NotJackToft
Years ago

CABL Round 2 Results

Women:

North 72 d West 67 (I picked North by 16)

North tried hard to throw this game away shooting 10 from 41 in the second half, but still managed to hold on. Hill and Peris the stars again with 18 points each. Nairn for West had 16 and 7 and Holland 11 and 11.

South 91 d Woodville 90 (I picked South by 9)

South stole this game in OT with a 3 on the buzzer after Woodville led for most of the game. Mahony was huge down the stretch and took control when she needed to, finishing with 20 points, 15 assists and almost rounded out the triple double with 9 turnovers. Howard was critical in the win with 38 points and 14 rebounds, and although hit the game winner, struggled to fire in the dying minutes when needed. Griffiths and Perkas were instrumental in the win, however 33 team turnovers won't see too many W's this season.

Norwood 91 d Southern 52 (I picked Norwood by 33)

Same same, but different team. Norwood forced 35 turnovers, with Lewis and Good doing most of the damage on the offensive end. Fisher was Southerns best with 23 points and 5 assists, however turned the ball over 10 times. Norwood had the hot hand all night, shooting 51% for the game.

Centrals 45 def by Forestville 92 (I picked Forestville by 25)

Ugly game for the Lions shooting 27% for the game. Wedding the only light with 8 points, 9 boards. Sharon fired the girls up this week, with the ever reliable Fergus with 19pts, 8reb, 5 ass, and Petrie with 21pts, 10reb and 7 ass.

Eastern 56 def by Sturt 99 (I picked Sturt by 13)

Sturt tallied the highest score this round, doing their best Sir Don impersonation. Shooting 52% for the game, the Sabres were led by Richards (24pts), Spalding (19pts), McPhail (18pts) - all in under 30 minutes of game time. Eastern weren't that far off the mark, they just couldn't make their shots, falling 15 behind and at 25% worse. Tarran and McDermott the only serious contributors.

5 out of 5 for the Women, however some bigger blowouts than expected.

Mens:

North 58 def by West 78 (I picked North by 6)

North dropping game 2 for the season, and struggling to make a shot. Shooting 32% for the game isn't the worst we have seen, but 7 from 34 in the first half, is just uncharacteristic. Down 44-20 at the half, they managed to win the 2nd half, but not enough to trouble the Bearcats. Pero and Mapunda combined for for 4/22, with Wernham (14pts, 10reb) finally getting it going, North managed to see some good offense. Braithwaite (17 & 6), Truslove (14 & 13) and Philips (12pts on 4/5 3's) were West's best. One has to think that West should have won by more, and giving up 10 extra shots and only 2 O boards, aren't the best signs going forward.

South 74 def by Woodville 96 (I picked Woodville by 34)

I feel like this game went as expected. Perhaps Woodville should have run away with it, as the bench players didn't see too many minutes. Starling continuing early season form with 29pts and 13reb, supported by Sims with 25pts and 8reb. South were led by Boal with 25pts and McKenzie 14pts. Robertson needs to find his 2013 form to help his team make a difference.

Norwood 80 def by Southern 82 (I picked Southern by 5)

Norwood were playing catch up by midway through the 2nd quarter, allowing 30pts in the period. Lycett couldn't hit the game tier on the buzzer, giving Southern their 2nd W for the season. The difference for the game, Southerns 9% better shooting clip. Krause, Jennings and Cobbing were the Flames best in a strong team game, however for Norwood to be contenders they need more form Lycett. Southern also had a great spread of contribution, Ellison, Williams, McDaniel, and Johns all doing their bit. If Florence gets going, and Smyth can up his game, Southern look dangerous on their night.

Centrals 95 def Forestville 75 (I picked Forestville by 22)

The Lions scored a solid win against the Eagles, through again the contribution of Clausen (18pts 7 reg), Miller (32pts, 5reb, 9ass) and Atkins (17pts) - three very familiar names. Mottram (18pts 9reb) and Gerlach (8 pts, 6reb, 4ass, 5stls) were the Eagles leaders. Rios had a night to forget - 1/14 in 19 minutes. Forestville shot 39% for the night and 13 more shots, however gave up 45% to the Lions, and 14 three balls, as well as only had 9 free throws to the Lions 23. Perhaps the Men will get Sharon at training this week...

Eastern 74 def by Sturt 89 (I picked Sturt by 24)

Certainly closer than I expected, however a 28-59 first half meant the Sabres could run the bench. The Mavs fought back hard winning the second half 46-30, with Sturt struggling to find the bottom of the net on 11/42. Scipio (18pts) and Dearman (14pts) were Easterns best, however bested by the efforts of Burns (12pts), Bauer (14pts) and Klaosen (17pts). One bad quarter by Eastern took the game away from them, but it shows their not too far off.

