R.I.P. Robin Heslop

With great sadness I read today' of the passing of former BASA umpire Robin Heslop.

An umpire of Morphett Vale Social and District basketball in the 80s and 90s, I remember Robin as a friendly, funny guy with a lovely family who I still say hello to when I see them.

My deepest sympathies to Michelle, Kevin and families.

Rest in peace Robin, and thank you for great times as a young bloke growing up at the stadium.

Topic #34013 | Report this topic

Wayne  
Years ago

Played with Kevin had a bit to do with robin and pat. As a young player and umpire I learnt a lot.

Cancer is a bitch

Rip

Reply #463909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Pickles?

Reply #463923 | Report this post

My ex housemate is pickles. Duh!

Reply #463970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah but who is he

Reply #464103 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Rip, or something

Reply #464117 | Report this post

Played for NCT, then Sturt. 38. Brother was far better.

Reply #464185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bit harsh rip'ing into a dead person

Reply #464244 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Hmm POHM?? Went from Noarlunga to Sturt. Ben Osborne did that but he is older than 38. But also blew the whistle. hmmmm. ?SS ?LM
To be honest, I prefer not to know the person behind the alias, just having an alias gives us the people we read and the people we just skim over.

Robin was probably more popular as a District referee at Marion and then at Sturt. One of the faithful who ref'd for the Gnome. Some great times including many trips to Mildura, Melbourne and Broken Hill.

Thanks for your knowledge and dedication to the game Robin. Sadly missed

Reply #464418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember Robin from the Marion days. Was always cheerful and happy to chat all things basketball. And to talk with his referees about how they were progressing. Condolences to Michelle, Kevin and the rest of the family.

Reply #464449 | Report this post

FM - what's your vintage?

I didn't say I ever blew the whistle.

Osborne would be 40ish, and my bro played state with him.

No more clues, but keep guessing if you like.

Great to read some others comments remembering Robin too.

I knocked around with Kevin a bit, down the creek, and didn't live too far away.

Reply #464674 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754