins.

Locked in player of the week easily.

First time Tas have swept a road trip in years.

Reply #464027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rangers lose by 19 to the Chargers.

Reply #464030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spartans belted.
NWT beating the potential bottom 2 sides isn't a biggie.

Reply #464043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No dq for dandenomg is he injured?

Reply #464052 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Knee injury for DQ.

Reply #464057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spectres are good now. That is kind of scary.

Reply #464058 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Franga will not move forward in the short term. Letting Al walk was a huge mistake - no disrespect meant to Simon G a good young coach in the making.

Reply #464067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty hard to get a handle on the league after round one with many teams playing under strength. Of note though...

1. BJ Jenkins at NWT was player of the week by a MILE! 33.5ppg 6.0rpg 5.5apg wow. He led his team to two road wins over Albury and Knox
2. Kilsyth continue their pre-season form with a huge 100-66 win over Sandringham
3. Hobart getting two road wins over Frankston and Dandenong.

Reply #464163 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Frankston is going down the path of promoting from within which is great but they will be anchored to the bottom 4 for the next 2-3 years. Is the board prepare to wear that only time will tell.

Reply #464169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spectres play NWT on Saturday night and Hoabrt Friday night. Won't have to wait long

Reply #464182 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Below are a few of my observations from round 1??

NWT - good start, Jenkins came out firing.

CoE – Love the concept but chalk up the points for whoever is playing them

Spectres – Look solid but without Kenny & Tey's Brisbane lack depth so not sure I’d read to much into this result.

Brisbane – will be pretty good once all plays are back on deck

Sandy – Import Goins is undersized and out of shape! Moore looks "ok" but is going to be streaky so not sure if he fits the group. Overall they look in trouble....might be a transition year for them as the kids aren’t ready to perform week to week in this league.

MT G – Solid first up will be around the mark pending how the NBL guys come up this year

Miners – Will struggle this year…the local talent just isn’t good enough

Kilsyth – Bit like Nunawading - Look solid but really need to wait until they play a better team before passing judgement on them.

Geelong – Deep and close to best front court in the league…..they were expected to dominate on the weekend and did….

Bendigo – They lack depth and the imports/Vigor are on the same level as last years “big 3”…so wouldn’t surprise me to see them miss the play-offs.

Reply #464199 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

I'm always dubious about judging NWT's success at home when every team they play has been softened up by Hobart the night before. I'd bet every team in the league would love all of their home games to be against teams on the back end of a road double.

Some positive indicators for both Apple Isle teams from the weekend but it's still very early days yet.

Interesting to see Gynes putting some good numbers on the board for Geelong against his old club.

Reply #464204 | Report this post

sportsfan  
Years ago

interesting lot of results for round 1

in the womens Knox playing well without there big 2 (Gabe Richards & Kelly Wilson)

Seabl Men

NW Tassie looked good over Knox

Knox were without Carter , Doyle & the 2 imports

Reply #464209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CoE had a baptism of fire first up against a team as good as the Supercats, even without Herbert. Also noticed a couple of out for the CoE team, if they can get a win this season they should celebrate it.

Reply #464220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CoE will compete with teams in patches but with 7 of the 12 players being still u17 level, they will be playing for the experience. It's great to see them back and the kids will be better for it. SEABL and it's clubs should be congratulated for allowing them to play in the league.

Reply #464224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought it was good to see Gynes fitting in nicely at Geelong. His stats were pretty horrible last year and I was a little suspect of the signing.

If he continues to play like he did on the weekend Geelong will be very tough to beat this year.

Reply #464279 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

Gynes is a much better player than his stats at Canberra sometimes showed. I don't think he was ever really happy there. He is capable of putting up big scores and is an aggressive rebounder, probably comparable to Hill in terms of his ability. He had a few great games with the Kings and many thought he deserved to be re-signed ahead of White.

Reply #464281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Mt Gambier can win without 4 starters then look out league!

Reply #464357 | Report this post

The Fog  
Years ago

Look out for Rangers women. 8 or 9 players with WNBL experience.

Reply #464361 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Weekly round wrap up now online at AndThefoul.net:

http://andthefoul.net/archives/8175

Reply #464367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If MtGambier can only beat Ballarat by 9 points with out 4 starters who cares.

Reply #464382 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Round 1 recap is now up on PnR:

SEABL Round 1: Road Teams Revel as the CoE Picks Up a Debut Win

PnR has you covered for SEABL and all state leagues this year.

Reply #464498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be an idea to say that the CoE women's side picked up a win.

Reply #464511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like you care to bother using your valuable time and high intelligence to make comment...

Reply #464522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJ Jenkins is a potential NBL import, NWT may be the Albury of 2012.

Reply #464696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes played 2 games against a terrible Albury side and an undermanned Knox side. Albury did have Jazz and MoMo then. Both great players in their own right. Who is the NWT 2nd import?

Reply #464717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree,his highlights of the weekend looked like he was playing against kids, can play, but not at NBL level.

Reply #464726 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

Yes, Knox looked like a rabble in that highlight video & the Bandits defence often leaks like a sieve too. There have been a few imports in recent years who've looked the goods with impressive performances early in the season but have not been able to sustain it during the season. I look forward to seeing more of Jenkins but he's got a way to go before I'd label him an NBL prospect & one good import does not make a championship team (even the Bandits still have one of their duo from 2012 but it didn't help them last weekend).

Reply #464731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The key to bandits success was Jazz. Dynamic combo guard who made others better around him by the attention he required.
Jenkins is much the same but an even better player as his shot selection and ability to create for others is better.
People spoke of Jazz being borderline NBL, Jenkins is better. NWT has done this before, Redhage dominated. Same story, "he's good but not NBL" people said. How did that work out?

Reply #464736 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

Yes, that's very true about Jazz.

I haven't written off Jenkins yet... just saying it's still early days so I'll reserve judgement until I've seen what happens once he's been scouted & played against tougher opposition.

Reply #464738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Redhage get saceked in NZ originally? Green was the HC?? Big Oops.
Ballinger got the flick too. Double oops. Wasnt that Wright?

Reply #464745 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Arsego was the coach at the time??

Reply #464749 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Good test for Jenkins this weekend taking on Mcdonald.Be interesting to see how he goes against Mercer later in the season.

Reply #464753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NWT fresh Spectres 2md time around with no Grrer or Creek, could be a great game

Reply #464766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where is round 2 preview?

Reply #464978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are meaning the weekly previews done by SEABL they aren't doing them this year - instead they are doing a preview for match of the round womens & men, rather than a full preview of the round.

http://www.seabl.com.au/index.php?id=257&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=9554&cHash=6b238bca4b

http://www.seabl.com.au/index.php?id=257&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=9553&cHash=662a5224b7

Reply #464995 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:37 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754