Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney Kings, where to now?

Such a disappointing season. On and off the court.
I'm not into kicking people when they're down but good riddance to Heal. He's not up to scratch as a coach. Plain and simple. His coaching record reflects this, two losing seasons at the Kings. He couldn't get the team to perform when it mattered most. He is a legend of Australian basketball but it seems that coaching isn't his go.
So where to now for the Sydney Kings?
3 seasons back in the comp and it appears that morale is at an all time low. When was the last time a coach resigned in a press conference during the season!?
When was the last time a coach signed with a different team in a different country during the season!?
When was the last time an import was sacked and re-signed by the same team in the same season!?
It wasn't all bad, the fact that the Sydney Kings could lure a player of Sam Youngs pedigree is very positive. However, It is a shame that he appeared disinterested for the most part.
We have sat through the re-introduction/rebuilding stage, at what point does this organization take a stand.
Madgen and Garlepp resigning is not overly encouraging for me and here is why:
Madgen is one dimensional. He doesn't effect the game in any other way, he's on or he's off. He can not play defense at all! Opposing teams guards always have good games against the Kings, Beal, Markovic, Clarke - Gouding had 50 points on him! He doesn't strike me as a winner because he hasn't proven that he can do so yet. He hasn't even won a playoff game but he is held in such high regard within the club.
Garlepp had a good year which is expected with more opportunity. Wouldn't you wait to make a play for guys like Vukona or Daniel Johnson or even Forman? (if they are not under contract)
Both seem like good guys but I wouldn't be building a team around either or both of those guys, not at this critical stage, they are both too inconsistent and unproven when push comes to shove. If the Kings bomb again next yr then what, another rebuilding stage?
Ogilvy would be the priority signing IMO. You can justify building a team around a guy who was once considered a NBA Draft pick and he is a Sydney local.
Management need to bite the bullet, dig deep into their pockets, make a splash and bring back a big name. Start with Brian Goorjian.
I would love to see Sam Young play for Brian Goorjian. I'm not a body language expert but it seemed as though he didn't respect Heal, maybe he would respond better to an American coach.
I do realize that money doesn't grow on trees but this is Sydney, it is not a community based team where expectations on and off the court are considerably lower. Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth are all presenting great products to the public and Wollongong consistently overachieve on court, time to step up Sydney!

Topic #34032 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The team picked up some scrappier options like Harvey, Hill, Allen, etc and you're being picky about Madgen and Garlepp! If the Kings didn't want Madgen, I'd take him at the Sixers.

Sign what's worth keeping when you can and then add pieces. That's not necessarily building around them as a core, but grabbing good options in a competitive sportscape when new teams (and thus competition for players) will be problematic in a year or so.

That said, I would clear out quite a lot of them including Young. I don't know that he's worth it. And some of the rest aren't particularly brilliant options.

Maybe try and get Jamar Wilson if he's available.

Sadly, looking around the league, I can see the majority of players they'd need are likely to be contracted or tough to prise away. e.g., maybe you could offer Creek more money and 30 MPG, but there's probably a reason Wright isn't playing him 30 MPG right now. (And Heal already tried Hill.) Maybe they could get someone like Loughton, but is Garlepp enough alongside him assuming Ogilvy goes?

One key might be to bring someone back from Europe (Barlow?) and go after college kids.

Reply #464368 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The first step is to sign a really good coach - Baldwin, Beveridge, Goorjian etc - and make it clear they run the basketball side of things with no interference.

I'd then try to put together a Lisch, Madgen, Cadee backcourt with a rookie and White as the fourth options. Garlepp and Ellis can both play high-low so I'd then look at Luke Nevill, leaving the three-spot open for Young or another versatile 3-4 import.

Nevill/Brandt
Garlepp/Ellis
Import/White
Madgen/rookie
Lisch/Cadee

Reply #464372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This team faces some massive decisions, on and off the court.

If this current ownership group is fair dinkum about building a championship contending unit, now is the time to bite the bullet and start getting serious about hiring a proven, quality head coach (and giving him absolute say on basketball decisions, not leave it in the hands of muppets like that silly team committee of theirs), go after some of the college talent that's out there and be prepared to spend some money on quality imports, not to mention whoever is worth pursuing in free agency. Get a better (and full-time) strength and conditioning coach and start building a proper support structure around the team.

That's the team aspect - the second part is promotion of the game in Sydney. It is at an all-time low right now. Based on the newspapers and television, you'd hardly know the Kings even existed. That has to change. They've got to spend some money on marketing and promoting the game with the understanding that it won't be a quick fix. Crowds were down, membership was down, and it's not a surprise based on the lack of marketing and promotion.