3 out of 5 for the Men - with 1 upset (centrals) and 1 disappointment (North)

Round 3

Sturt v North
Womens - North / Mens - Sturt

West v South
Womens - South / Mens - West

Centrals v Norwood
Womens - Norwood / Mens - Centrals

Southern v Eastern
Womens - Southern / Mens - Southern

Forestville v Woodville
Womens - Forestville / Mens - Woodville

Topic #34029 | Report this topic

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Love your work
Nice summary and 9/10 is good picking.

Reply #464287 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

NJT, good work! Keep it up!

Reply #464289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NICE STUFF :)

Reply #464290 | Report this post

Vodka 61  
Years ago

Thanks great job

Reply #464291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if you were at Mars like I was, but Krause had a shocker. Shooting stats back that up.

Reply #464293 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Wasn't at Mars, however did notice that Krause was 3/10, including 1/6 from 3.

However got to the line, and went 2/4 in the field, plus ripped 9 boards.

Says a bit about how Norwood played, if he was their best on the night.

And thanks, I will endeavour to keep this pace throughout the season.

Reply #464296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great guns Jack not a bad effort at all, great read.

Reply #464301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krause wasn't thier best at all. I had young Brodi Cobbing or Andrew Webber as their best.

Reply #464302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re: South vs Woodville "Griffiths and Perkas were instrumental in the win" .... Warriors lost.

Reply #464312 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

NJT, keep it rolling. We need someone to give a bit of a picture as to what is going on across all the ABL.
I wonder whether clubs have been able to find a media officer (volunteer) to assist BSA in promoting the ABL. If they have, I have not seen evidence of decent writeups, just short summaries with not much personality about them (or is that it!?)

Maybe I am asking for too much...........

Reply #464314 | Report this post

CABL NEDIA REP  
Years ago

When you ask people to do it for free your dreaming on getting quality.. BSA could surely afford to pay someone something for their time.
Where does teh money in the association go, where?

Reply #464329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'One has to think that West should have won by more, and giving up 10 extra shots and only 2 O boards, aren't the best signs going forward'.

I'll think you'll find NJT that West's men 2 O boards for the game was simply a stats error. Plus winning by 20 after clearing the bench in the last couple of minutes and the kids slightly increasing the lead was great to see. Taking more shots is not an indication a team is playing better.

Reply #464406 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

also losing josh knight with a broken hand (1 of the seniors and starting 5 on that team) and still winning by 20 points when most picked them to lose are actually good signs going forward

Reply #464438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What money does BSA make from CABL?

Reply #464446 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Lots......takes all Grand Final door takings for starters

Reply #464452 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Appreciate the feedback, good and bad.

Apologies for the few errors such as Woodville women winning.

I do the reviews etc only because I enjoy it, and the analysis that goes with it. I never proof read what I write, and just write as I go, hence the few glaring errors. I guess my brain was still thinking Woodville won... well at least should have!

"I'll think you'll find NJT that West's men 2 O boards for the game was simply a stats error. Plus winning by 20 after clearing the bench in the last couple of minutes and the kids slightly increasing the lead was great to see. Taking more shots is not an indication a team is playing better."

Always hard to do an analysis based on stats alone, as I usually go and catch a game most weeks. I agree taking more shots does not always indicate who is playing better, but my thoughts were that - plus only a supposed 2 offensive boards, was not a good trend. However learning of a stats error, certainly changes the perspective a little bit. However I still expected West to score more than 74 for the game.

Reply #464469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From my observation of game between West and North we won because:

1. West shooting better than North
2. Blake > Pero

Reply #464472 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great write-up again NJT! Want a gig??!!

Check out the PnR weekly write-up:

Central ABL Round 2: South women score thrilling OT win

Reply #464499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wests new import Jason dawson looks good too.

True PG who doesnt just want to score himself - fed a lot of Wests players throughout the night

Reply #464555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West locked nth down on D in the 1st half then pretty much putted along, Trustlove s D against Pero was excellent. That's why they won, playing good D. But North offence was terrible! They looked lost, hope they sort it out as they have a decent team

Reply #464708 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

NJT, great write up once again. As LC suggested. If you're interested in having your recaps published on one of Australia's premium basketball sites, The Pick and Roll, please email me at [email protected] and we'll have a chat to get you on board!

We'd love your input and I'm sure your readers would too! Cheers.

Reply #464817 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:50 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754