David
Years ago

Stephen A. Smith's presentation style

Does anyone find this guy grates on you when he talks? Every-time the guy talks he virtually yells he's point across in an over-animated, over exaggerated, this point is going down your throat garbage.

Actually I never been impressed with any of the ESPN panelists discussion. They always just seem to hinge on the same players (Kobe Bryant, Lebron James Dwight Howard). And this analysis has so little depth that it's kind of amateurish.

For example the topic Is Lebron James coming back to Cleveland?

Stephen Smith" Lebron is not coming back to Cleveland because Lebron wants to win"

Really in terms of intellectual stimulation in discussion. There is none. If they make any points it's pretty much what you already knew. ESPN panelists get a F in terms indepth analysis or adding something new too the debate that you had not thought about before.

Topic #34042 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

He had a funny rant about the disaster that is the Knicks recently. I haven't listened to him outside of that though. His offsider (Skip or something) seems to be in similar territory.

I like @haralabob on Twitter for his opinions on players though. Check him out if you want a different perspective. (His background is data and gambling.)

Reply #464553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bayless...

can be good to watch First Take when you cant sleep late at night

Reply #464556 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Greg Anthony seems to be the most intelligent. generally non biased, and quite smart with his insights.

Reply #464561 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Him and Bayless are obviously blithering morons of the highest order, who trade in nothing but bile, hyperbole, and innuendos.

Just do a youtube search for "skip bayless gets schooled by..." or "stephen a smith gets schooled by..." and the results are numerous and hilarious. Jalen Rose (multiple times), Mark Cuban (an absolute scorched earth dressing down), Richard Sherman, Kenny Smith; it's literally pages long.

Reply #464565 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

And you can't slog off the entire ESPN network. There's loads of super intelligent people there, it's just the screaming idiots (ie. the loud minority) that causes people to paint the whole thing with the same brush.

Reply #464566 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Him and Bayless are obviously blithering morons of the highest order, who trade in nothing but bile, hyperbole, and innuendos."

Nailed it.

Reply #464582 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Stephen vs Skip is all for entertainment. Nothing more and you would be silly not to realise this. Stephen does make good points however unlike Skip who is a complete moron

Reply #464591 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

Mark Cuban (an absolute scorched earth dressing down)

That was downright embarrassing for Skip.

I did like Stephen A Smiths rant on Kwame Brown.

Reply #464593 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

On a slightly related note, Dennis Scott and Kenny Smith trying to join in with Shaq's free-styling commentary on Shaqtin a Fool is downright embarrassing.

Reply #464597 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Stephen vs Skip is all for entertainment. Nothing more and you would be silly not to realise this. Stephen does make good points however unlike Skip who is a complete moron

Ricey you can't have it both ways. Firstly your criticizing me for suggesting that Smith has no substance when he's viewing is meant for light purposes. Then you say in another breath that Smith is a basketball analyst who makes good points.

He's either a good basketball analysts or he's not. I also think your point that watching them argue is the purpose of their show is wrong. For some reason I thought ESPN was a sports channel- not a shock jock channel like Fox News.

Reply #464612 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

fox news of sports it's very entertaining for the shit fights. Not to take too seriously. Also 'as an educated black man........' this is a funny show. Skip one of the great trolls alive today. But is also capable of writing decent enough articles on ESPN.

Reply #464632 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

No I didn't. I said he makes good points. Doesn't mean he's a good analyst at all times.

Reply #464639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Him and Bayless are obviously blithering morons of the highest order, who trade in nothing but bile, hyperbole, and innuendos."

Understand that they were both told early on when employed by ESPN to put on the act. Which they happily do otherwise no fat ESPN pay cheque and they would have to go back to straight journalism gigs paying less.

Reply #464643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bill Simmons' and Jalen Rose are great espcially on their grantland stuff where they don't holdback unlike when their on espn.

Reply #464880 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

The Cuban dressing down was one of my favourite youtube video's of all time. He just got basically told to sit in the corner like a 5 year old, and it was only the second time I have ever seen him lost for words (When Jalen schooled him was the other)

Reply #465139 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Also these are the only topics they do: Miami Heat, LA Lakers, Lebron Kobe Tebow Manziel race relations that's about it! Ok maybe a little bit more.

Reply #465298 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Was an avid fan of the show for long time. But agree with last post that they get stuck I a topic. The constant Tebow Love(skip)/hate(smith) killed my interest.

Also Cari Champion isn't half the moderator that Jay Crawford was!

ROSE IS THE BEST! Get on the The Jalen Rose Report podcast.

Reply #465302 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:25 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754