Unfortunately, it's obvious that the current ownership group isn't really serious about the Kings as anything other than a toy for them - there's no leadership, no apparent strategic plan, nothing other than an attitude of "well just be glad you have a team to support."

Not good enough anymore.

Reply #464373 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Kings would be disappointed with their season. They offered so much and at times delivered so little.

When you compare them against other teams:

v Perth: probably as much talent? But were well and truly whipped 0-4 losing by an average of 17 ppg
v Adelaide: 3-1 with all aces. Definitely the bogey side of the Sixers
v Melbourne: 3-1 Once again, had them covered
v 'Gong: 0-4 losing by an average of 10. Gordie out foxing Hammer.
(6-10 against the top 4 teams)

v Cairns: 3-1
v Breakers: 1-3
v Crocs: 2-2
(6-6 against the bottom teams)

Reply #464377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If this current ownership group is fair dinkum about building a championship contending unit, now is the time to bite the bullet and start getting serious about hiring a proven, quality" leader for the owners. (fixed)

Reply #464380 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

"If this current ownership group is fair dinkum about building a championship contending unit, now is the time to bite the bullet and start getting serious about hiring a proven, quality head coach"

This screams of Brooklyn Nets, gets all the pieces for a "win now" championship run, and hires a rookie head coach.

Reply #464388 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Gorj isn't coming back move on Westover would be a chance Smyth I doubt you could get him out of Adelaide but by far the best option behind Gorj his record shows that,Baldwin not a fan of .Palmer no thanks Kerle has been out of coaching any where for to long but his record is impressive Bevos record is not in the same league as the previous mentioned coaches maybe on par with Palmer.Wrights move to Adelaide after being out of the league shows us we need a proven coach with experience with success coaching men not an untried or guy with a poor record like Heals was appointed.
T

Reply #464392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be more concerned about the re-signing of White than Madgen or even Garlepp. He's even more one-dimensional than Madgen & aside from being the only Sydney player in the team (assuming Ogilvy is gone), he doesn't bring much that isn't available from other players that have a more rounded game. Of course he'd be cheap which from my observation has always been the Kings onwers' main priority.

Reply #464394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would you want cadee at the kings when you could get college kid for half the price and he's not going to win you any games

Reply #464395 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Who, the college kid or Cadee?.
Seriously, get what you mean.
Cadee for my money but still need a well paid imported PG. Returning College kids usually need to be broken in.
Would Ellis be disappointed with his opportunities or not? Did this season give him what he wanted?

Reply #464397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Kevin White has been re-signed I will not be attending another Kings game and he MUST have family members among the Kings owners.

Reply #464399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then you won't be attending any more Kings games Anon #464399

They announced after the Crocs game on Saturday that he'd be back next season.

Sheer genius.

Reply #464403 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Is Phil Smyth coaching anywhere?

Reply #464405 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

That's what they wont do! Kings wont have a rookie coach come in.

Keen to see how this pans out.
Keen to see how Heal goes to be honest. Great player and ambassador for our game, so don't want to see him made to look like a twat.

Reply #464413 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@bowtie - I think he's currently coaching at his basketball academy.

Reply #464416 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Kings just announced they've taken up options on Ellis & White for another year.

The new coach won't have much to do by the time they sign them.

Reply #464419 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Only Madgen, White,Garlepp and Ellis signed so far think there will be plenty for new coach to do. Getting the right 2 imports and a replacement for Ogilvy for starters.

Reply #464424 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Please tell me someone in Sydney has got the calendar wrong. Its not April 1yet. Kevin White is the worst player the league has seen in many years.
This is clearly a joke! Even if he might somehow be in your plans as a cheap train on guy, there is no need to sign him yet as NO ONE else would even have him on a list of 20.

Reply #464434 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Bevo to Kings!!

Reply #464482 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

I thought Young signed to another league somewhere?

Reply #464486 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

They should hire Marty Clarke as head coach. His former star AIS players will be knocking down the door to sign with the Kings and he will take them to heights not reached since Goorj turned them from Violet Cumbles into hot fudge.

Oh wait, this is about improving the Kings.....

Reply #464500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good idea, maybe Hugh Greenwood would want to play for his former coach and a few others. HoldenVF.

Reply #464517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damien Cotter to be announced as coach shortly I am hearing...

