Isaac
Years ago

NBL wants a team in SE Melbourne, EOI closes Apr 6

The National Basketball League is officially seeking a second Melbourne club, with the new team to be based in the south-eastern suburbs.

The NBL has long been keen on a second franchise in Melbourne, but a lack of finances has been a major issue.

League bosses began officially advertising on Monday, with the team to stage home games in the burgeoning south-eastern areas of Dandenong, Casey, Knox and Cardinia.
The NBL has also called for expressions of interest for a Tasmanian club as part of a plan for eight new clubs in the next five years.

Expressions of interest close on April 6.
Full story on the SMH site.

Topic #34033 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

and they have a stadium for this ?

Reply #464383 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I just don't see the point it getting new teams while we still have other under pressure. Be secure (teams/tv etc) then build out.

Reply #464387 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

josh, more teams would mean lowering the average budget across the league, which wouldn't be a bad thing for the existing cash strapped clubs.

Reply #464409 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

More teams (particularly Brisbane/Melbourne II) means a better chance at a TV deal, which means more money for the struggling clubs.

Reply #464410 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

A second Melb team, Brisbane and even Wellington would be good for the NBL imo.
I do want to see cairns,Townsville and hawks survive though

Reply #464411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How embarrassing needing to advertise for EOI.

Reply #464412 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Ill buy it

Reply #464417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty clear that there might be new teams in as soon as next season with such short notice being given.

Reply #464425 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

...what? There'll be expansion in 2015/16. No earlier.

Reply #464429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends how many teams proceed into the next season.

Reply #464430 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

I'd like to see a second Melbourne team but for the love of god please make sure Tasmania gets a team in the league ASAP.

Reply #464443 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Why is it embarrassing? Gets the word out to potential investors far wider than just sending to people you think may be interested. Major companies do it regularly, they don't just rely on an "obvious" option for who may or may not be a potential investor.

Reply #464468 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

My hope here is that with the NBL taking control of its own destiny, not being choked or bogged down by red tape and communication breakdowns that may have existed previously, we may indeed see some positive moves forward for the sport again...

Reply #464473 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Really want Newcastle to comeback in the 2015/16 season, I would sign up as a member first day!

Reply #464485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think Newie's on the radar at all.

Reply #464489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think Newie's on the radar at all.

Reply #464490 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

We went over this last time, it's not embarrassing for the NBL to be advertising/publishing for EOIs.

8 teams is too little, we definitely need to see a Brisbane team and I don't think a second Melbourne team and a Wellington team would hurt either. If it's possible, a Tasmanian team to round out to 12 would be great if it's feasible.

Reply #464494 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Been waiting up here in Brisbane for a while. I'm patient though have switched through other teams to support. Supported Wollongong in 2012/13 then Townsville in 2013/14. I think I will go back to Wollongong next year though.

Reply #464497 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:40 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754