Reply #464519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, the bar has officially been lowered for next season and quite possibly beyond. Kevin White, really...give a young kid with some POTENTIAL and TALENT a go!
Who is making these decisions and what would be the reasoning? What is the criteria to be a Sydney King?
Does management value a winning pedigree and attitude and pro basketball experience? Clearly not.
If these factors are consciously overlooked then I expect signings this early to have some serious talent and potential! Madgen would be the only guy who comes close to being overly talented in that group.
Please get somebody in management who has a clue! Is there a NBL Draft that I'm not aware of or are the Kings just TANKING for the hell of it!
Cody Ellis...I need more than half a season to be a believer. He is very similar to Garlepp IMO. So this appears to be our power forward combination for at least next season.
The Kings are trying to build a team around a 'core' of players who have done very little winning. Garlepp is the most experienced of that group and he was a career backup player until Heal elevated him to starter and look how that has worked out for him. I don't care how nice those guys are, Sydney deserves a WINNING team to support. Have some pride within the organization. The Kings shouldn't be in do or die games with the Wollongong Hawks.
The last 5 yrs of the Kings (before the FirePower fiasco) were 2 grand finals losses to the Melbourne Tigers and 3 straight championships before that.
When I think of a 'good core' I think of Martin, Redhage, Knight, Wagstaff - Vukona, Boucher, Corletto, Bruton, Abercrombie, Pledger, Webster - Goulding, Walker, Tomlinson, Greer, Ballinger - Martin, Conrad, Forman, Davidson, Gruber - Adelaide look formidable for years to come - Townsville are headed in the right direction with Markovic, Norton, Blanchfield, Crawford, Holmes.
The first 4 signings are quite an average 'core' compared to those guys.
Let's compare the core group of the Goorjian era - Bruton, Smith, Barlow, Sheridan, Knight, Kendall, Wheeler, Stiff, Hinder young talented locals like Luke Martin, BJ Carter, Graham Dann.
If you go back further back in Kings history you have 'core' players like Heal, Nielsen, Melmeth, Drmic, Mcgregor, Trahair. These guys are Boomers or Australian junior representatives, accomplished players who have been in big games.
Now the Kings are moving forward with a core group of Madgen, Garlepp, White and Ellis.
Let's hope some much bigger names are added to the list. Guys who are experienced, battle tested and have winning resumes and attitudes.
Sick and tired of supporting mediocrity. Sydney is a world class city and the Sydney Kings have a proud history, it would be great if management realized this and acted appropriately. No excuses, no more sob stories, just get it done! Perth have made the playoffs for close to 30 years straight!

Reply #464520 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Damien Cotter to be announced as coach shortly I am hearing...

I appreciate the need to move quickly, but unless the top ten candidates have said no, then this is not the right way to go about forming a winning culture. Nothing against the quality of junior coach that he is, but he's a junior coach.

The Kings should be throwing the bank at Bevo and Damo (only one being subject to a salary cap) and see the rest of the team fill in behind them. If they're just hiring Cotter because they think that they can get Gorj down the track and just want someone to fill in for a season, (this "caretaker coach" bullshit article was REALLY worrying and I hope taken completely out of context!) then that just shows the problem with this organisation isn't Hammer, it isn't the players, it's the management and the rot is coming all the way from the top down...

Quality players want to play for a quality coach, no argument. We've had two coaches since the return that have been inexperienced at NBL level, look where it's gotten us.

Just like every man and his dog screaming it from the rooftops that you don't sack your ONLY PG, this decision will also be widely and frequently ridiculed and come back to bite them in the arse when they can't get a decent team together and once again don't win more games then they lose and more punters walk out the door...

Reply #464527 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Bevo to Kings - i'm not saying it again...

Reply #464531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damien WHO!!! How about a career head coach from a professional basketball league. Like Perth and Adelaide hired last season! Rocket science is it!?
Well if there is any truth to this "caretaker" role then I expect caretaker prices for admission and ultimately caretaker performances and results. Joke!
Kings management need to take a good look in the mirror. Cheating the public and cheating the game.
The Kings will never be able to compete in a tough sporting market with a "caretaker" attitude.

Reply #464554 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Every pro league coach had to start somewhere as a rookie & to be fair to Cotter, Bevo wasn't a career head coach from a professional league when he got his first start in the NBL yet now he's the guy the majority seem to be suggesting the Kings try to coax to take on the role. Cotter's background as Emus & NSWIS head coach is very similar to Bevo's... OK, minus a junior World Championship but then nobody else in the league has one of these either.

Reply #464558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to labour on the Kevin White re-signing, but is he actually that good a defender? I appreciate that he gives effort, but I've seen him beaten off the dribble numerous times. Being a poor shooter as well means he can't even fill the "3 and D" role some coaches seem to covet. He may well be a great guy to have at training and in the locker room, but as others have said it's really hard to project what potential and further development he has.

Reply #464564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter may have a great track record at the junior level but we need someone who is proven at the professional level. The Kings have had two 'experimental' coaches since the return to the league, now is not the time for another rookie head coach.

Reply #464568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do realise that Damien was a successful SEABL coach for many seasons don't you?

Reply #464569 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Hard not to remember the Marty Clarke story.
Bevo would not consider this an upgrade or even a same level job.
How much do we think he needs this big a challenge in his career?

Reply #464573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White is an ultra-cheap 10th man who does excellent work in the community and is a Sydney boy. No one is suggesting he's anything close to NBL standard, especially offensively, but he works hard, has a great attitude and will play D for you.

He played way too many minutes last season (15mpg) but provided they limit him to spot relief here or there (say 5 minutes a game max) I don't have a problem with him as a tenth man/glue guy.

Reply #464578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do people forget Bevo did the same job before coming to the NBL (NSWIS HC) that Cotter now completes along with his Kings AC, Opals AC positions... hmmm how quickly people forget. & yes like pointed out above... DC also coached SEABL quick successfully at Knox for a number of years.

I agree that Bevo would be great. Especially if he can bring Martin to Sydney and back to NSW... along with some other big names/ hard working players.

However I do not think we should write the likes of Cotter off and claim its because they are a junior coach etc. This is rubbish. Marty Clarke did struggle, this does not mean the others will necessarily. Each must prove they can coach at the NBL level, if the club believes they can and they are the best available candidate (for the price the club can pay) why not go with them.

I'd rather see a Cotter, Watkins or other get the gig over a S.Heal/ I.Robilliard type who had little to no coaching experience (or at least successful experience).

Names like Ian Stacker, BJ & so on... will not be interested, they now hold more secure jobs (with somewhat less focus on week to week wins/losses). Bevo may also fall into this category, however, I think there is still fire in the belly from to have success in Sydney. Geordie is too loyal to the Hawks, he lives and breathes Wollongong basketball. They'd have to offer something amazing to get him to leave his home/ history.

I do find it very interesting that players e.g. Kev White are being signed without a new coach in place. General coaches like to sign their own fringe players.

Also I would really like to see Shannon Seebohm stay on as a development coach, not so fussed with Hudson (but he will be there).

Anyhow... time will tell. Interesting times ahead for the Kings.

Reply #464579 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I can't see Bevo taking on the job unless they were offering him a LOT of $$$.

Reply #464580 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Why would Martin even consider moving from Perth? He can move for 'family' reasons after his career if he wants. Sydney has such a poor culture it would be crazy for someone ingrained in the Perth culture to even contemplate leaving. I love how you Syd fans assume that someone will always want to move back 'home' to Sydney.

Reply #464583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo is obviously the preferred choice, because frankly I have never heard of Damien Cotter.
There is really only one person for a job like this and that person is Brian Goorjian.
The new 'caretaker' coach will always feel as though Goorjian is breathing down his neck. Less than ideal working circumstances.
40% of a team that didn't make the playoffs have been retained and the current season hasn't even finished yet!!!
Of those 4, 1 is not NBL standard, 1 hasn't completed a full NBL season, the other just completed his first season as a full time starter and the main signing is inconsistent and overrated.
The new coach definitely has his work cut out for himself.
Great job management.
The other 6 signings better be Cederic Jackson, Sam Young, AJ Ogilvy, Joe Ingles and Brad Newley and Matt Nielsen.

Reply #464592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorj asks for way too much money... he's guna be in China until he has had enough...

Anon, had you heard of Bevo before he took the reins at the Razorbacks & then the Spirit, then finally Perth where he had some success???

Wilson Sting... you are getting a bit defensive about this. Damien and Bevo could completely change the Kings culture almost overnight (if they choose to come).

Reply #464604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, I had heard of Bevo, largely due to the rise of Andrew Bogut and the Emus that won the junior world championship.
Damien Cotter, not so much.
This club is in dire straits.

Reply #464617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Heal lol

Reply #464620 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Why would Martin even consider moving from Perth? He can move for 'family' reasons after his career if he wants. Sydney has such a poor culture it would be crazy for someone ingrained in the Perth culture to even contemplate leaving. I love how you Syd fans assume that someone will always want to move back 'home' to Sydney.

He can move for "family reasons" whenever he feels like it, not on YOUR reasoning, actually... He might have stronger family ties than some and with little family members coming along and maybe wanting to settle down and have a family of his own in the next few seasons (as some of his teammates are now doing) then he COULD think that now is a good time to move... I'm not saying that it's a lock, or even a good chance, I'm saying that it's a selling point and needs to be approached that way...

Wilson Sting... you are getting a bit defensive about this. Damian and Bevo could completely change the Kings culture almost overnight (if they choose to come).

Exactly... they're the top two recruits in my opinion for their off court work as well as on court... All it needs is for the management to trust that Bevo knows what he's doing and actually spend money on the things that help an organisation, instead of throwing money at an ex-NBA "star". I'm all for exciting players being in the NBL, but as has been discussed many times previously, there are a lot of flashy players out there for those that are willing to look...

Reply #464637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo won't be interested if the money isn't good (too many moves and stress for family already with West Sydney debacle) plus if it feels like you are there as a stop gap for Goorjian he wouldn't go either as length of contract is important.

But aren't the Kings deluding themselves even mentioning Goorj? No one in the NBL can afford him and I think they are daydreaming so best to forget about any stop gaps and hire someone for the long term.

Reply #464649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings have contemplated Goorj several times before and he's earning a lot of money in China.

Reply #464667 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Sigh. I don't think you people understand that culture can't just be bought/brought in overnight.

Reply #464678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am pretty sure anonymous that Cotter doesn't know who you are nor gives a flyin rats arse about your opinion.

Reply #464685 | Report this post

Bert  
Years ago

^^ hey anonymous I don't even know who anonymous is probably because he is anonymous LOL

Reply #464694 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

But aren't the Kings deluding themselves even mentioning Goorj? No one in the NBL can afford him and I think they are daydreaming so best to forget about any stop gaps and hire someone for the long term.

Yes, they are. Hopefully it's all just talk, as if they're stupid enough to think that they can afford him but willing to put an inexperienced head coach in in the meantime with NO guarantee that Goorj would even consider it, my team is in worse shape than I thought...

Sigh. I don't think you people understand that culture can't just be bought/brought in overnight.

I think YOU people underestimate the value of a great coach and on court leader... That would improve things greatly, but there ARE the problems still of the ownership meddling and lack of decent management. Hopefully a decent coach (and his stipulations that he has final say on his roster) would alleviate this need to fiddle, but fixing the management problem is another issue that is much much harder...

Reply #464697 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Perhaps Brett Brown could recommend someone.
Would he have a good relationship with the Kings?

Reply #464699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't blame Bevo for not wanting to take the Kings job unless they offered him some serious coin. He has achieved enough to not be associated with any 'caretaker' role that management seem to think will be enticing for any credible head coach.
The fact that they publicly said that is idiotic!
Therefor the guy who gets the job will most likely be a guy who is trying to get a foot in the door as a head coach as opposed to an experienced, credible, accomplished career coach.
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for! Coaching is no different.
Who knows where Moose Robbilliard was plucked from and Heal had financial troubles with legal limitations and was a cheap option who brought some exposure for the club. Worth a shot at the time but it was definitely a short sighted gamble considering Heal's lack of experience and poor record with the Dragons.
Now it looks like it's going to be a no name coach who has little to work with at the moment. Not a good combination.
I don't see this being an enticing situation for a player like Damian Martin. Why would he want to take a step backwards? He plays for a professional outfit, in front of a full house, is a fan fave, has already won a championship in Perth, has a chance to win another one this year and most likely contend for more in years to come.
Move to Sydney to play with guys who don't know how to win, in front of a half empty stadium with unprofessional leadership. Doubt it.

Reply #464707 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"I think YOU people underestimate the value of a great coach and on court leader"
This is really only true if the players and/or coach are the issue. From the sound of it, the problem at the Kings is in the front office, which the coach can't really do anything about.

Reply #464710 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Gorj won't be in the mix. Way out of Aust price range now.
Cotter would be good for the club, Wookie, I agree with management talk, but it will never change. The owners have real passion for the game and the Kings and will always have input.
A big name coach (is there one that big in Aust?) might be able to dictate terms, but i doubt it.
1/3 of the roster is now signed on. Not too bad players either by the way. I like the core they have signed.
Still keen to see who they sign, but i'll wait just like everyone else.

Reply #464715 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Some owners no doubt have a genuine passion for the game but I suspect for at least a few, it's a plaything that allows them to mingle with C-Grade celebs & strut around on game nights as though they were a somebody. Nepotism is rife & you hear a lot of comments about the large number of "hangers-on" in the place.

Reply #464718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People say that Goorj is out of the Kings price range, how much would he be asking? And what is an average salary for an nbl coach?

Reply #464724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally i hope the Kings go through a proper selection process for the coach.

See who is out there, interview a few, preferably atleast 1 or 2 with NBL experience, and see who comes out on top, if thats Cotter great, but need to have atleast a few to compare him to and make sure you are getting the best available person.

Cotter could be the next Bevo, but also the next Marty Clarke, so need to atleast put him through the process, see how he stacks up against other coaches out there, not just assume he will be good because he has done well in his other roles.

If possible id try and get someone like Lemanis, Joyce, Hurley to sit in on the panel, even as a non voting member, to give advise help asking coaching specific questions.

Reply #464730 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I do like the idea of having an expert or 2 involved in the selection of the coach since I'm not convinced that the owners or management would know a good coach if they saw one.

Reply #464732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They had the proper selection process in place with their last 2 failed appointments. Nepotism.
Why would it be any different now? Thats the owners poor decision making again / still.

Reply #464746 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It wasn't a "proper selection process" if it allowed for nepotism. Perhaps they need an owner-free committee to decide the new coach.

Either that or throw a truckload of cash at Beveridge!

Reply #464751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turner started it with Moose and the Hudsons of the world continued it. Once Wavish left the leadership all has turned into ego driven owners want to be self important. Heal continued the nepotism and whats the chance Hudson junior will be an assitant yet agin.

Reply #464759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally id try to get guys like Smyth, Stacker, Woolpert, Westeover to apply along with the assistant coaches like Cotter. Also try and get a few top assistant coaches around the league interested.

I'd approach it like this:
Build a committee of about 5 people, 2-3 from the Kings management/ownership and 2-3 basketball/sport coaches id target people like Hurley, Lemanis, Joyce,Barnes (any other non active NBL coach with good record/pedigree) or even a AFL/NRL coaching legend like a Sheedy, Parkin type, who may not know basketball, but they know coaching, leadership, man management, etc and a voice from the outside who can give a logical, reasoned recommendation.
Then get them all to vote after each round of interviews to get the best candidate whoever that may be.

As good as Bevo is, i probably wouldnt through truck loads of cash at him, if he would coach for a normalish NBL wage then great, he would be a great one to target, but if not then move on.

Would someone like Smyth be any worse than Bevo? The current rule interpretations would really suit Smyths style, which is reasonably similar to what Perth are doing this year, and was very successful when he had a top notch roster to work with.

Would the current Wildcats team be doing any better had Bevo stayed, i dont really think so, possibly quite different style, etc, but doubt they really would win any more games than they did, hence why i dont beleive throwing truckloads of cash at Bevo or Gorj is the answer, especially if there is other experienced coaches out there (like Trevor Gleeson was last year), or top young assistants who may be the next Bevo.

The most important thing is though, put all candidates through an equal/unbiased selection process and get the best candidate. Never been a fan of just targeting and throwing money at someone, an AFL example has Mick Malthouse acheived more than Brett Ratten at Carlton? the throwing money at the coach can give you no real benefit. (Not saying Mick is the problem or its his fault, but in reality they would have had the same record or very similar if they just kept Ratten, and would have saved a hell of a lot of cash in the process) Sometimes these coaches who have had success get way overhyped, Roosy may be another one like this at the Demons, probably could have got Neil Craig to acheive similar to what he will in the next 2-3 years, and me throwing Smyths name around as a potential good candidate could be an example of that too, my point being dont just throw money at a big name, can work, but doesnt always, put them in the mix with all aplicants and get the best, no matter what there name is, get the one who proves to the panel they are the best!

hence why its VITAL to put them all through a good process to get the right person.

Reply #464762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D4444 - 100% agreed.
Sydney Kings, please distance yourself from the Home and Away guy that sits court side. He is not Jack Nicholas. Never will be.
Some of the decisions that were made this past season were ridiculous. I had to google nepotism - not surprising. A little boys club!
In a day and age where Australian professional sportsman are more frequently signing multi year, multi million dollar deals, the Kings seek a 'caretaker coach'. No wonder Heal resigned and didn't give them the satisfaction of sacking him!
The funny thing to me is how the club tries to cover up all the blunders over the season, mainly with some amateurish Facebook posts because they rarely got in the paper or on the news. Those articles may work on the casual basketball fans of this hashtag generation but it doesn't fly with knowledgable basketball fans who have common sense!
The jig is up Kings management, bring back Goorjian and stop being tight arses!
The game is dying a slow, painful death in Sydney.

Reply #464777 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's the H&A guy got to do with anything really? How about they hire a coach and the coach hires his players with limited interference from owners? That shouldn't be hard.

Surely any allegation of interference is on the owners and nothing to do with who they socialise with?

Reply #464790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a personal attack on the H and A guy, just highlighting how amateurish the whole game night presentation is in general. We get it, he's a basketball fan but he has been a part of the furniture for yrs now. Give it a break! How about fixing the overall product and eventually more prominent public figures will follow.
I'm more concerned with the first 4 players that have been signed and the rumors of another rookie head coach. What's the rush???

Reply #464795 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Hey anonymous Jack Nicholas is a golfer and Jack Nicholson is an actor.

Reply #464797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like I said, I'm more concerned with the 'core' group that has been signed up before the playoffs have even begun. You know the playoffs that we were supposed to be in!
All this talk of 'were ready and raring to go' before the Hawks game. Lost all 4 games to the Hawks!!!
Played with no heart, no guts, no pride, no fight and then the Kings re-sign close to half of that underachieving team. Idiots!
Add to that rumors of a rookie head coach. Idiots!

Reply #464804 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Before anyone goes jumping into stupid claims, wait and see who the Kings get. Right now no one knows who is chasing who, or if half the names mentioned are even interested.
Dan Ewing is the No. 1 Ticket holder and as such can do as he pleases. He rocks up, supports and promotes. Good on him.
It's actually what all supporters are meant to do yeah?

Only thing I don't like at present is the fact the Kings have signed players prior to a coach being announced, but thats life, they need to lock some players in or lose them!

Reply #464819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The players they have locked in aren't going anywhere anytime soon BMF.
Madgen is trying to follow in Heals footsteps and be the face of the Kings.
Garlepp has been a career 8th or 9th man, he would be over the moon that the Kings have signed him.
Ellis is soft and looks sloppy, seriously doubt many other teams would be cueing up to sign him in a hurry.
White is a hustle guy who AT BEST rounds out your roster, definitely not a valued 'core' guy.
If you are going to sign players before a coach is appointed AJ followed by Young make the most sense! Physical specimens like both of those guys are not often seen in the NBL.

Reply #464837 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If I was coming in as a coach and Young had been already signed, I would be annoyed. Ogilvy is a different story.

Reply #464858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who do they get with no Bevo.

Reply #464888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's available?

Reply #464918 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

A lot of Bevo fans here again look at his record at West Sydney then his record at the Wildcats again I ask how many championships.I am not saying he isn't a good coach but he is not as good as some on here are suggesting.Compare his record with others,

Reply #464930 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

His record at Sydney is pretty irrelevant, given the roster available to him. Beyond that, four years at the Wildcats for first, fourth, second, and second, almost made the grand final despite losing Shawn Redhage mid-season, lost Damian Martin in one grand final and had him at well less than 100% in another...if a few things completely out of his control go the other way, he'd have three titles in four years.

Reply #464943 | Report this post

Bert  
Years ago

You actually make a good point koberulz, well done mate.

Reply #464944 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

So then coaches with a poor roster are excused and if u have injuries u r excused every team in elite sport has injuries my point is he has one championship.So if he is to coach us in Sydney no championship because the roster is not good enough and if Madgen gets injured or Olgivy we can't win.On that theory McLeods record is not relevant,

Reply #464967 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

So then coaches with a poor roster are excused and if u have injuries u r excused every team in elite sport has injuries my point is he has one championship.So if he is to coach us in Sydney no championship because the roster is not good enough and if Madgen gets injured or Olgivy we can't win.On that theory McLeods record is not relevant,

Reply #464968 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I think we all agree from some pretty reliable sources including AJ's Twitter, that he is gone.
Stop mentioning his value to next season's squad.
Madgen the only starter re-signed who will prob remain a starter under the new coach. Whatever monies the Kings have paid White and Garlepp, shows what importance the owners think their role is. I hope they are bench roles and the Kings sign better quality starters.
I like the idea of Macleod with a whole new coaching group tho.

Reply #464973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not guna happen.

Reply #464974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wont be Bevo either

Reply #464975 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Any chance of luring one of the former NBL players now coaching in US college (as per other thread), someone like John Rillie?

Reply #464979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumor is Bevo has already turned the Kings down.

The way this abortion of an ownership group works, expect them to go for the cheapest option possible.

Who would want the Kings job anyway, considering how chronically under-resourced the club is. This is an enormous mess that will take years to fix.

Reply #464987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't blame Bevo for not being interested and yes they are very under resourced it is embarrassing. Little things, like spelling/grammatical errors on the Facebook page. That costs nothing. Once in a while is ok but they drop the ball repeatedly! I don't see the Sydney Roosters Facebook page riddled with mistakes. They post videos, interesting content, not selling singlets at a $20 discount. The Roosters give away cars and the Kings have a closing down sale.
Interesting times ahead, things must be really bad for a guy like Rob Beveridge to decline an offer. That says a lot in itself, he is a proven winner as a coach. Good on him for knowing his worth I say. He knows a sinking ship when he sees one. Great job opportunity but it may only appeal to a select group, a John Rillie American type guy or a cheap local alternative. How much do you think Kings ownership will be offering for the job? What's the going rate for a coach in the NBL?
Thank God footy season is here!

Reply #465007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next step could be a volunteer coach lol

Reply #465305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk is Goorj is outta contract in one more season. Interim coach for that season with someone like cotter being asst to goorj for the future.
Why would the kings spend so much on a coach when they get mediocre players now because the owners are tight arses. Is Koch still involved?

Reply #465315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely they can find somebody better than Damian Cotter!? Or is he related to somebody on the Kings board too?

Reply #465346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please tell us what's wrong with Cotter?

Reply #465351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats RIGHT with him? Who is he? What has he done of note? Not with kids or in the ABA but at the professional level? Nothing that I know of and I have been following the NBL for years.
Look at the 4 coaches in the finals. 3 of them are career coaches and Chris Anstey who is relatively new to coaching but has played professional basketball in Australia, Europe, the NBA and the Olympics.
If this Cotter guy gets the gig Kings ownership clearly have NFI and they are not serious about winning. It is either a very poorly managed hobby or they may be receiving tax benefits. Whatever the case may be, the game of basketball suffers in Australia's biggest city.
Who is Damian Cotter going to be able to recruit really? The only way a proven veteran winning NBL player will come and play for him would be if the Kings offered them a great deal which is highly unlikely it seems. Hopefully the 4 guys they have signed are relatively cheap acquisitions.
What would be the pros and cons for a guy like Mika Vukona (for arguments sake) be to come and play for Damian Cotter and the Kings:
Great city.: Pro.
Cost of living: Probably Con.
Proven coach: Con.
Proven/talented teamates: Con.
Winning culture: Con.
Home court advantage/crowd support: Con.
Professionalism: Con.
Team ownership: Con.
The general outlook does not look great for the Kings moving forward but at least a signing like Brian Goorjian or another proven, tested, PROFESSIONAL, CAREER basketball coach is a step in the right direction. By professional career coach I refer to a guy who has dedicated his life to coaching, not a guy who has works part time with kids where the results are of little consequence to his livelihood.
I want a guy who knows that this job may be his last! That is the level of desperation this club needs right now, not a guy who is local, convenient, the easy option and 'will do' for a year. The time is now, they need a complete makeover not a guy who was Shane Heals assistant coach.
Who are some NBL free agents that the Kings could target? Any good college kids finishing up?

Reply #465385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"if a few things completely out of his control go the other way, he'd have three titles in four years."

That is very disrespectful to the Breakers.

Reply #465414 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hardly. Perth belted them in NZ in 2011, and it took Braswell hitting two or three terrible shots to send it to a third. Perth handled NZ easily throughout the regular season last year, and with Damo would presumably have won the grand final.

Reply #465547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shoulda woulda coulda! the fact is they lost. there are so many factors to a sporting contest, whatever they are you play with them. you wildcats fans are astounding!!!

Breakers with a three peat, respect.

Reply #465573 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Breakers weren't coached by Rob Beveridge, and are thus pretty irrelevant when considering Beveridge's coaching ability.

Reply #465576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beveridge with one ring is relevant though :P

Reply #465578 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not really. You can only judge him on the things he did, and he wasn't the one that injured Shawn or Damo or stuck himself with a budget of $5 to field an entire team in Sydney.

Reply #465584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to your rationale Koberulz, Bevo and the Wildcats wouldn't have beaten Wollongong for the title in 2010 if Ty Mckee didn't get injured!

Reply #465587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo has already declined to coach the Kings go to Ozhoops for reliable info

Reply #465593 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Which post for this reliable info?
Not surprised tho. Was a big "crossed fingers" for Kings supporters.

Reply #465603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You won't see it here.

Reply #465678 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:47 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754